2008 Honda Pilot

9.3

Based on 896 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Best car ever owned. No maintenance problems.

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "Good family car and cargo capacity."

Cons: "Slight pause in transmission when acceleating"

"Drive over Sierras and around Tahoe in snow regularly. Great car, best ever owned. In over 5 yrs and 127K miles have had no maintenance problems. Very good gas mileage 21-23 mpg. Have carried 8 adults with 3 in 3rd row. Grand kids regularly like to sit in 3rd row. Great for family travel. great handling and acceleration. Compared to American cars I have owned (Buick LaSabre, Mercury, Plymouth)Honda Pilot has been far superior in quality and durability. Love it."

Disappointment-Sill leaks - Electrical Problems

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Quite, Smooth"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage, High Maint, $$$ Repairs"

"Bought New, Never taken off road, used for communting and town. the BAD - problem with SILL leaks as other reviewer stated. May be why electrical problems but Honda would not repair or credit. Other problems, headlamps, tail lights, airbag sensors, brakes expensive to replace and need replacement often. O2 sensors, 5 ea to troubleshoot, at 100-300 each to replace, catalitic 3, 800 to replace one plus troubleshooting. Transmission leaks at 170k-190k so dont plan on keeping past 150k. This is common for this vehicle according to transmission shops. Have not had repaired. Not enough power for the gas it uses, could use more for the weight. POOR MILEAGE-12-14 AVG. Poor honda service. GOOD - Rides nice, comfortable, quiet for driver, always starts. Never been stranded."

It is best car I ever had and I am 76 years old

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, rides very well"

Cons: "local mileage is not the best"

"Just a great car"

No Complaints, it just works!

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, maintenance free, easy to own"

Cons: "styling"

"Never really loved the way this car looked, but it has been trouble free, amazingly reliable (knock on wood) and easy to maintain. We've had it on several long road trips up to 1,000 miles and my family has had no complaints. As my kids get bigger it would be nice to have more legroom in the back but it is fine for everyday use at the moment. The interior has all the features we wanted but we didn't have to pay a lot extra (i.e. the Toyota 4Runner Limited was $10k more). We've had it in some of the biggest snow storms in N. CA and it was better than I expected. We would certainly buy another one if there was a bigger model. Congrats to Honda they made a car worth the money - now make a bigger version."

Great road trip SUV

By on Friday, August 20, 2010

"After 5 years, and 60k, I'll give it a thumbs up. No mechanical problems so far. This is the best camping/road trip vehicle I've owned - comfortable, lots of room, absolutely reliable, gas mileage is pretty good if you keep the speed down. And it cruises at 75+ easily even when fully loaded, with stuff on the roof rack. My complaints? I am finally putting better tires on, which should help with road noise, which is a bit more than I'd like. The spare is a doughnut rather than a full sized tire - I'll be taking care of that as well. This is not a truck based 4WD SUV. It does fine on snowy roads, but its clearance and traction are not for really rough dirt trails."

Great mid sized SUV

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"We bought an 06 LX AWD with cloth seats, most comfortable seats of any of the 25 or so vehicles I have owned/driven. Got up to 26mpg on trips. No so great on gas back and forth to work though. Fits up to 7 pretty confortably with more room for luggage in the back. Added tow hitch, running boards and roof rack, window and hood shields and it looks a lot better than without. Controls and interior is not bad, cleaned up easily too. Planning to buy another one soon. Not as good mpg as Highlander but much more room and more confortable seats."

best in class

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"This is the 2nd pilot I have owned, the first was in a accident after only having it 9 months, and was totaled when I was forced into a concrete wall going 70 miles an hour. I walked away with only two broken ribs from the seat belt. My present honda I leased for 3 years, and just purchased because of the quality of the SUV. Hope to drive it for many more years. Have not had any problems with the car at all. I also bought an accord since I have had so much luck with the pilot."

Good Car!

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"My 2004 is 4 yrs old with 113K on it. It's been perfect. except for one time when the engine froze at 88K mi. ( well over warranty.) The problem was a rear camshaft bearing. I had changed oil every 5 k mi or so, ( the spec is for 7.5 ), and had the paper to prove it. I called Honda, faxed them the dealer invoice, and they paid for the 2K in parts needed for the repair. Now that's standing behind a product. The car is a virtually perfect design, but strong points are the handling and turning radius. The car looks smaller than it is. Whenever I think something won't fit - it does. It would be nice if the back seat folded flat, and the gearshift is a bit fussy, but those are quibbles. I'm waiting for the diesel hybrid version around 2010."

Safety of this vehicle cannot be matched!

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I purchased my Honda Pilot in May 2003. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. The Pilot has only required routine maintenance, gets good gas mileage compared to other SUVs, and is comfortable. Last, but not least, 3 days ago, the Pilot proved its 5 star crash rating when I was involved in a major accident. The outside was totaled, but the inside looked like it did before the crash. My son and I walked away with just bumps and bruises."

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, July 23, 2015

Pros: "Versatile! 4WD, 8 seats."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be a little better."

"I bought this car the year they came out. Got on the waiting list and stalked the dealership. I have hauled kids, traveled across the country, took it camping in all kinds of areas, and just loved it. Seats eight comfortably, seats can fold down for hauling, and drive safely in all kinds of weather. It can parallel park with ease into the same space as a small sedan. Planned to trade it in for the new version at ten years old but do not like the new boxy body style. The 2003 Honda Pilot was the perfect, reliable, durable vehicle our family needed. Still runs like a charm and has only needed minimum maintenance."

Reliable, affordable, good on icy roads

By on Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pros: "Flawless design and engineering."

Cons: "No very sexy, but who cares?"

"My wife loves this vehicle because she is able to sit up high and see easily in front of her. I like her to drive it because (1) it won't break down, (2) it's heavy and therefore safer in a crash than lighter vehicle and (3) it is relatively inexpensive to operate. Gas mileage around town is about 16 mpg."

this has been a great car. very quiet reliable.

By on Sunday, April 19, 2015

Pros: "reliable, quiet, well built"

Cons: "paint not holding up to fl sun"

"our only complaint are with the paint which has faded on the roof and rear hatch. kids love the dvd player and it has had many road trips.i wish I could buy another as the new body style isn't as nice as the 07. I would buy another one just not burgundy."

Honda Pilot Best Car Ever!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "price, great drive, functional and reliable"

Cons: "change location of front cup holders & rear vents"

"I have now had this car for over 10 years and love it, it was purchased in the introduction year it is dependable, functional and a true family car. I have not had any issues, I would get another one but the kids are all gone too big for one person. Great value for the money!"

I love love this vehicle.

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"It has a great ride, visibility is good and highway milage has been close to 25 mpg. It has been extremely dependable, probably the best vehicle I have ever owned."

one of the best

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Cons: "slightly underpowered"

"great vehicle good fuel mi. 23mpg surprising offroad performance wouldnt want to do continuoslly but occasionally great not built specifically for this absolute great road ride lacks a little power on hilly roads perfect family vehicle roomy and comfortable seats for long trips have 2003 accura tl type s also pilot is vehicle of choice for comfort,no comparrison"

Afraid of Owning anything other then a Honda

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Handles well for a SUV"

Cons: "Mileage?"

"My first new car was the 2004 Honda Pilot which runs like a champ. Other then a water pump and a window motor she had been well worth the value. Handles well for a larger car, gots plenty of torque and stops on a dime. Wish the rear window opened but love the interior space. Feels more like a sedan then an SUV and has plenty of under carriage space for things like pot holes."

Nice ride but needs some more features and options

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reason: I wanted a car with more features

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Bare on features, cheap leather, man. Passenger st"

"I bought it new in 2003 in silver with gray leather and a rear entertainment system and sold it in December, 2012. The leather was ALL wrinkled and cracked by 52,000 miles. This car was very bare on features. While competitors had heated seats, power everything and moonroofs! This car was very affordable and priced $2000 less than competitors. I wish I did get a competitor but this vehicle wasn't that bad. The only reason why I kept it was because I don't drive many miles. I wish the car had a power passenger seat, heated front seats and a sun/moonroof. What I like best, is that I got over 1/3 of its msrp back when I traded it in ($10,000)! It keeps it value too! Anyone who doesn't really need bells and whistles it is a great car for you! Same for first drivers! The rear seats were comfortable and 3rd row was sooooo easy to access. I never used the 3rd row so it looked brand new despite a small almost invisible scratch. The front seats get uncomfortable after an hour so you need to adjust the seat and lumbar. The cars bare on options too. The options available were 17" rims, window visors, navigation or res. As I said earlier I traded I this car for a certified, 1 owner, loaded Mercedes GL550!"

Dependable, comfortable transportation.

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "I feel secure in this car. Feels sure-footed."

Cons: "gas mileage could be better"

"I purchased new and have had 5 years of satisfied use of this car. It seems stable on curves and hills. Radio controls on steering wheel are convenient and do not require removing my eyes from the road."

Very reliable, even with high mileage

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Room, reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage about 19 combined."

"No air conditioning or expensive repairs at all. Tires have been largest expense."

Nice comfortable car 3 row seating 4 wheel drive

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Had it for 4 years nice car 3row seats silv 4x4"

Cons: "Needs rear door shock carpets cleaned lil talc"

"Good paint,good seats good gas mileage,need rear door shock car has had 100.000 mile tuneup including timing chain and harmonic balancer,oil change new brakes and drums.also new belt.only 105.000 miles"

solid,reliable vehicle

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "handles like a sports car"

Cons: "slight road noise"

"great car with no problems at all. my wife loves her pilot"

Excellent Choice

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

"After being in a bad accident, I bought my Pilot brand new, mostly for the safety features. Ive had it for 6 years now and 121k miles...couldn't be happier with it. I have followed the maitnance plan and my car still runs like new. The Pilot is safe..spacious and good on all road conditions. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a mid sized SUV."

Reliable, comfortable and carries a lot of stuff.

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "Carries a lot of stuff in comfort."

Cons: "Poor rear view visibility."

"Purchased this car to carry soccer team and it did. Also have used it to transport rescue dogs, kids to college and on errands. Lots of room inside. Has a comfortable ride and nice seats too. Very reliable transportation. Only drawback is rear view is impaired which makes backing up difficult."

Low maintenance, very reliable, comfortable

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"This is the first Honda vehicle we've ever owned. Owned 3 VW's before that and had a lot of problems with all 3 of them (even though they were a blast to drive, when everything worked). During the first 5 years, the only unscheduled maintenance we needed was $180 for new front suspension links. They actually began rattling at about 3 years old. Just replaced the brake pads and rotors at 41,000 miles (5 1/2 years) - mostly city driving. The only other thing I've done is have to tighten the rear hatch latch attachment bolts (10 min. job I did myself). So overall, a VERY reliable vehicle. As far as comfort, we've taken it on two long-distance trips and we averaged 22mpg on one trip (70 mph and used A/C) and 24 mpg on the other trip (60-65 mph with no A/C). City driving renders about 16 mph (I think the heated seats use up about 1/2 mpg!). The only additional equipment we have is the auto day/night dimming rearview mirror, which is one of our favorite features - it works like magic. One of the only complaints we have is the freeway driving noise is a little higher than it's competitors (Explorer, Highlander, etc.) and the engine idle noise seems a little higher than necessary (you only hear this if outside the car, or windows are down). The 3rd row seat is very easy to use. We regularly take 6 people (soccer team carpooling) and there is plenty of room. The little compartment which stows the 3rd row headrests is quite clever (when the 3rd row is stowed and not in use). The spare tire is good-sized and relatively easy to get to in order to put air in it a couple times per year. The Pilot has one of the best turning radii in its class. In fact, it turns sharper than the VW cars that we've owned! And the steering is very good on the highway, as far as keeping centered in one's lane. The Maintenance Minder annunciator system works very well, so we never miss oil/filter changes and other miscellaneous recommended maintenance. The only "annoying" part to the vehicle is that whenever you turn on the environmental system, it automatically turns on the A/C compressor with it. Most of the time when the compressor is not needed (winter, spring, and fall), you have to make a 2nd button push to disengage the compressor (to save fuel and wear/tear on compressor). If the humidity/moisture is higher (during winter snowstorms, or rain events) the 3rd row side windows have a tendency to fog up quicker than would be expected. And in this case, a liberal use of the a/c compressor will do the trick. Overall, no vehicle is perfect. But, the 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L is as close to a perfect vehicle in my book. Highly recommend it for those who need or desire an SUV. We will likely keep it for 15 years."

solid vehicle

By on Thursday, May 05, 2011

"My wife wanted one of these so bad she couldn't stand it so in 2006 we purchased our 2003 Pilot. It has been her primary vehicle for the last 5 years and we have put 75000 miles on it. A set of fuel injectors and a fauly power door lock have been the only non routine mainteanance items we have encountered. My wife loves it and says that if she could, she would keep it forever or replace it with the same thing. I'm not as enthusiastic as she is about it but I can not deny it's reliability. I do wish mileage was better. We currently get an average of 18mpg with mixed driving and have seen as much as 21.5 on a highway trip. But, for a family vehicle that is capable in all four seasons and can tow most moderate loads its a great vehicle."