2007 Honda Pilot

9.3

Based on 881 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Built to Leak? Serious water leaks doorsills/floor

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"Loyal, 20-year, three Honda owner. My newly purchased 2008 Honda Pilot Ex-L 4WD leaks water inside four doorsills with every heavy rain and every car wash. Serious manufacturing defect allows water leakage along door seals into/under inside doorsills up onto carpet edges. Water stands up to 30 hours until all four doors are opened and the rubberized foot guards are pounded and mopped. Rubber-backed carpet hides leaks and mildew. American Honda states that water seepage is "normal" because Pilot's door is "not a sealed door." Trusted dealer states "2008 Pilot was re-designed to siphon rainwater into inner doorsills" to correct more serious leakage problems with 2006-2007 models (see Honda Technical Service Bulletin 07-010). No repair possible. Unclear how widespread this manufacturing defect actually is. My advice: Water test before you buy."

Great buy for city folk

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"First let me say I am extremely satisfied with this vehicle. I've owned it for four years and had no issues whatsoever. The most-used seats (front and middle rows) are comfortable, plenty of leg room, copious cup holders in convenient locations, surprisingly fits two child seats in the LATCH system hooks with just enough room for a skinny person to sit between them in the center row. The rear row leaves some "room" for improvement. It claims to fit three people, and is equipped with seatbelts accordingly, but unless those three are preteen children and/or short and slender, your knees will be pressed into the back of the center row and you will be fighting for elbow room. Also the driver may not be able to see the rear view over the heads and shoulders of rear-row passengers. Although it claims 4WD status, the Pilot isn't designed for true fully loaded off-road use. You'll have no problems with rough, uneven dirt roads and some light off-road use (i.e. undeveloped camp sites, mud/slush), but the bumper clearance fore and aft of the axles doesn't allow for steep angles of attack when traversing hills. Also, most after-market tow packages won't work without some modification, as the tailpipe is poorly placed where the crossbar should go. The flimsy plastic shade/spoiler over the rear window does not allow for a strap-on bike rack to be attached, but if you can get a roof mount or trailer-mounted one and hitch that works you'll be fine. The roof rack does not include crossbars, those are an add-on option, and the roof's weight bearing capacity is less than what you'd expect from an SUV, but this is probably due to balance issues rather than actual strength of the roof. The Pilot rides like a passenger car, and can feel deceptively stable in high speed turns and on lateral slope. Although I haven't rolled mine (yet!), the threshold between balanced and whoops-too-far, while by all means safe, seems thin and sneaks up on you if you're driving faster than you should be. The push-button 4WD works great for getting out of less than 10 inches of mud, or that extra traction to get up a moderately steep gravel road, but is not designed for full-time 4-wheeling. I average just over 19mpg on 87 octane, mostly city driving, but then I'm consciously a bit lighter on the accelerator ever since the crazy gas prices last summer. On road trips it gets up near 25 mpg at 70-75 mph. Interior setup is near-perfect, everything is within easy reach of the driver and with a couple weeks behind the wheel you should be able to find and reach all the controls for everything without looking or having to leave your normal driving posture. Stereo sounds better than I expected on a stock system, I thought about upgrading, but then who needs to blast 12-inch subs in a family vehicle? Instrument panel is well lit, sensibly colored, and easy to read. Thumb controls for stereo mode, volume, and chapter skip are conveniently located on the steering wheel inside the circle, opposite the cruise controls. Visibility of nearby obstructions (posts, tree trunks, large rocks, etc) is good in all directions except straight back, which is par for any SUV. Backup camera is an option on newer models, I hear. Overall this is a great vehicle for anyone who isn't expecting a rough-and-tough off-road vehicle. Its perfect for someone who needs extra space to haul kids and their associated accessories (bags, sports equipment, friends), road-tripping, and wants a vehicle they can use to haul the family up to Big Bear for camping or skiing. Highly recommended."

Love the Pilot

By on Friday, June 08, 2007

"My husband and I purchased our Pilot after the birth of our second child because we needed more room. I had been driving a CRV, which I loved, before we bought the Pilot (and I hated to see the CRV go because it had been a great car). That was a year ago, and today we all love the Pilot. PROS: It is VERY roomy, very comfortable, and it looks great. Additionally, the price could not be beat when compared to comparable vehicles (we paid $23k for ours, new). We are pleased with the gas mileage that the Pilot gets, and it has plenty of power. There are power outlets all over the vehicle, which I also like. Also lots of storage space and cup holders. We got the cloth interior, and it (amazingly) cleans up pretty easily. The extra headrest storage in the back can double as wet storage (which you need if you have kids with wet swimsuits, muddy shoes, or a bucket of tadpoles that they insist MUST come home with them). CONS: The paint does seem to chip easily. I also noticed that the windshield cracks easily (I experienced that with my CRV, too). Even small rocks can leave a "bullseye" on my windshield. The spare tire is not full-sized, which seems silly for a car of this size - ya' need a full-size spare. Also, there is no fold-down armrest in the back seat (even the CRV had that). Overall, we are very pleased with the Pilot and love to drive it. Even my husband, a sports car guy, loves to drive and ride in the Pilot."

Most reliable, economical car ever.

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Most economical, reliable car ever!"

Cons: "No walk through to 3rd row and/or captains chairs"

"Compared to my old cars, and the cars of family members, this car is gold. Mind you, i am comparing to a new x5, passat, and most recently, my husband's 2012 bmw X3. My 8 year old pilot gives a much smoother, quieter ride than his! It is unbelievable. I bought it new 8 years ago and changed the oil every 3000 miles. Even that was inexpensive. I finally had to fix something at my last, 74,000 check up. I would only suggest getting an upgrade on tires if you live in an icy or snowy climate. I finally got new Michelin tires when we moved to a house with a steeper driveway, and new tires made a huge difference."

The best vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive not bad on gas. V6 power"

Cons: "A little slow pulling something."

"I brought this 2006 Honda back in the middle of may of 2009 with 45000 miles and now it's has 129200 miles on it and still drives very good. I had a minor problem with it one time and other very little problems but it's was never repeated again. The paint still looks good because it's stays inside the garage a lot and I always try to park it in a shade or near a shady spot. I keep the paint waxed three times a year. I always service it myself I change the oil every 4000 miles I don't follow what the oil life says because from 100 percent to 15 percent oil life is too long about almost 8000 miles so I change the oil when the oil life says 40 percent and then I reset it back to 100 percent. I just don't feel comfortable passing 4000 miles for oil change. I used the best oil I can find. I change the transmission fluids every 15 to 20,000 miles myself its very easy and only cost 30 dollars myself. It's very easy to do all the services myself the only thing I can't do is the timing belt dealer will have to do that for me. I put on a nicer 17 inch alloy wheels from Honda and its really make the vehicle looks nicer having a little bigger wheels. I always use tires that helps save fuel and every time I need a new tires I watch for something that will help save gas because some tires can make your vehicle waste more fuel. I get about 20 to 21 mpg in city where a city that is flat but here in Colorado springs is very hilly I get 18 to 20 but mostly 19 in town. On the highway where it's flat sometimes I get 31 to 32 if driving 65 mph. But mostly between 26 to 28 on the highway. My pilot is a two wheel drive that why better mpg. Very roomy and comfortable and I can sleep in the back with all seats fold down and it's comfortable staying at camp grounds in Oregon, Washington, and in Colorado I feel safer camping in my own vehicle with doors locked. It's pull a camper trailer very good under 1500 pounds but over 2000 pounds it's very slow pulling camper trailer in steep mountains area so I decided to sell camper trailer because I feel like its hard on the vehicle. I only bring a tent with me or sleep in vehicle. AC is still cold for almost eight years. I am planning to keep this vehicle until its has almost 400,000 miles or maybe more. It's been a great vehicle and still is. The older it's getting I will be expecting a few problems showing up but I don't think big problems going to happen."