• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2006 Honda Pilot

Based on 837 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Transmission problems!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I have been pleased with the Honda '04 Pilot I purchased new, until this week when I was told that the transmission should be replaced. Only after 3 years with higher mileage at 73,000. I have never hauled anything with the Pilot, never experienced any rough off-road driving, never expereinced any issues that would lead one to think, Oh, wow, that might have hurt the car! The transmission fluid was supposedly checked in mid-July and it was "good". The ride was good, a bit noisy, there is plenty of room and a smooth drive. I am befuddled, disappointed and disillusioned! My first Honda and now my last!"

Safety of this vehicle cannot be matched!

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I purchased my Honda Pilot in May 2003. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. The Pilot has only required routine maintenance, gets good gas mileage compared to other SUVs, and is comfortable. Last, but not least, 3 days ago, the Pilot proved its 5 star crash rating when I was involved in a major accident. The outside was totaled, but the inside looked like it did before the crash. My son and I walked away with just bumps and bruises."

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

Really good SUV but not Perfect

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"There are lots of great features to this SUV and those are easy to identify up front. But I have had my Pilot LX for 2 years now and can point out some things I think should be checked when considering your purchase. I have owned many Hondas. I really respect the reliability built into just about every one of them. But I have been burned by a broken timing belt in an Accord before (valve damage). If Honda is going to build an interference engine (valves and pistons overlap space) they should use a timing chain. It is the one thing that makes me question buying my Hondas every time. To avoid damage replace the crummy belts at 60000 miles 300-500 bucks. No matter they say 100000 miles. Next the tailgate should at least have an option to lower the window. It would be nice when hauling something very long or if I didn't want to open that monster tailgate. Lots of visible locations where primer is visible and not coated the body color. Rear air should be overhead. Console has places that things vanish. The 12v socket covers break easy. Gas tank will hold 25 gallons but stops at about 19.5. Takes forever to top. Not a quiet vehicle although different tires helped a little. On the 05 LX it is not possible to turn on defroster without the AC on. I live in a dry climate and sometimes the windshield just needs some heat. It does not turn AC off if switched to a different mode. So the AC ends up running more than is needed. Drivers side window auto up/down is easy to clear program and has to be reset often. Although easy most people just give up. Glove box is kind of small although there is plenty of storage elsewhere. Seats begin to hurt under thigh after a couple of hours. Otherwise not bad seats. Front tires wear very quickly. Windshield wiper control uses the twist to turn on rear wiper and stalk up and down for the front wiper. I find myself always turning on the rear wiper by habit from my other Hondas. When rear heat is on, console can become unbearably hot. And lastly the front brake rotors seem to warp easily."