2006 Honda Pilot

9.3

Based on 898 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Doesn't drive like it has high miles

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE. Easy to service avoiding costs."

Cons: "Handles bulky, both on corners and while braking"

"Bought this car with 205K miles on it, with no worries whatsoever. Every mechanic I spoke to had no qualms about purchasing a high mileage Honda pending a pre-purchase inspection, and thus far this vehicle has not disappointed. The previous owner made a point to do regular maintenance on the required intervals, and this vehicle acts as though it's just been broken in. Everything is original with no major maintenance, and even items like the seats and other high-touch items have handles wear well. Just completed the timing belt and spark pulgs at it's required 210k mile mark, and expect this vehicle to take me and my family onward for another 100K+. Couldn't be happier with this vehicle."

Handles great!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Handles great, reliable, goes anywhere, decent mpg"

Cons: "steering column, back doesn't lay flat"

"After looking at SUVs for over a year we bought the 2004 Pilot EX in Dec 2009 when it was 20 below. Had 97000 miles on it with all maint. records. Drove it sraight up a hill in a foot of snow on the first day & didn't even have to use the low 4x4. Took it on a trip to CA a month later and down the back roads in Death Valley. Handled awesome! Tight turn radius, good traction on rocky, bumpy gravel roads. Got 25mpg on level hwy, 21 in town. Got 25-29mpg hwy. on trip into Yellowstone & down into WY. Put better traction tires on last year & it dropped the gas mileage down to 18-22mpg 8( but can take it anywhere now. It takes whatever MT roads dish out. Had to replace the air conditioning unit at 115000 miles but just regular maint. otherwise. Love the big windows and great visibility. Only neg. is the steering column doesn't adjust high enough to see full speedomoter for taller people and the back doesn't lay completely flat. Love this vehicle and don't want to drive anything else. I trust it to take me where I want to go with out problems & have fun doing it. Already have 149000 miles on it and will drive it til we can't keep it running anymore. Maybe by then I will grow to like the new Pilot styling cuz I'm sticking with the Pilot."

2008 Honda Pilot EXL

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Having 6 SUV's since 1985, I can honestly say this is the best one to date. The pilot is very confortable, and I do not feel tired after a long drive. Mileage on the road is a little better then my past SUV's. I am glad I bought this one, even though I know that the Honda Pilot is having a design changie in 2009."

The best purchase I've ever made in my life!!!

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "Pick up, reliability, comfortable to ride & drive"

Cons: "No adults on 3rd row"

"I currently have 199,800 miles (and counting) on my 4WD 2005 Pilot. I purchased it in '08 with 29k miles on it. When I drove it home my neighbor said I'd NEVER have a problem with it. He was telling the truth!!!! The only way this SUV is leaving my possession is when I purchase its smaller counterpart (the CR-V) at which point I'll gift my Pilot to one of my (now grown) children. It's safe, durable, uber reliable and strong enough to uproot a tree (I did in the 1st month that I owned it). I have the EX-L and I love the front seat warmers, sunroof and leather seats. Matter of-fact, those will have to be a must in my CR-V. This car is so durable, I even love how the paint has held up. I really do believe this engine will last another 200K miles. I look forward to many more oil changes and life memories with grandchildren learning to drive this vehicle. Thanks Honda! Due to this purchase you've got a family of customers for life!"

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great maneuverability, cargo room and reliability"

"My pilot just keeps going! I love knowing I can reasonably expect to put 350,000 miles on this vehicle. It seats 8 including car seats plus other small luggage. I have no issues in snow or icy weather or getting around our farm. The pilot gets decent gas milage considering its a bigger SUV and 4WD. At 215k miles I had to fix something other than basic maintenance, and it was just a couple of sensors. Well worth the expense, in my opinion. Here's what I would change: the rear window needs to open independently from door to quickly drop small items in cargo area; when front seat is all the way back, there isn't much leg room for a toddler in a car seat in the 2nd row ( my kids are always kicking the seat cuz my hubby is 6'3"); I wish it was a bit quieter- road noise wise (I use top of the line tires cuz I put a lot of miles and it's still noisy). All that being said - when this pilot finally dies - I will buy another one!"

Great Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and dependable, great in weather."

Cons: "Pricey. MPG could be better"

"Gas mileage could be better. However drives great, dependable, handles in snow and ice better than any other vehicle I've had with one exception. (The exception was NOT dependable) Has required little maintenance and body is still solid without rattles or air leaks. Love this car."

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY PILOT

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Holds value"

Cons: "Cup holder not convenient for driver"

"Bought used (certified). I've had for 3 yrs. Love the ride, the get up and go, roominess, comfort, utility, and look of it. Gets better gas mileage than they say. Vehicle of choice when we travel. This is my 29th yr of owning Honda's. I've never had a Honda leave me stranded on the side of the road."

Nice for traveling, well built

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "Good road car, versatile for all-arond needs"

Cons: "Mileage, driver knee space"

"The only real downside to this vehicle is the mileage. The best we can ever expect, which will come on a full day of steady freeway travel, is 20-22 mpg. This is a great road car. A few times a year we have travel days of 400-500 miles, and it performs well. Plenty of power on hills or for passing, smooth riding, reasonably quiet. We have only needed to use the 3rd row seat a few times, but it has been great to have it when we need it. The 3rd seat is wider than the 2008 Toyota Highlander, which is one of the reasons we chose the Honda. We have not yet had any repair bills, just regular maintenance. We replaced the original tires at about 40,000 miles. It still has the original break pads, which is impressive at over 70,000 miles. Two minor issues: It is easy to drop things between the seats and the center console and almost impossible to retrieve them. We keep a stick handy to work into the gap to push items out. We may try folding a towel and placing it in this space. The other issue seems to be common in other Hondas we have owned. The knee space for the driver is minimal. To have the most comfortable knee space, the seat needs to be moved back to where the arm reach is too long."

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable, great car, looks good"

Cons: "There are none"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and its 2012 and it's still going strong! I drive to work and school everyday and it's always been reliable. Other than regular maintenance (brakes, oil, tires) I've never had to replace or fix anything. I'm not a perfect driver and I do occasionally run over curbs or take it off road and this car can handle it without any problems. I love this car and I don't think I'll ever get rid off it!"

My first dealer-bought car

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Storage, power, amenities, comfort, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very small space between front seats and console"

"I was set on buying a Kia once I finished school and got a "real" job. I test drove a Sorento and several other makes of used mid-size SUV's. I was not excited about the Pilot at first based on a photo which showed the gear shifter blocking the radio and climate controls. But once I drove it (and the gear shifter miraculously moved out of the way), I was getting warmed up to the idea. Compared to the other 7 or so cars I drove over two days, I started to love the this car. I settled on the Pilot after NEARLY signing on the Sportage. The mileage was a bit higher than I had hoped at over 103K at 6 years old at the time, but it IS a Honda, after all. The Pilot has guts, great brakes, a quiet and smooth car-like ride, leather everything, power everything, 3 12 volt outlets, shoulder seatbelts for all 8 passengers, dual zone climate controls, storage galore, hooks, adjustable middle row seat, split rear seating, both rows fold down (although the middle row does not go flat as I had hoped), cup holders for pretty much every passenger, side air bags for the front, sliding and tilting sunroof, 7 in-dash CD slots, tape player (which is great for an AUX-to-tape converter so I can stream music from my phone), steering wheel controls for cruise control and audio, great visibility at all angles (only one very small blind spot, which is solved by a small convex mirror on the driver's side), heated seats, roof racks, heated electric side mirrors, tire pressure monitors, interior safety lighting, and did I mention STORAGE!?! Under the hood is roomy and easy to work in, unlike some other foreign makes. The spare tire is hidden under the rear of the body, so there are no ugly plastic tire covers blocking the rear view. Speaking of the rear view, since it was manufactured before rear cameras became fairly standard, I installed an after-marked camera which activates when the reverse light is on and transmits a wireless signal to a clip-on rear-view mirror with a small window that shows what's behind me. I call it "The Cap'n" and I love him! I've had it for 3 years exactly today and I hope to have him for at least 10 more!"

Honda -- reliable

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Leather tears"

"This car is my third Honda. I wouldn't own anything else. My only complaint is the front leather seats on both sides have tears in the seams."

One of the best vehicles I've ever had.

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Purchased new in 2006. Great driving position and driving comfort. Great for all-around carrying capacity. Very reliable - it is a Honda! Have not had any problems with vehicle."

Got my 2005 in Oct. 2004. Still own it to this day

By on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Pros: "Good for light towing, comfortable ride"

Cons: "road noise, rattle in dash, middle seats not flat"

"I wanted a Pilot as soon as they were introduced and replaced the Passport. I only have 60,000 on my 2005 but hope to add many more miles to it now that I'm semi-retired. Use it to pull my 3,000 lb camper over Worf Creek Pass, CO without any difficulty at all. Some road noise and a rattle/squeek inside dashboard somewhere. Middle seats don't fold completely down. Otherwise, it has been perfect for the past eight years."

I LOVE my Pilot

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Safe, spacious, auto everything"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"It is very spacious, very reliable and easy to drive. It has a GREAT turning radius and it can take a hit! I've been in a couple of fender-benders (they hit me!) and every time, my pilot was hardly damaged while the other car needed major repairs! Perfect family vehicle!! The only thing that could be a bit better would be gas mileage, but for an SUV it's not bad. I get about 18 miles to the gallon!"

This Honda is my favorite.

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"I bought my Pilot in 2003 and I'm still loving it. I'm almost 50 (yikes) and I've owned several different autos over the years--three different Honda models--but, this is the best auto ever! I have stuffed my Pilot (always comfortably!) with two adults & six kids, with five adults & three kids & one time I drove alone--with all of the seats lowered--and fit a queen-size bed inside. And, it fit WITHOUT having to leave anything open or tied down! I have piled pounds and pounds of mulch in the back, and I've carted family from the Midwest to the South several times, but my awesome little Pilot keeps on moving as well as it did when I bought it almost six years ago! Although my husband has tried to talk me into a new Pilot (so he can get a new car too!) I'm just too satisfied with my *old* model right now. When people first ride in it, the first thing they say is, 'it's just like driving a car!' And, it is. It sits lower to the road like a sedan but it has such beautiful power! If I do make the move to a NEW auto--it will be another Pilot! My favorite auto to drive!!"

Solid Vehicle

By on Monday, August 25, 2008

"We have a 2003 Pilot and I enjoy every minute driving it. It's the best and most solid vehichle we have owned over the past 35 years. We've put on about 83,000 miles and the original tires are still good. It runs like a top; we've really done nothing more than kept up with the maintenace plan - I highly recommend using Honda dealer service. My friends know I can't say enough about this vehicle."

Favorite Vehicle We've Ever Owned!

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"We have always owned Toyota 4Runners, but decided to purchase the Pilot after driving it & checking out a friend's. We are very impressed with the reliability--we have never had one single thing break & we're at 70K miles now. The exterior still looks great & modern, even though a couple newer bodystyles have come out since '04. We get around 15--16 mpg around town & 19-22 mpg on trips. Here are the only negatives I have: The 3rd row seat is, in my opinion, for kids only. It's uncomfortable for adults (and I'm small). But granted, it's not a minivan. The perforated leather seats are not easy to keep clean with the kids. If you drop anything on the inside of the front seats, it is trapped forever down beside the console. You cannot reach down there & that's annoying. The headrests are uncomfortable. Those are small things to us compared to what we love about our Pilot. It's roomy, the DVD system is great. The seats fold flat for hauling larger items & it is a very smooth ride."

Side Curtain Airbags a Winner

By on Monday, December 03, 2007

"Although the Honda Pilot wasn't as "sexy" as some of its competitiors, I purchased it for it's ruggedness and simplicity. With teenage drivers, I thought the lack of electronics and bells/whistles would actually be advantageous as the vehicle aged and was handed down to my sons. My philiosophy is if "it's not there, it can't break" and be a future liability. This past weekend I was T-Boned at an intersection by a Dodge Ram pickup that ran a red light. The side and curtain airbags deployed and I walked away without injury. My poor Pilot took a beating but due to its inherent safety features came out suprisingly well. I was very thankful for the engineering and anti-rollerover design. Thank goodness for the 5-Star side impact safety rating!"

238,000 and still rolling.

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Gas mileage, but typical for SUV."

"Bought it used with 60,000 miles and it just turned 238,000 miles. JUST NOW developing some mechanical issues. Great on road trips, plenty of room cross country with 3 kids and a 100lb lab. Drives so well I have never even needed to engage 4wd, even in extreme weather. Very versatile--was able to fit (just barely) a twin mattress and frame in the cargo area with seats folded down. Still looks great, interior has held up well except chrome on the door handles cracks and will draw blood. Very roomy, except the third seat, really only suitable for those under 5 ft. Best, most reliable car I have ever owned. Hope it passes 300,000!"

Great car!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Great family vehicle and handy."

Cons: "Little too tall for this 4'10" retiree!"

"I don't need a car this big any more - its 8 passenger. Has gray leather interior with 3rd row seating. Very comfortable riding vehicle and very handy having the fold down seats."

love my honda.

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "all around great vehicle."

"I am disabled, and most vehicles I can get in and out of with some discomfort, and effort. I can do so in my pilot, with ease. I can drive without being uncomfortable, even long distances. There are minimal blind spots, and spacial orientation is comfortable...not many vehicles I can say this of. My grandsons and daughters all fit, 8 seats! I love it. Overall, it is most efficient, and gets good mileage."

Great performance and realatively efficient

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "dependable ride"

Cons: "cargo area does not convert 2 flat surface/ pricey"

"no major failures over 135K miles. have replaced tires, belts and water pump. My only concern is that when rear seats are down, the surface is not totally flat."

Great low maintenance hauler

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low Maintenance, great pick up and room"

Cons: "Can be a little noisey at 70mph+ speeds"

"We've had the 2007 Pilot for over 7 years and have driven it on long drives to Florida and DC from Michigan multiple times without issue. The Pilot handles the nasty snow storms with plenty of grip and clearance. The Pilot is surprisingly large inside - the SUV swallows a 7ft Christmas tree with the seats down without issue. The best thing I like about the Pilot is the low maintenance. The pilot has only needed regular oil changes and the recommended manufacturing maintenance. In comparison I have a 2000 Audi S4 and I've spent about $10k in maintenance over 13 years."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and affordable transportation"

Cons: "Noisy on highways, particularly after 70 MPH"

"Purchased this vehicle used with 6600 miles on it in early 2004. Have since put on over 260k miles. Its an awesome car and has never left me stranded. I have changed the oil on it every 3500 miles and done all of the preventative maintenance including major 30k service intervals and changing the timing belt every 90k miles. Everything on it still works with the exception of a low buzzing sound that comes from the sound system after it plays for 20 minutes that the Honda dealer could never fix. Outside of that, nothing leaks, it doesnt burn oil, the paint hasnt oxidized, the leather seats havent torn despite two young children, and the AC still blows cold."

Just what I wanted.

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Big, safe, reliable, comfort"

Cons: "None really come to mind."

"I did my research for a bout 1 year prior to buying. I knew a larger SUV was what I wanted. I always came backto the pilot. I have a 2006 EX that I bought in 2012 with 48,000 miles. I absolutely Love this vehicle. I have 2 kids, and my 2 kids have friends! spacious, safe, reliable and doesnt drive like an eight-seater. The gas mileage is not as bad as you might think. The 4WD is a MUST in New England. Great feature. I would highly recommend this SUV for a family."