2005 Honda Pilot

9.3

Based on 896 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Doesn't drive like it has high miles

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE. Easy to service avoiding costs."

Cons: "Handles bulky, both on corners and while braking"

"Bought this car with 205K miles on it, with no worries whatsoever. Every mechanic I spoke to had no qualms about purchasing a high mileage Honda pending a pre-purchase inspection, and thus far this vehicle has not disappointed. The previous owner made a point to do regular maintenance on the required intervals, and this vehicle acts as though it's just been broken in. Everything is original with no major maintenance, and even items like the seats and other high-touch items have handles wear well. Just completed the timing belt and spark pulgs at it's required 210k mile mark, and expect this vehicle to take me and my family onward for another 100K+. Couldn't be happier with this vehicle."

Handles great!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Handles great, reliable, goes anywhere, decent mpg"

Cons: "steering column, back doesn't lay flat"

"After looking at SUVs for over a year we bought the 2004 Pilot EX in Dec 2009 when it was 20 below. Had 97000 miles on it with all maint. records. Drove it sraight up a hill in a foot of snow on the first day & didn't even have to use the low 4x4. Took it on a trip to CA a month later and down the back roads in Death Valley. Handled awesome! Tight turn radius, good traction on rocky, bumpy gravel roads. Got 25mpg on level hwy, 21 in town. Got 25-29mpg hwy. on trip into Yellowstone & down into WY. Put better traction tires on last year & it dropped the gas mileage down to 18-22mpg 8( but can take it anywhere now. It takes whatever MT roads dish out. Had to replace the air conditioning unit at 115000 miles but just regular maint. otherwise. Love the big windows and great visibility. Only neg. is the steering column doesn't adjust high enough to see full speedomoter for taller people and the back doesn't lay completely flat. Love this vehicle and don't want to drive anything else. I trust it to take me where I want to go with out problems & have fun doing it. Already have 149000 miles on it and will drive it til we can't keep it running anymore. Maybe by then I will grow to like the new Pilot styling cuz I'm sticking with the Pilot."

2008 Honda Pilot EXL

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Having 6 SUV's since 1985, I can honestly say this is the best one to date. The pilot is very confortable, and I do not feel tired after a long drive. Mileage on the road is a little better then my past SUV's. I am glad I bought this one, even though I know that the Honda Pilot is having a design changie in 2009."

The best purchase I've ever made in my life!!!

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "Pick up, reliability, comfortable to ride & drive"

Cons: "No adults on 3rd row"

"I currently have 199,800 miles (and counting) on my 4WD 2005 Pilot. I purchased it in '08 with 29k miles on it. When I drove it home my neighbor said I'd NEVER have a problem with it. He was telling the truth!!!! The only way this SUV is leaving my possession is when I purchase its smaller counterpart (the CR-V) at which point I'll gift my Pilot to one of my (now grown) children. It's safe, durable, uber reliable and strong enough to uproot a tree (I did in the 1st month that I owned it). I have the EX-L and I love the front seat warmers, sunroof and leather seats. Matter of-fact, those will have to be a must in my CR-V. This car is so durable, I even love how the paint has held up. I really do believe this engine will last another 200K miles. I look forward to many more oil changes and life memories with grandchildren learning to drive this vehicle. Thanks Honda! Due to this purchase you've got a family of customers for life!"

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great maneuverability, cargo room and reliability"

"My pilot just keeps going! I love knowing I can reasonably expect to put 350,000 miles on this vehicle. It seats 8 including car seats plus other small luggage. I have no issues in snow or icy weather or getting around our farm. The pilot gets decent gas milage considering its a bigger SUV and 4WD. At 215k miles I had to fix something other than basic maintenance, and it was just a couple of sensors. Well worth the expense, in my opinion. Here's what I would change: the rear window needs to open independently from door to quickly drop small items in cargo area; when front seat is all the way back, there isn't much leg room for a toddler in a car seat in the 2nd row ( my kids are always kicking the seat cuz my hubby is 6'3"); I wish it was a bit quieter- road noise wise (I use top of the line tires cuz I put a lot of miles and it's still noisy). All that being said - when this pilot finally dies - I will buy another one!"

Great Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and dependable, great in weather."

Cons: "Pricey. MPG could be better"

"Gas mileage could be better. However drives great, dependable, handles in snow and ice better than any other vehicle I've had with one exception. (The exception was NOT dependable) Has required little maintenance and body is still solid without rattles or air leaks. Love this car."

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY PILOT

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Holds value"

Cons: "Cup holder not convenient for driver"

"Bought used (certified). I've had for 3 yrs. Love the ride, the get up and go, roominess, comfort, utility, and look of it. Gets better gas mileage than they say. Vehicle of choice when we travel. This is my 29th yr of owning Honda's. I've never had a Honda leave me stranded on the side of the road."

Nice for traveling, well built

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "Good road car, versatile for all-arond needs"

Cons: "Mileage, driver knee space"

"The only real downside to this vehicle is the mileage. The best we can ever expect, which will come on a full day of steady freeway travel, is 20-22 mpg. This is a great road car. A few times a year we have travel days of 400-500 miles, and it performs well. Plenty of power on hills or for passing, smooth riding, reasonably quiet. We have only needed to use the 3rd row seat a few times, but it has been great to have it when we need it. The 3rd seat is wider than the 2008 Toyota Highlander, which is one of the reasons we chose the Honda. We have not yet had any repair bills, just regular maintenance. We replaced the original tires at about 40,000 miles. It still has the original break pads, which is impressive at over 70,000 miles. Two minor issues: It is easy to drop things between the seats and the center console and almost impossible to retrieve them. We keep a stick handy to work into the gap to push items out. We may try folding a towel and placing it in this space. The other issue seems to be common in other Hondas we have owned. The knee space for the driver is minimal. To have the most comfortable knee space, the seat needs to be moved back to where the arm reach is too long."

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable, great car, looks good"

Cons: "There are none"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and its 2012 and it's still going strong! I drive to work and school everyday and it's always been reliable. Other than regular maintenance (brakes, oil, tires) I've never had to replace or fix anything. I'm not a perfect driver and I do occasionally run over curbs or take it off road and this car can handle it without any problems. I love this car and I don't think I'll ever get rid off it!"

My first dealer-bought car

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Storage, power, amenities, comfort, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very small space between front seats and console"

"I was set on buying a Kia once I finished school and got a "real" job. I test drove a Sorento and several other makes of used mid-size SUV's. I was not excited about the Pilot at first based on a photo which showed the gear shifter blocking the radio and climate controls. But once I drove it (and the gear shifter miraculously moved out of the way), I was getting warmed up to the idea. Compared to the other 7 or so cars I drove over two days, I started to love the this car. I settled on the Pilot after NEARLY signing on the Sportage. The mileage was a bit higher than I had hoped at over 103K at 6 years old at the time, but it IS a Honda, after all. The Pilot has guts, great brakes, a quiet and smooth car-like ride, leather everything, power everything, 3 12 volt outlets, shoulder seatbelts for all 8 passengers, dual zone climate controls, storage galore, hooks, adjustable middle row seat, split rear seating, both rows fold down (although the middle row does not go flat as I had hoped), cup holders for pretty much every passenger, side air bags for the front, sliding and tilting sunroof, 7 in-dash CD slots, tape player (which is great for an AUX-to-tape converter so I can stream music from my phone), steering wheel controls for cruise control and audio, great visibility at all angles (only one very small blind spot, which is solved by a small convex mirror on the driver's side), heated seats, roof racks, heated electric side mirrors, tire pressure monitors, interior safety lighting, and did I mention STORAGE!?! Under the hood is roomy and easy to work in, unlike some other foreign makes. The spare tire is hidden under the rear of the body, so there are no ugly plastic tire covers blocking the rear view. Speaking of the rear view, since it was manufactured before rear cameras became fairly standard, I installed an after-marked camera which activates when the reverse light is on and transmits a wireless signal to a clip-on rear-view mirror with a small window that shows what's behind me. I call it "The Cap'n" and I love him! I've had it for 3 years exactly today and I hope to have him for at least 10 more!"