• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 Honda Pilot

Based on 850 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Only 6 cylinder able to pull my Airstream trailer.

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Fuel-efficient hauler, even on bad dirt roads"

"When we recently bought a 1970 Airstream Safari travel trailer, we also needed a tow vehicle for it. Of 6 cylinder cars, only the Honda Pilot and the Ford Flex were up to pulling the 4,500 loaded weight of the Airstream. We weren't able to find a used Flex set up to tow, so bought the Pilot. It was an amazingly good choice. Though the car has 145K miles on it now, and we are its fourth owner, somehow it looks and drives like new, both inside and out. Absolutely everything still works well. All we had to do was catch up on neglected maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt. We've now pulled our trailer with it across most of the U.S. and part of Mexico, and are still extremely impressed by how well it handles, both with and without the trailer. We're also impressed by its surprisingly good gas mileage: 17-23 MPG without the trailer, and 15 MPG with the trailer."

clean low miles

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"clean well maintained low millage garage keep 3seats"

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

"I love everything about this car except the road noise and reverberation when the rear windows are down. When you drive above 40mph with the back windows down it's very loud and almost painful on the eardrums."

Dependable, Comfortable, and Perfect!

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive and Perfect with Kids"

Cons: "A/C had a few problems."

"I have had this car for almost 10 years and it has met my needs perfectly. It has been dependable and durable. I love it!"

2007 Honda Pilot EX-L - worth it

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Great driving vehicle for road trips or town"

"I bought my first Honda as a 5yo used vehicle. The seats are leather, there is a 6-CD changer, sunroof, heated side view mirrors, third row back seat is a bit smaller than the second row but manageable. Front bucket seats heat up, which is a huge bonus in our Montana winters. Great storage capacity in back. It hasn't given me a lick of trouble at 54,000 miles. Re-sale value holding strong. I'd highly recommend this vehicle."

Reliable, Great SUV-(for first true Honda Pilot)

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Never had transmission issue(s)"

Cons: "A/C vents & interior gadgets did wear."

"We purchased this 2003 Honda Pilot in winter of 2004 (Dec). It had 40K miles on it. It seemed like a lot of money back then. However it was been worth almost every penny. Good Engine, never had major problems with it or transmission. Still half-way stylish for age. Very reliable. Had towing hitch added, and have pulled trailer with furniture, rock, etc. (up to 5000 lb) with little trouble. Does increase gas use- however v-6 has been strong and "reliable" as earlier mentioned. Still driving/using it everyday. Now with 185,000 mi. Will probably keep it as long as it will get us where we need to go"

LOVE IT

By on Sunday, December 15, 2013

"THIS IS CAR IS AMAZING, REALLY GOOD WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AS LONG AS YOU MAINTAIN IT. REALLY GOOD IN GAS IT GOOD, LOVE IT"

Best vehicle i have ever owned in 50 years

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

"great vehicle"

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, nice stereo, air/heating work well"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better--dont need 4 w/d"

"Except for the gas mileage, this is the best car I have ever owned. It is reliable, smooth riding, handles well and parks easily. All the bells and whistles work, the auto climate controls are great and it attracts a lot of attention."

So far I'm loving my first Honda!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Visibility, handling, cargo room, DVD, smooth ride"

Cons: "exterior styling isnt great."

"I've owned the pilot since august and so far I've had only an issue with a bad strut that was installed prior to me purchasing it. had it replaced free of charge. For the size of the vehicle, it handles extremeley well. very little to no "mushy" feeling in the steering. accelerates very quickly when needed and the seats are by far the most comfortable I've ever sat it. long drives are no problem. My kids really like the rear entertainment system however the wireless headphones that came with it barely work. I'm not really disappointed in that, it is an 11 year old vehicle. It drives so smoothly that it surprises me frequently when I see rough terrain up ahead. I tell people it feels like "driving a tank made out of clouds". All in all my only complaint is in gas mileage. I average about 21 from my calculations but it seems frequently that I can literally watch the fuel gauge dropping lol. but for as big as it is, whatever. I'm happy. If you find one with lower miles at a good price, go drive it. You'll love it."

Superb SUV!

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "reliable, great visibility, a joy to drive"

Cons: "none!"

"This is our 4th Honda dating back to 1992. Of course, I think Honda is wonderful! We have had a Civic, an Accord, a CR-V,and this Pilot. All are fabulous vehicles and would recommend highly. I have only had to purchase brakes and tires for all four cars...nothing else. I have kept this Pilot longer than any of the others, and I hope it lasts 20 years!!!! It is wonderful to drive in so many ways; has great visibility; and fabulous reliability. It is the perfect size...not too small, yet not so large."

Best all around car owned out of 8 cars

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Solidly built, still looks stylish"

Cons: "no mp3"

"Driving over 30 years, owned 8 new cars. By far the best"

love this small suv seats 8 and good on gas

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "great gas milage for a small suv that seats 8"

Cons: "would like a back up camera in it"

"great size drives very nice use it only for trips since 2010 our trips were cut short because of a dr. doing a bad operation, but still love it now it carrys my wifes pwr wheel chair arounr with no problems and still gets good gas milage.love my honda"

The jack of all trades that you never expected…

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "A quality versatile vehicle at a great value."

Cons: "Creaks/squeaks in dash. Everyone wants you 2 drive"

"The Pilot is an absolute champion masked as a soccer-mom mobile which is its only real downside. Not only is it a road-trip machine that is incredibly comfortable as well as versatile but it does so with 23mpg when kept between 70-75mph on the highway. The bottom line is this thing has done the following and kept on going: Been airborne at 100mph, buried up past the doors in mud, thrown into a four-wheel power slide, towed moderate size boats on the regular (in 120 degree heat with 6 occupants), scampered around off-road (gravel, dirt, sand, snow, & mud) while hauling passengers & gear, gone on countless road trips with 1-8 occupants, hauled a few of people with 4 surfboards INSIDE (up to 9'4" long), and acted as a commuter vehicle on the weekdays. The 4WD drivetrain is one of my favorite features the Pilot has to offer. While primarily a FWD vehicle, the 4WD system assists as needed however the traction control system is slightly invasive/overactive at times. I actually drive it with the traction control off most of the time. The locker has proven to be extremely useful when in an off-road bind but is rarely needed as the 4WD system handles most situations. As an around town vehicle the Pilot makes great use of its size with countless cup holders, storage compartments, hooks for bags or the cargo net, and a smooth ride amongst other advantages it offers. She's been an extremely reliable vehicle that still gets great reviews from passengers as well as "This is really a 2005??" which is always nice to hear. Stay up on the regular maintenance and you've got yourself a keeper."

100 PERCENT RELIABLE

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and safe"

Cons: "interior light switch mounting location"

"best vehicle I have ever owned I would definitely buy another Honda"

Great car. Only need one vehicle now.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "What's not to like! Safe, reliable, all options."

Cons: "Wish it had daytime running lights."

"All country and highway miles. 100% dealer serviced at all required intervals. Only one parking lot ding (@1/2")and one paint chip (@1/4"). Mechanically perfect. Tires have 13k on them. Very good in winter conditions. Had dealer add mud flaps as well. Navigation DVD upgraded @14 months ago. Has XM/Sirius. Too big to tow behind our motor home, otherwise we would keep it forever."

Great suv

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "drives great,"

"I bought my Honda used, I have had it for 3 1/2 years, 103000 miles. Drives and handles excellent, Made several road trips, plenty of room. used many times to haul things, just lay all seats down which makes it very convenient. Took to the mountains this year, handled all the curves and up hills very well. gas mileage is also good considering it is an suv. has plenty of cup holders"

Doesn't drive like it has high miles

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE. Easy to service avoiding costs."

Cons: "Handles bulky, both on corners and while braking"

"Bought this car with 205K miles on it, with no worries whatsoever. Every mechanic I spoke to had no qualms about purchasing a high mileage Honda pending a pre-purchase inspection, and thus far this vehicle has not disappointed. The previous owner made a point to do regular maintenance on the required intervals, and this vehicle acts as though it's just been broken in. Everything is original with no major maintenance, and even items like the seats and other high-touch items have handles wear well. Just completed the timing belt and spark pulgs at it's required 210k mile mark, and expect this vehicle to take me and my family onward for another 100K+. Couldn't be happier with this vehicle."

Greatest vehicle

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

"This is the best vehicle we've ever owned. It is super flexible. We have made I don't know how many long trips with the kids and the dog with no problems and plenty of room. I wish my truck was a Ridgeline. Its a Chevrolet."

Great Vehicle!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

"8 years old and just turned 300K miles."

8 years of trouble free driving

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "dependable and last long time"

Cons: "loud road noise, bad mpg"

"I got this car when it had 9K miles on it. The fuel pump went out when I first got it. It was still under warranty. The dealership fixed it by cutting a hole in the floorboard then lied about it and claimed to have dropped the gas tank. I found this out later. I have had this car from spring of 2004 until the fall of 2013. This has been a trouble free car other than tires and batteries every few years. I now have 151K miles on it and things are starting to deteriorate. Two of the windows stopped working. The power locks do not work with the remote any more and it rides very rough and has a front suspension problem. My ignition is going out and as long as I leave the key in it, then it starts right up. Take the key out and its nearly impossible to restart. Overall it was a good car and these problems only happened in the last year. If you get one, keep it about 8 years, then get rid of it before it starts falling apart."

I love love this vehicle.

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"It has a great ride, visibility is good and highway milage has been close to 25 mpg. It has been extremely dependable, probably the best vehicle I have ever owned."

The best vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive not bad on gas. V6 power"

Cons: "A little slow pulling something."

"I brought this 2006 Honda back in the middle of may of 2009 with 45000 miles and now it's has 129200 miles on it and still drives very good. I had a minor problem with it one time and other very little problems but it's was never repeated again. The paint still looks good because it's stays inside the garage a lot and I always try to park it in a shade or near a shady spot. I keep the paint waxed three times a year. I always service it myself I change the oil every 4000 miles I don't follow what the oil life says because from 100 percent to 15 percent oil life is too long about almost 8000 miles so I change the oil when the oil life says 40 percent and then I reset it back to 100 percent. I just don't feel comfortable passing 4000 miles for oil change. I used the best oil I can find. I change the transmission fluids every 15 to 20,000 miles myself its very easy and only cost 30 dollars myself. It's very easy to do all the services myself the only thing I can't do is the timing belt dealer will have to do that for me. I put on a nicer 17 inch alloy wheels from Honda and its really make the vehicle looks nicer having a little bigger wheels. I always use tires that helps save fuel and every time I need a new tires I watch for something that will help save gas because some tires can make your vehicle waste more fuel. I get about 20 to 21 mpg in city where a city that is flat but here in Colorado springs is very hilly I get 18 to 20 but mostly 19 in town. On the highway where it's flat sometimes I get 31 to 32 if driving 65 mph. But mostly between 26 to 28 on the highway. My pilot is a two wheel drive that why better mpg. Very roomy and comfortable and I can sleep in the back with all seats fold down and it's comfortable staying at camp grounds in Oregon, Washington, and in Colorado I feel safer camping in my own vehicle with doors locked. It's pull a camper trailer very good under 1500 pounds but over 2000 pounds it's very slow pulling camper trailer in steep mountains area so I decided to sell camper trailer because I feel like its hard on the vehicle. I only bring a tent with me or sleep in vehicle. AC is still cold for almost eight years. I am planning to keep this vehicle until its has almost 400,000 miles or maybe more. It's been a great vehicle and still is. The older it's getting I will be expecting a few problems showing up but I don't think big problems going to happen."

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY PILOT

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Holds value"

Cons: "Cup holder not convenient for driver"

"Bought used (certified). I've had for 3 yrs. Love the ride, the get up and go, roominess, comfort, utility, and look of it. Gets better gas mileage than they say. Vehicle of choice when we travel. This is my 29th yr of owning Honda's. I've never had a Honda leave me stranded on the side of the road."

Great car!!!!!!

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive. Lots of room. No service problems"

Cons: "NO CONS"

"This is our 4TH Honda (ACCORD__CRV__ELEMENT)since 1995.We have never had a major problem with any of them (had the CRV for 12 years)I would strongly reccomend a Honda to anyone.They are never in the shop!"