• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 Honda Pilot

Based on 841 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

We've had this car for 7 years

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "Lots of room and extremely reliable."

Cons: "A bit noisier on the road"

"My wife liked her 2003 Honda Pilot better than my Lexus RX300! Which was o.k. by me, I liked my RX too! Anyhow, the Honda was better than the RX in only one area. My RX ate batteries. Not unusualy a lot, but more than the Honda. When we came back from a lengthy vacation, the Pilot started right up, the RX had to be jumped. l liked both cars. The Honda had a little more room. It was a little noisier than the RX, but then it was a bit more expensive. Both excellent choices for SUV's in my opinion"

Great until about 100,000 miles

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Bought pilot new in 2007. Maintained the car & had zero issues, until I reached 100,000 miles. First, there was a leaking a/c hose-$600+ repair. Then a leaking radiator-$700. for OEM replacement & hoses. Now a faulty tension belt or bearing around the water pump which creates a constant clicking noise- another $700 repair. Its been a rough winter, but I'm afraid to think what repair is around the corner. Anyone else experience these or other repairs after 100K?"

Hondas are no longer reliable

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Decent drive ability."

Cons: "Too much maintenance."

"Hondas cost more money. The reason a consumer is willing to pay more is for a better product. The Honda transmission is no longer a long lasting part. Expect to replace it every 100-150K miles."

Great vehicle with minor drawbacks

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, and decent gas mileage"

Cons: "hard to clean between front seats"

"Overall, this has been a great choice, and I'd recommend the Pilot to others. Extremely comfortable ride, plenty of space for people or cargo (not necessarily both at the same time!) Tows well, decent gas mileage, and great sound system. The plastic parts of the interior haven't worn as well as I'd like, with some deterioration of the steering wheel cover, console cover, and other plastic parts. Most annoying thing is the tight space between the front seats and the console--debris falls down and it is extremely difficult to clean. Power windows have recently failed, but not a huge repair cost. All other mechanical systems have performed well with only routine maintenance required."

Reliable, good in gas for SUV, confortable, roomy

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"Reliable, good in gas for SUV, confortable, roomy"

Great performance and realatively efficient

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "dependable ride"

Cons: "cargo area does not convert 2 flat surface/ pricey"

"no major failures over 135K miles. have replaced tires, belts and water pump. My only concern is that when rear seats are down, the surface is not totally flat."

It is a very dependable vehicle.

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, efficient"

Cons: "Loud road noise"

"The quality and reliability of the vehicle is excellent. The only complaint I have is that the road noise is louder than other similar vehicles. I undercoated it and changed the tires to a better quality which helped a little, but more cabin insulation from the road noise is required."

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great maneuverability, cargo room and reliability"

"My pilot just keeps going! I love knowing I can reasonably expect to put 350,000 miles on this vehicle. It seats 8 including car seats plus other small luggage. I have no issues in snow or icy weather or getting around our farm. The pilot gets decent gas milage considering its a bigger SUV and 4WD. At 215k miles I had to fix something other than basic maintenance, and it was just a couple of sensors. Well worth the expense, in my opinion. Here's what I would change: the rear window needs to open independently from door to quickly drop small items in cargo area; when front seat is all the way back, there isn't much leg room for a toddler in a car seat in the 2nd row ( my kids are always kicking the seat cuz my hubby is 6'3"); I wish it was a bit quieter- road noise wise (I use top of the line tires cuz I put a lot of miles and it's still noisy). All that being said - when this pilot finally dies - I will buy another one!"

Little Workhorse

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Great for towing."

Cons: "Lower gas mileage."

"This car has many enjoyable characteristics like: power sun roof and driver's seat, on-steering wheel stereo controls, heating elements for both front seats, lots of back seating with climate controls and wireless DVD/ CD equipment for long trip enjoyment. It is fun to drive. Realistically, it is fairly expensive on gas and if you drive through splashing water, the power steering is affected almost immediately. Watch out for deep puddles. Otherwise, it fits eight people comfortably, has a roof rack for luggage and can drive right out on those off-road paths! It can easily haul a small trailer."

AWESOME CAR! LOVE IT!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Fair price, lots of cargo space, fits 8, great AWD"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"It's big, fits 8, tons of cargo space, very quiet and fun! It's absolutely an awesome machine. It's also extremely reliable, as the ONLY thing that I had to change since I got it new was a wheel bearing (of course other than the usual oil changes, and brake replacement). And even in Canada's extreme weather, it NEVER got stuck with the awesome lockable awd systtem, and it keeps you warm and feeling safe with the airbags and heated seats and mirrors. And no matter how heavy the vehicle is, the 3.5 litre VTEC never fails! pulls very hard especially when the VTEC kicks in, it feels as if you got hit from the back! I also tow my boat with it, and absolutely feel like nothing is on the back! One very small complaint is gas mileage that could be a bit improved. Other than that, I absolutely love it and 200% recommend it."

Honda great stuff

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"We were convinced that we were going to buy a mini-sport type van. Honda pilot changed all of our minds, it has it all. Comfort people room, and cargo room. Its the perfect cross between a large SUV and a van. It also gets 21 mph for an all wheel drive vehicle."

Best vehicle I have every had!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Handles like a car, very small turning radius"

Cons: "stuff slips down between the seats and console"

"I love this 2004 Pilot, I think they ruined the newer models. If Honda would remake these I would buy a new one."

very safe vehicle!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "reliable, durable, handles great in heavy snow"

Cons: "loud road noise,"

"I was the driver in an accident in this car, and was very pleased with how it held up. It was a three car accident. The other two cars who hit me were totaled, and the damages were a scary sight. I walked away with minor injuries and a car that was damaged less than it should have been. It did end up having body work done, but the internal damages were minimal. The Pilot is definitely reliable in the snow, and I hardly ever have to use 4WD. Very little maintenance. The only major repairs have been the air conditioning."

Great Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and dependable, great in weather."

Cons: "Pricey. MPG could be better"

"Gas mileage could be better. However drives great, dependable, handles in snow and ice better than any other vehicle I've had with one exception. (The exception was NOT dependable) Has required little maintenance and body is still solid without rattles or air leaks. Love this car."

Great low maintenance hauler

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low Maintenance, great pick up and room"

Cons: "Can be a little noisey at 70mph+ speeds"

"We've had the 2007 Pilot for over 7 years and have driven it on long drives to Florida and DC from Michigan multiple times without issue. The Pilot handles the nasty snow storms with plenty of grip and clearance. The Pilot is surprisingly large inside - the SUV swallows a 7ft Christmas tree with the seats down without issue. The best thing I like about the Pilot is the low maintenance. The pilot has only needed regular oil changes and the recommended manufacturing maintenance. In comparison I have a 2000 Audi S4 and I've spent about $10k in maintenance over 13 years."

Bought New 12 Years Ago

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, safe, and easy to drive."

Cons: "Air conditioner prone to expensive repairs."

"After a dozen years, our Honda Pilot still takes us 30 miles each way to work daily. Our extended family has a number of cars to choose from in the car port but each looks to grab the Pilot keys when going out to run an errand. We all prefer the slightly elevated driving position and the comfortable ride. Compared to our tinny 2006 CRV, the Pilot is solid, stable and pleasurable to drive. Maintenance for 185K in the last dozen years has been limited to the air conditioning system which has failed three times during the life of the car and generated a $1500 tab each time."

Only 6 cylinder able to pull my Airstream trailer.

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Fuel-efficient hauler, even on bad dirt roads"

"When we recently bought a 1970 Airstream Safari travel trailer, we also needed a tow vehicle for it. Of 6 cylinder cars, only the Honda Pilot and the Ford Flex were up to pulling the 4,500 loaded weight of the Airstream. We weren't able to find a used Flex set up to tow, so bought the Pilot. It was an amazingly good choice. Though the car has 145K miles on it now, and we are its fourth owner, somehow it looks and drives like new, both inside and out. Absolutely everything still works well. All we had to do was catch up on neglected maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt. We've now pulled our trailer with it across most of the U.S. and part of Mexico, and are still extremely impressed by how well it handles, both with and without the trailer. We're also impressed by its surprisingly good gas mileage: 17-23 MPG without the trailer, and 15 MPG with the trailer."

clean low miles

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"clean well maintained low millage garage keep 3seats"

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

"I love everything about this car except the road noise and reverberation when the rear windows are down. When you drive above 40mph with the back windows down it's very loud and almost painful on the eardrums."

Dependable, Comfortable, and Perfect!

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive and Perfect with Kids"

Cons: "A/C had a few problems."

"I have had this car for almost 10 years and it has met my needs perfectly. It has been dependable and durable. I love it!"

2007 Honda Pilot EX-L - worth it

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Great driving vehicle for road trips or town"

"I bought my first Honda as a 5yo used vehicle. The seats are leather, there is a 6-CD changer, sunroof, heated side view mirrors, third row back seat is a bit smaller than the second row but manageable. Front bucket seats heat up, which is a huge bonus in our Montana winters. Great storage capacity in back. It hasn't given me a lick of trouble at 54,000 miles. Re-sale value holding strong. I'd highly recommend this vehicle."

Reliable, Great SUV-(for first true Honda Pilot)

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Never had transmission issue(s)"

Cons: "A/C vents & interior gadgets did wear."

"We purchased this 2003 Honda Pilot in winter of 2004 (Dec). It had 40K miles on it. It seemed like a lot of money back then. However it was been worth almost every penny. Good Engine, never had major problems with it or transmission. Still half-way stylish for age. Very reliable. Had towing hitch added, and have pulled trailer with furniture, rock, etc. (up to 5000 lb) with little trouble. Does increase gas use- however v-6 has been strong and "reliable" as earlier mentioned. Still driving/using it everyday. Now with 185,000 mi. Will probably keep it as long as it will get us where we need to go"

LOVE IT

By on Sunday, December 15, 2013

"THIS IS CAR IS AMAZING, REALLY GOOD WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AS LONG AS YOU MAINTAIN IT. REALLY GOOD IN GAS IT GOOD, LOVE IT"

Best vehicle i have ever owned in 50 years

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

"great vehicle"

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, nice stereo, air/heating work well"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better--dont need 4 w/d"

"Except for the gas mileage, this is the best car I have ever owned. It is reliable, smooth riding, handles well and parks easily. All the bells and whistles work, the auto climate controls are great and it attracts a lot of attention."