2003 Honda Pilot

Based on 880 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Built to Leak? Serious water leaks doorsills/floor

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"Loyal, 20-year, three Honda owner. My newly purchased 2008 Honda Pilot Ex-L 4WD leaks water inside four doorsills with every heavy rain and every car wash. Serious manufacturing defect allows water leakage along door seals into/under inside doorsills up onto carpet edges. Water stands up to 30 hours until all four doors are opened and the rubberized foot guards are pounded and mopped. Rubber-backed carpet hides leaks and mildew. American Honda states that water seepage is "normal" because Pilot's door is "not a sealed door." Trusted dealer states "2008 Pilot was re-designed to siphon rainwater into inner doorsills" to correct more serious leakage problems with 2006-2007 models (see Honda Technical Service Bulletin 07-010). No repair possible. Unclear how widespread this manufacturing defect actually is. My advice: Water test before you buy."

Great buy for city folk

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"First let me say I am extremely satisfied with this vehicle. I've owned it for four years and had no issues whatsoever. The most-used seats (front and middle rows) are comfortable, plenty of leg room, copious cup holders in convenient locations, surprisingly fits two child seats in the LATCH system hooks with just enough room for a skinny person to sit between them in the center row. The rear row leaves some "room" for improvement. It claims to fit three people, and is equipped with seatbelts accordingly, but unless those three are preteen children and/or short and slender, your knees will be pressed into the back of the center row and you will be fighting for elbow room. Also the driver may not be able to see the rear view over the heads and shoulders of rear-row passengers. Although it claims 4WD status, the Pilot isn't designed for true fully loaded off-road use. You'll have no problems with rough, uneven dirt roads and some light off-road use (i.e. undeveloped camp sites, mud/slush), but the bumper clearance fore and aft of the axles doesn't allow for steep angles of attack when traversing hills. Also, most after-market tow packages won't work without some modification, as the tailpipe is poorly placed where the crossbar should go. The flimsy plastic shade/spoiler over the rear window does not allow for a strap-on bike rack to be attached, but if you can get a roof mount or trailer-mounted one and hitch that works you'll be fine. The roof rack does not include crossbars, those are an add-on option, and the roof's weight bearing capacity is less than what you'd expect from an SUV, but this is probably due to balance issues rather than actual strength of the roof. The Pilot rides like a passenger car, and can feel deceptively stable in high speed turns and on lateral slope. Although I haven't rolled mine (yet!), the threshold between balanced and whoops-too-far, while by all means safe, seems thin and sneaks up on you if you're driving faster than you should be. The push-button 4WD works great for getting out of less than 10 inches of mud, or that extra traction to get up a moderately steep gravel road, but is not designed for full-time 4-wheeling. I average just over 19mpg on 87 octane, mostly city driving, but then I'm consciously a bit lighter on the accelerator ever since the crazy gas prices last summer. On road trips it gets up near 25 mpg at 70-75 mph. Interior setup is near-perfect, everything is within easy reach of the driver and with a couple weeks behind the wheel you should be able to find and reach all the controls for everything without looking or having to leave your normal driving posture. Stereo sounds better than I expected on a stock system, I thought about upgrading, but then who needs to blast 12-inch subs in a family vehicle? Instrument panel is well lit, sensibly colored, and easy to read. Thumb controls for stereo mode, volume, and chapter skip are conveniently located on the steering wheel inside the circle, opposite the cruise controls. Visibility of nearby obstructions (posts, tree trunks, large rocks, etc) is good in all directions except straight back, which is par for any SUV. Backup camera is an option on newer models, I hear. Overall this is a great vehicle for anyone who isn't expecting a rough-and-tough off-road vehicle. Its perfect for someone who needs extra space to haul kids and their associated accessories (bags, sports equipment, friends), road-tripping, and wants a vehicle they can use to haul the family up to Big Bear for camping or skiing. Highly recommended."

Love the Pilot

By on Friday, June 08, 2007

"My husband and I purchased our Pilot after the birth of our second child because we needed more room. I had been driving a CRV, which I loved, before we bought the Pilot (and I hated to see the CRV go because it had been a great car). That was a year ago, and today we all love the Pilot. PROS: It is VERY roomy, very comfortable, and it looks great. Additionally, the price could not be beat when compared to comparable vehicles (we paid $23k for ours, new). We are pleased with the gas mileage that the Pilot gets, and it has plenty of power. There are power outlets all over the vehicle, which I also like. Also lots of storage space and cup holders. We got the cloth interior, and it (amazingly) cleans up pretty easily. The extra headrest storage in the back can double as wet storage (which you need if you have kids with wet swimsuits, muddy shoes, or a bucket of tadpoles that they insist MUST come home with them). CONS: The paint does seem to chip easily. I also noticed that the windshield cracks easily (I experienced that with my CRV, too). Even small rocks can leave a "bullseye" on my windshield. The spare tire is not full-sized, which seems silly for a car of this size - ya' need a full-size spare. Also, there is no fold-down armrest in the back seat (even the CRV had that). Overall, we are very pleased with the Pilot and love to drive it. Even my husband, a sports car guy, loves to drive and ride in the Pilot."

Most reliable, economical car ever.

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Most economical, reliable car ever!"

Cons: "No walk through to 3rd row and/or captains chairs"

"Compared to my old cars, and the cars of family members, this car is gold. Mind you, i am comparing to a new x5, passat, and most recently, my husband's 2012 bmw X3. My 8 year old pilot gives a much smoother, quieter ride than his! It is unbelievable. I bought it new 8 years ago and changed the oil every 3000 miles. Even that was inexpensive. I finally had to fix something at my last, 74,000 check up. I would only suggest getting an upgrade on tires if you live in an icy or snowy climate. I finally got new Michelin tires when we moved to a house with a steeper driveway, and new tires made a huge difference."

The best vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive not bad on gas. V6 power"

Cons: "A little slow pulling something."

"I brought this 2006 Honda back in the middle of may of 2009 with 45000 miles and now it's has 129200 miles on it and still drives very good. I had a minor problem with it one time and other very little problems but it's was never repeated again. The paint still looks good because it's stays inside the garage a lot and I always try to park it in a shade or near a shady spot. I keep the paint waxed three times a year. I always service it myself I change the oil every 4000 miles I don't follow what the oil life says because from 100 percent to 15 percent oil life is too long about almost 8000 miles so I change the oil when the oil life says 40 percent and then I reset it back to 100 percent. I just don't feel comfortable passing 4000 miles for oil change. I used the best oil I can find. I change the transmission fluids every 15 to 20,000 miles myself its very easy and only cost 30 dollars myself. It's very easy to do all the services myself the only thing I can't do is the timing belt dealer will have to do that for me. I put on a nicer 17 inch alloy wheels from Honda and its really make the vehicle looks nicer having a little bigger wheels. I always use tires that helps save fuel and every time I need a new tires I watch for something that will help save gas because some tires can make your vehicle waste more fuel. I get about 20 to 21 mpg in city where a city that is flat but here in Colorado springs is very hilly I get 18 to 20 but mostly 19 in town. On the highway where it's flat sometimes I get 31 to 32 if driving 65 mph. But mostly between 26 to 28 on the highway. My pilot is a two wheel drive that why better mpg. Very roomy and comfortable and I can sleep in the back with all seats fold down and it's comfortable staying at camp grounds in Oregon, Washington, and in Colorado I feel safer camping in my own vehicle with doors locked. It's pull a camper trailer very good under 1500 pounds but over 2000 pounds it's very slow pulling camper trailer in steep mountains area so I decided to sell camper trailer because I feel like its hard on the vehicle. I only bring a tent with me or sleep in vehicle. AC is still cold for almost eight years. I am planning to keep this vehicle until its has almost 400,000 miles or maybe more. It's been a great vehicle and still is. The older it's getting I will be expecting a few problems showing up but I don't think big problems going to happen."

Owned since new, great vehicle.

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Extremely reliable, sure footed, solid."

Cons: "Gas mileage, at 22 hgwy, isn't too good."

"I have owned my 2004 Pilot since new, and have done no repairs except a temp sensor replace at 55K, though all scheduled service was done, as well as oil every 3-4K. Very stable on dry roads, very nimble on wet and icy roads, and sure footed in snow. Used mainly to travel between New York and Maine, it has been an amazing vehicle."

The jack of all trades that you never expected…

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "A quality versatile vehicle at a great value."

Cons: "Creaks/squeaks in dash. Everyone wants you 2 drive"

"The Pilot is an absolute champion masked as a soccer-mom mobile which is its only real downside. Not only is it a road-trip machine that is incredibly comfortable as well as versatile but it does so with 23mpg when kept between 70-75mph on the highway. The bottom line is this thing has done the following and kept on going: Been airborne at 100mph, buried up past the doors in mud, thrown into a four-wheel power slide, towed moderate size boats on the regular (in 120 degree heat with 6 occupants), scampered around off-road (gravel, dirt, sand, snow, & mud) while hauling passengers & gear, gone on countless road trips with 1-8 occupants, hauled a few of people with 4 surfboards INSIDE (up to 9'4" long), and acted as a commuter vehicle on the weekdays. The 4WD drivetrain is one of my favorite features the Pilot has to offer. While primarily a FWD vehicle, the 4WD system assists as needed however the traction control system is slightly invasive/overactive at times. I actually drive it with the traction control off most of the time. The locker has proven to be extremely useful when in an off-road bind but is rarely needed as the 4WD system handles most situations. As an around town vehicle the Pilot makes great use of its size with countless cup holders, storage compartments, hooks for bags or the cargo net, and a smooth ride amongst other advantages it offers. She's been an extremely reliable vehicle that still gets great reviews from passengers as well as "This is really a 2005??" which is always nice to hear. Stay up on the regular maintenance and you've got yourself a keeper."

Doesn't drive like it has high miles

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE. Easy to service avoiding costs."

Cons: "Handles bulky, both on corners and while braking"

"Bought this car with 205K miles on it, with no worries whatsoever. Every mechanic I spoke to had no qualms about purchasing a high mileage Honda pending a pre-purchase inspection, and thus far this vehicle has not disappointed. The previous owner made a point to do regular maintenance on the required intervals, and this vehicle acts as though it's just been broken in. Everything is original with no major maintenance, and even items like the seats and other high-touch items have handles wear well. Just completed the timing belt and spark pulgs at it's required 210k mile mark, and expect this vehicle to take me and my family onward for another 100K+. Couldn't be happier with this vehicle."

Handles great!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Handles great, reliable, goes anywhere, decent mpg"

Cons: "steering column, back doesn't lay flat"

"After looking at SUVs for over a year we bought the 2004 Pilot EX in Dec 2009 when it was 20 below. Had 97000 miles on it with all maint. records. Drove it sraight up a hill in a foot of snow on the first day & didn't even have to use the low 4x4. Took it on a trip to CA a month later and down the back roads in Death Valley. Handled awesome! Tight turn radius, good traction on rocky, bumpy gravel roads. Got 25mpg on level hwy, 21 in town. Got 25-29mpg hwy. on trip into Yellowstone & down into WY. Put better traction tires on last year & it dropped the gas mileage down to 18-22mpg 8( but can take it anywhere now. It takes whatever MT roads dish out. Had to replace the air conditioning unit at 115000 miles but just regular maint. otherwise. Love the big windows and great visibility. Only neg. is the steering column doesn't adjust high enough to see full speedomoter for taller people and the back doesn't lay completely flat. Love this vehicle and don't want to drive anything else. I trust it to take me where I want to go with out problems & have fun doing it. Already have 149000 miles on it and will drive it til we can't keep it running anymore. Maybe by then I will grow to like the new Pilot styling cuz I'm sticking with the Pilot."

2008 Honda Pilot EXL

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Having 6 SUV's since 1985, I can honestly say this is the best one to date. The pilot is very confortable, and I do not feel tired after a long drive. Mileage on the road is a little better then my past SUV's. I am glad I bought this one, even though I know that the Honda Pilot is having a design changie in 2009."

Finally found the right Honda

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I have owned just about every Honda (02 Civic, 2 Accords (93, 05), CRV(04), Odyssey(04) and now, an 06 Pilot) I have an EX with Leather and RES. We've already driven it cross country and it was the perfect car for us. Even with 2 carseats in the middle row, you can fit an adult back there with comfort. The 3rd row of seats are a tight fit, but they were designed for children. There have been times when I've needed to fit 6 people in my car, 2 kids in car seats and 4 adults. The booster seat fits perfectly in the 3rd row with the other 2 seats folded down. Never lost any cargo room because of the split seats. From the outside, you would never imagine the amount of cargo space there is. Some people have even been skeptical that I could fit 8 people in my car...plus bags and boxes! I did it and it was perfect. Reading other reviews, some reviewers complained about the gas mileage, but think about it...it's a V6 SUV...it's not supposed to get excellent gas mileage, but for its class, it could be worse. This vehicle handles great and is very comfortable. After researching and test driving all vehicles in the class, it has the best value for all the options you get. Definitely not cheaply made, like its counterparts. With any Honda, there will never be any doubt about reliability or depreciation. It will definitely outperform the competitors."

Great Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and dependable, great in weather."

Cons: "Pricey. MPG could be better"

"Gas mileage could be better. However drives great, dependable, handles in snow and ice better than any other vehicle I've had with one exception. (The exception was NOT dependable) Has required little maintenance and body is still solid without rattles or air leaks. Love this car."

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY PILOT

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Holds value"

Cons: "Cup holder not convenient for driver"

"Bought used (certified). I've had for 3 yrs. Love the ride, the get up and go, roominess, comfort, utility, and look of it. Gets better gas mileage than they say. Vehicle of choice when we travel. This is my 29th yr of owning Honda's. I've never had a Honda leave me stranded on the side of the road."

Nice for traveling, well built

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "Good road car, versatile for all-arond needs"

Cons: "Mileage, driver knee space"

"The only real downside to this vehicle is the mileage. The best we can ever expect, which will come on a full day of steady freeway travel, is 20-22 mpg. This is a great road car. A few times a year we have travel days of 400-500 miles, and it performs well. Plenty of power on hills or for passing, smooth riding, reasonably quiet. We have only needed to use the 3rd row seat a few times, but it has been great to have it when we need it. The 3rd seat is wider than the 2008 Toyota Highlander, which is one of the reasons we chose the Honda. We have not yet had any repair bills, just regular maintenance. We replaced the original tires at about 40,000 miles. It still has the original break pads, which is impressive at over 70,000 miles. Two minor issues: It is easy to drop things between the seats and the center console and almost impossible to retrieve them. We keep a stick handy to work into the gap to push items out. We may try folding a towel and placing it in this space. The other issue seems to be common in other Hondas we have owned. The knee space for the driver is minimal. To have the most comfortable knee space, the seat needs to be moved back to where the arm reach is too long."

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable, great car, looks good"

Cons: "There are none"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and its 2012 and it's still going strong! I drive to work and school everyday and it's always been reliable. Other than regular maintenance (brakes, oil, tires) I've never had to replace or fix anything. I'm not a perfect driver and I do occasionally run over curbs or take it off road and this car can handle it without any problems. I love this car and I don't think I'll ever get rid off it!"

Great SUV! great value and relaiability!

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2015

"I have owned a Honda Pilot for 11 years ( same car) and it has proven to be the best car I ever had. safe, reliable, and effecient. I made each of my daughters drive this SUV their firt year of driving and it was a good idea. Kept both of them safe with fender benders in New Jersey that are sometimes unavoidable."

I will miss my sub very much.

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "best car I ever had,"

Cons: "I retire,need something smaller ;portable gps."

"side running bars new tires (less than 300 mi )new battery,roof track and cross bars,sits 5 adults 3 children,engine maintain with Castrol oil , new cab.air filter ,new breaks disc and calipers, fog light,6 cup holders,cassette and cd player,heated from sits two control,leather,ac and heat on rear,EXL 4x4 VMt Tras.Much more."

The best purchase I've ever made in my life!!!

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "Pick up, reliability, comfortable to ride & drive"

Cons: "No adults on 3rd row"

"I currently have 199,800 miles (and counting) on my 4WD 2005 Pilot. I purchased it in '08 with 29k miles on it. When I drove it home my neighbor said I'd NEVER have a problem with it. He was telling the truth!!!! The only way this SUV is leaving my possession is when I purchase its smaller counterpart (the CR-V) at which point I'll gift my Pilot to one of my (now grown) children. It's safe, durable, uber reliable and strong enough to uproot a tree (I did in the 1st month that I owned it). I have the EX-L and I love the front seat warmers, sunroof and leather seats. Matter of-fact, those will have to be a must in my CR-V. This car is so durable, I even love how the paint has held up. I really do believe this engine will last another 200K miles. I look forward to many more oil changes and life memories with grandchildren learning to drive this vehicle. Thanks Honda! Due to this purchase you've got a family of customers for life!"

My first dealer-bought car

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Storage, power, amenities, comfort, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very small space between front seats and console"

"I was set on buying a Kia once I finished school and got a "real" job. I test drove a Sorento and several other makes of used mid-size SUV's. I was not excited about the Pilot at first based on a photo which showed the gear shifter blocking the radio and climate controls. But once I drove it (and the gear shifter miraculously moved out of the way), I was getting warmed up to the idea. Compared to the other 7 or so cars I drove over two days, I started to love the this car. I settled on the Pilot after NEARLY signing on the Sportage. The mileage was a bit higher than I had hoped at over 103K at 6 years old at the time, but it IS a Honda, after all. The Pilot has guts, great brakes, a quiet and smooth car-like ride, leather everything, power everything, 3 12 volt outlets, shoulder seatbelts for all 8 passengers, dual zone climate controls, storage galore, hooks, adjustable middle row seat, split rear seating, both rows fold down (although the middle row does not go flat as I had hoped), cup holders for pretty much every passenger, side air bags for the front, sliding and tilting sunroof, 7 in-dash CD slots, tape player (which is great for an AUX-to-tape converter so I can stream music from my phone), steering wheel controls for cruise control and audio, great visibility at all angles (only one very small blind spot, which is solved by a small convex mirror on the driver's side), heated seats, roof racks, heated electric side mirrors, tire pressure monitors, interior safety lighting, and did I mention STORAGE!?! Under the hood is roomy and easy to work in, unlike some other foreign makes. The spare tire is hidden under the rear of the body, so there are no ugly plastic tire covers blocking the rear view. Speaking of the rear view, since it was manufactured before rear cameras became fairly standard, I installed an after-marked camera which activates when the reverse light is on and transmits a wireless signal to a clip-on rear-view mirror with a small window that shows what's behind me. I call it "The Cap'n" and I love him! I've had it for 3 years exactly today and I hope to have him for at least 10 more!"

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great maneuverability, cargo room and reliability"

"My pilot just keeps going! I love knowing I can reasonably expect to put 350,000 miles on this vehicle. It seats 8 including car seats plus other small luggage. I have no issues in snow or icy weather or getting around our farm. The pilot gets decent gas milage considering its a bigger SUV and 4WD. At 215k miles I had to fix something other than basic maintenance, and it was just a couple of sensors. Well worth the expense, in my opinion. Here's what I would change: the rear window needs to open independently from door to quickly drop small items in cargo area; when front seat is all the way back, there isn't much leg room for a toddler in a car seat in the 2nd row ( my kids are always kicking the seat cuz my hubby is 6'3"); I wish it was a bit quieter- road noise wise (I use top of the line tires cuz I put a lot of miles and it's still noisy). All that being said - when this pilot finally dies - I will buy another one!"

Honda -- reliable

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Leather tears"

"This car is my third Honda. I wouldn't own anything else. My only complaint is the front leather seats on both sides have tears in the seams."

One of the best vehicles I've ever had.

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Purchased new in 2006. Great driving position and driving comfort. Great for all-around carrying capacity. Very reliable - it is a Honda! Have not had any problems with vehicle."

Got my 2005 in Oct. 2004. Still own it to this day

By on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Pros: "Good for light towing, comfortable ride"

Cons: "road noise, rattle in dash, middle seats not flat"

"I wanted a Pilot as soon as they were introduced and replaced the Passport. I only have 60,000 on my 2005 but hope to add many more miles to it now that I'm semi-retired. Use it to pull my 3,000 lb camper over Worf Creek Pass, CO without any difficulty at all. Some road noise and a rattle/squeek inside dashboard somewhere. Middle seats don't fold completely down. Otherwise, it has been perfect for the past eight years."

I LOVE my Pilot

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Safe, spacious, auto everything"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"It is very spacious, very reliable and easy to drive. It has a GREAT turning radius and it can take a hit! I've been in a couple of fender-benders (they hit me!) and every time, my pilot was hardly damaged while the other car needed major repairs! Perfect family vehicle!! The only thing that could be a bit better would be gas mileage, but for an SUV it's not bad. I get about 18 miles to the gallon!"

This Honda is my favorite.

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"I bought my Pilot in 2003 and I'm still loving it. I'm almost 50 (yikes) and I've owned several different autos over the years--three different Honda models--but, this is the best auto ever! I have stuffed my Pilot (always comfortably!) with two adults & six kids, with five adults & three kids & one time I drove alone--with all of the seats lowered--and fit a queen-size bed inside. And, it fit WITHOUT having to leave anything open or tied down! I have piled pounds and pounds of mulch in the back, and I've carted family from the Midwest to the South several times, but my awesome little Pilot keeps on moving as well as it did when I bought it almost six years ago! Although my husband has tried to talk me into a new Pilot (so he can get a new car too!) I'm just too satisfied with my *old* model right now. When people first ride in it, the first thing they say is, 'it's just like driving a car!' And, it is. It sits lower to the road like a sedan but it has such beautiful power! If I do make the move to a NEW auto--it will be another Pilot! My favorite auto to drive!!"