2009 Honda Odyssey

Based on 703 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

We have two

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "Excellent,versatile all around especially highway"

Cons: "Seat warmer, coin holder"

"Liked the '04 quite well - when it was time to replace our other car, bought this '07. Very happy with it so far (1.5 years). Handling is not quite as sharp as the '04's, but more than makes up for that with better ride & less road noise. Great all-around vehicle - great driving position, very comfortable seats (2nd row as good as the fronts, & even the third row is not bad for adults); super roomy for people and stuff. Only complaints are pretty minor: the coin holder design was better in the previous version, IMO; and the seat heater gets the seatback too warm, and the bottom cushion not warm enough. (May be fixable, haven't tried.)"

The highest quality and best car experience ever

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Very, very reliable and just perfect."

Cons: "None."

"I own two of these vehicles (2005 Honda Odyssey). That is how much I like them. The MOST practical vehicle in my life. Hauls everything and everyone I need it to, runs smooth and very good on gas. Never have to do much outside normal service. I have never had to have it aligned either and I know what to look for if it needed alignment and it has never needed it. We absolutely love these vehicles. One of mine is our main daily driver and highway vehicle with 173,000 miles as of this writing. The other, the same age, is our garage queen with 50,000 miles. Have ZERO complaints on these vehicles. I am reluctantly considering selling the higher mileage model as our life situation is changing and we don't need two vans in our life. Though it is a tough decision."

Fully equipped auto perfect for handicapped

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

"Fully equipped van including an electric interior lift with a Jazzy electric chair purchased June, 2012. Value is $2525. The Navigation System was updated in 2013. There is a multi CD player and a DVD. It has a leather interior, seats four with heated front seats. ."

I really love this car.

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Best car I've ever owned."

"Very smooth riding, holds the road and feels very secure. Best car I've ever had. This is my 2nd Odyssey and this is even better than the 2004 I had before. However, since I can no longer drive, I need to give it up. Certainly not because I want to."

Get more for less

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

"I must admit that I miss the sporty vehicles of my youth; so much so that I have been shopping for cars AGAIN. What I consistently find is that a SUV generally has the same or worse gas mileage, less room, less flexibility, and costs more. The van is just too practical to part with. My Odyssey has 4 comfortable captain's chairs, a rear entertainment center, a lazy susan in the floor, a first aid compartment under the front passenger seat, magic seats that I use daily, low vehicle height, and 3d row heat/air (which are great for the old dog). When the 2d row seats are out and the magic seats down, I have an 8 foot bed. There was enough room for me, my son, and the dog to sleep in our sleeping bags when it got too darned cold to stay in the tent. The use of space is I do feel that it takes a long time to stop (so I downshift). It's tall, so it doesn't take corners like a car."

Great mini-van with many features

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Versatile, reliable, practicle"

Cons: "Road noise."

"Very versatile van. Hauls a lot of things with seats removed or folded down. Comfortable space for 6 full size people. Tight space for 7 or 8 people. It would be OK for smaller people or children. Peppy engine. Mileage averages out to 20 mpg with combined highway/city driving. Good navigation system. The back up camera is great but it is a safety requirement since the back up blind spot is huge without it. Very reliable van. I have had no major maintenance issues. One negative about the van is road noise. This is an issue with Honda vehicles in general. Turn up the radio!"

Fantastic and Reliable Car!

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "very good value for money and well laid out"

Cons: "steering is a little weird"

"I bought my 2005 Honda Odyssey in September 2008, so I've had it for just over 4 years. The car is so reliable! I live in northern Connecticut and have a vacation home in Vermont, so this car sees quite a bit of snow and cold weather! But, it has never failed me. I just climbs those mountain roads like nothing is even happening. My four kids and I and all of our skiing and snowboarding gear is packed in and the car doesn't even notice it. But, that also means when it is just me commuting to work every day, the car seems to want to throw itself around corners, as if there isn't enough weight. Also, this makes my steering become very unstable and jittery, which could be a problem for some of you potential buyers. But it is definatly worth overlooking these minor flaws! The interior is great. I have the LX model with 8 seats, meaning the second row has 3 seats in a bench style, rather than the two bucket seats. This is a great way to squeeze extra people into your car! What is also a well thought out addition is the two-zone heat/AC. I am often colder than my four children, and so I set the heat high in the front, while they like it a little cooler in the back. That way, Mom isn't the temperature tyrant. Summing up, the Honda Odyssey is a fun, reliable minivan with plenty of room, features, and a good design. A seven year old car with 102,000 miles on it isn't worth much these days, but a Honda is. I going to see if I can trade up to something a little newer, but I can't bear to lose this one. I think I'll keep it for my kids. My Odyssey is just too much a part of the family to sell. I hope everybody else who owns this car feels the same, and anyone who is looking for a minivan seriously considers the Odyssey."

Best vehicle on earth!

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and reliability"

"If I was given the opportunity to buy another vehicle tomorrow with unlimited funding I would buy another Odyssey. There is nothing else I would even be interested in. It is comfortable, dependable, it has good gas mileage. It has never given me a single problem and I love it."

Never owned a car longer - the best family van

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, easy to operate, kid-proof"

Cons: "Sound with rear-windows down on highway"

"I've owned this van for seven years now, and my family and I have loved it. Now over 89,000 miles and still running strong. Everything still works great. We've done minimal maintenance on the van: a few interior lights, rear gate hydraulic arm, air filters, wheel alignment, and over 25 oil changes. Really that's not much for a vehicle driven as hard as mine. I'm in the military and have driven from NC to CA, then to New Orleans, then to Phoenix, then to Kansas, and now in upstate NY. This van has been in the hottest and coldests cities in the U.S. (122 to -25 degrees) with no big problems. We bought a spare set of snow tires for NY, but love the PAX run-flats for all other driving conditions. We'll probably own this van another five years, up to 150,000 miles. Love it!"

Best van ever

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Very comfortable ride, great gas mileage"

Cons: "front bumper too low to ground"

"Excellent acceleration for the vehicle size and weight, very nice ride, very comfortable for all passengers."

Original owner of a great van!

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "Handling, Functionality, Fuel Economy, great vehicle overall, would buy again."

Cons: "Purchase Price, how about a diesel engine for better gas mileage?"

"The only major complaint I have about this vehicle is that it is a tire eater and not snow friendly. With 130k miles I am on my 4th set of tires. Other than that, the only out of pocket costs have been regular maintance (battery, timing belt, tires, etc.). I just had the driver window stop working on me and it seems like not an easy fix as it's not the switch or the motor- so there is my first issue. We drove a Town and Country and I hated it, even my children hated it, they wanted our van back. Our Honda really drives nice for it's size and it best in class for fuel economy. I dread the day it's time to move on from it, especially since vehicles are so expensive. If I can afford another one when it's time I would consider it. My husband would even buy another Odyssey- now that says a lot since we have owned many cars, his favorite of course is a Porsche (yeh, I get the van- where's the justice?). I love my Odyssey, it's the best vehicle I have ever owned."

LOVE THIS VAN!!

By on Friday, February 04, 2011

"When my husband and I realized we were going to have another child and NEEDED to get a minivan, I was totally against owning one. We are EXTREMELY picky when it comes to safety, style, features, room, etc. We did our research and evaluated many different makes and models but kept coming back to the Odyssey. We have owned our Odyssey since 2005 (original owners) and we have not had ONE problem with this vehicle! It's sporty looking, the safest van on the road at the time (and I think it still is) and it drives like a sedan. In fact, I often forget that I'm even driving a minivan because it handles and steers so great I swear, it's just like driving the Nissan Maxima we traded in for it. I LOVE this van, it's the only minivan I will EVER own and I have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints!! We have hauled almost everything imaginable in it with no issues. The split folding rear seats are very useful. We shop at a bulk warehouse (Costco) every three months and the back of the van fits three months' worth of bulk goods for a family of six and then some. We can't take out or move the second row seats because we have car seats in them and we still have PLENTY of storage room from the second row back. We have gone on long road trips with up to 7 passengers and everybody was comfortable AND nobody complained! My husband and I did check out the 2011 Odyssey and were disappointed that they took away a lot of the very useful features that we use on a daily basis. Not sure what they were thinking when they made some of those changes. We do like the exterior look of the 2011 model, though. If you're in the market for a minivan, you won't be disappointed if you buy an Odyssey! If you haven't owned a 2005-2010 model, the 2011 model won't disappoint because you won't be used to using the features they took away in the 2011 model."

Great Van - Some Problems

By on Saturday, September 18, 2010

"At 60,000 miles, we had already replaced the transmission, power steering pump, power steering fluid reservoir and 2 engine mounts. We by no means drive like a speed demon, and we had always maintained our van (at least meeting or exceeding the maintenance minder recommendations). Honda builds a solid van...just be aware that there are some issues they have to work on."

Tremendous Disappointment

By on Monday, July 05, 2010

"This van has been one of the most disappointing vehicles I have ever purchased (bought it new). Here are my issues: * Michelin PAX run-flat tires are very expensive to replace (about $1,200 for a set) and will only get 35-40,000 miles. * The transition from running on three cylinders to six cylinders is very rough (VCM system) Dealer was unable to detect the problem. * Had to replace front wheel bearings at about 70,000. * Transmission/transaxle is very suspect, starting to shudder going into 4th gear and whines rather loudly in cold weather. * Power steering pump whines loudly in cold weather * Air leaks, particularly around sliding doors * Tempermental operation of sliding doors. Currently at 78,000. Can't get rid of this vehicle soon enough!"

first mini van

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Bought new in 2005 model. Wife had hip replacement and we are senior citizens. Van has given us nothing but excellent service. Have taken many trips to Louisiana and Kansas City and have always gotten around 25 mpg everytime. Very comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Wife and myself are tall people. All the reviews were accurate, i would definitely purchase a honda again."

Love this van...

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"We bought this van at the end of November 2007. We haven't had any problems at all. It has alot of room, very comfortable, very stylish. The Honda Odyssey is everything we had hoped for it gets 5 stars from us. Good luck...."

Love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I really love this mini van. I kind of like the ht of the last model better due to we bike and our bikes fit in great. But other then that. I have had the seats in and out and every which way and hauled everything from bikes to china cabinets to Breyer box cartons from top to bottom. I would like for Honda to change the angle of the head rests in thier front seats. I do not care for the cup holders in the front and an optional plastic mat to protect the floor in the back would be a nice feature. WE made ours out of clear plastic stair carpet protectors to protect area while hauling bikes. Leather is well worth the extra cost and the seat warmers are the bomb. Gas milage is the only thing that I am unhappy with and the only reason we will be selling our minivan. This is my 2nd one."

CHANGED MY LIFE with my kids

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"yes, very strong statement I know! However, it IS true. i have 3 boys under 5 and its very hard for me to get all the boys out and around town, in fact I tended to NOT go out as much because of the hassle of loading up my kids in the big SUV, hoisting them up in the car seats, hauling all the bags and etc up and into the car and then lifting myself WAY up to the drivers seat I finally saw the light: at the grocery store I saw this mom with 3 kids reach with her hand and ZAP ZING, the side of her mini van opened right up. She was able to put all the kids in and then close the door, then ZING ZAPPY ZONG opens up the hatch automatically to load the groceries she then goes to the PASSENGER door, shuts it and WALKS while hunched yet WALKS between the two front seats and WALKS to the captain chairs and buckles in children and then walks to back row etc I was hooked, here I was sitting in my stupid, huge, flashy , SUV that made my life very difficult and here she was having a much easier time we spend so much money and time on trying to make life easier, I cannot fathom not getting this totally decked out minivan to help with your life I go out all the time, everything is truly effortless, the kids love it, I just cannot say enough about this car this silly MINIVAN that actually is the most comfortable car I have ever driven, and I have had some serious luxury cars between me and the husband I will never own another SUV or make/model, this is the most well built, luxurious, decked out for hte price car we have ever bought I walked away from the suv after choking up the upside down fee, the gas savings ALONE save me $95 a WEEK a WEEK ridiculous! thanks"

Get what you pay for

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"We are just about to take delivery of our 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L + Navi + DVD after putting 60k miles on our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L. Why did I purchase the Odyssey? - Best crash rating (Toyota was a close second) - Excellent resale value (Dodge/Chrysler value drops like a brick!) - All new for 2005, and we loved the styling (did not even test drive the Nissan – yuck!) - The Odyssey was the only mini-van of the class that made the transition from car to van an easy one. (Toyota was a distant second as was the Dodge/Chrysler) - The best back for the buck (options/$) was the Honda Odyssey EX-L. Got ours for $27,500 out the door. - The Honda has technology that shuts off 3 cylinders of the car engine, which if you do a lot of highway driving (as we do), it is better on gas than any mini-van. Why are we purchasing an Odyssey again? - Had a good experience with the 2005. - New style/features for the 2008 (Toyota will not do an upgrade till 2010) - $1000 dealer cash + .9% for 36 months (Dodge had an unlimited power train, but the looks :- yuck!) - Sister needs to transition from car to van, and I wanted her to be in a safe, reliable car so I am selling her ours. - Stow and go in the second row is a novelty that we would never use. All of our storage is had by laying down the 3rd row seats. Also, in order to stow the seats the seats need to be a lot thinner. Thus for the few times you need to stow them, you have to deal the seats being less comfortable. Trust me, just pull the second row seats out the few times you need to."

Very Good Van

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I still think this is the best van on the road even though I have had some minor issues. We bought it with about 24K miles...We now have almost 40K and I hope to drive it until 200K. It is very comfortable with many creature comforts. We have two young boys and the features keep them comfortable and busy on trips. The mechanical problems we had were taken care of by the dealer under warranty (sure hope all issues are resolved now, not looking forward to paying dealership mechanic prices): power steering pump replaced (noisy), DVD entertainment system lost sound headphones (a wire came loose behind the dash), brakes replaced (they were grinding when heated, like at the end of a roadtrip - dealer said thay have seen this on quite a few). Only other complaint is that this vehicle is not good at all in bad weather, heavy rain or light snow. I am hoping new tires (a different brand) will be better...hopefully I can push that off until the end of this summer. I really wish the EX-L came with the auto headlamps and auto rear door..."

fairly content with purchase

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"We love Honda's because they have always been known for their performance and quality but after purchasing this Honda new with 0 miles on it, we were less than thrilled. The car looks great but has some minor areas that were not assembled well. Areas we didn't notice until after the purchase. We had the sliding doors repaired and the scratches they made repaired. The glove compartment did not close all the way and still does not line up correctly. The condensor/ac unit is located directly beneath the license plate holder and is not protected at all, therefore it is easily damaged by a rock or asphalt. We have replaced the condensor at our expense. This is a very, very common problem. Several hundred Odyssey owners have experienced the same issue. Honda will not cover this under the warranty, even though it's their poor design. We currently have the car in the shop because of brake problems and hopefully that will come under our original warranty. The steering is o.k. not as nice as my sisters Yukon. It does not turn easily. All in all, it drives well but I'm not as happy as I expected to be."

125,000 miles and going strong!

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"This is my second Honda Odyssey, and at 125,000 miles I am not ready to part with it yet but rather will pass it down to my teenager. Love the van, it's comfort, it's roominess and most of all it's reliability. I'd by a third but no longer need a mini-van for family needs."

Surprisingly Expensive

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "leather is good, ok acceleration"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain, even routine things."

"I am very disappointed in this vehicle. Almost from Day 1, we have had nothing but problems. Though I live in Arizona and we expect to replace batteries every 2 to 2 1/2 years, we have had to replace a batteries in this van every year we have had it. The brakes Honda uses on this van are organic pads that within the first 15,000 miles or so, cause the rotors to warp, thereby causing the steering wheel to vibrate when stopping from highway speeds. So, in addition to getting a brake job for about $250.00, you have to get the rotors re-surfaced for an additional $200 or so. At around 55,000 miles, the starter went out on the car and costs around $425.00. The latest thing is an actuator on the sliding door that the place wants about $800 to fix as well as $1200 to fix a bushing. All these extra repairs are in addition to the usual maintenance we do - i.e.- oil changes, transmission fluid changes, as well as fluid changes on things I never knew needed flushing, such as power steering and brake flush. Every time we take the car in, it seems like the repairs are $300 to $600 a visit."

Great vehicle for a family

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "more power than you would think, miserly on gas"

Cons: "a little tight for long legs"

"have owned this vehicle since it was new, and have absolutely no complaints. I'm 6'6", and it accommodates me well. I've never had a mechanical problem with it beyond normal wear."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Price, MPG, comfort, convience, looks"

Cons: "PAX from factory"

"Not had any complaints except the PAX system which we recently had removed and can now have standard tires placed next time We've also not had ANY transmission issues (unlike the reviews)"