2008 Honda Odyssey

Based on 717 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

LOVE THIS VAN!!

By on Friday, February 4, 2011

"When my husband and I realized we were going to have another child and NEEDED to get a minivan, I was totally against owning one. We are EXTREMELY picky when it comes to safety, style, features, room, etc. We did our research and evaluated many different makes and models but kept coming back to the Odyssey. We have owned our Odyssey since 2005 (original owners) and we have not had ONE problem with this vehicle! It's sporty looking, the safest van on the road at the time (and I think it still is) and it drives like a sedan. In fact, I often forget that I'm even driving a minivan because it handles and steers so great I swear, it's just like driving the Nissan Maxima we traded in for it. I LOVE this van, it's the only minivan I will EVER own and I have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints!! We have hauled almost everything imaginable in it with no issues. The split folding rear seats are very useful. We shop at a bulk warehouse (Costco) every three months and the back of the van fits three months' worth of bulk goods for a family of six and then some. We can't take out or move the second row seats because we have car seats in them and we still have PLENTY of storage room from the second row back. We have gone on long road trips with up to 7 passengers and everybody was comfortable AND nobody complained! My husband and I did check out the 2011 Odyssey and were disappointed that they took away a lot of the very useful features that we use on a daily basis. Not sure what they were thinking when they made some of those changes. We do like the exterior look of the 2011 model, though. If you're in the market for a minivan, you won't be disappointed if you buy an Odyssey! If you haven't owned a 2005-2010 model, the 2011 model won't disappoint because you won't be used to using the features they took away in the 2011 model."

Everything they say it is but---

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"This van is everything the reveiws say it is and more. One minor compliant. The transmission in this vehicle stinks. The downshifts are unpredictable and at times harsh. The grade logic has a mind of its own and behaves irratically. I have been told by my local dealer that this is typical for this vehicle. Since I am an 11 time buyer of Honda's, and have never had this type of problem with any of my other vehicles, I doubt this vehicle will be on my short list next time around. Comfort yes, efficient for a van yes, quality build yes. Driveline--oh but no. Sorry Honda, just MHO."

06 Odyssey - Not what you might expect from Honda.

By on Sunday, April 5, 2015

Pros: "Space!, efficiency, comfort, maneuverability, ease"

Cons: "annoying reliability issues,"

"This vehicle was purchased used with approx 105K miles, now up to approx 135K. Owning: The tires were replaced once, but that is to be expected, as tires are wear items. The timing belt was replaced at ~112K miles for just over $1,000. The Alternator was replaced at ~115K miles, for just over $1,000. It has needed two batteries since I have had it, though the first one was one of those "eco batteries", so that had some influence. Occasionally, when I turn the key, it will not start. It won't do anything, in fact. You need to turn the key several (often 10-20 or more) times before it finally starts. (at first, this was blamed on leaving an accessory on, then the battery performance.) Finally, it just would not start at all, and recently, the starter was replaced. Since then, the problem has dissolved. Also, the steering wheel intermittently will vibrate wildly when braking. It will do this on smooth or rough roads, at high speed or low speed, and under light braking as well as under hard braking, it makes no difference. It has progressively gotten worse since I've owned it, and it is quite rare, maybe once every 50 times the brake pedal is applied, give or take. The power steering fluid somehow manages to leak, but it has never lost power steering. This occasional leaking causes a strange smell to show up inside the cabin as well as just outside the hood. The reason I bought this vehicle was because I needed space for passengers as well as cargo, and it has served that purpose beautifully. However, because of all these issues it has (especially not starting), I would not recommend purchasing one. Some issues are just from wear and tear, but others are unacceptable, especially from a Honda product. Driving: MPG is incredible for what it is. Around town it gets 18-21. At 72-82mph on the highway, it averages from 24-26. It's an EX-L, so it does have VCM & eco mode. It is driven mildly most of the time; how it was intended to be driven. At 60 mph, engine revs at 2000 rpm, and at 80 mph, it does 2600 rpm. At highway speed, the engine is very hushed, but the wind & tire noise are prominent. It has plenty of power from any speed. The tires will even chirp from a stop if you aren't careful. Around town, it drives very well I'd say. The brake feel is excellent. It is heavy, so don't expect super short braking distances, and (fortunately) I've never had to do a panic stop, so I can't say much about that. The steering is also very good. 3.45 turns lock-lock, and the turning radius is actually decent. The steering feels "alive" and it will shake when you go over rough surfaces, bumps, etc, but it's a good sensation. The transmission works well, but I do have a complaint. It shifts so smoothly when you accelerate, like butter, but when you're easy on the throttle, especially around 35-45 mph, and can be jerky. Also, when you slow down to about 20-25 mph, and then accelerate again, it works very hard. It does have a D3 mode, that I try to use, and it is somewhat helpful on the Mountains here in Georgia going down long hills. It's supposed to save wear on the brakes, so I figure why not. It's very comfortable overall, but the ride can be rough. Every passenger that rides in it has only good things to say. Visibility is good too, the pillars aren't extremely thick, and the blind spot is surprisingly easy to check. Oh, and the headlights are foggy :/"

Get more for less

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

"I must admit that I miss the sporty vehicles of my youth; so much so that I have been shopping for cars AGAIN. What I consistently find is that a SUV generally has the same or worse gas mileage, less room, less flexibility, and costs more. The van is just too practical to part with. My Odyssey has 4 comfortable captain's chairs, a rear entertainment center, a lazy susan in the floor, a first aid compartment under the front passenger seat, magic seats that I use daily, low vehicle height, and 3d row heat/air (which are great for the old dog). When the 2d row seats are out and the magic seats down, I have an 8 foot bed. There was enough room for me, my son, and the dog to sleep in our sleeping bags when it got too darned cold to stay in the tent. The use of space is I do feel that it takes a long time to stop (so I downshift). It's tall, so it doesn't take corners like a car."

Never owned a car longer - the best family van

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, easy to operate, kid-proof"

Cons: "Sound with rear-windows down on highway"

"I've owned this van for seven years now, and my family and I have loved it. Now over 89,000 miles and still running strong. Everything still works great. We've done minimal maintenance on the van: a few interior lights, rear gate hydraulic arm, air filters, wheel alignment, and over 25 oil changes. Really that's not much for a vehicle driven as hard as mine. I'm in the military and have driven from NC to CA, then to New Orleans, then to Phoenix, then to Kansas, and now in upstate NY. This van has been in the hottest and coldests cities in the U.S. (122 to -25 degrees) with no big problems. We bought a spare set of snow tires for NY, but love the PAX run-flats for all other driving conditions. We'll probably own this van another five years, up to 150,000 miles. Love it!"