2008 Honda Odyssey

Based on 665 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Pretty Happy So Far.....

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"We purchased the 2006 Odyssey EXL in '06 with about 83 miles on it and it now has 55,000 miles. It has been great for everyday driving, school carpooling, taking our daughter back and forth to college, and also road trips to WI, OH, northern MN, and through the mountains of CO. I also love all of the interior room and the flexibility of the seating. Heated seats in MN are a Godsend! This is our first Honda, so we had pretty high hopes and expectations that we would avoid the numerous mechanical problems we had experienced with all the domestics that we have owned over the years. I do love it, but I'm a bit bummed about a couple of problems we have encountered so far at such low mileage(for a Honda): at about 25,000 miles the two front tires had to be replaced due to the steel belts in the tires separating--naturally, we were just past any warranty that would cover this. Thank God we didn't choose the touring edition or it really would have cost us a bundle to replace them. Also, recently the car was making a loud whining noise(55,000mi.) and became difficult to steer when turning in and out of tight spots. It turns out that the power steering pump for the fluid had to be replaced and the power steering reservoir was plugged. Otherwise, it's been a nice, comfortable van to drive and I feel confident about its safety as well. If I had it to do over again, I would certainly purchase one w/some miles and save some $$$$ since I don't think I would ever spend $30K on it again."

Inexpensive to own

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "good power, 19-22 mpg, safe, cheap maint."

Cons: "it's not as sexy as an SUV"

"Have owned 2006 Odyssey with Tan outside and Tan inside. Upholstry has held up to family of seven's wear and tear. In 105,000 have only had to replace brakes once. We have no regrets about not picking the Sienna. This was our first non-SUV (after 3 prior SUVs) and has proven to be an excellent value. We drive 800-2,000 mile roadtrips and the car is roomy and flexible. Gas mileage has been 19-22 miles per gallon in city and highway. Car grips road okay and has been a very safe family car. Options purchased have been crossbars for roofrack and extra screens for the back. We think this is a well engineered car."

People mover

By on Monday, November 30, 2009

"My wife and I are BMW enthusiasts and we own one, since with three children a minivan is a “must” second vehicle. In 2006 we purchased our 4th Odyssey, that was re-designed and looked terrific. All previous vans were very noisy and this one was just a little better; however, on the long trips the noise is still bothering. Extra storage spaces, including “lazy Susan” in the middle of the floor, are great. Extra seat for an 8th person, although small, is functional when you drive 7 kids to or from a party or the movies. Only 7 would feel ok on a long trip. The moon roof is a fantastic option in a van; however,the switch is on the left side of the driver, so passenger can’t operate it - irritating mistake. No Odyssey prior to the 2006 model gave us any mechanical problems. Different for the 2006 model! At 35k miles once in a while the transmission started shaking at 25 – 30 mph and, less frequently, at 70-75mph. Now, at 45k miles the shaking is a regular event at low speed. At approximately 43k the power stirring started failing and at sharp, low speed turning it frequently feels like steering with no power assistance. Now, at 45 k the power steering several times made humming noise at the sharp, low speed turns. The dealer suggested replacement of a filter and flushing power steering fluid at the estimated cost of $110 - $160. At 37k the brakes had to be replaced and rotors had to be were turned (?!) to eliminate shaking while braking. We still like Odyssey better than other vans; however, I can’t wait when my kids won’t need “vanning”."

Decide if you can live with its problems first

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, extremely convenient - versatile"

Cons: "unreliable - expensive to maintain."

"I wont tell you wether the car is good or bad. That depends on each of us. If your thinking about buying one, my recommendation is that you do some research on the internet first, specially on owner forums and so on. Avoid the expert reviews. Yes, they tell you wether they like the dashboard, the feel of the door knob, the driving dynamics, etc. But they can't tell you a thing about owning one. I have never come across a review from any expert that even try to hint or address all the issues that owners of these cars have to face. For those, the real expertise can be found on odyssey user/owner forums. Here it is my summary: brake problems - steering wheel vibration when breaking on highways speeds (almost every odyssey owner deals with this), front axel issues (almost everyone over 40K miles has replaced at least one axel), oil consumption - by careful not exceeding 5K miles between oil maintenance (also a common problem. I have heard Honda is having a terrible time dealing with the V6 engine), problems with the powered sliding doors (this seems to be common but I have not had to deal with it yet), transmission problems (I have not had this one either, but is also mentioned quite often on the forums), electrical problems (specially on the exl and touring). So check these and decide if you are willing to live with that sort of things, in exchange for a very comfortable ride and design that offers a lot of convenience. If you decide that you are going to go for it make sure you buy the extended warranty. You will definitely need it."

great family vehicle

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "safe, comfortable, plenty of power, good MPG"

Cons: "not exactly sexy"

"I'm on my second Odyssey. Leased them first and bought the second one outright. For such a comfortable, two wheel drive vehicle that has plenty of power....and with good snow tires it does great on snow and ice (even at 8,000 ft. where I live)this thing gets 22-26 MPG. I've had no mechanical issues. If you don't need all the gadgets and whistles, the LX is a great choice."

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "I never thought I wanted to own a van...no longer."

"The seats are excellent for comfort and long distance driving. My husband had a bad back when we bought it, and he was amazed at the comfort. It is roomy, gets great gas mileage and has had no issues. We are so sold on Honda that we bought another one. You can't go wrong."

Transmission Problems!

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A). Like many other owners we too are having transmission issues. We just had to the dealer for the transmission "judder" fix, but guess what? It's worse than it was before! Vehicle shakes at 25 MPH while transmission hunts for a gear, especially on hills. There is also an intermittent shake at highway speeds (70 MPH) that I no longer believe has anything to do with tires or alignment, but with the drivetrain itself. Like others when entering/exiting ECO mode there is too much noise from the transmission. The VCM system does not seem to improve gas mileage so I say Honda should eliminate it. We've had 7 Hondas now and this is the first and only Odyssey we will own."

Happy Owner

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"We bought this van after owning a 2000 Toyota Sienna for 4 years. This EX-L Odyssey is by far better looking, more comfortable and has much better handling and performance. I truly enjoy driving it on the weekends with the kids. However, I do not enjoy taking it to the gas station, I guess you can't have great performance and great gas mileage...oh well! I bought this car used and I have not had the car very long but have already had a couple of mnor problems: the ECO mode stopped working once (bad sensor wire), the DVD lost sound through the headphones (a wire came loose in the dash), there was a recall on the fuel pump and the front brakes had to be replaced after 30,000 miles (the dealer said the factory brakes seem to have too much metal in them and they are causing some noise and other issues). I am getting ready to run out the warranty (36,000 miles), and I am bit concerned...Even though all of these issues are minor, they would have cost quite a bit out of pocket without the warranty. I do enjoy this van...the little features that Honda provides like DVD sound through the stereo, seperate climate controls, both sliding doors powered, cup holders everywhere and the lazy-susan in the floor for the kids, especially for the fact it has two compartment doors that allow the driver/passenger to reach things as well. The only feature missing, in my opinion, is the powered lift gate...I almost bought the 2007 Nissan Quest for that one feature (for the same price as this used Odyssey). Overall, I am happy with my purchase...it helps to know that the resale value is fantastic on this vehicle as well, good luck finding a used one!"

excellent car

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "great an accident situation."

Cons: "wish it has slightly better gas mileage."

"I was recently in a head-on collision and because of the superb engineering of this car and it's stabilizer I was able to walk away with slight back pain. Although the gas mileage isn't bad, just wish it was in the mid 20s. 17 cup holders, very roomy, and great storage. Kids love the rear-dvd system."

Not as good as the 2008 I replaced.

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"A lot of road noise. Will have to look around next time. Otherwise, very comfortable. Torque converter failed 50K, power steering leaking 55K."

Great value for the money

By on Saturday, September 05, 2009

"Choice came down to '07 CRV or '07 Odyssey; van won due to price. Got fully loaded Touring model off the lot for $5K less than the CRV! We're senior citizens who don't use the back seat DVD, but everything else gets a workout. The navi system is a marriage saver, says my wife. Power doors and tailgate quickly became indispensable. Wife likes high driving position. Both of us find the vehicle comfortable and reliable. Only minor problems, including many pesky BSR (buzzes, squeaks, and rattles) that mysteriously disappear a mile from the dealer. Fuel mileage is about what most say they get (18 city; 25 hwy). Variable cylinder managment system works transparently. We've had it to both coasts and most places in-between, and love it for its quiet comfort and enormous luggage capacity. Someone said "don't go without it;" this van allows us to do just that. Actually, we enjoy its cargo versatility. In many ways it's more useful than our '01 4-door dually pickup for carrying things out of the weather, including one time a dining table and six chairs all at once! We bought the 100K extended warranty; good for peace of mind, but probably won't be needed. Run-flat tires are of questionable value due to lack of spare. OK, I'm a worry-wart but I wish it had one. We never use the circular lazy susan storage area behind the front seats that I assume is where the spare should be. I've owned 40 or 50 cars over a 50+ year period and only one or two have been as good as this Honda. Hope it continues on this way. Won't be trading it for another five years at least."

Everything they say it is but---

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"This van is everything the reveiws say it is and more. One minor compliant. The transmission in this vehicle stinks. The downshifts are unpredictable and at times harsh. The grade logic has a mind of its own and behaves irratically. I have been told by my local dealer that this is typical for this vehicle. Since I am an 11 time buyer of Honda's, and have never had this type of problem with any of my other vehicles, I doubt this vehicle will be on my short list next time around. Comfort yes, efficient for a van yes, quality build yes. Driveline--oh but no. Sorry Honda, just MHO."

Best Van Ever

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

"I have had Toyota Sienna's since 2001, and bought this Honda Odyssey in 2010 and it's the best van ever. I probabaly will never buy another Sienna. The Odyssey handles like a Cadillac. It turns so smoothly when making turns or U-Turns and rides amazingly. It doesnt even feel like your driving a van. It has so much power and when driving on the freeway, there isn't any shaking or trembling when going at higher speeds like I had with my Sienna. I love my van. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to buy a van for comfort, for convenience, especially for mom's with children. I feel so safe in this car, and I know my girls do too. What this van gives you in convenience, agility and comfort is well worth it."

I love this vehicle!

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, excellent maintainance history,"

Cons: "run flat tires with no dealer here to service,"

"This minivan is the best vehicle I have ever had. Its seats are so comfortable and it handles like a dream. In fact, it drives like a car and not a van. The cargo area is very roomy and I love the automatic doors and windows. It has great leg room and the heated seats and the pull-down shades on the back seat windows are nice."

This VAN ROCKS!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Perfect fit for our family of 6, smooth ride"

Cons: "Nothing really."

"'06 EX-L. Great van! We haul 4 kids - all in car seats, and two adults nearly anywhere we go. Also, do lots of towing of 1500 - 2000 lb trailer every month. Does great and pulls any hill and accelerates with ease. 250 hp is perfect. Handles great. Good on gas for an 8 passenger van. We probably avg 20 mpg, because we live in the city and 90% of our driving is city. Probably get 26 on the highway, with a long trip over 28 mpg (typically 17+ or so with trailer). All the buttons are in the right place and the features are just right. Can't say enough about this one - plan to buy another when we wear this one out."

09 odyssey

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"We have owned the odyssey 1 year and driven 12,000 miles. We love this van. There is nothing mini about it. Very comfortable, functional, reliable and fun to drive. The engine is super smooth, responsive and fuel efficient. We get 23 mpg on the hiway road trips. Tons of room inside and it is more usable room than the biggest SUV's. It is way easier to enter and load than big SUV's. The fold down seats in back are very functional and easy to fold down and put back up. When the back seats are up, You can store a ton back there. We have hauled 3 hockey bags, 6 passengers plus suit cases no problem. Others complain about road noise but it is the quitest vehicle I have ever driven including chevy, dodge and ford vans and suv's. I highly recommend this vehicle."

5th Honda for us

By on Monday, March 22, 2010

"This is our fifth Honda (2nd Odyssey, current one is a 2001) and we are very pleased with it, but not surprised as all the Honda's have been excellent (389,000 for my last one). Living in Canada, we have a set of snow tires/w. rims; those people who complain about the vehicle not perfoming in snow should give their head a shake. A separate set of snow tires is a must with any vehicle in a snow climate, however I speak as someone who lives in it and is very familiar with driving in it. Most collisions are caused by driver error, not because of the vehicle (I'm a collision reconstructuionist by profession). That last sentence was for the benefit of those complaints about the vehicle 'causing' the accident in snow; which is highly unlikely. The vans are expensive, but worth it if you are a person who keeps the vehicle until it demands replacement. Excellent service from Honda dealership, but it has easily been repaired by other mechanics for brakes/timing belt (1 set each at 160,000). Well laid out, very roomy and drives like the 'Accord'; by the way the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT came in at only $1800 cheaper on a cash purchase. Which would you rather drive considering the monetary difference? Honda costs a wee bit more, but lasts a whole lot longer if cared for. Safety is top drawer and the standard ABS brake system/traction control and Stability control are all excellent."

solid vechile/over sold marketing

By on Friday, December 19, 2008

"we bought the van new in july of 07. currently has 57,000 miles. If you want a mini-van this is a great mini-van. I love it because of my family, but it is not the 4x4 truck I gave up for it. Bottom line: it is solid car, good engine, but lower than advertised gas miliage. We may have gotten a tahoe if we knew the real mile/gallon was to be 15 city and 22 highway. Just changed tires to Yokohama TRz's and they made a huge difference in cabin noise, snow and ice driving. I still wish it was all wheel drive. I also wish we would have saved by buying it used. Planning on driving it until 180,000 miles, and believe it will make it."

Great Minivan

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Odyssey has numerous qualities that make it a more than safe bet for anyone considering a minivan. It definitely does not have the "soccor-mom" look so often associated with the Chrysler/Dodge minivan--even the redesigned Town&Country/Caravan! While still being with my Odyssey for 2, going on 3 years I actually got to drive the new Chrysler Town&Country as a rental while out in CA. It is true it has many amenities as well, but I was disappointed to find the difference in overall driving peformance and rather dull fit and finish interior. Since Chrysler/Dodge is trying to escape it's "mommy-only" exterior design, it's now become too boxy. Odyssey is much more sleek and less gender and/or age-specific. Anyone and I mean ANYONE can appreciate the Odyssey. Plus there is only one other make that could possibly match the quality and longevity which is the Toyota Sienna. The greatest difference between these two vehicles in this class is on long rides, the Odyssey seating can become "thin" and slightly uncomfortable; also, it can be a tad bit pricier depending on what trimline you get. The Sienna is not entirely the cheaper comparison. At best, once you throw in options that often the Odyssey comes in as standard, the Sienna could easily catch up to the Odyssey's higher price tag. Either way, they almost balance out in the end. I've enjoyed the Odyssey's spaciousness, extras and reliability. It has been lovingly referred to by friends as either the "airplane" or the "spaceship" with all its high-tech/futuristic looking knobs, colorful lights and automatic sliding doors. It has been filled to the brim many times toting friends and their luggage on beach trips just a couple hours away or as far as 8 hours on the open highway. It has never let me down and I don't ever expect it to!"

Wreck Tested

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"With a family of two young boys under the age of 5, and with me being gone all the time, I needed a vehicle that would make life easier for my wife with easy access to the baby seats, electric sliding doors that can be actuated from a distance when her hands are full with the kids or when her hands are full and it's raining cats and dogs. A comfortable ride for those longs road trips, DVD system to keep the kids entertained, decent gas mileage, front and rear heater/aircond controls, built-in sun shields for the kids windows, did I mention the sliding door windows rolls down like a regular door window, seats folds using one hand. Awesome car!! BUT the vehicle also needed to be SAFE. With Honda's great vehicle test ratings and nine airbags in this Odyssey, the price you pay for this minivan is well worth it. How do I know? I purchased our Odyssey last year 2007 brand new with 15 miles on the odometer, already did a road trip to Orlando Florida and the car performed great as to performance, comfort, and funtions with the kids. HERE WE GO... yesterday my wife got into a car accident, she was T-Boned (hit in the driver side) by another car (Mitsubisi Sedan) with the baby sitting in the baby seat on the driver side sliding door. All curtain airbags deployed preventing impact and glass particle injuries. Thank god- Everyone in the van escape without life threating injuries. The van has been totalled a lost and I have to get another vehicle. Which vehicle will I purchase again? Another Honda Odyssey, I am SOLD on this vehicle!"

About What I Expected

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"My wife and I purchased this vehicle to accomodate the growing family. In that respect, it has worked out perfectly. We debated between the Odyssey and a SUV. We choose the Odyssey primarily due to Honda's reputation, 3rd row access and fuel economy. The vehicle has achieved what we felt it could do better than an SUV. We've taken short road trips with 8 adults and no problems. Our friends have come to rely on it for weekend ventures. They're especially impressed with the interior styling and comfort. On the down side, the passenger area is somewhat tight for tall or large individuals. We're also very leary about the automatic sliding doors. We've had one repair on the door, they open/close at different speeds and make noise. The doors have not failed since being repaired, while under warranty, but we're not looking forward to the day when the warranty expires. Overall, a great vehicle with several advantages over an SUV."

biggest minivan

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"This is a great car for families needing to haul things with them on trips, as well as loading purchases. However, the drawback i have found would be the PAX system tires. They are very expensive and very low mileage tires for such an expensive car."

Fully equipped auto perfect for handicapped

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

"Fully equipped van including an electric interior lift with a Jazzy electric chair purchased June, 2012. Value is $2525. The Navigation System was updated in 2013. There is a multi CD player and a DVD. It has a leather interior, seats four with heated front seats. ."

I really love this car.

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Best car I've ever owned."

"Very smooth riding, holds the road and feels very secure. Best car I've ever had. This is my 2nd Odyssey and this is even better than the 2004 I had before. However, since I can no longer drive, I need to give it up. Certainly not because I want to."

2006 Ody was a good choice.

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Drive, power, interior finish, and safety."

Cons: "Too sweet for off-road."

"2006 Odyssey purchaced with over 100k showing. We've owned it exactly a year and love it. Comfort, power, drive is all incredible. We've put over 20k on it this year, which is more miles than normal because we like driving it so much. We skipped 1999-2004 & 2005 based on advice from a Honda mechanic and settled on the 2006. So far, we are very happy with that choice."