2008 Honda Odyssey

Based on 695 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Pretty Happy So Far.....

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"We purchased the 2006 Odyssey EXL in '06 with about 83 miles on it and it now has 55,000 miles. It has been great for everyday driving, school carpooling, taking our daughter back and forth to college, and also road trips to WI, OH, northern MN, and through the mountains of CO. I also love all of the interior room and the flexibility of the seating. Heated seats in MN are a Godsend! This is our first Honda, so we had pretty high hopes and expectations that we would avoid the numerous mechanical problems we had experienced with all the domestics that we have owned over the years. I do love it, but I'm a bit bummed about a couple of problems we have encountered so far at such low mileage(for a Honda): at about 25,000 miles the two front tires had to be replaced due to the steel belts in the tires separating--naturally, we were just past any warranty that would cover this. Thank God we didn't choose the touring edition or it really would have cost us a bundle to replace them. Also, recently the car was making a loud whining noise(55,000mi.) and became difficult to steer when turning in and out of tight spots. It turns out that the power steering pump for the fluid had to be replaced and the power steering reservoir was plugged. Otherwise, it's been a nice, comfortable van to drive and I feel confident about its safety as well. If I had it to do over again, I would certainly purchase one w/some miles and save some $$$$ since I don't think I would ever spend $30K on it again."

Inexpensive to own

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "good power, 19-22 mpg, safe, cheap maint."

Cons: "it's not as sexy as an SUV"

"Have owned 2006 Odyssey with Tan outside and Tan inside. Upholstry has held up to family of seven's wear and tear. In 105,000 have only had to replace brakes once. We have no regrets about not picking the Sienna. This was our first non-SUV (after 3 prior SUVs) and has proven to be an excellent value. We drive 800-2,000 mile roadtrips and the car is roomy and flexible. Gas mileage has been 19-22 miles per gallon in city and highway. Car grips road okay and has been a very safe family car. Options purchased have been crossbars for roofrack and extra screens for the back. We think this is a well engineered car."

Decide if you can live with its problems first

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, extremely convenient - versatile"

Cons: "unreliable - expensive to maintain."

"I wont tell you wether the car is good or bad. That depends on each of us. If your thinking about buying one, my recommendation is that you do some research on the internet first, specially on owner forums and so on. Avoid the expert reviews. Yes, they tell you wether they like the dashboard, the feel of the door knob, the driving dynamics, etc. But they can't tell you a thing about owning one. I have never come across a review from any expert that even try to hint or address all the issues that owners of these cars have to face. For those, the real expertise can be found on odyssey user/owner forums. Here it is my summary: brake problems - steering wheel vibration when breaking on highways speeds (almost every odyssey owner deals with this), front axel issues (almost everyone over 40K miles has replaced at least one axel), oil consumption - by careful not exceeding 5K miles between oil maintenance (also a common problem. I have heard Honda is having a terrible time dealing with the V6 engine), problems with the powered sliding doors (this seems to be common but I have not had to deal with it yet), transmission problems (I have not had this one either, but is also mentioned quite often on the forums), electrical problems (specially on the exl and touring). So check these and decide if you are willing to live with that sort of things, in exchange for a very comfortable ride and design that offers a lot of convenience. If you decide that you are going to go for it make sure you buy the extended warranty. You will definitely need it."

great family vehicle

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "safe, comfortable, plenty of power, good MPG"

Cons: "not exactly sexy"

"I'm on my second Odyssey. Leased them first and bought the second one outright. For such a comfortable, two wheel drive vehicle that has plenty of power....and with good snow tires it does great on snow and ice (even at 8,000 ft. where I live)this thing gets 22-26 MPG. I've had no mechanical issues. If you don't need all the gadgets and whistles, the LX is a great choice."

This is my dream van, loaded with all i want and

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

Pros: "priced right joy to drive a short or long distance"

Cons: "best vehicle i ever had, 15 yr owner of odyessy"

"use, Like the navigation system, the back up camera, heated outside mirrors, XM radio stations, drivers power seat, blue metallic color, driving is fun, good all around view from drivers seat, tinted side rear windows, roof rack for thule car carrier, read hitch for bike rack and towing etc. I want to buy another Honda odyssey. Never broke down on the road, serviced by Honda since new. Great for traveling long distance, and camping."

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "I never thought I wanted to own a van...no longer."

"The seats are excellent for comfort and long distance driving. My husband had a bad back when we bought it, and he was amazed at the comfort. It is roomy, gets great gas mileage and has had no issues. We are so sold on Honda that we bought another one. You can't go wrong."

Transmission Problems!

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A). Like many other owners we too are having transmission issues. We just had to the dealer for the transmission "judder" fix, but guess what? It's worse than it was before! Vehicle shakes at 25 MPH while transmission hunts for a gear, especially on hills. There is also an intermittent shake at highway speeds (70 MPH) that I no longer believe has anything to do with tires or alignment, but with the drivetrain itself. Like others when entering/exiting ECO mode there is too much noise from the transmission. The VCM system does not seem to improve gas mileage so I say Honda should eliminate it. We've had 7 Hondas now and this is the first and only Odyssey we will own."

Happy Owner

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"We bought this van after owning a 2000 Toyota Sienna for 4 years. This EX-L Odyssey is by far better looking, more comfortable and has much better handling and performance. I truly enjoy driving it on the weekends with the kids. However, I do not enjoy taking it to the gas station, I guess you can't have great performance and great gas mileage...oh well! I bought this car used and I have not had the car very long but have already had a couple of mnor problems: the ECO mode stopped working once (bad sensor wire), the DVD lost sound through the headphones (a wire came loose in the dash), there was a recall on the fuel pump and the front brakes had to be replaced after 30,000 miles (the dealer said the factory brakes seem to have too much metal in them and they are causing some noise and other issues). I am getting ready to run out the warranty (36,000 miles), and I am bit concerned...Even though all of these issues are minor, they would have cost quite a bit out of pocket without the warranty. I do enjoy this van...the little features that Honda provides like DVD sound through the stereo, seperate climate controls, both sliding doors powered, cup holders everywhere and the lazy-susan in the floor for the kids, especially for the fact it has two compartment doors that allow the driver/passenger to reach things as well. The only feature missing, in my opinion, is the powered lift gate...I almost bought the 2007 Nissan Quest for that one feature (for the same price as this used Odyssey). Overall, I am happy with my purchase...it helps to know that the resale value is fantastic on this vehicle as well, good luck finding a used one!"

great vehicle, well engineered

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

Pros: "dependable, drives like a sedan"

Cons: "road noise on interstates"

"except for road noise, this is a great vehicle for local AND long distance driving. seats are comfortable and controls are accessible and functional. the 2014 is, reportedly, a good deal quieter."

excellent car

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "great an accident situation."

Cons: "wish it has slightly better gas mileage."

"I was recently in a head-on collision and because of the superb engineering of this car and it's stabilizer I was able to walk away with slight back pain. Although the gas mileage isn't bad, just wish it was in the mid 20s. 17 cup holders, very roomy, and great storage. Kids love the rear-dvd system."