2005 Honda Odyssey

Based on 716 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Tremendous Disappointment

By on Monday, July 5, 2010

"This van has been one of the most disappointing vehicles I have ever purchased (bought it new). Here are my issues: * Michelin PAX run-flat tires are very expensive to replace (about $1,200 for a set) and will only get 35-40,000 miles. * The transition from running on three cylinders to six cylinders is very rough (VCM system) Dealer was unable to detect the problem. * Had to replace front wheel bearings at about 70,000. * Transmission/transaxle is very suspect, starting to shudder going into 4th gear and whines rather loudly in cold weather. * Power steering pump whines loudly in cold weather * Air leaks, particularly around sliding doors * Tempermental operation of sliding doors. Currently at 78,000. Can't get rid of this vehicle soon enough!"

first mini van

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Bought new in 2005 model. Wife had hip replacement and we are senior citizens. Van has given us nothing but excellent service. Have taken many trips to Louisiana and Kansas City and have always gotten around 25 mpg everytime. Very comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Wife and myself are tall people. All the reviews were accurate, i would definitely purchase a honda again."

Love this van...

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"We bought this van at the end of November 2007. We haven't had any problems at all. It has alot of room, very comfortable, very stylish. The Honda Odyssey is everything we had hoped for it gets 5 stars from us. Good luck...."

Love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"I really love this mini van. I kind of like the ht of the last model better due to we bike and our bikes fit in great. But other then that. I have had the seats in and out and every which way and hauled everything from bikes to china cabinets to Breyer box cartons from top to bottom. I would like for Honda to change the angle of the head rests in thier front seats. I do not care for the cup holders in the front and an optional plastic mat to protect the floor in the back would be a nice feature. WE made ours out of clear plastic stair carpet protectors to protect area while hauling bikes. Leather is well worth the extra cost and the seat warmers are the bomb. Gas milage is the only thing that I am unhappy with and the only reason we will be selling our minivan. This is my 2nd one."

CHANGED MY LIFE with my kids

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"yes, very strong statement I know! However, it IS true. i have 3 boys under 5 and its very hard for me to get all the boys out and around town, in fact I tended to NOT go out as much because of the hassle of loading up my kids in the big SUV, hoisting them up in the car seats, hauling all the bags and etc up and into the car and then lifting myself WAY up to the drivers seat I finally saw the light: at the grocery store I saw this mom with 3 kids reach with her hand and ZAP ZING, the side of her mini van opened right up. She was able to put all the kids in and then close the door, then ZING ZAPPY ZONG opens up the hatch automatically to load the groceries she then goes to the PASSENGER door, shuts it and WALKS while hunched yet WALKS between the two front seats and WALKS to the captain chairs and buckles in children and then walks to back row etc I was hooked, here I was sitting in my stupid, huge, flashy , SUV that made my life very difficult and here she was having a much easier time we spend so much money and time on trying to make life easier, I cannot fathom not getting this totally decked out minivan to help with your life I go out all the time, everything is truly effortless, the kids love it, I just cannot say enough about this car this silly MINIVAN that actually is the most comfortable car I have ever driven, and I have had some serious luxury cars between me and the husband I will never own another SUV or make/model, this is the most well built, luxurious, decked out for hte price car we have ever bought I walked away from the suv after choking up the upside down fee, the gas savings ALONE save me $95 a WEEK a WEEK ridiculous! thanks"

Get what you pay for

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"We are just about to take delivery of our 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L + Navi + DVD after putting 60k miles on our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L. Why did I purchase the Odyssey? - Best crash rating (Toyota was a close second) - Excellent resale value (Dodge/Chrysler value drops like a brick!) - All new for 2005, and we loved the styling (did not even test drive the Nissan – yuck!) - The Odyssey was the only mini-van of the class that made the transition from car to van an easy one. (Toyota was a distant second as was the Dodge/Chrysler) - The best back for the buck (options/$) was the Honda Odyssey EX-L. Got ours for $27,500 out the door. - The Honda has technology that shuts off 3 cylinders of the car engine, which if you do a lot of highway driving (as we do), it is better on gas than any mini-van. Why are we purchasing an Odyssey again? - Had a good experience with the 2005. - New style/features for the 2008 (Toyota will not do an upgrade till 2010) - $1000 dealer cash + .9% for 36 months (Dodge had an unlimited power train, but the looks :- yuck!) - Sister needs to transition from car to van, and I wanted her to be in a safe, reliable car so I am selling her ours. - Stow and go in the second row is a novelty that we would never use. All of our storage is had by laying down the 3rd row seats. Also, in order to stow the seats the seats need to be a lot thinner. Thus for the few times you need to stow them, you have to deal the seats being less comfortable. Trust me, just pull the second row seats out the few times you need to."

Very Good Van

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I still think this is the best van on the road even though I have had some minor issues. We bought it with about 24K miles...We now have almost 40K and I hope to drive it until 200K. It is very comfortable with many creature comforts. We have two young boys and the features keep them comfortable and busy on trips. The mechanical problems we had were taken care of by the dealer under warranty (sure hope all issues are resolved now, not looking forward to paying dealership mechanic prices): power steering pump replaced (noisy), DVD entertainment system lost sound headphones (a wire came loose behind the dash), brakes replaced (they were grinding when heated, like at the end of a roadtrip - dealer said thay have seen this on quite a few). Only other complaint is that this vehicle is not good at all in bad weather, heavy rain or light snow. I am hoping new tires (a different brand) will be better...hopefully I can push that off until the end of this summer. I really wish the EX-L came with the auto headlamps and auto rear door..."

fairly content with purchase

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"We love Honda's because they have always been known for their performance and quality but after purchasing this Honda new with 0 miles on it, we were less than thrilled. The car looks great but has some minor areas that were not assembled well. Areas we didn't notice until after the purchase. We had the sliding doors repaired and the scratches they made repaired. The glove compartment did not close all the way and still does not line up correctly. The condensor/ac unit is located directly beneath the license plate holder and is not protected at all, therefore it is easily damaged by a rock or asphalt. We have replaced the condensor at our expense. This is a very, very common problem. Several hundred Odyssey owners have experienced the same issue. Honda will not cover this under the warranty, even though it's their poor design. We currently have the car in the shop because of brake problems and hopefully that will come under our original warranty. The steering is o.k. not as nice as my sisters Yukon. It does not turn easily. All in all, it drives well but I'm not as happy as I expected to be."

been a great van

By on Monday, July 11, 2016

"WAS A CARAVAN AND TOWN & COUNTRY MAN (90,94,99 and 2005) UNTIL A 2005 T&C PC OF JUNK ! I traded a 2005 t&c for a 2007 honda ody still looks and runs great . Been retired since 2005 ."

125,000 miles and going strong!

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"This is my second Honda Odyssey, and at 125,000 miles I am not ready to part with it yet but rather will pass it down to my teenager. Love the van, it's comfort, it's roominess and most of all it's reliability. I'd by a third but no longer need a mini-van for family needs."

Surprisingly Expensive

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "leather is good, ok acceleration"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain, even routine things."

"I am very disappointed in this vehicle. Almost from Day 1, we have had nothing but problems. Though I live in Arizona and we expect to replace batteries every 2 to 2 1/2 years, we have had to replace a batteries in this van every year we have had it. The brakes Honda uses on this van are organic pads that within the first 15,000 miles or so, cause the rotors to warp, thereby causing the steering wheel to vibrate when stopping from highway speeds. So, in addition to getting a brake job for about $250.00, you have to get the rotors re-surfaced for an additional $200 or so. At around 55,000 miles, the starter went out on the car and costs around $425.00. The latest thing is an actuator on the sliding door that the place wants about $800 to fix as well as $1200 to fix a bushing. All these extra repairs are in addition to the usual maintenance we do - i.e.- oil changes, transmission fluid changes, as well as fluid changes on things I never knew needed flushing, such as power steering and brake flush. Every time we take the car in, it seems like the repairs are $300 to $600 a visit."

Great vehicle for a family

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "more power than you would think, miserly on gas"

Cons: "a little tight for long legs"

"have owned this vehicle since it was new, and have absolutely no complaints. I'm 6'6", and it accommodates me well. I've never had a mechanical problem with it beyond normal wear."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pros: "Price, MPG, comfort, convience, looks"

Cons: "PAX from factory"

"Not had any complaints except the PAX system which we recently had removed and can now have standard tires placed next time We've also not had ANY transmission issues (unlike the reviews)"

The Best HONDA yet!!!!

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Clean, fun to drive, gr8 stereo and plenty of room"

"We purchased this Certified vehicle just over 5 years ago and all we've have to do was change the oil, replace the tires and fill it with gas. It has been the Best HONDA ever and we've had Hondas for the last 40 years or more for ourselves and our children. I like to due some maintenance on my vehicles but other than tire rotation and oil changes all I've been able to do is wash, wax and gas. I have changed the wipers and light bulbs I might add. We get 15 mpg around town, but we don't have but about 6 miles of paved roads on our little island so we can't wait to drive it one day on the interstate. All together other than my 1989 Acura that I accumulated more than 400K miles on before I gave it away, our Odyssey has been the BEST Vehicle EVER."

100,000 trouble free miles

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "Never let us down, hauls most anything"

Cons: "Road noise is pretty pronounced"

"Bought it new in December, '04. Ran the wheels off it for the first couple of years back and forth to north Idaho. Only issue was that pwr steering pump had to be replaced at about 25k. That was done under warranty because I'd squawked it earlier. (Local dealer's service dept is outstanding!) Handling is very good, especially for a big box front driver. Road noise is pronounced but its a big empty echo chamber. At 100k it still has original brakes and exhaust. Brakes squeak at low speeds but service people say there's still 60% lining."

Great Car-Comfort and Extreme reliability. Love it

By on Friday, December 14, 2012

Pros: "Does everything I need it to with kids and trips."

Cons: "Paint chips top front."

"Am buying another one-2012-very soon. Still runs great. Don't want to get rid of it, but my family wants to get me a new one. Need good home for it."

Best Mama Car Ever

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "reliable, comfortable for a large family"

Cons: "needs a USB port"

"I love my Honda Odessy. It's 5 years old and has 141,000 miles and I have had no issues with the car. Very reliable, great gas mileage, comfortable for our family of 5 that is always on the go. When we have a few extra kids or adults then we can still fit 8 people comfortably as well. I will be buying another Odessy for my next vehicle."

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Space, cup holders, drives like a car"

Cons: "No daytime driving lights and not automatic"

"I'm a female in my 40's and my "next car" after driving a big SUV for years was going to be my fast one, a Camaro, Charger or Mustang...until we started fostering children. We now have 4 children total, 3 of whom are under the age of 4 and you just can't fit 3 car seats into a traditional SUV even with a 3rd row seat. They'll fit but you can't reach far enough back to the 3rd row to buckle them in. We looked at Toyota and Nissan minivans and although they met our basic needs, the Odyssey gave me the look I wanted. I love the bodystyle and the 8 cup holders just in the front seat, not to mention all the extras in the back. We also love that the middle tray drops down to allow me to walk through to the back two seats. We remove the middle seat on the second row and I can walk through to get to all three of my little ones. I can even change the babies diaper in the middle walk way without ever having to open a door. This is great for long trips especially when I'm by myself or when it's raining out and I can't get the kids out of the car. It drives like a car...that was the first thing I told the salesperson. It has great get up and go and really makes me feel comfortable driving it. I even choose it over my husbands BMW when I go places by myself. I just love it!!"

very reliable

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pros: "great gas mileage,so much room,comfy seats"

Cons: "the Blind spot....even with extra mirror"

"I will probably always have an Odyssey. Very comfortable to drive. Great gas mileage and so much room. Love this van"

Best car ever

By on Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, smooth ride, efficient"

Cons: "Tires, after-factory installed blinds"

"I haven't had a better car and all the cars we have ever purchased have been new. This car's ride is smooth, comfortable and low noise."

Second Odyssey. Best of the van choices.

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "Superior quality, excellent ride and reliability"

Cons: "Somewhatt expensive initial cost."

"Have 117000miles on our 2005 Odyssey;. Still looks and rides like new. Comfortable with very high quality materials inside and out. Had a stone go through radiator at 50,000 miles. Honda fixed at no cost. Roomy with excellent acceleration, good brake performance, and superior handling. Compared to Chrysler cheapos, this is the van to buy."

Very reliable and easy to drive

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Value, reliability, easy to drive"

Cons: "Unprotected AC evaporator, mushy ride"

"Bought 2005 Honda Odyssey (1.5 yrs old, 20k mi) used from a local dealer. Got a good price on it. I've been buying Ford and GM vehicles all my life, felt guilty about not "Buying American" but I really got sick of all the repairs and the quick depreciation. I read a lot about Honda and their value and dependability, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Within a month I had to replace the AC evaporator. It wasn't under warranty because a rock bounced up and lodged in one of the coils. Wasn't pleased with this at all, but I had to deal with it. I learned that there is an aftermarket insert you can put behind the bottom part of the front grill to keep stones from kicking up. I put it on right away - haven't had a problem since. Other than that it's been tires and brakes. Very, very impressed with the reliability of this vehicle. It drives like a minivan, big and mushy, but that's ok. The fold-down seats in back give you a lot of hauling room. Overall, I'm pleased. I'd buy it again, given the chance."

Great functionality

By on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Everything about this van is quality. Storage, seating, functionality, etc. is well designed and well constructed. It's great for trips and hauling the kids around town. The performance is more than adequate with plenty of power and smooth handling. One of my only gripes is the transmission is a little harsh, but that is true for almost any Honda."

Best vehicle purchase to date

By on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Excellent vehicle, drove vehicle over 100,000 miles before needing to replace original front disc brakes. Very comfortable and easy to drive, vehicle handles like a sedan. V.6 has good power as well as good gas mileage. Still rolling on two of the original michelin tires. My best automobile investment."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Monday, April 5, 2010

"We have just purchased this car and love it. We went from a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer (seats 7) to this van. This is a HUGE difference! Getting the kids in and out is a breeze with automatic doors and the a passenger side captain chair that lets us choose a side or central aisle to the back. The entire family has room to stretch out, plus we have trunk space again! The Mountaineer barely fit the stroller, this has room for the stroller groceries and more! The ride is nice and the rear parking assist is great for getting used to this longer vehicle. The luxury features are similar to that on our Mountaineer. I hated the idea of a mini-van, but now love it! This car is built with large families in mind (we need all seven seats)."