2004 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 630 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Love this mommy-van

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I tried not to get "old" and buy a minivan. Then kids happened. And this "mommy-van", as I affectionately call it, has helped me immensely with dealing with what at home moms have to deal with. Plenty of cargo space, middle seats move and/or pull out, back seat folds down, "trunk" is extra-deep (perfect for keeping your Labrador Retriever out of your kids' laps while driving). The middle and back windows don't roll down in this year's model, but other than that, I have no complaints. Used to think I wanted the "stow-and-go" seating my sister's van has until I sat in those seats and realized they aren't close to as comfy as my middle & back seats. I have had this car for almost 5 years and haven't had any huge repair bills. I opted for the wrap-around warranty from the dealer I bought it from and couldn't be more pleased."

Best van

By on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Mine has 140K miles, and still runs great. It has been very dependable, however, it has been serviced regularly and basic maintenance done. It was also suggested that every third oil change have the transmission fluid drained and replaced and this will cause the transmission to remain in good order, so I've done that as well. No complaints from me or mine!"

Odyssey 1999

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"If you buy a used odyssey make sure that timing belt has been changed at 100,000 miles."

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"this van has been good but i would probvably not buy it again,we,ve had ours for over 3 years with no major problems but certain things really bother me like the power sliding doors are giving us problems and the traction control system stinks. our gas mileage has gotten worse over the years.i do like the cargo space in the trunk weve been able to get many things in the trunk.i dont like the service department the y always treat me like a dumb woman but maybe its just this particular dealer."

If you have to drive a miniVan ...

By on Friday, October 5, 2007

"We've put over 100,000 miles on our '02 EX-L model and have never regretted the purchase. One the surface, the only downside to this generation of Honda miniVan is road noise ... it's droaning on certain types of highway pavement. Changing tires helps ... we've settled on Yokahoma Grand Touring's all around. Much quieter. If buying used, make sure your potential '02 Odyssey has had its transmission replaced. Ours went bad at 75k and was replaced at no cost. Also, skip the Honda DVD player. Ours has gone bad at the repair / replacement cost varies from $1,000 ~ $2,500."

could be better

By on Friday, September 21, 2007

"I have owned many Honda's from an 85 accord, best Honda I ever owned 185K miles , to more recently a 2000 civic, cheap tin can, and this Odyssey with 90K miles, is not that great. Granted I am not a minivan fan, but $1000 timing belt replacement at 105K (that is not the "service" this is just to replace the belt!), and an emitions issue not covered to mention a few, as I was 1k miles over the coverage. I have never owned a Honda that drives consistantly smooth at highway speeds, and this Odyssey is the worst so far, I wonder if the recalled transmission should have been replaced rather than serviced, cheap car with cheap service support, and o yah the car was not cheap to buy!"

First Honda - best vehicle ever

By on Friday, January 4, 2013

Pros: "Quality and low cost to own"

Cons: "Road noise could be improved."

"Still driving on original shocks and muffler. Virtually cost free except for brake pads, gas & oil changes. It would be sinful not to replace with another Honda."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, built right, great family car"

Cons: "Pay the price up front"

"Bought the 2002 Odyssey new. Runs fine in 2012, going strong. Kept up all maintenance servicing, including major engine service at 100K. Handles great in city, pleasure on tour. No engine or transmission problems. Family of six from soccer to camping to 4x8's in the back, to cross country dorm--no problems. Highly dependable. Never an on-road problem. Wrote the book on fold down third seat. This car is a gem. Will continue to drive and maintain. Worth every penny. Minor problems: sticking sliding door, no light in glove compartment, tough to read dash clock, not all fan speeds work now, trifles really, given its age."

A Luxurious Workhorse!

By on Monday, July 9, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, very low maintenance"

"My faithful Odyssey has been "well-loved" to say the least. With 2 kids, 2 large dogs, and non-stop action, it has held up like a champ for over 160k miles. We have invested very little for maintenance, just the standard oil changes, tire replacements, brake repairs, etc. Only complaint is that the automatic sliding doors can sometimes get temperamental, but never had to have them in to the shop. I plan to drive my beloved Odyssey into it's grave...which at this rate may be another 160k miles."

Don't buy Odyssey

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"I have a 2000 and a 2005 The 2000's tranny just went bad (3rd one) I have had constant problems with the automatic doors and if I replace it that will make it the 4th one, RUN AWAY! The 2005 has had replacement AV system, power steering pump twice and door problems also. I am very dissapointed in Honda"

Transmission Problems

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Interior nice roomy comfortable"

Cons: "Transmission"

"As another person put as their review plagued with transmission problems. Honda would not replace the first one bad at 100,000, we replaced now this one bad at an additional 60,000. This make and model known for transmission issued, wish we had known that before we purchased. Other than that great van but will now purchase another one due to this"

AWESOME VALUE

By on Saturday, April 5, 2008

"I've owned this van 8 years & it has served me very well....on all accounts. I have 124,000 miles on it & expect to get another 150,000 from it. I've moved several times using it, used it as the "soccer mom" while my kids were growing up & now use it for my business with the huge cargo space in it. It seats 7 people comfortably, gets great gas mileage & is very reliable. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quality product. If it's been well maintained, it will be a great value."

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"Our Odyssey now has 206,000 miles on it and we have never had any trouble. Over the nine years we have owned it, we have loaded it up with our now three grown kids along with stuff on the roof and have driven from Maine to New Mexico, Canada to Florida and everywhere in between. Just change the oil, brakes when needed and tires. Still has original muffler, paint, and hardware. Still get 25 mpg on highway. Smooth riding, comfortable. We're keeping it and hoping to make 300,000 miles!!"

8 Years No Problems

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"This was our second Honda. We've had it 8 years and have never had any problems with it. We only have 45K miles on it and have not been rough on it. There are no rattles or trouble with the sliding doors. We had a parking lot collision which required the replacement of one sliding door; it's slightly harder to close that the original now. Over all a great van. Note that some people have had transmission problems with this vehicle. My sister and nephew both have with their 2001 and 2002 Odysseys. Dealers have replaced them free over 100K miles. The third row seat is heavy and hard to lift and lower, but it DOES lift and lower, which other vans didn't do in model year 2000."

Great Family Minivan

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Has met or exceeded all of our expectations. We have had no mechanical problems and it is a very reliable car. Only thing that could use improvement is the interior noise level and the seats are not as comfortable on long trips. Overall, a great vehicle. Would highly recommend."

Great Minivan

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"My wife mainly drives our 2002 Odyssey EX and she loves it. We bought it new in Apr 2002 and have logged slightly more 100K miles on it so far without any mechanical problems. My wife loves the ride and the fact that she sits up taller than in her previous car (Honda Accord) and can see the surrounding traffic better. This is our fifth Honda vehicle, and it won't be our last!"

Great family vehicle

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"This vehicle is very good for families. The inside is spacious with fold into the floor rear seat that provides lots of room for cargo. The only complaint I have is the ride to me is a little rough. One of the roughest vehicles I have ever driven."

A great family vehicle...

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"We bought one of the first 1999 Odysseys off the line back in 1999. Overall, we have been very pleased with it. It rides great, has plenty of room, and decent highway gas mileage. My wife doesn't want to get rid of it now, but she needs something a little smaller. If you find a used one in good condition (check out the transmission!) at a reasonable price, then jump on it!"

Only Way to Go

By on Sunday, July 8, 2007

"The best choice for a mid-sized or larger family. We were disappointed when the transmission failed at about 60K, but it was replaced under warranty, and almost everything's been great ever since. Surprising fun to drive."

Dependable, easy to drive, great minivan

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Smooth drive, comfortable, reliable"

"We've owned this van for over 10 years and it has been terrific. It's great for carpooling groups of kids to and from soccer, family vacations, moves, and general day to day commuting. The transmission was replaced (under warranty) at 99,980 miles. It's cost us very little to operate this van over the years. The second row seats are just as roomy as the front row seats, so comfortable for adults as well as children. The fold and stow back row makes hauling items easy. This van has great visibility, especially for short drivers like myself."

a great and safe family vehicle

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "handles well, comfortable seats"

Cons: "poor designed cup holders"

"When we look for a vehicle, safety is the number one item on our “want list” (the Honda Odyssey is rated as one of the safest minivans). We also want a vehicle that handles hills. Where we live, one must travel over mountain passes in any direction we go. Therefore we needed a vehicle with power. With its V6 VTEC, 3.5 Liter engine, it scoots up the mountain passes with ease (it also has 4-wheel ABS). Because we travel as a family a lot, we wanted comfort. The four bucket seats (Quad Seating) gives the passengers great travel comfort, even the back bench seat which holds three has ample leg space for the average adult. The Honda Odyssey EX minivan fits all those needs."

This is the best auto I have ever owned (My age 82

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "Handling, perfromance, driving comfort, reliable"

Cons: "Road noise"

"During my life I have owned Chevrolets (10), Fords (7), BMW's (2), Jaguars (1)Oldsmobiles (1), Porches (1)and Volkswagons (1). This Odyssey is by far the finest of the lot. It has done everything I have asked of it and done it exceptionally well. Other than scheduled maintenance, repair costs have been extremely low -- cruise control at 160,000 miles."

I have loved this vehicle!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Few repairs, lots of space, comfortable seating"

"Our Odyssey has taken us cross-country several times, sometimes towing a large pop-up and loaded down with family and camping gear. We have put 250,000 miles on it but had little repair expense. It is only now starting to show it's age and the transmission is getting worn, but still runs well overall. We live rurally and sometimes used it like a pickup truck we were able to put so much inside with the chairs folded down in back and/or removed in the middle. This vehicle has been wonderful for our family of 5 and a dog. It got excellent fuel economy on the highway and handled snowy, slippery weather well."

Expensive to repair, thin body pannels

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "Big interior"

Cons: "very expensive to repair and maintain"

"Our Odyssey mini van was high end expensive to buy and had lots of expensive repairs. The side doors always had problems opening during cold weather. Honda tried to fix them but gave up after three years of trying. The front end alignment never would stay straight. It wore out a lot of tires. The motor mounts broke and there were no after market replacements so we had to replace them with new Honda mounts. Those broke again. The AC failed and nearly killed the whole motor. There were lots of other repairs on the motor. The body panels are so thin you can dent them with your bare hand. The whole car looks like a golf ball now. The spare tire is nearly impossible to get out of it's hiding place. We paid dearly for all the regular maintenance but still ended up with a piece of junk after 150,000 miles that no one wants to buy."

Pretty good overall

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Overall, we like our 2002 Odyssey. However, there have been electrical problems from early on. The battery drains to dead every week if not driven consistently or kept on a charger. Occasionally, the alarm sounds by itself and will not shut off until the fuse is pulled. When the van is not acting up, it's a pretty nice vehicle. The mileage is good for a van (18-25 mpg pending on the season and cty vs hwy driving). The ride is comfortable and the interior is spacious. Just wish we wouldn't have gotten one with electrical problems. My next vehicle will be a Toyota."