2002 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 628 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

OWNED 10.5 YEARS

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

"Bought new in 02 and have not any major issues with the van. Gas mileage 20 in town, 25+ on the road. Great value for the money. Can haul lot's of stuff if you remove second row seats. Have not had any issues with transmission. Negative's: clock light goes out and costs about 60.00 to replace. Motor for rear quarter windows went out, cost about 200 to replace each. Not as quiet as a Toyota. Cost little under 25K when new now work about $6000. For some reason the same year Accord is worth more, but cost less."

Best minivan on the market.

By on Monday, July 9, 2012

Pros: "Everything about this car is a pro."

Cons: "No automatic back door"

"Had this vehicle 9 years, drove over 135,000 miles. With proper maintenance I have never had a mechcanical breakdown. This car still runs as if it is new. I am not afraid to go anywhere with it. I would recommend this car to anyone with a family who wants a dependable vehicle that is going to last a long time. Just remember, proper maintenance is the key."

Far too many Transmission issues!

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Stylish, very roomy, lots of great features and drives great."

Cons: "Far too many transmission repair issues to be worth the high price tag."

"The van itself is a great van, it handles great and is very comfortable and roomy for a nice growing family which is where I was when I purchased it in 2002. In fact, in my area there was such a demand for this vehicle at this time that some dealers had wait lists. I was happy with my purchase, initially. Then a couple of years later, around 36K miles on a family road trip to Yosemite the transmission completely gave out. The dealer where I had to get the vehicle towed installed a used transmission with about 6K miles on it from another Odyssey. This one cost me about $1000 and it lasted a bit longer, but when the vehicle reached about 130K miles, it, too, gave out. $4000 later, the transmission which was rebuilt and repaired, lasted for little over 1 year. Just long enough for the warranty to expire on it. So here I am again in need of another transmission and I'm done spending my hard earned money to get this fixed. I purchased this van with the intention of keeping it indefinitely, and am a firm believer that it's more economical to fix a car than to go out and purchase a brand new one. I do NOT recommend this van to anyone. In fact, I recently went into a Honda dealership to test drive the new and improved Odyssey and when I asked if the transmission problems that had plagued the Odyssey in the past had been resolved, they weren't able to give me any kind of straight answer, so I walked away.....FAR AWAY! Which is what I suggest anyone looking to buy a mini-van do from the Honda Odyssey."

An Odyssey into repair land

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"We bought our used 2001 Odyssey after our first child was born in 2003. It was reportedly one of the safest minivans on the market and we felt good about the purchase. Within the first year at about 90k miles, the tranny went out and the dealership replaced it. Two years and 40k later, the replacement tranny went out, this time we had to replace it. After only 21k miles on this tranny, it goes out and the dealership agreed to replace it but we had to pay the labor cost which was about $750.00. We did so and sold the van immediately after. We replaced this unreliable vehicle with a Lexus GS400 and have never looked back. If you are looking for reliability, stay away from this vehicle or you will be very,very sorry!"

Questional Reliability for a Honda

By on Monday, December 8, 2008

"I purchased my '03 Odyssey with 110,000 miles. The motor has had a faulty EGR valve issue and Honda didn't seem to learn from the transmission problems they had with the 1999-2001 models. I've had to rebuild my transmission at 136,00 even after they performed the recall that was supposed to "fix" the cooling issues they have with the five speed transmissions. The van in general is noisy and the stereo is weak. My previous vehicle was an Audi A6 and I have spent just has much on repairs for Honda reliability as I did for German ingenuity:l. This vehicle is my eighth Honda and the most disappointing."

Good Van

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"At nine years this van is just starting to show its' age and we keep it outside. Plus: Rides like a car. Carries seven comfortably. Last two rows of seets stow or are removable. Carries a lot of things. Neg: Had to replace breaks because honda couldn't get rid of the squeal. Transmission just started acting up. Check engine light comes on for no good reason."

The Good & The Bad

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Honda has a great reputation, and the Odyssey has lots of great things going for it. Roomy, comfortable, good power, good looking. A good ergonomic design and very good on long trips. However, this vehicle also has a few major defects that end up costing a bunch. The sliding doors and the transmission on this particular car were both repaired or replaced under warranty. But soon after the warranty expired, both items again needed big $ repairs. Many owners have reported the same problems. I would recommend a newer Odyssey, but stay away from the early decade version."

Everything great but the TRANSMISSION

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room. Engine is reliable."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Failure prone transmission."

"We bought this car new in 2001 and have always serviced it per the factory recommendations. In 2007 the original transmission failed at 70,000 miles. Honda replaced it under an extended warranty. 6 years later, the second transmission failed, again after ~70,000 miles. I can't believe that Honda thinks 70,000 miles is a reasonable expectation for a transmission. Judging by the volume of people complaining online, this appears to be a design flaw that should have resulted in a recall."

Good Van but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Good looks Comfortable Good mileage on the fwy"

Cons: "lots of road noise VERY BAD TRANSMISSION"

"I bought this brand new in 03 runs good comfortable inside runs good looked good but has a lot of road noise and very bad transmission I would not recommend buying this van used because of transmission problem. In 2003 Honda had a recall on this problem because prior models where braking down within 2 to 3 years I know at least 5 people who had the same problem but the recall they had in 03 for the newer models was just a temporary fix where they installed some jet thing to give 2nd or 3rd gear extra lube so that the trany would last past the warranty thats why the trany on mine went out at 120000 miles. Replacement transmissions wont have the recall fix that Honda did in 03 so the replacement transmission wont last long maybe 2 to 3 years just like the prior models so if anyone is buying this van used or replacing the transmission make sure you get WARRANTY on the new transmission!!!( I have a friend that had to replace the transmission on his 4 times by the dealer )"

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."