2002 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 613 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Great family vehicle

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"This vehicle is very good for families. The inside is spacious with fold into the floor rear seat that provides lots of room for cargo. The only complaint I have is the ride to me is a little rough. One of the roughest vehicles I have ever driven."

A great family vehicle...

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"We bought one of the first 1999 Odysseys off the line back in 1999. Overall, we have been very pleased with it. It rides great, has plenty of room, and decent highway gas mileage. My wife doesn't want to get rid of it now, but she needs something a little smaller. If you find a used one in good condition (check out the transmission!) at a reasonable price, then jump on it!"

Only Way to Go

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"The best choice for a mid-sized or larger family. We were disappointed when the transmission failed at about 60K, but it was replaced under warranty, and almost everything's been great ever since. Surprising fun to drive."

Dependable, easy to drive, great minivan

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Smooth drive, comfortable, reliable"

"We've owned this van for over 10 years and it has been terrific. It's great for carpooling groups of kids to and from soccer, family vacations, moves, and general day to day commuting. The transmission was replaced (under warranty) at 99,980 miles. It's cost us very little to operate this van over the years. The second row seats are just as roomy as the front row seats, so comfortable for adults as well as children. The fold and stow back row makes hauling items easy. This van has great visibility, especially for short drivers like myself."

a great and safe family vehicle

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "handles well, comfortable seats"

Cons: "poor designed cup holders"

"When we look for a vehicle, safety is the number one item on our “want list” (the Honda Odyssey is rated as one of the safest minivans). We also want a vehicle that handles hills. Where we live, one must travel over mountain passes in any direction we go. Therefore we needed a vehicle with power. With its V6 VTEC, 3.5 Liter engine, it scoots up the mountain passes with ease (it also has 4-wheel ABS). Because we travel as a family a lot, we wanted comfort. The four bucket seats (Quad Seating) gives the passengers great travel comfort, even the back bench seat which holds three has ample leg space for the average adult. The Honda Odyssey EX minivan fits all those needs."

This is the best auto I have ever owned (My age 82

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Handling, perfromance, driving comfort, reliable"

Cons: "Road noise"

"During my life I have owned Chevrolets (10), Fords (7), BMW's (2), Jaguars (1)Oldsmobiles (1), Porches (1)and Volkswagons (1). This Odyssey is by far the finest of the lot. It has done everything I have asked of it and done it exceptionally well. Other than scheduled maintenance, repair costs have been extremely low -- cruise control at 160,000 miles."

I have loved this vehicle!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Few repairs, lots of space, comfortable seating"

"Our Odyssey has taken us cross-country several times, sometimes towing a large pop-up and loaded down with family and camping gear. We have put 250,000 miles on it but had little repair expense. It is only now starting to show it's age and the transmission is getting worn, but still runs well overall. We live rurally and sometimes used it like a pickup truck we were able to put so much inside with the chairs folded down in back and/or removed in the middle. This vehicle has been wonderful for our family of 5 and a dog. It got excellent fuel economy on the highway and handled snowy, slippery weather well."

Expensive to repair, thin body pannels

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "Big interior"

Cons: "very expensive to repair and maintain"

"Our Odyssey mini van was high end expensive to buy and had lots of expensive repairs. The side doors always had problems opening during cold weather. Honda tried to fix them but gave up after three years of trying. The front end alignment never would stay straight. It wore out a lot of tires. The motor mounts broke and there were no after market replacements so we had to replace them with new Honda mounts. Those broke again. The AC failed and nearly killed the whole motor. There were lots of other repairs on the motor. The body panels are so thin you can dent them with your bare hand. The whole car looks like a golf ball now. The spare tire is nearly impossible to get out of it's hiding place. We paid dearly for all the regular maintenance but still ended up with a piece of junk after 150,000 miles that no one wants to buy."

Pretty good overall

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Overall, we like our 2002 Odyssey. However, there have been electrical problems from early on. The battery drains to dead every week if not driven consistently or kept on a charger. Occasionally, the alarm sounds by itself and will not shut off until the fuse is pulled. When the van is not acting up, it's a pretty nice vehicle. The mileage is good for a van (18-25 mpg pending on the season and cty vs hwy driving). The ride is comfortable and the interior is spacious. Just wish we wouldn't have gotten one with electrical problems. My next vehicle will be a Toyota."

I got a Lemon

By on Friday, February 08, 2008

"The engine is excellent but the body is worse than a tin-can. The rear sliding doors are totally un-reliable, sometimes they slide open and sometimes they are totally stuck and needs to be opened with a kick from the inside of the car. No Good... Bombers are non-existing and the car can not take just the slightest little hit front or back with-out terrible consequences to the so called bomber."

It's over seven years old now

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"Bought it new. No problems with it whatsover except it needed a NEW transmission at 127000 which Honda covered under "Goodwill" warranty at no cost to us. (This forces us to buy a new Honda the next go around, so the "Goodwill" worked to psychologically bind us to Honda for a long long time. How do I escape the grip of this POWERFUL and INESCAPABLE dark force?) Door slide needed new rollers about the same time. I did it myself, cost less than hundred buck BECAUSE I couldn't get it to the dealer because the door wouldn't close. The front discs wear out about 5 times faster than our CR-V. Maybe because of the heft of the vehicle? Timing belt was replaced at 100000 to preempt nasties happening to the valves, and so far it's worked. I would buy a new Odyssey in a heartbeat, except we may go to a PILOT if a 4WD Odyssey does not come out our next new car go-around. The van has been such a good car that we missed our normal "new car" purchase schedule. KBB says it's still worth about 6000 bucks PRIVATE for a van in fair shape, which is excellent value considering I paid around 24000 plus tax in 2000. What is amazing however is that we have a 2000 CR-V, which I think is even a BETTER vehicle than the Odyssey... actually MUCH better... amazing considering how good the Odyssey is. The Odyssey was our first Honda vehicle. (3rd if you include lawnmower and dune buggy). Recommended."

Sporty and Reliable Minivan!

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"We bought a new 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L and it has served us very well for the past 4 years. We previously had owned a Toyota 4Runner and a Toyota Previa (both outstanding vehicles), but we were not willing to pay the premium for the new Toyota Sienna (they wanted about $5K more for a van similar to the Odyssey). While industry seems to be shying away from these practical family movers, we will probably always own one. We've based owr automobile purchases from Consumer Reports magazine and friends/family. We would love to buy American cars, but at $30K+, I don't want to take a chance on reliability and resale value."

Transmission Problem

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"Honda has an ongoing transmission problem with their Odyssey's. Mine is shot at 120,000"

A GREAT VEHICLE

By on Monday, August 06, 2007

"MY FIRST HONDA, BUT CERTAINLY NOT MY LAST. I HAVE HAD 108,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES WITH IT, AND HAVE HAD GREAT DEALER SERVICE THE ENTIRE TIME. MY WIFE DROPS THE VAN OFF FOR REGULAR SCHEDULED SERVICE, AND THINKS THE DEALER SERVICE DEPT IS TERRIFIC. THE VAN IS COMFORTABLE, VERY FLEXIBLE IN WHAT IT CAN HAUL, PEOPLE OR STUFF-AS FAR AS STYLING GOES, IT IS A BIG BOX, NOTHING REALLY MORE. PERFORMANCE IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE, MILEAGE HAS BEEN 22-26 DEPENDING ON HOW HARD IT IS DRIVEN. HONDA QUALITY IS SUPERB, AND FIT AND FINISH ARE TOP NOTCH. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, IT IS BEST TO MAINTAIN IT ACCORDING TO THE HONDA SCHEDULE. I WOULD GUESS THAT IT WILL BE GOOD FOR AT LEAST 200 THOUSAND MILES, PROBABLY MORE. A REALLY WONDERFUL VAN."

Good Family Vehicle

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"This van has performed well for my family. Only problems we've had are the power/cigarette lighter coming out of the socket ($40 to fix), two plastic pieces from under the front driver seat coming off (haven't figured out yet how to put them back on) and the radio controls on the steering wheel not always functioning like intended (volume button sometimes changes the station; station changing button sometimes changes the volume; sometimes buttons work perfectly ( not a big problem)) The van is very roomy and comfortable for trips. We did two trips of four hours each, with 5 adults and 2 children, luggage and other necessities, and had enough space to enjoy the rides."

Best car I have ever owned, not a single repair

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "A little road noise compared to my caddy"

"Just regular maintenance, oil change, transmission flush, battery,a/c flush"

Bad paint. I assume transmission is next problem

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "Good power. Great Hauling. Good for family"

Cons: "some blind sports. Paint. Electrical system"

"Paint peeled--new non-lead paint. Partially covered by Honda. Second peel not covered and dealer was indifferent."

Old Reliable!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

"My van has been a very reliable vehicle! I love being able to go to estate sales knowing I can virtually haul anything home. It was great for carpooling when our children were younger, too. The sound system is great, as is the heating/ac. My family complains about me driving a car this old (2001), BUT they are quick to borrow it to go downtown where more upscale cars are greater targets for auto thieves....I mean, who wants a 13-year old Mom van? The electronic locks are messed up, but I've been told by other Honda owners that this is a common Honda problem. I know how to deal with it, so don't plan on spending the money to have them fixed. Basically, my van is so old I never worry about it getting stolen, or hit. It's so reliable that I hate to give it up. It's like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

A Practical, FUN, Reliable Van: No Problems

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cons: "centers pace could provide add'l storage."

"I LOVE this van. It is easy to drive, never lets me down, zips in and out of places, has comfortable seating, everything works in it! The local dealer is competent, responsive, tells me in advance what to expect to enable me to budget. To date, I have not had a major problem. I get it serviced according to schedule; replacing brake pads, rotating tires, getting oil changes, replacing fluids."

Best vehicle I've owned!

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, gas mileage & roomy."

Cons: "Need more lumbar adjustments-both seats."

"It's still running great with 205,860 miles on it. Bought it from a private party nearly 4 years ago. They drove it to Florida. I make sure the oil is changed regular, gone through a couple sets of tires, and replaced the battery this year. The front struts need to be replaced soon. If I don't use the air conditioner and drive with windows open in perfect weather conditions, I have gotten 26 mpg on the highway. Otherwise, it averages 21-22 mpg on highway, and 20 mpg for city driving, or if air conditioner is used. A couple things I have against it is that it's not as comfortable as my Acura with the lumbar heated seats and I have to set the sliding seats to the off position so I don't accidentally open the doors with the remote when I put it in my purse. Roomy enough to haul lumber, move households, or use it for long trips and towed a trailer loaded down when I moved. Love this van. I think this van has many miles left in it. A great van over all."

First Honda - best vehicle ever

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Quality and low cost to own"

Cons: "Road noise could be improved."

"Still driving on original shocks and muffler. Virtually cost free except for brake pads, gas & oil changes. It would be sinful not to replace with another Honda."

Odyssey

By on Sunday, November 18, 2012

"I truly love mine . It is the best one i have had since my Nissan quest . I would recommend it highly ."

2008 Odyssey

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"My 2000 Honda Odyssey has been very reliable. It currently has 205,000 miles on it. We had to replace the front brake rotors and right rear hub assembly around 150,000. The material on the rear doors and third seat side panels has came off. The sliding rear doors freeze shut in the winter. The stow and go 3rd row seat is very handy."

Can't wait to trade it in

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

Pros: "Strong engine, roomy, safety"

Cons: "Noisy, rough ride, unreliable trans, costly repair"

"I bought this car brand new on recommendation from my sister. I have always manintained my vehicle as scheduled. I have been unhappy with aspects of the van from the beginning; bumpy ride, NOISY, window motors unreliable and costly to replace, burned through three transmissions already. The car lugs when you are in between gears, does not shift smoothly and has not since day one. On the plus side I do feel the engine has been reliable and the car is safe. However, the cons outweigh the pros. Never again for me. Going for a Toyota next time around."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Second one I have owned and would buy a third. Dependable, solid on the road and plenty of pep if not towing."