2002 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 619 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."

Everything great but the TRANSMISSION

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room. Engine is reliable."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Failure prone transmission."

"We bought this car new in 2001 and have always serviced it per the factory recommendations. In 2007 the original transmission failed at 70,000 miles. Honda replaced it under an extended warranty. 6 years later, the second transmission failed, again after ~70,000 miles. I can't believe that Honda thinks 70,000 miles is a reasonable expectation for a transmission. Judging by the volume of people complaining online, this appears to be a design flaw that should have resulted in a recall."

be cautious when purchasing,transmission dont last

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "roomy, comfortable to drive, quality interior"

Cons: "transmissions don't hold up to the Honda name"

"the vehicle itself is very roomy and comfortable to drive, no problems with the engine, always runs great and is very reliable. The problem is the transmission. I bought ours with 27,000 miles on it, always serviced and maintained the fluids as required for severe service in AZ. Trans went out at 83,000 miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt trans and now it is going out again at 125,000 miles. Another replacement is about $3800.00. After doing internet research, the Honda Odessey's (among other Honda models) are plagued with trans problems and they have had them since the 2000 models. I don't expect them to last forever, but they should last at least 150,000 miles as I have seen a lot of domestic trans last. I am an ASE certified Master Tech in auto and med and heavy duty trucks and I know how important it is to maintain a vehicle. I would not buy another Honda, I would go broke buying transmissions every 80,000 miles. Do your research before purchasing this brand !!"

Good Van but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Good looks Comfortable Good mileage on the fwy"

Cons: "lots of road noise VERY BAD TRANSMISSION"

"I bought this brand new in 03 runs good comfortable inside runs good looked good but has a lot of road noise and very bad transmission I would not recommend buying this van used because of transmission problem. In 2003 Honda had a recall on this problem because prior models where braking down within 2 to 3 years I know at least 5 people who had the same problem but the recall they had in 03 for the newer models was just a temporary fix where they installed some jet thing to give 2nd or 3rd gear extra lube so that the trany would last past the warranty thats why the trany on mine went out at 120000 miles. Replacement transmissions wont have the recall fix that Honda did in 03 so the replacement transmission wont last long maybe 2 to 3 years just like the prior models so if anyone is buying this van used or replacing the transmission make sure you get WARRANTY on the new transmission!!!( I have a friend that had to replace the transmission on his 4 times by the dealer )"

Overall ok, but quality is mediocre at best

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, great for kids"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

"We have been overall pleased with this vehicle. It is comfortable to drive and reliable. We have had our two children through car seats, boosters, etc and always found it very accessible and roomy. We have been meticulous with the maintenance, so I was very surprised to find that somewhere around 100k miles the transmission started to show signs of failure. We have been driving it in its degraded stated for a while since Honda gave us an estimate of ~ $6000 to fix the problem. I have read about numerous transmission problems with this model. Even with the transmission trouble it has been reliable - have never been stranded."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "More expensive that some other vans, but well worth it. Hulls almost anything in comfort"

Cons: "Somewhat costly to maintain, but haven't had to do much in almost 100,000 miles"

"Very roomy, comfortable seats, strong engine, low maintenance needs, good visibility, reasonable gas mileage. Exterior still looks nearly new."

Love this mommy-van

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I tried not to get "old" and buy a minivan. Then kids happened. And this "mommy-van", as I affectionately call it, has helped me immensely with dealing with what at home moms have to deal with. Plenty of cargo space, middle seats move and/or pull out, back seat folds down, "trunk" is extra-deep (perfect for keeping your Labrador Retriever out of your kids' laps while driving). The middle and back windows don't roll down in this year's model, but other than that, I have no complaints. Used to think I wanted the "stow-and-go" seating my sister's van has until I sat in those seats and realized they aren't close to as comfy as my middle & back seats. I have had this car for almost 5 years and haven't had any huge repair bills. I opted for the wrap-around warranty from the dealer I bought it from and couldn't be more pleased."

Odyssey 1999

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"If you buy a used odyssey make sure that timing belt has been changed at 100,000 miles."

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"this van has been good but i would probvably not buy it again,we,ve had ours for over 3 years with no major problems but certain things really bother me like the power sliding doors are giving us problems and the traction control system stinks. our gas mileage has gotten worse over the years.i do like the cargo space in the trunk weve been able to get many things in the trunk.i dont like the service department the y always treat me like a dumb woman but maybe its just this particular dealer."

If you have to drive a miniVan ...

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"We've put over 100,000 miles on our '02 EX-L model and have never regretted the purchase. One the surface, the only downside to this generation of Honda miniVan is road noise ... it's droaning on certain types of highway pavement. Changing tires helps ... we've settled on Yokahoma Grand Touring's all around. Much quieter. If buying used, make sure your potential '02 Odyssey has had its transmission replaced. Ours went bad at 75k and was replaced at no cost. Also, skip the Honda DVD player. Ours has gone bad at the repair / replacement cost varies from $1,000 ~ $2,500."