2001 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 621 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."

Everything great but the TRANSMISSION

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room. Engine is reliable."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Failure prone transmission."

"We bought this car new in 2001 and have always serviced it per the factory recommendations. In 2007 the original transmission failed at 70,000 miles. Honda replaced it under an extended warranty. 6 years later, the second transmission failed, again after ~70,000 miles. I can't believe that Honda thinks 70,000 miles is a reasonable expectation for a transmission. Judging by the volume of people complaining online, this appears to be a design flaw that should have resulted in a recall."

Great car except for all of the transmissions...

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Drives well for a minivan, interior flexibility"

Cons: "Transmissions only last 25-50K miles."

"I have a 2001 Odyssey sitting dead in my driveway. It used to drive well, handled very well for a minivan, and was reliable, except for the transmissions. It needed transmission work at 32,000 miles, and had transmissions replaced at 34,000, 59,000, 113,000 miles, and the FOURTH transmission in the car has failed at 150,000 miles. This car has gone through four transmissions and has had one additional transmission repair. The original transmission lasted 34,000 miles, the replacements have lasted between 25-54,000 miles. Therefore, a used Odyssey would be a real risk, I would think. There are suggestions that the replacement transmissions are failing because Honda reuses the housings which are either too flexible or are misaligned, leading to premature failure in the rebuilds as well. So when Honda "fixes" a car, it is really replacing a defective transmission with another defective one. According to NHTSA, for 2001, Odysseys have about 25 times the rate of transmission complaints as Toyota Siennas. I bought a Honda and not a Chrysler precisely because Chrysler transmissions were supposed to fail early. The rate of complaints to NHTSA for 2001 Odysseys is five times that for Chrysler. Ironic. All of my maintenance has been by the book, all fluids have been Honda, I do not drive any harsher than "normal." Honda disclaims any responsibility for the problem."

be cautious when purchasing,transmission dont last

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "roomy, comfortable to drive, quality interior"

Cons: "transmissions don't hold up to the Honda name"

"the vehicle itself is very roomy and comfortable to drive, no problems with the engine, always runs great and is very reliable. The problem is the transmission. I bought ours with 27,000 miles on it, always serviced and maintained the fluids as required for severe service in AZ. Trans went out at 83,000 miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt trans and now it is going out again at 125,000 miles. Another replacement is about $3800.00. After doing internet research, the Honda Odessey's (among other Honda models) are plagued with trans problems and they have had them since the 2000 models. I don't expect them to last forever, but they should last at least 150,000 miles as I have seen a lot of domestic trans last. I am an ASE certified Master Tech in auto and med and heavy duty trucks and I know how important it is to maintain a vehicle. I would not buy another Honda, I would go broke buying transmissions every 80,000 miles. Do your research before purchasing this brand !!"

Overall ok, but quality is mediocre at best

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, great for kids"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

"We have been overall pleased with this vehicle. It is comfortable to drive and reliable. We have had our two children through car seats, boosters, etc and always found it very accessible and roomy. We have been meticulous with the maintenance, so I was very surprised to find that somewhere around 100k miles the transmission started to show signs of failure. We have been driving it in its degraded stated for a while since Honda gave us an estimate of ~ $6000 to fix the problem. I have read about numerous transmission problems with this model. Even with the transmission trouble it has been reliable - have never been stranded."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "More expensive that some other vans, but well worth it. Hulls almost anything in comfort"

Cons: "Somewhat costly to maintain, but haven't had to do much in almost 100,000 miles"

"Very roomy, comfortable seats, strong engine, low maintenance needs, good visibility, reasonable gas mileage. Exterior still looks nearly new."

Buy a 2004 or newer for fewer headaches

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"The 1999 had known transmission issues, so do your research to fully understand all the transmission issues and make sure they have been addressed in the vehicle maintenance history. The vehicle also has an oil port that can be easiily clogged. Honda has a technical note on this as well. Make sure this modification was performed before purchasing any used vehicle. The VTEC system also tends to fail on older vehicles. A screen on the VTEC solenoid gets clogged and VTEC sensor does not see the appropriate oil pressure. It shuts down the VTEC and will not allow the car to run over 2000 RPM similiar to a limp home mode. This usually occurs because people let the oil get low or dirty. Changing the oil and reseting the computer usually takes care of the problem. Overall the honda has been pretty reliable and the only major maintenace was the replace of the alternator and belt. It is due for a timing belt. Make sure this service was done if you are considering purchasing any van with over 90,000 miles. If this minivan had a better more reliable transmission I would drive it anywhere and recommend the vehicle . highly. The issue was addressed in 2004 and later vehicles, so do yourself a favor if you are looking at a used honda odessey and buy a 2004 or newer vehicle."

Love this mommy-van

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I tried not to get "old" and buy a minivan. Then kids happened. And this "mommy-van", as I affectionately call it, has helped me immensely with dealing with what at home moms have to deal with. Plenty of cargo space, middle seats move and/or pull out, back seat folds down, "trunk" is extra-deep (perfect for keeping your Labrador Retriever out of your kids' laps while driving). The middle and back windows don't roll down in this year's model, but other than that, I have no complaints. Used to think I wanted the "stow-and-go" seating my sister's van has until I sat in those seats and realized they aren't close to as comfy as my middle & back seats. I have had this car for almost 5 years and haven't had any huge repair bills. I opted for the wrap-around warranty from the dealer I bought it from and couldn't be more pleased."

Odyssey 1999

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"If you buy a used odyssey make sure that timing belt has been changed at 100,000 miles."

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"this van has been good but i would probvably not buy it again,we,ve had ours for over 3 years with no major problems but certain things really bother me like the power sliding doors are giving us problems and the traction control system stinks. our gas mileage has gotten worse over the years.i do like the cargo space in the trunk weve been able to get many things in the trunk.i dont like the service department the y always treat me like a dumb woman but maybe its just this particular dealer."