2001 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 621 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Honda doesn't stand behind this transmission

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "3k for a new transmission"

"I bought and have recommended Honda to many many others based on the assumption that they have a good reputation for building a quality product. The bottom line is that there is a known issue with the transmission on this vehicle and they aren't standing behind it. I paid a premium for this vehicle with the assumption that I would not have major issues for an extended period of time and I was wrong. I know that all cars will have issues, but if there is a known defect, stand behind your workmanship, fix it and customers will remember that when they go to buy a new vehicle. All I remember now is that they hung me out to dry with a $3000 transmission bill and the nagging thought that the new one may not last very long either. Besides the lack of Honda to stand behind their defective transmission, I enjoyed driving the Odyssey and it had no other major issues. It is very roomy, fun to drive and had no other major quirks. I would have continued to buy and recommend Honda's, but I can't. Sorry...You lost a good long term customer."

Great minivan! Very dependable with one exception.

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Great family vehicle. Very good interior."

Cons: "Transmission troubles."

"After 200,000 miles I can say that this is one of the most dependable vehicles I have ever owned with one exception. The transmission was replaced just before 100,000 miles under warranty. Honda has a bit of history with transmission troubles in this era. Having said that, almost every other major system is still original. The A/C lasted to 195,000. Other vans I have owned cost far more in repairs than even the cost of a transmission so this is still a winner in my book."

frustrating experience

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"We purchased our Odyssey in '02, knowing the Honda reputation and planning on driving the van for 10 years. At 6 years and 139000 miles, we have replaced the transmission (AH gave us a "deal" with a cost of $2500) and had water pump, heat, and electrical problems with our van. At this point, I am ready to replace rather than repair it again- it hesitates when shifting. All maintainence was done with Honda dealership- expensive! I don't feel we got our $$ worth with this van."

Great value. Superb reliability

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, roomy, quality human engineering"

Cons: "Locks, door and ignition wore out"

"Owned this car for nearly ten years. It was not coddled. It has performed superbly this whole time. I did treat it to synthetic motor oil but other than that it has been driven hard. NO major problems. Even the battery went seven years without problems"

4th Transmission replacement

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reason: 4th transmission

Pros: "Great engine, drives well"

Cons: "4th transmission before 150,000 miles"

"Drives great, seats 7 passengers, great power, great engine, safe care BUT 4TH TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT before 150,000 miles. BEWARE of 2001 Honda Odyssey engine is too strong for the weak transmission. First two transmissions repairs covered by Honda, last two paid by me."

Cannot be killed!!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, A/C still cold with no maint, strong"

Cons: "electric windows and doors act up"

"Been Abused in every way possible! neglect, children, dogs, hauling, long road trips, limited maint, multiple wrecks, and victim of a fallen tree!! All this and it just keeps running great. Window and door motors beginning to fail, misc electric oddities, TCS now acting up. But- overall the best vehicle I've ever known of. Bought new and would love another someday! Not sure how many of my issues could have been prevented with proper maint, but that is WHY I bought the Honda brand."

Problem with transmission ALOT

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"I am currently getting ready to replace my transmission for the third time. I really like my Honda and its performance except the transmission. I had it replaced during the recall back in 2005. Now in 2008 it has just went up. The warranty has ended and now I have to try and come up with $3,658.50 for a new transmission. This would make this the third time in only 8 years that the transmission is installed. I currently have 118,000 miles on my 2001 odessey. It clearly is a major issue with the odessey's transmission. If I come up with the cash I will replace the transmission in hopes of at least getting 200,000 miles out of my Honda, but I am really starting to reconsider my position on the quality of Honda's cars. I usually recommend Honda to everyone. NOT SO SURE NOW!"

Transmission acting up.

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"I bought this car used at 39k miles. Everything seems to be in working order accept for the AC. Had to change the compressor. Old owner never changed the cabin filter. I also had the transmission fluid changed with honda ATF. Remember only use Honda ATF fluid, or your will have transmission issues and eventually failure. I used the van to haul people, furniture, garbage on and off for 3 years and the van just past 53k miles. The transmission started acting funny. I immediately went to the dealership to have the fluid changed with Honda ATF and the transmission seems better. The mechanic at the Honda dealer recommended changing the transmission fluid every 10k to avoid issues and to install a transmission cooler. That's my next To-Do for this van. Let's cross our fingers."

Dependable vehicle. "Takes a lickin & keeps tickn

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Worth every penney we paid. Great Value"

Cons: "Orig transmission did not have a cooler"

"Replaced transmission @ 100K mi. Keep it maintained and it just keeps on going. I use it in a small business. It's like a truck. The paint is starting to chip off. I haven't been good keeping it waxed. The interior is almost like new."

A few little issues but overall a good car

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "solid, dependable, useful"

Cons: "gas guzzler, boring"

"Bought this van with 90k on it four years ago and now has 148k. In this time I have replaced timing belt and done routine maintenance, added a trailer hitch. Two things came up in the past year: 1. Motor mounts. Had to replace all five. It felt like transmission was slipping, but it was torqueing on acceleration. New mounts fixed the problem. 2. Creak/clunk from front struts. This appears to be a regular Odyssey issue. My mechanic fixed it by cleaning and lubricating the strut MOUNTS, not replacing the struts."