2001 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 621 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Honda doesn't stand behind this transmission

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "3k for a new transmission"

"I bought and have recommended Honda to many many others based on the assumption that they have a good reputation for building a quality product. The bottom line is that there is a known issue with the transmission on this vehicle and they aren't standing behind it. I paid a premium for this vehicle with the assumption that I would not have major issues for an extended period of time and I was wrong. I know that all cars will have issues, but if there is a known defect, stand behind your workmanship, fix it and customers will remember that when they go to buy a new vehicle. All I remember now is that they hung me out to dry with a $3000 transmission bill and the nagging thought that the new one may not last very long either. Besides the lack of Honda to stand behind their defective transmission, I enjoyed driving the Odyssey and it had no other major issues. It is very roomy, fun to drive and had no other major quirks. I would have continued to buy and recommend Honda's, but I can't. Sorry...You lost a good long term customer."

Great minivan! Very dependable with one exception.

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Great family vehicle. Very good interior."

Cons: "Transmission troubles."

"After 200,000 miles I can say that this is one of the most dependable vehicles I have ever owned with one exception. The transmission was replaced just before 100,000 miles under warranty. Honda has a bit of history with transmission troubles in this era. Having said that, almost every other major system is still original. The A/C lasted to 195,000. Other vans I have owned cost far more in repairs than even the cost of a transmission so this is still a winner in my book."

frustrating experience

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"We purchased our Odyssey in '02, knowing the Honda reputation and planning on driving the van for 10 years. At 6 years and 139000 miles, we have replaced the transmission (AH gave us a "deal" with a cost of $2500) and had water pump, heat, and electrical problems with our van. At this point, I am ready to replace rather than repair it again- it hesitates when shifting. All maintainence was done with Honda dealership- expensive! I don't feel we got our $$ worth with this van."

Great value. Superb reliability

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, roomy, quality human engineering"

Cons: "Locks, door and ignition wore out"

"Owned this car for nearly ten years. It was not coddled. It has performed superbly this whole time. I did treat it to synthetic motor oil but other than that it has been driven hard. NO major problems. Even the battery went seven years without problems"

4th Transmission replacement

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reason: 4th transmission

Pros: "Great engine, drives well"

Cons: "4th transmission before 150,000 miles"

"Drives great, seats 7 passengers, great power, great engine, safe care BUT 4TH TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT before 150,000 miles. BEWARE of 2001 Honda Odyssey engine is too strong for the weak transmission. First two transmissions repairs covered by Honda, last two paid by me."