2000 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 613 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

An Odyssey into repair land

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

"We bought our used 2001 Odyssey after our first child was born in 2003. It was reportedly one of the safest minivans on the market and we felt good about the purchase. Within the first year at about 90k miles, the tranny went out and the dealership replaced it. Two years and 40k later, the replacement tranny went out, this time we had to replace it. After only 21k miles on this tranny, it goes out and the dealership agreed to replace it but we had to pay the labor cost which was about $750.00. We did so and sold the van immediately after. We replaced this unreliable vehicle with a Lexus GS400 and have never looked back. If you are looking for reliability, stay away from this vehicle or you will be very,very sorry!"

Questional Reliability for a Honda

By on Monday, December 08, 2008

"I purchased my '03 Odyssey with 110,000 miles. The motor has had a faulty EGR valve issue and Honda didn't seem to learn from the transmission problems they had with the 1999-2001 models. I've had to rebuild my transmission at 136,00 even after they performed the recall that was supposed to "fix" the cooling issues they have with the five speed transmissions. The van in general is noisy and the stereo is weak. My previous vehicle was an Audi A6 and I have spent just has much on repairs for Honda reliability as I did for German ingenuity:l. This vehicle is my eighth Honda and the most disappointing."

Problem with transmission ALOT

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"I am currently getting ready to replace my transmission for the third time. I really like my Honda and its performance except the transmission. I had it replaced during the recall back in 2005. Now in 2008 it has just went up. The warranty has ended and now I have to try and come up with $3,658.50 for a new transmission. This would make this the third time in only 8 years that the transmission is installed. I currently have 118,000 miles on my 2001 odessey. It clearly is a major issue with the odessey's transmission. If I come up with the cash I will replace the transmission in hopes of at least getting 200,000 miles out of my Honda, but I am really starting to reconsider my position on the quality of Honda's cars. I usually recommend Honda to everyone. NOT SO SURE NOW!"

Good Van

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"At nine years this van is just starting to show its' age and we keep it outside. Plus: Rides like a car. Carries seven comfortably. Last two rows of seets stow or are removable. Carries a lot of things. Neg: Had to replace breaks because honda couldn't get rid of the squeal. Transmission just started acting up. Check engine light comes on for no good reason."

The Good & The Bad

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Honda has a great reputation, and the Odyssey has lots of great things going for it. Roomy, comfortable, good power, good looking. A good ergonomic design and very good on long trips. However, this vehicle also has a few major defects that end up costing a bunch. The sliding doors and the transmission on this particular car were both repaired or replaced under warranty. But soon after the warranty expired, both items again needed big $ repairs. Many owners have reported the same problems. I would recommend a newer Odyssey, but stay away from the early decade version."

I love my van. my 3rd van. and it's been the best

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "A great drive, I feel very safe in my van."

Cons: "can't think of any"

"My van rides like it's on rails. great gas mileage for such a large vehicle. I'd recommend ir for anyone looking for a great family van. Packs in all the kids and their stuff. and the cargo space is so big. I've had huge things in the back."

OWNED 10.5 YEARS

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

"Bought new in 02 and have not any major issues with the van. Gas mileage 20 in town, 25+ on the road. Great value for the money. Can haul lot's of stuff if you remove second row seats. Have not had any issues with transmission. Negative's: clock light goes out and costs about 60.00 to replace. Motor for rear quarter windows went out, cost about 200 to replace each. Not as quiet as a Toyota. Cost little under 25K when new now work about $6000. For some reason the same year Accord is worth more, but cost less."

Great Value Great Family Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"We bought ours new in 2000 and have put 167,000 trouble free miles on it and it runs today as good as when it was brand new! My wife especially likes the disappearing fold down in the floor, back seat and the dual Power slide doors. Other than regular oil changes and maintenance, we have never had to do anything mechanically to this van in the 7 years we haved owned it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I believe it will run for at least another 100,000 miles."

Everything great but the TRANSMISSION

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room. Engine is reliable."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage. Failure prone transmission."

"We bought this car new in 2001 and have always serviced it per the factory recommendations. In 2007 the original transmission failed at 70,000 miles. Honda replaced it under an extended warranty. 6 years later, the second transmission failed, again after ~70,000 miles. I can't believe that Honda thinks 70,000 miles is a reasonable expectation for a transmission. Judging by the volume of people complaining online, this appears to be a design flaw that should have resulted in a recall."

be cautious when purchasing,transmission dont last

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "roomy, comfortable to drive, quality interior"

Cons: "transmissions don't hold up to the Honda name"

"the vehicle itself is very roomy and comfortable to drive, no problems with the engine, always runs great and is very reliable. The problem is the transmission. I bought ours with 27,000 miles on it, always serviced and maintained the fluids as required for severe service in AZ. Trans went out at 83,000 miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt trans and now it is going out again at 125,000 miles. Another replacement is about $3800.00. After doing internet research, the Honda Odessey's (among other Honda models) are plagued with trans problems and they have had them since the 2000 models. I don't expect them to last forever, but they should last at least 150,000 miles as I have seen a lot of domestic trans last. I am an ASE certified Master Tech in auto and med and heavy duty trucks and I know how important it is to maintain a vehicle. I would not buy another Honda, I would go broke buying transmissions every 80,000 miles. Do your research before purchasing this brand !!"