1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 621 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

An Odyssey into repair land

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

"We bought our used 2001 Odyssey after our first child was born in 2003. It was reportedly one of the safest minivans on the market and we felt good about the purchase. Within the first year at about 90k miles, the tranny went out and the dealership replaced it. Two years and 40k later, the replacement tranny went out, this time we had to replace it. After only 21k miles on this tranny, it goes out and the dealership agreed to replace it but we had to pay the labor cost which was about $750.00. We did so and sold the van immediately after. We replaced this unreliable vehicle with a Lexus GS400 and have never looked back. If you are looking for reliability, stay away from this vehicle or you will be very,very sorry!"

Questional Reliability for a Honda

By on Monday, December 08, 2008

"I purchased my '03 Odyssey with 110,000 miles. The motor has had a faulty EGR valve issue and Honda didn't seem to learn from the transmission problems they had with the 1999-2001 models. I've had to rebuild my transmission at 136,00 even after they performed the recall that was supposed to "fix" the cooling issues they have with the five speed transmissions. The van in general is noisy and the stereo is weak. My previous vehicle was an Audi A6 and I have spent just has much on repairs for Honda reliability as I did for German ingenuity:l. This vehicle is my eighth Honda and the most disappointing."

Good Van

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"At nine years this van is just starting to show its' age and we keep it outside. Plus: Rides like a car. Carries seven comfortably. Last two rows of seets stow or are removable. Carries a lot of things. Neg: Had to replace breaks because honda couldn't get rid of the squeal. Transmission just started acting up. Check engine light comes on for no good reason."

The Good & The Bad

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Honda has a great reputation, and the Odyssey has lots of great things going for it. Roomy, comfortable, good power, good looking. A good ergonomic design and very good on long trips. However, this vehicle also has a few major defects that end up costing a bunch. The sliding doors and the transmission on this particular car were both repaired or replaced under warranty. But soon after the warranty expired, both items again needed big $ repairs. Many owners have reported the same problems. I would recommend a newer Odyssey, but stay away from the early decade version."

Good Van but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Good looks Comfortable Good mileage on the fwy"

Cons: "lots of road noise VERY BAD TRANSMISSION"

"I bought this brand new in 03 runs good comfortable inside runs good looked good but has a lot of road noise and very bad transmission I would not recommend buying this van used because of transmission problem. In 2003 Honda had a recall on this problem because prior models where braking down within 2 to 3 years I know at least 5 people who had the same problem but the recall they had in 03 for the newer models was just a temporary fix where they installed some jet thing to give 2nd or 3rd gear extra lube so that the trany would last past the warranty thats why the trany on mine went out at 120000 miles. Replacement transmissions wont have the recall fix that Honda did in 03 so the replacement transmission wont last long maybe 2 to 3 years just like the prior models so if anyone is buying this van used or replacing the transmission make sure you get WARRANTY on the new transmission!!!( I have a friend that had to replace the transmission on his 4 times by the dealer )"