1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 616 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Excellent Minivan

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "great seats; long lasting engine and tranny"

Cons: "automatic doors"

"We purchased this vehicle used with a little over 200,000 miles. According to the previous owner, they had not made any major repairs (only minor things like new tires and brakes) and had driven it to Florida a couple of times and also to California and also back and forth on the interstate for their work. We put the additional 65,000 on it and have only had to get new tires and replace the wheel bearings on one side. It has never left me stranded. It isn't the fastest off the line and it doesn't really have any bells and whistles but it runs good. The transmission is starting to get sluggish, which I think is appropriate at 265,000 miles. We still drive this vehicle daily and I'm feeling sad knowing that her days are numbered and I need to choose something else. My only complaints are the "automatic" doors. They don't work properly and it was going to cost over $200 a piece to fix them. Since they still work..just annoyingly slow and when it rains you have to help them a little, we opted not to fix them. The seating is very nice. The chairs are very comfortable and large."

Great minivan! Very dependable with one exception.

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Great family vehicle. Very good interior."

Cons: "Transmission troubles."

"After 200,000 miles I can say that this is one of the most dependable vehicles I have ever owned with one exception. The transmission was replaced just before 100,000 miles under warranty. Honda has a bit of history with transmission troubles in this era. Having said that, almost every other major system is still original. The A/C lasted to 195,000. Other vans I have owned cost far more in repairs than even the cost of a transmission so this is still a winner in my book."

frustrating experience

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"We purchased our Odyssey in '02, knowing the Honda reputation and planning on driving the van for 10 years. At 6 years and 139000 miles, we have replaced the transmission (AH gave us a "deal" with a cost of $2500) and had water pump, heat, and electrical problems with our van. At this point, I am ready to replace rather than repair it again- it hesitates when shifting. All maintainence was done with Honda dealership- expensive! I don't feel we got our $$ worth with this van."

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"EX with 102,000 miles. No transmission problems, shifts fine, Power sliding doors had some initial problems fixed under warranty, have been perfect for last 60,000 miles. Replaced 2 motor mounts at 100,000 (common issue). Did EGR update at 95,000 (missed warranty cutoff). Needs cat and/or O2 sensors. I do all maintenance, it's pretty easy to work on. Powertrain and chassis stiil feel tight and responsive. Hit deer at 40 mph. No airbag deploy, $3500 damage, protected family. Good van. Would buy another."

Great value. Superb reliability

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, roomy, quality human engineering"

Cons: "Locks, door and ignition wore out"

"Owned this car for nearly ten years. It was not coddled. It has performed superbly this whole time. I did treat it to synthetic motor oil but other than that it has been driven hard. NO major problems. Even the battery went seven years without problems"