1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 616 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

3rd transmission @ 101K miles

By on Friday, August 22, 2008

"Don't get me wrong. I love my van and it is a pleasure to drive, but i would now call it a lemon. Honda replaced the first transmission after 40k miles free of charge. Since we are a Honda family and always have been happy with the brand + their excellent reputation, I assumed this problem was fixed and was looking forward to drive this van for the legendary 200k + miles Hondas are famous for. Now, at 101k miles, the check engine & TCS lights came on. Had hubby take van in; dealer ran diagnostics for $90 and says: need new transmission for $3,300. Hubby said: "no thanks" and drove it home. I called my regular service adviser at the dealership and she was astonished to hear that no offer of "free replacement" was made. I brought my van in the next day. Now it was more like "I'm sure we can do something for you". They would have to talk to American Honda (AH). 2 days later they reported that AH was offering to pay 50% on a rebuilt transmission. Anyway, somehow the price was set at $1300. I said: "NO, we shouldn't be having this problem in the first place". They went back to AH and now we are at $1024 for the tranny with a 3yr/36k warranty. I am willing to pay $500 and just consider it very expensive transmission maintenance / or insurance, since given the Honda track record on this, it won't be the last tranny I'm putting into this van. I finished my negotiations with Honda yesterday... ended up calling American Honda because the dealership service wouldn't go any lower. End result: I'm paying 25% of the bill which is $630. At this point the car has been at dealer service for nearly 2 weeks and I need it back! Otherwise, I would not have taken the offer. I am the original owner, have never abused the car, and have had all my service done at the dealership. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and has ended my 20-year love affair with Honda. I have 3 young adult children that have watched this from the sidelines. They would have been lifetime Honda buyers, but are surely looking at other brands now. I wonder if Honda thinks $630 are worth that."

The most problems I've had with a new vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"The transmission went at 30k, just after dealer service - they replaced under warranty. One front disc brake locked up at 60mph and burned up the seals in the master cylinder. Front wheel shimmy was a problem for 30k miles until we got new tires. Overall a bad experience with a name that supposedly represents "quality"."

Honda doesn't stand behind this transmission

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "3k for a new transmission"

"I bought and have recommended Honda to many many others based on the assumption that they have a good reputation for building a quality product. The bottom line is that there is a known issue with the transmission on this vehicle and they aren't standing behind it. I paid a premium for this vehicle with the assumption that I would not have major issues for an extended period of time and I was wrong. I know that all cars will have issues, but if there is a known defect, stand behind your workmanship, fix it and customers will remember that when they go to buy a new vehicle. All I remember now is that they hung me out to dry with a $3000 transmission bill and the nagging thought that the new one may not last very long either. Besides the lack of Honda to stand behind their defective transmission, I enjoyed driving the Odyssey and it had no other major issues. It is very roomy, fun to drive and had no other major quirks. I would have continued to buy and recommend Honda's, but I can't. Sorry...You lost a good long term customer."

Best reliable vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

"All I could say having this van at this mileage with the original transmission and engine I could not find any complains at all. Major works that were done on this van were timing belt replaced x 2 every 110,000 miles and a catalytic converter that got replaced at 180,000 miles. Had changed all gasket seals on oil pans both transmission and engine. Never had a major breakdown. The Secret Oil changed and transmission oil changed regularly retains the life of it. I'm proud of this Odyssey. Not to mention original rear drum brakes which I have to replaced soon. My rating falls short only on value as I have to pay MSRP at that time when it first came out. I was lucky enough since some other dealers were selling it @ $2500+ over MSRP due to its popularity."

Reliable and Family Oriented

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Breaking and acceleration"

Cons: "It's still a minivan"

"A minivan is not my dream car. But, it is perfect for tail gating, hauling my three kids to all their activities, etc... Nice pick up merging onto the highway and really like the responsive breaking. Have not had to put any additional money into the vehicle except the usual brakes, tires, filters, and oil changes."