1999 Honda Odyssey

8.1

Based on 583 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

215000 miles, 13 yrs. Very, very satisfied.

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "I have had no abnormal maintenance expenses."

Cons: "The road noise is a little loud than I like."

"Excellent transportation. Change transmission fluid at recommended intervals, every 30k miles or drain, measure, and refill (~2 qts) every oil change. Ditto for brake and Pwr steering fluids. (I do most of my my own maintenance.) Parts have worn out; i.e. ball joints, struts, shocks, brakes (pads, rotors, calipers), CV Joints, starter, ECG valve, but that is normal."

Family hauler that drives like a sedan

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "Steering response, family hauler, good audio/DVD"

Cons: "No 60/40 third row split on 2003 model"

"We have owned our Odyssey since April of 2003. It has more than served its purpose...decent gas mileage for its size, plenty of room and flexible seating/storage options for long trips. This van has had oil changes, gas put in it, and 4 additional sets of tires on it and that's about it! It's not going to win any drag races, but the 240hp v-6 does respond well when you flog it on the highway to pass. As a Skip Barber graduate, I appreciate the drive-by-wire throttle and pretty decent handling for its size. Again, not going to win an auto cross competition, but the steering is much more responsive than most of the vehicles I have driven in its class. It's a Honda...you almost can't kill it. We will likely replace it just for a change."

grateful for my Odyssey

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Safe & Dependable"

Cons: "Nothing it's exactly as expected and asked for."

"This is and has been a vehicle to stick with. Not too expensive to keep up with & has done our family of 6 Great! Dependable and drives well! I feel safe in it."

My transmission may be having problems

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Very clean inside"

Cons: "Some paint chips in places"

"I feel my van is slipping/chugging at times when I first start it in the morning and take off. It never has died and after I get going it works fine. I'm just afraid it will strand me somewhere and I'm not wanting that. I have had it since 143,000 miles; had the catalytic converter changed and have it serviced regularly. The check engine light comes on from time to tome and it says its an emissions problem (my gas cap is newer, but not a Honda cap and sometimes I don't tighten it enough clicks)"

Good Vehicle except for Transmission Problems

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

"Overall I like my 2000 Odyssey except for the transmission problems. Had the transmission replaced at 77,000 miles and again at 114,000 miles. This last transmission was replaced somewhere other than a Honda dealer and am hoping to get more than 37,000 miles out of it."

Love it

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

Pros: "economic for its size, reliable, drives like a car"

Cons: "ugly on the outside"

"This car is reliable, economic for it's size, drive like a car (I test drove many minivans and SUVs. They mostly drove like trucks), spacious, comfortable and one of the most important features for me is the sliding door. No more screaming (me) for the kids not to kick the door open and hitting other people's car parked next to us. Another big positive is that the center of gravity is located very close to the ground, so the car is really stable when turning and making curves. I just take my car to maintenance and it's always good to go. I just wish it looked more beautiful. Minivans are not sexy looking, that is the only negative."

100% Reliability. Never a problem

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "100% reliable and comfortable"

"This car has been used for long distance trips and around town. Bought new. Did regular maintenance on it. Never a bit of trouble. Car still rides like new and engine is silent. Terrific car"

Old Reliable!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

"My van has been a very reliable vehicle! I love being able to go to estate sales knowing I can virtually haul anything home. It was great for carpooling when our children were younger, too. The sound system is great, as is the heating/ac. My family complains about me driving a car this old (2001), BUT they are quick to borrow it to go downtown where more upscale cars are greater targets for auto thieves....I mean, who wants a 13-year old Mom van? The electronic locks are messed up, but I've been told by other Honda owners that this is a common Honda problem. I know how to deal with it, so don't plan on spending the money to have them fixed. Basically, my van is so old I never worry about it getting stolen, or hit. It's so reliable that I hate to give it up. It's like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

Great automobile and I would buy another Honda.

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Great transportation on long trips. Easy on Gas"

"My family has owned this vehicle since 2005. We love it and it has given us very few issues. These were fixed with ease. mainly normal wear and tear but no mechanical problems."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "Totally reliable"

Cons: "No hold-open, and manual unlock of drivers door."

"The vehicle is unsurpassed in reliability. I have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this vehicle. I have purchased a vehicle of the same brand for my wife, and currently looking at downsizing my vehicle with the same brand. Maintenance, and upkeep of this vehicle has been very inexpensive."

Far and away, the best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliability is unsurpassed."

Cons: "No hold open and manual unlock on driver door."

"Minimal maintenance cost. The vehicle has never let me down. Average cast per year was just over $ 250, which includes brakes, tires and fluid replacements. No system on the vehicle has ever failed. I like Honda so much, I just purchased a Honda Accord for my wife, and will replace this one with a smaller Honda vehicle, since I don't have the need for this capacity."

Far and away, the best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliability is unsurpassed."

Cons: "No hold open and manual unlock on driver door."

Poor electronics - replaced 3 window motors

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, solid vehicle"

Cons: "poor electronics, terrible paint (see internet)"

"2004 Honda Odyssey. At 110,000 vehicle became a liability -in the dealer's shop monthly for costly repairs 4 months straight. Electronics not reliable - 1 driver's side window and both rear motors replaced. Too expensive to repair passenger side door to use electronic lock. Now both rear side motors work intermittently. Paint peels off in large pieces (car garaged for first 8 years - waxed yearly)."

drives like a truck

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "carries a TON of stuff"

Cons: "TOO big, drives like a truck"

"It's been dependable & we can haul a TON of stuff in it, which is why we bought it. We spent a lot of time each year in our summer home and needed room for 2 people, 2 dogs, & a lot of stuff. It met those needs. Now I don't really enjoy driving it because it is so large & difficult to park. I'd prefer a much smaller car."

best multi-purpose I have had . no heavy loads

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cons: "good driving vehical ,just to big for my needs."

"Placed additional pads on floors in addition to those furnished with vehical. no stains on seats. has been waxed and cared for. no trailer connector."

Excellent Minivan

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "great seats; long lasting engine and tranny"

Cons: "automatic doors"

"We purchased this vehicle used with a little over 200,000 miles. According to the previous owner, they had not made any major repairs (only minor things like new tires and brakes) and had driven it to Florida a couple of times and also to California and also back and forth on the interstate for their work. We put the additional 65,000 on it and have only had to get new tires and replace the wheel bearings on one side. It has never left me stranded. It isn't the fastest off the line and it doesn't really have any bells and whistles but it runs good. The transmission is starting to get sluggish, which I think is appropriate at 265,000 miles. We still drive this vehicle daily and I'm feeling sad knowing that her days are numbered and I need to choose something else. My only complaints are the "automatic" doors. They don't work properly and it was going to cost over $200 a piece to fix them. Since they still work..just annoyingly slow and when it rains you have to help them a little, we opted not to fix them. The seating is very nice. The chairs are very comfortable and large."

Dependable, easy to drive, great minivan

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Smooth drive, comfortable, reliable"

"We've owned this van for over 10 years and it has been terrific. It's great for carpooling groups of kids to and from soccer, family vacations, moves, and general day to day commuting. The transmission was replaced (under warranty) at 99,980 miles. It's cost us very little to operate this van over the years. The second row seats are just as roomy as the front row seats, so comfortable for adults as well as children. The fold and stow back row makes hauling items easy. This van has great visibility, especially for short drivers like myself."

Good condition. New transmission, tires. Reliable.

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Dependable. Reliable. Great family car."

"Honda EX in good condition. Leather. Power locks, windows, seats, sliding doors. Tow package with full roof rack! Third row seating. Front seat heaters."

a great and safe family vehicle

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "handles well, comfortable seats"

Cons: "poor designed cup holders"

"When we look for a vehicle, safety is the number one item on our “want list” (the Honda Odyssey is rated as one of the safest minivans). We also want a vehicle that handles hills. Where we live, one must travel over mountain passes in any direction we go. Therefore we needed a vehicle with power. With its V6 VTEC, 3.5 Liter engine, it scoots up the mountain passes with ease (it also has 4-wheel ABS). Because we travel as a family a lot, we wanted comfort. The four bucket seats (Quad Seating) gives the passengers great travel comfort, even the back bench seat which holds three has ample leg space for the average adult. The Honda Odyssey EX minivan fits all those needs."

best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "drives wondeful"

"I would buy it again but no longer need a car of this size"

Love my Honda!!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Everything!"

"When I purchased this van I had decided it was a Honda or Toyota...After getting no help at the Toyota dealership I went to the Honda dealership. I was helped immediately and greeted kindly by the salesman. That was my first clue I was at the right place! I have had this van for almost 10 years and I have never regretted buying it! We have had no major problems and I have always been treated great by the people in the service department! I love this van and would highly recommend a Honda vehicle! Everyone is easy to talk to and they do not treat you differently because you are a female! Buy a Honda!! You won't regret it! This van was the best purchase I have ever made!"

Great car

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

"Very reliable. Excellent gas mileage. Never quits. I want another one with low mileage."

Love This Honda!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, smooth, great interior, mostly maintfree"

Cons: "Could be quieter"

"143,000 miles and this vehicle has needed very little maintenance beyond the usual parts that wear out such as timing belt, struts, brakes. Stick with the OEM parts if you don't want to change the dynamics of the ride and handling. This has been a beautiful, enjoyable vehicle. All of my family members love it, including the kids. Looking forward to buying our next Odyssey!"

Great value. Superb reliability

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, roomy, quality human engineering"

Cons: "Locks, door and ignition wore out"

"Owned this car for nearly ten years. It was not coddled. It has performed superbly this whole time. I did treat it to synthetic motor oil but other than that it has been driven hard. NO major problems. Even the battery went seven years without problems"

4th Transmission replacement

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reason: 4th transmission

Pros: "Great engine, drives well"

Cons: "4th transmission before 150,000 miles"

"Drives great, seats 7 passengers, great power, great engine, safe care BUT 4TH TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT before 150,000 miles. BEWARE of 2001 Honda Odyssey engine is too strong for the weak transmission. First two transmissions repairs covered by Honda, last two paid by me."