1997 Honda Odyssey

9.3

Based on 106 Ratings for the 1995 - 1998 models.

Wished they still made it

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Some may say it is underpowered - I say it has as much power as is needed - can tow a 1000 lb if needed - and still gets decent gas mileage. Love the four doors. If using all the seats - it has VERY little cargo room (the only minus for my 5 person family)."

GOOD ALL A ROUND VEHICLE

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have owned a 1995 honda odyssey for 10 years and have not had to do any major repairs at all. I kept up with scheduled preventive maintenance and oil changes and the vehicle has always started and always got me where i needed to go. I would recommend this vehicle to just about anyone. The only negative i can say is that after 150000 miles it uses a little oil."

Honda had it right

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, excellent all-around car"

Cons: "Acceleration, ABS"

"Bought my '97 in '07 with 145k for $4500. Feels like a slightly overweight Accord, confident, sporty handling even on challenging mountain roads. No other minivan comes close for economy, reliability and comfort at a reasonable price. The four cyl. would have mated better with a manual transmission or 5-speed automatic - getting on the freeway makes it scream. ABS never worked, and fixing it is big $$. Brakes are great even without ABS. You can haul a washing machine, sleep in it, take comfortable road trips or just run around town, 21 city 29 hwy. Not too many of them left out there with low miles and no rust, awesome car."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"I absolutely love this little van. I love the room it has and the fact that all 4 doors open like a car. It gets great gas mileage and is very low maintainence. Wouldn't trade it for a brand new one."

I don't want anything but another Honda Odyssey!

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "stylish"

CAN YOU BEAT MY MILEAGE!!!! NOTHING BUT HONDA BABY!

"I bought my 1997 Honday Odyssey in 2002, and it had 97000 miles. I now have 364108 miles, AND there is nothing wrong with my van except some oil leaks. The check engine light says that I need a catalytic converter, but I have waited over 2 years before replacing it---- and it's still running no problem. It has a stylish look- even for a soccer mom. I can haul my kids AND their friends as well as use it as a small moving truck. I LOVE MY HONDA Odssey. I would buy another one, if I could afford it- except I like the older body style better than the new one."

CAN YOU BEAT MY MILEAGE!!!! NOTHING BUT HONDA BABY!

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pros: "See reveiw - too many to list here."

Cons: "See reviedw"

"Pros **Externally, much smaller than more recent vans, but inside it's nearly as large. Parks in small spaces. **Most comfortable front seats of any car I have ever owned (nearly 30 cars over the years). Tested many new cars, but cannot find seats so terrific. **Four doors open like a car - VERY convenient. **100% dependable after 15 years, and I drive it hard. **Handles nearly like a sports car (I take my Beemer to the track, so I know handling). **2nd row has captains chairs seating 2 in great comfort with soft armrests. **Three rows of seats. Third row holds 3 snugly, but more comfortably than many other third rows. **Because there is no center console up front or in second row, you can easily move between front and back seats without getting out of the car. Especially convenient with toddlers in back. It's like a rolling living room with nice flat floors all the way back. **Third row folds easily and quickly right into the floor. **Boxy interior and large rear door allows easy loading of large items like my rototiller. **Good mileage from small 4 cylinder engine designed for Camry. CONS **4 banger is puny, so takes a bit longer to reach full highway speed and some very steep hills must be climbed slowly with a full load. **2nds row seats don't fold down, but are easily removed for hauling big loads. **A.C. is underbuilt for an interior this size. On long trips keeps whole car cool after a while, but takes some time at low speeds to reach the 2nd and 3rd row. **If it weren't for huge strides in safety of newer vehicles, I would drive no other car, maybe forever. But it's so dangerous out there, you really need ABS, curtain airbags, etc. that are not available in a 1996 vehicle."

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Cons: "Could use a bit more sound insulation"

"I was not to sure about downsizing from my GMC van but with fuel cost and car upkeep getting very expensive I made the choice to downsize. Found used my 98 Odyssey, test drove it and bought it on the spot. Good gas mileage, minimal upkeep, wonderful to drive, enough space in the back for all my music equipment. The best thing about it is my wife loves it! Wish I could afford a new Odyssey."

Most trouble-free, reliable car I ever knew.

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Getting a bit rusty"

"I love my 1995 Honda Odyssey. It may be aging, but it has NEVER let me down. Simply the most reliable, low-maintenance, trouble-free car I every drove. It has great cargo room, great roof rack, and has driven loads of children. Love the four doors. Kids love the back seat."

close to the perfect vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "PRACTICAL AND FUN TO DRIVE AND NO BLIND SPOTS"

Cons: "IT'S A 1998"

"purchased new;owned a 95 accord ex previously which i really liked but this car actually drove better;last honda van to have the 4 regular car doors instead of the sliding door much better;same wheelbase as accord and can can carry 8 in a pinch and 7 comfortably and with the fold-away 3rd seat and t;he mid-bench folded and slid-up you can haul lots of stuff;22-23 city/almost 30 hwy;almost the perfect car and it all still works ;maybe u can match the millon miles like the guy in MAINE! STILL A GREAT CAR"

Great mileage for a vehicle this old

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Decent price, great gas mileage, very reliable"

Cons: "Small interior, burns oil a bit fast"

"I've owned this vehicle for almost four years now, and I honestly have no right to complain about it. I've never had it break down on me. It's only required some basic maintenance and new tires. I've put a lot of miles on this vehicle and it has been great to me. I wish the interior were a bit bigger, but only because my kids are much larger now than when I first bought it! For a nearly 20 year old minivan, it still gets between 23-27 MPG, depending on which adult is driving ;)"

So adaptable

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"I've driven my van for 8 years and it's always come through for me....from delivering kids, picking up furniture or plants, vacations, etc. It's my second Honda and I'm now looking at CR-Vs."

Most reliable car; passenger/cargo versatility

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "avg. gas mileage; spacious; reliable; fam friendly"

Cons: "not a designed as a power vehicle"

Awaiting a new home with a nice family

"Great family car with versatility to carry 7 passengers or fold seats for spacious cargo area. Most reliable car we've owned (original owner). Well maintained, always parked in garage when at home. Complete maintenance records available. We're only selling because we bought a new vehicle. Disclosures: the asking price considers the following: no CD player, worn hubcaps, standard brakes only (no ABS), insignificant ding in rear hatch."

Awaiting a new home with a nice family

Underpowered, air problems

By on Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Though we love the size, design, and the fact it does not have sliding doors, we had too many mechanical problems and getting on the highway is a struggle for the engine. The first owner put 88,000 miles on the vehicle and he kept it clean and provided maintenance records. I have done the same. At 100,000, leaks in the rear air resulted in a $1,200 repair. They had to take off interior sections to reveal the refrigerant lines. The vehicle has been disappointing mechanically; from front suspension problems to a failing transmission. The bright spot is, if you want some 3rd row seating room in a small mini van and don't care for sliding doors, this van has the market cornered."

Really great durable car

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "N/A"

"This car has been through literally every kind of weather and terrain you can think of and still runs great. It has a lot of cool features that many minivans these days don't have like car doors opening out not sliding and a sunroof! awesome first car"

18 years and counting, the most reliable ever

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "the most reliable vehicle ever"

Cons: "windshield wipers not fast enough for the deluge"

"hoping this car will hold out two more years so I can get a new honda for my 65th birthday"

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Five years ago purchased the vehicle used from a local dealer. It had 172,000 miles. It was a chance, but the vehicle had good recommendations, and the dealer had done his job making sure it was in salable condition. Now, it has 215,000. With the exception of a new radiator, just normal maintenance done. Runs like new. Still looks almost new. With its car-like doors, fold-down back seat, and styling, it is still a pleasure to own and use. Would not hesitate to take it anywhere tomorrow. Just a great, reliable vehicle, and they truly don't make them like this anymore. Too bad."

Best ever, nothing these days come close!!!

By on Monday, July 11, 2011

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "THEY DON'T MAKE ANYMORE"

"I own 2, 1 with 270,000"

Okay vehicle

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"Okay, not the best vehicle I ever owned. The little 4 cylinder runs well but its too little for the vehicle. Engine noise is probably the biggest drawback for this vehicle. Performance isn't great, but its a 4 cyl pulling a load."

Good to drive

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "140000 miles, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs body work"

"good condition"

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

By on Saturday, August 14, 2010

By on Friday, July 23, 2010

very reliable vehicle

By on Friday, October 29, 2010

"i have driven honda,s for the past 20 years and i can say nothing but good about them when i get in a honda i know it will take me to my destination and back i never had one that would not they are like timex they keep on ticking i had then with over 600,000 km,s on them and still ran fine"

By on Monday, September 06, 2010