• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,131 - $17,889.

10/6.4

8.3

Based on 129 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

I love this car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park, fuel economy."

Cons: "No cons in my book!"

"I bought this car one year ago and have absolutely no complaints. It is very fun to drive and the fuel economy is wonderful. I had previously bought a Dodge (new) and had several issues with it. I was a little nervous about buying something and finding out it had a lot of little problems. Not so with the Insight! I have not had to take it in for ANY adjustments or problems."

2012 Insight EX no NAV, practical, Fun, gas sipper

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Bluetooth, Price, fuel, style, reputation, Fun2drv"

Cons: "USB only works with thumbdrive or IPOD, add more."

"I must admit that over the years I have grown to appreciate the core qualities of Hondas and I realize that there are tradeoffs in life. (One major trade off when it comes to cars is the more moving parts you have typically the more problems you have). I have owned Chryslers (Jeep Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee (both receive a failing score in my book because of Chrysler / Jeeps failure to fix known commonly reported issues model year, after model year)), Hondas (Accords, Odyssey (passed)), and Mercedes ((failed) should have never merged with Chrysler, quality suffered) and I have driven a lot of Fords, GM’s Hyundai’s, etc… as rentals. But when all things are considered I am always drawn back to Hondas. Not that they are perfect, they have issues with engine mounts from time to time. But because they are reasonably priced, the service and repair cost are reasonable and they are reliable and generally comfortable. I think that the most important thing that you get when you purchase a Honda is knowing that they listen, and respond accordingly when things are brought to their attention. With my new Insight I did hear a whistling noise when driving between 60 and 70 MPH and when I went back to the dealership the service guys acknowledged that there was a service bulletin out on that (trim at the top of the windshield need some more glue) and they fixed it and provided me with a loaner. My other car is a 2009 Mercedes Benz R350. What more can you ask for?"

Great Value

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"We have bought this 2010 Honda Insight brand new and have put in 22 k miles on it. Its is fantastic on gas. Extremely reliable. Some hints of "economy" in the interior but otherwise nicely designed inside"

INSIGHT PRIUS OWNER

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "Good price and gas milegae is fair"

Cons: "Small"

"Great lillte car for gas mileage. Not very roomy. Drives okay. Much cheaper than my Prius. I like this car but I love the Prius. Yes the Prius cost more but the ride is smoother, it has more room and you get better gas mile. The Insight is a good car for the price."

Honda quality!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage, everything!"

Cons: "haven't found the con yet"

"I have the 2012 and average 48 mpg. The car is much quieter than the previous models. This is a hybrid so don't buy this car if you want to go 1-100 in a few seconds. I average 70 miles a day in my car. Does great in the stop and go traffic. Gets the 48 mpg with cruise set at 72mph. Navigation map is great as is shows congestion and construction. Back up camera was a great add. Can fill up for about $30 (gas $3.85 per gal) and go right at 500 miles. The only downsize is the leg room in the back seat... children are ok... tall adults not so much."

Reliable but small, and not that comfortable

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Small, uncomfortable"

"The vehicle is extremely small...deceivingly small. The ride is not that comfortable aside from the dash board visuals the interior looks and feels cheap. The reliability of the car itself is excellent thus far."

good car

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage"

Cons: "small for a family"

"It is what it is. a cheap dependable car that gets great gas mileage."

47 mpg 7spd paddle shifters Cool looks load It up

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Great car for everyday commute (60 miles per day) everything you need, 47 mpg that is city and highway combined. Airbags, not two wheels with a helmet to get that mpg safe to drive in rush hour stop and go traffic. Hook up the IPod and Go along way on a tank. Low gear for the snow. Honda Quality."

Economically and Environmentally Sound

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "10,000 cheaper than a Prius"

Cons: "large blind spots, only one recharging station"

"I have enjoyed an average of 45-50 mpg in mostly CITY driving. I love the handling and reliability of this car. At 5'11 though the low seats have taken a toll on my lower back, especially if I do any long distance traveling. The driver seat can be raised somewhat, but the passenger side not at all. I am not sure if it is due to my height, but there have been several occassions when I have had near misses with other vehicles because of large blind spots, which has included the rearview mirror. The back seat offers more space than expected. There is plently of room for hauling various items in the back. For long trips the lack of available outlets for recharging phones, etc. has been extremely inconvenient."

Great gas saver!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, super gas saver"

Cons: "Interior trim on doors and exterior roof trim."

"My car has been great. The only problem was exterior trim on the roof which they did recall and are fixing and I'm not a fan of the cloth trim on the interior doors. Lots of interior room for a small car and rear seat lays down to provide an very roomy rear cargo area. A/C is very cold and heat is better than hubby's 2500 Big Horn Ram. What a gas saver though and handles great in the curves! I live 40 miles round trip from work and only fill up twice a month and also do shopping trips occasionally. People comment on what a cute car it is and want to know what kind of car it is since you really don't see them as popular as the Prius. I typically get 50 miles to the gallon or more on the back roads! Only 32 to 34 going 70 on the interstate though."

Good Car, Not my favorite.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "good gas milage, easy to drive, fun car."

Cons: "put together poorly, not a mountain car."

"I have had this car for 2 years.. going on 3 years. I have always really enjoyed it for the most part. I have had some problems with the cosmetics of the car. Also the car is not the best in snow and living in Colorado this is an important thing to me. The car is comfy and is nice for saving gas. I had to put heavier tires on my car so it would perform better in the snow so I actually don't get the best gas milage out of the car anymore. It annoys me that the car does not have an alert for when the window washer fluid is getting low. All in all it has been a pretty okay car. I would suggest this car for someone in high school or someone who lives in warmer weather, like California for example."

Best value for the fuel economy and comfort

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "Poor rear visibility, one cup holder blocked"

"I have a 45 minute commute to work everyday so I needed a car that was comfortable and had good fuel economy. This car is great! Pros: It is rated for 40-43 mpg but my commute is mostly flat, with mostly good weather (and I drive very efficiently) so I tend to get 55-60mpg on my commute. My overall average since I bought the car is 53.2mpg (including any interstate driving, bad weather, etc). I find the seats to be very comfortable and I really love the vents. I know that might be strange but I hate it when I have a hot spot where the sun is shining on me and the vents can't direct air to that spot. I am always the perfect temperature in the Insight. The hatchback/trunk area has a surprising amount of room and if you lay the seats down there is a good amount of height available too (my 75lb dog likes to ride back there and she can fully stand up in the back with no problems) There is a storage space under the trunk interior, surrounding the spare tire that is large enough to hold your jumper cables (you won't need them though), first aid kit, etc Having the usb charging/play cable inside the armrest console is pretty convenient. It keeps my mp3 player out of sight and out of the sun so I can leave it in there all the time. Front and side visibility is excellent and driving the car in general feels great. The car corners smoothly, has little road noise and reacts quickly to any driver inputs. I also love the convenience of the steering wheel radio controls, it lets me flip through all the stations without having to take my eyes off the road. The car is low and sleek enough to minimize drag and maximize fuel efficiency but is high enough off the ground that you will clear a standard parking stop - no need to worry about tearing off the bumper or anything crazy like that. Cons: The cons are very minimal but here are the only things I think Honda should try to improve: - The rear visibility is pretty poor, I always feel like i have a big blind spot back there no matter how much i adjust the mirrors - the AC/lighter outlet is directly above the driver's cup-holder so you can't charge your phone from that outlet if you have a drink in both cup-holders That's it! This is a great car. My last car was paid off and got about 22mpg. With this car, my gas cost plus car payment is only $100/month more than the cost of my last car (which had no car payment). The maintenance costs a little more but it needs less maintenance so you don't experience any added cost there. I think anyone who has a commute would love this car!"

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."

Nice car but please don't expect luxury!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "GREAT mpg... The best, I guess"

Cons: "Very inexpensive interior materials..."

"I own this car for 1.5 years and drive it every day to work and around the area on weekends. Car is very efficient on fuel - on the highway it's 60 mpg, I am serious! Traffic takes it to 38 mpg with heating or airconditioning on. So, if you'd like to save on gas - this is the car! Car is great on turns, it sticks to the road like a glue. Interior wise, I am not impressed. The interior is very, very modest... Honda car should have more expensive materials, this one doesn't. Again, question yourself - what do I want from my car? My answer was - economy, reliable car. So... here I am! Please, read carefully maintenance instructions - dealer would recommend to change oil in 5,000 miles - that is NOT true. You should change it ONLY in 15,000 miles, so please save your money. I am a woman and I am very good with cars, so hope you guys will benefit from this review."

Love it. Handling, Style and Mileage

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Overall 42.5 MPG"

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

First honda I ever owned. Insight EX

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "gas milage, great value for the price, tech"

Cons: "tight back seat, getting in and out of backseat"

"I really enjoy this little car, i have owned nothing but new GM cars over the past 15 years and the car/ride is every bit as good, if not better than my previous cars. It was between this and a honda fit, i'm not crazy about the civics, they look to plain. Its not a luxury car to those complaining, nor is it advertised as such, if thats what you want go look at mercedes benz or bmw, but it is a competent little gas saving car. I don't like the head rests rubbing on my head, but the eco assist is very cool feature and overall its a great little communting car. the only other hybrid car i would consider is a chevrolet volt and those cost 45,000 about twice as much as the insight."

fuel efficient to a point but uncomfortable

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "reasonably good fuel efficiency, good handling"

Cons: "uncomfortable ride"

"This would be a great car for a flat, southern locale (e.g. Florida). Fuel efficiency is bad for hilly terrain and decreases by about 5 mpg in winter. For a 50/50 street/rural highway combination, the mpg was about 46 mpg (rural locale). The car is uncomfortable for long trips, sprung very hard. However it does handle nicely."

Great inexpensive hybrid

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "CHEAP, HYBRID, 50 mpg"

Cons: "Slow acceleration, not the best audio speakers"

"All positive except for one thing. I wish the battery was a lithium ion battery (longer life, more powerful), and I wish that there was an option for leather seats, heated seats, and better speakers (infinity, boston, rockford fossgate) in my car model year. I like gadgets and this car is pretty plain, but extremely practical and a huge money saver!"

Yawn

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

"It has no stomach for going up a hill. Flat and down is where this car needs to be. Unfortunately, life has its uphills."

Great hybrid car for the money!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Great price, great mpg."

Cons: "Needs larger cup holders and more power outlets."

"I've had my insight for about 9 months and it has been a great car. The gas mileage is great. I get much higher than what is on the sticker. We just took a 1400 mile family trip and I averaged 50 mpg on the highway. I average about 43-45 mpg in town. It's very comparable to the Prius in that regard, but it also seems to have more room in the rear storage area for suitcases and such."

Gas Saver

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "gas saver"

Cons: "interior quality"

"When I was car shopping I was not looking for a Hybrid. It found me.Made it from Jackson,MS to Houston Tx on 3/4 of a tank whats not to like."

Good gas mileage avg about 43 for city and highway

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "A little weak on power with full load"

"A little weak on power going up hills with a full load. But fun to drive it doesn't feel like a hybrid."

owned Hondas since 1976

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Good handling, make a game of getting high mpg"

Cons: "extremely cheap carpet, interior cheap look"

"This was a big step down from my wife's Accord but she wanted it over the Civic Hybrid because the Accords have gotten 2 big. I guess you can say we wanted to go back to our roots and this is a fun car to drive and play how high can you get your mpg, but you have to understand how to drive it.We live in the Raleigh area and she uses it to drive to work. Again you have to understand how to drive a underpowered auto, it is very underpowered so you have to make early decisions on acceleration, no rabbit starts, because it won't. We like it because you have to pay attention and drive defensively because the crazies out there don't. We tend to use back roads and streets and it gets better milage in that type of driving than interstate driving. It gets between 45-50 intown and 42-45 interstate driving. No maintenance problems and it will tell you when something needs attention. It's hard to beleive but the dealer actually has a competative oil change price, and since you have to drop a underpanel to get to the the oil filter plus it takes a special weight oil, so I let them do it."

MORE CAR THAN I EXPECTED!

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Better fuel economy than EPA estimates"

Cons: "Like more bells and whistles"

"My 8-month old Insight consistently gets 50-52 mpg. It is much more peppy and comfortable than I thought it would be. I am 240lbs and find the car to be very adequate for my comfort. I am retired and bought the Insight to have something to drive when I needed to run errands. We have a Honda Crosstour that my wife was driving. However, she now drives the Insight and leaves me the Crosstour. Next one will have Navigation, backup camera and XM."