2014 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,954 - $17,748.

10/6.4

8.4

Based on 135 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

One year old

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"Insight is good on gas and easy on the wallet. Not good choice for taller people commuting long distances. Uncomfortable after long commute. Noisy on Interstate. Good pep in Sports Mode. Like the features and design of the car. Driver seat is comfortable just not enough leg room."

great car! great mileage!

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "competitively priced/great mileage/low maint."

Cons: "tires wear more rapidly than standard vehicles"

"I bought this car new in Fall '09. It's great! I drive over 100 miles per day for work and can go several days without stopping at the gas station (and when I DO stop, it only takes 10-12 gal. of gas max!). Car uses regular unleaded. Most oil-change places stock the oil filter, most tire stores can get the low-profile tires within a day. Comfy front seats, less comfortable back seats, great heating/cooling, audio speaker distribution. "Sport" mode is fun when you feel like 'shifting gears'. Easy trunk access due to flat/low back. Tons of room for gear with rear seats down."

Honda quality!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage, everything!"

Cons: "haven't found the con yet"

"I have the 2012 and average 48 mpg. The car is much quieter than the previous models. This is a hybrid so don't buy this car if you want to go 1-100 in a few seconds. I average 70 miles a day in my car. Does great in the stop and go traffic. Gets the 48 mpg with cruise set at 72mph. Navigation map is great as is shows congestion and construction. Back up camera was a great add. Can fill up for about $30 (gas $3.85 per gal) and go right at 500 miles. The only downsize is the leg room in the back seat... children are ok... tall adults not so much."

Its way understated!

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "great price great on gas"

"My 2013 Insight averages 50.3 MPG! The salesman at the dealer told me it gets 50 MPG and I had doubts but he was correct...this is a great car! The milage per gallon is way way understated!"

The Honda insight has one perpose

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "great looks, great at the pumps, ITS HONDA"

Cons: "not enough power, to spongie"

"the insight is a lot of fun on the inside and looks sharp from the out side. we left from lake tahoe the other day and made it to san diago on $60 and that is all the way to the port for our cruise. this car isnt the best road trip car i must admit. the driver seat is shaped a little odd for me. ( im 5'11 @190lbs) the paddle shfter is fun long as yer not going up hill. the poor little 1.3 just doesn't have the power for the mountains.out on the hwys though the car is awsome on gas! this is its bread and butter. it is a comuter car. the handling is way to soft. Eibach makes a spring kit for $200 that is more than worth the money! and having a set of tires for summer driving would best 205-40-r17 or r16"

economical hybrid gives good value for cost

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "price, mpg, quiet, comfortable, peppy, stylish,"

Cons: "little rear seat room, no toys, need snow tires"

"A very basic car as far as toys are concerned; but car is quiet, has great city and highway mpg, holds a lot in the hatchback, gives driver good all around visibility, especially to the rear; seats are comfortable in front, tight in back; drives okay in snow except it slides on icy streets; snow tires recommended for snowy city driving."

My Insight has been problem free and a GREAT value

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas mileage, power ,room with hatchback"

Cons: "no cruise control, light interior gets dirty quick"

"Other than missing an armrest compartment and no cruise(LX model)I'm thrilled with this problem free car-even without the EX models slip diff- with 4 Blizzaks I went thru the snow with no problem in upstate NY's lake effect snowbelt. plenty of power to pass, and 43ish mpg to boot (a little lower with the snow tires on) I leased this car but will probably buy it at lease end, so I can continue to avoid the repair shop!!!!! The hatchback is soo roomy I moved a clothes dryer in it(hatch wasn't closed)"

2012 Insight EX no NAV, practical, Fun, gas sipper

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Bluetooth, Price, fuel, style, reputation, Fun2drv"

Cons: "USB only works with thumbdrive or IPOD, add more."

"I must admit that over the years I have grown to appreciate the core qualities of Hondas and I realize that there are tradeoffs in life. (One major trade off when it comes to cars is the more moving parts you have typically the more problems you have). I have owned Chryslers (Jeep Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee (both receive a failing score in my book because of Chrysler / Jeeps failure to fix known commonly reported issues model year, after model year)), Hondas (Accords, Odyssey (passed)), and Mercedes ((failed) should have never merged with Chrysler, quality suffered) and I have driven a lot of Fords, GM’s Hyundai’s, etc… as rentals. But when all things are considered I am always drawn back to Hondas. Not that they are perfect, they have issues with engine mounts from time to time. But because they are reasonably priced, the service and repair cost are reasonable and they are reliable and generally comfortable. I think that the most important thing that you get when you purchase a Honda is knowing that they listen, and respond accordingly when things are brought to their attention. With my new Insight I did hear a whistling noise when driving between 60 and 70 MPH and when I went back to the dealership the service guys acknowledged that there was a service bulletin out on that (trim at the top of the windshield need some more glue) and they fixed it and provided me with a loaner. My other car is a 2009 Mercedes Benz R350. What more can you ask for?"

Great Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I've had this vehicle since 09/2009 and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned! I've had luxury cars with the leather interior and moon/sunroofs and by far this a way better purchase. I had done my research on purchasing a hybrid vehicle and was stuck between the Insight and Prius. After much thought, I decided on the Insight and it has delivery 3 fold. The est EPA of 40/43 is way under estimate. I mostly put 20 highway miles to and from daily and at the end of 2 weeks, I still have 1/4 tank of gas left. I've done the calculation myself so not to trust the car's calculation on the dash and just like it states, I'm getting 50 miles per gallon!! Also this is considering that I drive in Miami traffic and can't really hypermile like others may in other cities. Also, I find it worth considering that this vehicle only has about 10 gallons to fill in comparison with the Prius's 13 while still getting the same amount of gas mileage. Personally I way prefer to have a smaller gas tank with the same amount of mileage. At the end of the day, I would want to have the extra cash in my pocket rather than prepaying for an extra 3 gallons of gas. If Honda can make an even smaller gas tank and higher gas mileage ... i.e. 7 gallons and 60 miles/gallon ... that would be even better!! The seats do take a little getting use to. In particular, if you're a female that likes to pick up her hair the head restraint will push your head forward and not allow the extra space between your head and ponytail! I make it a habit to not pick up my hair in the car. Also, in the beginning, my body would feel a little tired from the trips, maybe because of the lack of stuffing in the seats, but it's amazing how your body gets use to it. It's really not that bad. Oh yeah, and if you're thinking of carrying 4 adults in this vehicle I would highly not suggest it, as it may be uncomfortable for your guests. Though this can be an obvious con, the pro is that you're go-to excuse can be that you don't mind driving but that everyone might be uncomfortable in your car as it's a little packed in there. You'd be surprised how quickly you won't be the driver for any occasion and hence save yourself even MORE gas! LOL. Enjoy!"

44MPG, NOT! 55-57MPG normal highway mileage

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Price, durability, cost to operate, fit & finish"

Cons: "Noisy! no power seat option"

"Bought to commute 134 miles per day, much less $$$ than Prius, has performed flawlessly, back to dealer for oil and filter changes only. Not really big enough for 6'4" 275#, but reasonably comfortable. At 65,000 still have 1/2 tread on tires, rides a little firm and handling is not at all sporty, but hey, it is a compact economy car, right? This was my first Honda, and I am a fan."

Economically and Environmentally Sound

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "10,000 cheaper than a Prius"

Cons: "large blind spots, only one recharging station"

"I have enjoyed an average of 45-50 mpg in mostly CITY driving. I love the handling and reliability of this car. At 5'11 though the low seats have taken a toll on my lower back, especially if I do any long distance traveling. The driver seat can be raised somewhat, but the passenger side not at all. I am not sure if it is due to my height, but there have been several occassions when I have had near misses with other vehicles because of large blind spots, which has included the rearview mirror. The back seat offers more space than expected. There is plently of room for hauling various items in the back. For long trips the lack of available outlets for recharging phones, etc. has been extremely inconvenient."

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"I have had this car for a year and a half now and i can honestly say that it's been the best purchase i've ever made. Always get better MPG than the EPA est. MPG. Dash is beautful and interior is nice. Handles well in all weather conditions. Already have 45k miles on it and it runs great. Would recommend this car to anyone as a commuter. Glad i chose this hybrid over the Prius."

Falls short of expectations

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "good MPG"

Cons: "technology features"

"I used to own the 2001 Honda Insight... the two-seater. After 239k, I decided to get the 2011 Insight. More seats was an equal trade-off to less MPG. Aside from more room, it fell short with every feature it provided in comparison to other makes that offer the same features. Variable Transmission Putting the car into gear prompted a few second delay. So if you put the car in Drive, and placed you foot on the throttle, it would rev the engine and then 'jump' into gear. You had to wait. The engine was also not responsive coming out of a stop. NAVIGATION It only offered "easy, direct, maximize freeways" routing methods. Garmin and Tomtom are able to rout the fastest route. I tested my built-in Honda nav against my dashboard Garmin, and the Garmin consistently saved 20-35 minutes of drive time to get from north detroit to ann arbor mi. The Honda Nav would take you on routes that made absolutely no sense if you knew better. MP3/USB You can plug on a flash drive or thumb stick into the car to play music. On the stereo, the folders and track names come up. Scrolling through them was a pain because the screen's reaction (loading time) took forever... to the point where I don't like using it. This was an essential feature I wanted in my car, and it was simply disappointing. The dash located behind the wheel had to be toggled every time you run the car to get the one screen you prefer to be up at all times. This was just a small hassle. BRAKES the brakes were spongy and soft and seem to take longer to come to a stop than most other cars."

Best Honda I have owned.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Styling. Quality. Price. Gas mileage. Safety"

Cons: "Not available in a 2 door coupe."

"I have owned four Honda Civics since 1998 and my one month old 2013 Insight LX is excellent in all respects. I am 6'1" tall and have ample head and leg room. The interior and exterior quality is excellent and the gas mileage (average of 50+ mpg in city and highway driving) is great. Before buying the Insight I test drove two 2013 Prius's and chose the Insight as I believe it looks nicer, drives better, and costs less. The Insight's "Econ" function is useful too. Finally, I feel safe in my Insight (even though it is small) as I was made aware of its advanced safety features and know it has been highly rated in crash tests."

Best Car Ever!

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable - no "special" maintenance to far"

"I love my Insight! It is fun and easy to drive. I bought the car for "green reasons" and my expectations have been exceeded. Typically I get btwn 42-44 mpg per tank...90% city driving. I fill the tank about every 3 1/2 weeks! Highway driving gets significantly better gas mileage (48-52 MPG per tank), depending upon how long I drive at a speed over over 75 mph. Pick up rate on highway is typical of other smaller cars. The Insights gets a bit of extra attention. I've had strangers at stop lights, parking lots, and gas stations ask me about the car."

Great gas saver!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, super gas saver"

Cons: "Interior trim on doors and exterior roof trim."

"My car has been great. The only problem was exterior trim on the roof which they did recall and are fixing and I'm not a fan of the cloth trim on the interior doors. Lots of interior room for a small car and rear seat lays down to provide an very roomy rear cargo area. A/C is very cold and heat is better than hubby's 2500 Big Horn Ram. What a gas saver though and handles great in the curves! I live 40 miles round trip from work and only fill up twice a month and also do shopping trips occasionally. People comment on what a cute car it is and want to know what kind of car it is since you really don't see them as popular as the Prius. I typically get 50 miles to the gallon or more on the back roads! Only 32 to 34 going 70 on the interstate though."

Fantastic Gas Mileage!

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "MPG is fantastic! Roomy and the perfect commuter vehicle."

Cons: "bad cup holder location and road noise"

"Had this vehicle for almost 1 1/2 years and I am currently getting 49.8 mpg averaged over the 1 1/2 years. On I-75 with speed limit of 70 and avg speed of 74 mph, driving an hour each way I avg'd 47.6 mpg. Same trip down Hwy 411 with avg speed limit of 55, and avg speed of 59 I avg'd 59 mpg. Not sure why consumer reports reports much lower mpg, but they are WRONG! Road noise could be less and cup holders better, other than that, perfect car for commuting!"

Renaissance car

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, stylish, excellent mpg, affordable"

Cons: "Can't think of any!"

"Before this car, I owned a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid, which ran well, gave me no trouble at all until 90,000 miles (never even changed the brakes), and got great mileage even though I didn't drive in a way to maximize the mileage. When I started looking for a new car, I just couldn't see myself with a car that averaged less than 40 mpg, so I started looking at new hybrids. I fell in love at first sight with the Honda Insight, as the styling was a big step up from the Civic hybrid. Also, the hatchback is much more convenient than the trunk of a sedan, especially with very easy fold-over rear seats. Lastly, the price just blew the possibility of a Prius out of the water. The mpg is slightly less than the Prius - I usually average 45-47 mpg - but why pay the price of a luxury car when a very well constructed, reliable, stylish, vehicle is available for thousands less."

Great commuter vehicle, awesome gas mileage

By on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pros: "Excellent value, awesome gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "none!"

"I was looking at several hybrids and based on price and consumer reviews, I went with the Insight EX. I use it primarily for commuting to work and running errands. It is really fun to drive, definitely not a luxury ride and there is road noise and not a lot of power, but that's not what this car is about. The gas mileage has been much better than expected. My ratio of highway to city driving is 50/50 and I drive almost exclusively Eco mode, averaging 54 mpg!! During summer, I use Eco mode less often, to avoid auto-stop and the a/c shutting off and still average 48-49 mpg. This car has been very reliable, not one issue with this car so far, I'm really happy with it, exactly as expected from Honda"

Very Pleasantly Surprised

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Even though there was a negative report from Consumers Report, I find the Insight very pleasant to drive, comfortable, economical and easy on the eye. I parked next to a Prius recently and thought it looked clunky next to the Insight. I also like the dashboard layout much better than the quirky Prius which reminds me of the awful Saturn Ion. It almost appears Honda is relying on word of mouth to sell this model. I have seen few on the road and have yet to see any form of advertisement in print or on television. That's unfortunate, as I think Honda could capitalize on their stellar recall history against Toyota's. My partner and I bought two cars at the same time -- the Insight EX and the Civic Sedan EX. We both enjoy the extra room and convenience of the Insight and it has become our primary car."

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"I shopped and thought about this car for a year before i bought it. I love it, and i have relearned how to drive. Actually, correctly. No stop, go, hurry then stop. Because i want to get my "Eco" Grade high and get the best milage. The best so far is 44, that is a combination of in town and home 23 miles away. It is sporty, comfortable, great readability on the dash. The only complaint that i have is that the computer milage is not true. My readings have been the old fashioned way. Also, the summer air conditioning use brings the milage down to 36 to 39, and you can't use the Eco mode, cause the A/C shuts off when vehicle stops. But i have had my car for over a year, and i love it."

Stylish and ECO Friendly

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Great fuel friendly auto with stylish looks. This car is more like a video game than a car. You earn icons depending on how well you drive. This car actually teaches you how to drive smart with its light changing speedometer (blue for bad, green for good). I would recommend this car highly!"

Great little car - may have saved my life.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Safety, MPG, roominess"

Cons: "Low to moderate acceleration, no bells or whistles"

"I bought this car used about a year ago. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. You can read about the features of the car so I will just touch on the ones that impressed me the most. First it is a surprisingly roomy car. I am 6'2" tall and a big man. The drivers seat accommodates me with room to spare. The gas mileage is excellent. While I don't get the full mileage rating, I still do very well on the mileage averaging 38 MPG. The car is a little slow on pickup but it sufficient for merging into traffic and passing other cars on the highway. It is a minimalist car in that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles but what it does offer is plenty for me. Now the big part. Car safety. The Insight is rated 9.4-9.7 out of 10 on safety rating. A few days ago I was involved in an accident where the car rolled over on its roof. I an my 7 year old son were in the car. My son was in a rear seat in a booster seat. We were both wearing seatbelts. The car had some denting and very slight crushing on the roof though the passenger compartment was intact and showed very little interior damage due to the crash in the front seats. The windshield cracked but did not shatter. The area over the rear seats was perfectly intact and showed no damage whatsoever. My son was able to undo his seatbelt and scramble out to safety out of a window that first responders had broken with no injuries. Because of my size I was stuck in the driver's seat and had to be extricated by the fire department and the jaws of life. They essentially cut off the doors. I sustained minor injuries, specifically some lacerations and of course I was sore from the motion and shock of the car rolling over. If you discount the fact the doors needed to be cut off, the damage to the car was not that severe. So was the car safe? Absolutely and it was graphically proven to me in my accident. Would I buy another Insight. Yes I would. Not only because of the low purchase price, high MPG and comfort but most importantly for the safety of the car. Thank you Honda Insight for keeping my son and I free from serious injuries."

Great gas mileage..

By on Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cons: "needs a map light../driver mirror"

"I love my Insight..so easy on gas and I like driving it.Just the right size for me and hatch back great for loading stuff."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Great economy, excellent handling."

Cons: "Uncomfortable accrlerator position for my build."

"This car is far better performing than most of the reviews I have read. The paddle shifters are exciting to use and almost as good as a sports car. The economy is excellent and I have pictures of the mileage readout as high as 50 mpg while driving through the dense traffic of Orlando, Fl. with an overall average from coast to coast (in Florida)of 48 mpg. The navigation system projects a map on the screen but is not as easy to follow as a Magellan gps. I especially appreciate the hands free cell phone connection, but it seems sensitive to road vibration."