• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,429 - $18,312.

10/6.4

8.4

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Rear door access horrible

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

I don't own this car

"While shopping for a new vehicle and getting into the back seat if the Insight to check for leg room, seat comfort, head room, etc., I bumped my head very hard just above my right ear. After laying across the seat and holding my head for a few minutes I sat up to see how that could have happened. As I looked out the door opening I realized the top of the door frame was about my eye level. I am not a tall person. I did not drive the vehicle, so cannot rate it on anything else except for the design of the back door. It is horrible."

Best Buy!

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "great price, mpg, reliability, sleek"

"I love my Insight and I absolutely love the value of my Insight. I regularly haul 550# of stuff in my car and get 41-43 mpg depending on outside temp. Its pretty inside and out, highly functional with the fold down seats. Easy to care for with oil change every 10-11k. The only thing I have not liked is an intermittent squeak in my glove box."

My Insight has been problem free and a GREAT value

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas mileage, power ,room with hatchback"

Cons: "no cruise control, light interior gets dirty quick"

"Other than missing an armrest compartment and no cruise(LX model)I'm thrilled with this problem free car-even without the EX models slip diff- with 4 Blizzaks I went thru the snow with no problem in upstate NY's lake effect snowbelt. plenty of power to pass, and 43ish mpg to boot (a little lower with the snow tires on) I leased this car but will probably buy it at lease end, so I can continue to avoid the repair shop!!!!! The hatchback is soo roomy I moved a clothes dryer in it(hatch wasn't closed)"

It is what I expected

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "Good price, normal car feel."

Cons: "Small elbow rest, side gusts tend to move vehicle."

"This vehicle achieves what it was designed to do. It is a cost effective hybrid compared to its competitors. Being a complex electro-mechanical product I elected to buy this compared to its domestic equivalent. (I trust Honda reliability.) After 50k miles I do not have any problems to report with the car. All services were done per recommendations in the owners manual. Quality of the car is above average due to more of a plastic look inside. Ride comfort is average due to relatively stiff suspension and thin seat cushions. Driving dynamics is excellent for a hybrid. Ergonomics and cabinet layout is excellent. To get 60 mpg you need to stay below 55 mph and really watch your stop and go traffic."

very good on gas

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "not a powerful machine but great on gas"

"A very reliable car with great milage"

Handles Awesome, a little underpowered

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great gas mileage, excellent corners"

Cons: "a bit underpowered"

sky blue w_black tint

"I have owned this 2010 Insight 2 EX for close to three years. It is a blast to drive. I upgraded the tires immediately, and it corners like it is on rails. I drive it like a sports car and wail it through the turns. It is great! It definitely is underpowered though. You have to floor it to accelerate onto the highway. it does get up and go, though, just needs lots of encouragement. The gas mileage is great. 37-40 regularly. I think it is fabulous that I can totally floor it and peel out and constantly accelerate at top RPM and still get 35mpg. My old pocket rocket was about the same top speed, worse in the corners, but just got 20ish mpg. This insight is great!"

sky blue w_black tint

Its way understated!

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "great price great on gas"

"My 2013 Insight averages 50.3 MPG! The salesman at the dealer told me it gets 50 MPG and I had doubts but he was correct...this is a great car! The milage per gallon is way way understated!"

Better then prius

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "comforte, handling, design"

Cons: "very low to ground"

"I got the insight because I drive a lot. I find that for the long haul the insight is much more comfortable then the prius, with a better ride, better handling, and better look. I average 47-53mph hwy and with the prius I was getting 48-53. I find the prius gets the same mileage all the time. With the insight your mileage is based on you driving style. It takes some getting used to... tho after a while I don't even notice the engine turning off and on. New passengers in my car are sometimes startled when I'm at a light and the engine turns off. Over all I recommend this car. Even with high gas prices I never spend more then 35$ to fill up and can go for a long time between fill ups."

Best Honda I have owned.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Styling. Quality. Price. Gas mileage. Safety"

Cons: "Not available in a 2 door coupe."

"I have owned four Honda Civics since 1998 and my one month old 2013 Insight LX is excellent in all respects. I am 6'1" tall and have ample head and leg room. The interior and exterior quality is excellent and the gas mileage (average of 50+ mpg in city and highway driving) is great. Before buying the Insight I test drove two 2013 Prius's and chose the Insight as I believe it looks nicer, drives better, and costs less. The Insight's "Econ" function is useful too. Finally, I feel safe in my Insight (even though it is small) as I was made aware of its advanced safety features and know it has been highly rated in crash tests."

great car! great mileage!

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "competitively priced/great mileage/low maint."

Cons: "tires wear more rapidly than standard vehicles"

"I bought this car new in Fall '09. It's great! I drive over 100 miles per day for work and can go several days without stopping at the gas station (and when I DO stop, it only takes 10-12 gal. of gas max!). Car uses regular unleaded. Most oil-change places stock the oil filter, most tire stores can get the low-profile tires within a day. Comfy front seats, less comfortable back seats, great heating/cooling, audio speaker distribution. "Sport" mode is fun when you feel like 'shifting gears'. Easy trunk access due to flat/low back. Tons of room for gear with rear seats down."

it's okay

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I want this car

"test drove, it was just okay"

looks very nice

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "great price, fun to drive"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"looks very nice"

Falls short of expectations

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "good MPG"

Cons: "technology features"

"I used to own the 2001 Honda Insight... the two-seater. After 239k, I decided to get the 2011 Insight. More seats was an equal trade-off to less MPG. Aside from more room, it fell short with every feature it provided in comparison to other makes that offer the same features. Variable Transmission Putting the car into gear prompted a few second delay. So if you put the car in Drive, and placed you foot on the throttle, it would rev the engine and then 'jump' into gear. You had to wait. The engine was also not responsive coming out of a stop. NAVIGATION It only offered "easy, direct, maximize freeways" routing methods. Garmin and Tomtom are able to rout the fastest route. I tested my built-in Honda nav against my dashboard Garmin, and the Garmin consistently saved 20-35 minutes of drive time to get from north detroit to ann arbor mi. The Honda Nav would take you on routes that made absolutely no sense if you knew better. MP3/USB You can plug on a flash drive or thumb stick into the car to play music. On the stereo, the folders and track names come up. Scrolling through them was a pain because the screen's reaction (loading time) took forever... to the point where I don't like using it. This was an essential feature I wanted in my car, and it was simply disappointing. The dash located behind the wheel had to be toggled every time you run the car to get the one screen you prefer to be up at all times. This was just a small hassle. BRAKES the brakes were spongy and soft and seem to take longer to come to a stop than most other cars."

The Honda insight has one perpose

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "great looks, great at the pumps, ITS HONDA"

Cons: "not enough power, to spongie"

"the insight is a lot of fun on the inside and looks sharp from the out side. we left from lake tahoe the other day and made it to san diago on $60 and that is all the way to the port for our cruise. this car isnt the best road trip car i must admit. the driver seat is shaped a little odd for me. ( im 5'11 @190lbs) the paddle shfter is fun long as yer not going up hill. the poor little 1.3 just doesn't have the power for the mountains.out on the hwys though the car is awsome on gas! this is its bread and butter. it is a comuter car. the handling is way to soft. Eibach makes a spring kit for $200 that is more than worth the money! and having a set of tires for summer driving would best 205-40-r17 or r16"

Best Car Ever!

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable - no "special" maintenance to far"

"I love my Insight! It is fun and easy to drive. I bought the car for "green reasons" and my expectations have been exceeded. Typically I get btwn 42-44 mpg per tank...90% city driving. I fill the tank about every 3 1/2 weeks! Highway driving gets significantly better gas mileage (48-52 MPG per tank), depending upon how long I drive at a speed over over 75 mph. Pick up rate on highway is typical of other smaller cars. The Insights gets a bit of extra attention. I've had strangers at stop lights, parking lots, and gas stations ask me about the car."

Great MPG and very reliable !! Get one.....

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "A real gas saver....and roomy for a hybrid."

Cons: "Needs better quality interior fabric & floor mats."

"Have owned a 2010 Insight for 2 years with 38k miles and have averaged 43-45 mpg. Only issue was a molding on roof that would blow off in high wind and now that warranty is up rear shocks are starting to leak. Can get over 50 mpg going 55 mph. I have had a Prius before and had a bad battery smell on interior that we couldn't get rid of. I drove the newer Prius and even though I liked the design better the Insight was much more spacious in divers seat.....Prius felt crowded. Overall all a great hybrid and worth every penny."

Surprised

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Lots of hard plastic/cheap looking interior."

"I took a new position where I commute 160 miles a day, five days a week. Because of this I traded in my '06 Honda Civic SI that I loved to drive, for what I thought would be a boring, uncomfortable, but slightly more fuel efficient vehicle. After a slight adjustment period, I must say I truly love driving this car. It's attractive,comfortable, and gets great fuel mileage(48 on the Freeway in the summer 53 on the highway). I am surprised by how much I truly love to drive this car. Very satisfied with my purchase."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Great economy, excellent handling."

Cons: "Uncomfortable accrlerator position for my build."

"This car is far better performing than most of the reviews I have read. The paddle shifters are exciting to use and almost as good as a sports car. The economy is excellent and I have pictures of the mileage readout as high as 50 mpg while driving through the dense traffic of Orlando, Fl. with an overall average from coast to coast (in Florida)of 48 mpg. The navigation system projects a map on the screen but is not as easy to follow as a Magellan gps. I especially appreciate the hands free cell phone connection, but it seems sensitive to road vibration."

not as good as the prius

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "mpg exselerashon"

Cons: "to many to list"

"ok for the money"

I love this car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park, fuel economy."

Cons: "No cons in my book!"

"I bought this car one year ago and have absolutely no complaints. It is very fun to drive and the fuel economy is wonderful. I had previously bought a Dodge (new) and had several issues with it. I was a little nervous about buying something and finding out it had a lot of little problems. Not so with the Insight! I have not had to take it in for ANY adjustments or problems."

2012 Insight EX no NAV, practical, Fun, gas sipper

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Bluetooth, Price, fuel, style, reputation, Fun2drv"

Cons: "USB only works with thumbdrive or IPOD, add more."

"I must admit that over the years I have grown to appreciate the core qualities of Hondas and I realize that there are tradeoffs in life. (One major trade off when it comes to cars is the more moving parts you have typically the more problems you have). I have owned Chryslers (Jeep Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee (both receive a failing score in my book because of Chrysler / Jeeps failure to fix known commonly reported issues model year, after model year)), Hondas (Accords, Odyssey (passed)), and Mercedes ((failed) should have never merged with Chrysler, quality suffered) and I have driven a lot of Fords, GM’s Hyundai’s, etc… as rentals. But when all things are considered I am always drawn back to Hondas. Not that they are perfect, they have issues with engine mounts from time to time. But because they are reasonably priced, the service and repair cost are reasonable and they are reliable and generally comfortable. I think that the most important thing that you get when you purchase a Honda is knowing that they listen, and respond accordingly when things are brought to their attention. With my new Insight I did hear a whistling noise when driving between 60 and 70 MPH and when I went back to the dealership the service guys acknowledged that there was a service bulletin out on that (trim at the top of the windshield need some more glue) and they fixed it and provided me with a loaner. My other car is a 2009 Mercedes Benz R350. What more can you ask for?"

Great Value

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"We have bought this 2010 Honda Insight brand new and have put in 22 k miles on it. Its is fantastic on gas. Extremely reliable. Some hints of "economy" in the interior but otherwise nicely designed inside"

INSIGHT PRIUS OWNER

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "Good price and gas milegae is fair"

Cons: "Small"

"Great lillte car for gas mileage. Not very roomy. Drives okay. Much cheaper than my Prius. I like this car but I love the Prius. Yes the Prius cost more but the ride is smoother, it has more room and you get better gas mile. The Insight is a good car for the price."

Honda quality!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage, everything!"

Cons: "haven't found the con yet"

"I have the 2012 and average 48 mpg. The car is much quieter than the previous models. This is a hybrid so don't buy this car if you want to go 1-100 in a few seconds. I average 70 miles a day in my car. Does great in the stop and go traffic. Gets the 48 mpg with cruise set at 72mph. Navigation map is great as is shows congestion and construction. Back up camera was a great add. Can fill up for about $30 (gas $3.85 per gal) and go right at 500 miles. The only downsize is the leg room in the back seat... children are ok... tall adults not so much."

Reliable but small, and not that comfortable

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Small, uncomfortable"

"The vehicle is extremely small...deceivingly small. The ride is not that comfortable aside from the dash board visuals the interior looks and feels cheap. The reliability of the car itself is excellent thus far."