2014 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,971 - $17,760.

10/6.4

8.4

Based on 135 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."

Great MPG and very reliable !! Get one.....

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "A real gas saver....and roomy for a hybrid."

Cons: "Needs better quality interior fabric & floor mats."

"Have owned a 2010 Insight for 2 years with 38k miles and have averaged 43-45 mpg. Only issue was a molding on roof that would blow off in high wind and now that warranty is up rear shocks are starting to leak. Can get over 50 mpg going 55 mph. I have had a Prius before and had a bad battery smell on interior that we couldn't get rid of. I drove the newer Prius and even though I liked the design better the Insight was much more spacious in divers seat.....Prius felt crowded. Overall all a great hybrid and worth every penny."

MORE CAR THAN I EXPECTED!

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Better fuel economy than EPA estimates"

Cons: "Like more bells and whistles"

"My 8-month old Insight consistently gets 50-52 mpg. It is much more peppy and comfortable than I thought it would be. I am 240lbs and find the car to be very adequate for my comfort. I am retired and bought the Insight to have something to drive when I needed to run errands. We have a Honda Crosstour that my wife was driving. However, she now drives the Insight and leaves me the Crosstour. Next one will have Navigation, backup camera and XM."

Great Car!

By on Friday, December 03, 2010

"I only have this car for a few days, I got if for the mileage since I'm going to have a long commute from home to work. It was a rational decision based ONLY on the MPG rate. Did research the Prius but decided on the Insight since it was cheaper. I could not be more happier with this car! I love driving it and did not expect to like the car so much. I have the basic model which comes with a lot of features still. The seats are a little hard and not so confortable but I'm getting used to it!. It is fun do drive this car and the display gives you a lot of information which is also nice to keep track. I recommend."

Gas Saver

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "gas saver"

Cons: "interior quality"

"When I was car shopping I was not looking for a Hybrid. It found me.Made it from Jackson,MS to Houston Tx on 3/4 of a tank whats not to like."

good transportation

By on Friday, April 22, 2011

"owned the lx Insight for over a year. Quality is exellent and gas mileage has averaged 53mpg. Not the most comfortable car and you'll be in the back of the pack most of the time but if what you want is good cheap transportation you don't have to work on every other weekend, its for you."

The best car for the money

By on Friday, March 04, 2011

"Got LX 2010. Doing 50 miles per G. Little noise on Highways and may get tired driving long hours. But for City it's just perfect! Considering today's gas prices - the car is the Best Buy!"

Perfect for 2-3 person family

By on Friday, March 04, 2011

"The Good: Great gas mileage (even in the winter I am getting 43.0), comfortable, reliable, hatch and foldable rear seats adds a lot of cargo room, good looking, surprisingly roomy front seat (my husband is 6'3" and is comfortable). The Bad: Small backseat, seals on the roof can easily come off during an automated carwash (I was told that Honda is aware of the problem and the seal was replaced at no cost to me). This is the perfect car for a 2 or 3 person family. In the winter I get about 43.0 MPG and in the summer 45.0 MPG. Anyone who gets less than this is driving too heavy footed. I would say you could get much better than 43-45 MPG if you tried your hardest to keep the meter color green all the time."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"Great car. Had for 2 months. Put 5500 miles - average is 49mpg. Better than Prius!"

Very nice Hybrid

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"Owned since Feb. - saved a ton of money in Gas (Avg. about 45mpg without trying). Great car!"

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Paid $18400 for an LX & average mpg for first 1500 miles it 46mpg. What's not to like? It's been quiet & comfortable on several 4 hour trips. Some of the interior trim & overall feel seems a little less solid than I'm used to; hence a "4" for quality. For example, the cover around the steering wheel column was easily dislodged but easily fixed luckily. The arm rests between the passenger & driver seats should have been std on all models. I wasn't willing to go $2k more for LX to get it. If my other car died today, as of now, I'd buy a second one."

Best Vehicle Ever fun to drive!

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Best Vehicle Ever fun to drive!"

not to impressed

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "not designed well to work on at home"

"For those do it yourselfers who don't have all the garage tools: there is no good place to jack the car up. You just plain can't from the front. Frame seems weak even to jack it up under the doors. Inside is alright though. Lots of room in the back. I've heard of people getting a lot better gas millage but I seem to only be able to get about 46mpg. I got it for the buy price but I think I should have went Prius."

Good gas mileage avg about 43 for city and highway

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "A little weak on power with full load"

"A little weak on power going up hills with a full load. But fun to drive it doesn't feel like a hybrid."

Exceeds Expectations

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Good looking, fantastic gas mileage"

Cons: "Not great pickup or power, but maneuvers well"

"The incredible low price of this hybrid and its sporty appearance make it a great value, especially considering that it exceeds its mpg rating of 40 mpg average. I am easily getting 52 mpg on my commute to work, somewhat less on the open highway or up the mountains. More than twice the mpg of my last car which was less than 20 mpg. I only have to put 6 gallons in it after a week of driving. I am only 5 feet tall, but my husband who is no giant keeps hitting his head when he gets in the car. Room in the back for average adults and plenty of room to carry stuff in the back with the seats dropped down, and they drop down perfectly flat."

My sweet little car!

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pros: "Great price, easy to drive, don't have to fill up that often"

"It's easy to drive around town and has no problem getting up to speed when merging onto a highway. There is a lot of space for my passengers and plenty of room in the "trunk". The hatchback makes it so easy to haul a ton of stuff around. I highly recommend this car."

Very Happy I got one!

By on Sunday, April 03, 2011

"I did some research on the 2011 LX insight before purchasing and read about ride harshness and slow acceleration. So, when I went for a test drive, I wasn't expecting much but, turned out being very pleased. I've had the car for two weeks now and have no problem merging into traffic, or on the highway and it is very comfortable; like a Civic or Fit. My first tank was 42.5 mpg, without really trying and have read it will only get better. Another surprise, the stereo is really very good!"

Good gas milage

By on Monday, March 21, 2011

"We had a Prius but because of the SCARES we traded it in for the Insight. "It ain't a Prius" We really liked the Prius, this Insight can't compare. It was a few dollars cheaper. We wish we could go back, now that the stories have all been proven FALSE. Unfortunately the cost would be too great."

Great Commuter Car

By on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

"I purchased an Insight LX a couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it thus far. While I was originally planning to purchase a Prius, my wife already has a Prius and we decided that it would make more sense to get a smaller (and cheaper!) vehicle for my commute (about 12 miles each way). The insight is not going to blow anybody away performance-wise (although in sport mode with econ off it blows the Prius out of the water), but my 47.1 mpg average over about 6000 miles so far more than makes up for that. I haven't had any problems with the car, and find it to be generally comfortable and sort of fun to drive. I miss having a manual transmission, but the CVT in the Insight is, from what I hear, a necessity in terms of getting the maximum benefit from the hybrid system. While the Insight is small, its form factor makes it surprisingly versatile. I frequently need to move large boxes, and my dog's kennel, and have had no problems in that regard (far better than my old '08 civic). The car actually feels smallest in terms of its width, though other than sacrificing center console space, that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I definitely would not recommend this vehicle for anybody who routinely needs to have three people in the rear seat, although I've had two adult passengers in back on a few occasions and have had no complaints. The interior is definitely that of a budget vehicle, but is generally well-configured and attractive. I'm a huge fan of the hybrid-specific display readouts, which provide some useful fuel economy information and nice cues regarding real-time driving efficiency. In terms of features, the Insight EX and EX Nav are certainly more full-featured than my LX, but I can't complain too much (considering its purpose as a commuter vehicle). The LX lacks cruise control and variable intermittent wipers, but includes temperature-based climate control and an external temperature sensor, which I'm not used to seeing on base-level vehicles. All-in-all, I'm happy with my little Insight, and would highly recommend to others who are looking for an efficient, versatile, and relatively inexpensive vehicle."

Happy with hybrid

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Good car for someone looking for a responsive, fun to drive, tight handling compact car. Paddle shifters, hand brake are nice for an ex-std driver. Dashboard display is much better than Prius high center console. Getting 47MPG in mixed suburban driving. Eco assist system really does improve driving habits. Rear view is helped by oversized mirrors and low second rear window. Driver's seat quite comfortable and rear seat room has been fine for the adults that have ridden in back. Hybrid control displays bring interest to driving that is good for someone used to a manual. Tight turning radius makes car manuverable in parking lots. I highly recommend this car."

3800 miles

By on Monday, February 01, 2010

"I have enjoyed my Insight which is my second hybrid. It is much better than the Civic hybrid that I drove for 6 years. My mileage is averaging 48.5 MPG for combined mileage. The hatchback has provided more than enough cargo space for me. The instrument panel and controls are very easily accessed and were a primary reason for me choosing the Insight over a Prius. The only negative at this point is the view of the speedometer. The steering wheel blocks a portion of the readout. This would vary with the tilting of the steering wheel and the individual's height."

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

Best choice on the market

By on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

"I put alot of miles on my vehicles in a short time. I chose the Insight over the Prius and Fusion for several reasons. Reason 1 - Unlike the Prius its not in the media for having issues. Though I realize the media most likely blew things out of proportion. Reason 2 - Fuel consumption. Yes I know the Prius gets better fuel mileage. But when you do a cost analysis you would have to drive over 40 thousand miles before a break even point. Reason 3- My Insight is the EX with Nav. to get these features on a Prius or Fusion it would cost over $28,000. I picked up my NEW not used Insight EX w/Nav with floor mats, splash guards, cargo tray, and tinted windows for $22,000. Ford and Toyota couldn't touch this. Plus 1.9% APR for 60 months. Now that's a great deal!!!!"

Insight Base

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Let me start out with this is a Hybrid, if you are expecting a sports car like drive forget it. This car is all about great gas mileage if you drive it like it was designed. I bought this 2011 Base model because I was new to hybrids and did not want to spend more then I needed to to see how I would like it. Let me say, I am very impressed with the way this car handles, is put together, and the mileage I have been able to get so far a respectable 51.8 MPG by the MPG gauge. The car handles better then a Prius and is slightly smaller but does not get as good as mileage as the Prius. But in my case was 6500 dollars cheaper then the Prius 2, I was looking at. Do yourself a favor and test drive both, compare prices and make your decision. Can't go wrong with a Honda! I would buy this car again I like it so much."

Nice car but please don't expect luxury!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "GREAT mpg... The best, I guess"

Cons: "Very inexpensive interior materials..."

"I own this car for 1.5 years and drive it every day to work and around the area on weekends. Car is very efficient on fuel - on the highway it's 60 mpg, I am serious! Traffic takes it to 38 mpg with heating or airconditioning on. So, if you'd like to save on gas - this is the car! Car is great on turns, it sticks to the road like a glue. Interior wise, I am not impressed. The interior is very, very modest... Honda car should have more expensive materials, this one doesn't. Again, question yourself - what do I want from my car? My answer was - economy, reliable car. So... here I am! Please, read carefully maintenance instructions - dealer would recommend to change oil in 5,000 miles - that is NOT true. You should change it ONLY in 15,000 miles, so please save your money. I am a woman and I am very good with cars, so hope you guys will benefit from this review."