2013 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Great Commuter Car

By on Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I purchased an Insight LX a couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it thus far. While I was originally planning to purchase a Prius, my wife already has a Prius and we decided that it would make more sense to get a smaller (and cheaper!) vehicle for my commute (about 12 miles each way). The insight is not going to blow anybody away performance-wise (although in sport mode with econ off it blows the Prius out of the water), but my 47.1 mpg average over about 6000 miles so far more than makes up for that. I haven't had any problems with the car, and find it to be generally comfortable and sort of fun to drive. I miss having a manual transmission, but the CVT in the Insight is, from what I hear, a necessity in terms of getting the maximum benefit from the hybrid system. While the Insight is small, its form factor makes it surprisingly versatile. I frequently need to move large boxes, and my dog's kennel, and have had no problems in that regard (far better than my old '08 civic). The car actually feels smallest in terms of its width, though other than sacrificing center console space, that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I definitely would not recommend this vehicle for anybody who routinely needs to have three people in the rear seat, although I've had two adult passengers in back on a few occasions and have had no complaints. The interior is definitely that of a budget vehicle, but is generally well-configured and attractive. I'm a huge fan of the hybrid-specific display readouts, which provide some useful fuel economy information and nice cues regarding real-time driving efficiency. In terms of features, the Insight EX and EX Nav are certainly more full-featured than my LX, but I can't complain too much (considering its purpose as a commuter vehicle). The LX lacks cruise control and variable intermittent wipers, but includes temperature-based climate control and an external temperature sensor, which I'm not used to seeing on base-level vehicles. All-in-all, I'm happy with my little Insight, and would highly recommend to others who are looking for an efficient, versatile, and relatively inexpensive vehicle."

3800 miles

By on Monday, February 1, 2010

"I have enjoyed my Insight which is my second hybrid. It is much better than the Civic hybrid that I drove for 6 years. My mileage is averaging 48.5 MPG for combined mileage. The hatchback has provided more than enough cargo space for me. The instrument panel and controls are very easily accessed and were a primary reason for me choosing the Insight over a Prius. The only negative at this point is the view of the speedometer. The steering wheel blocks a portion of the readout. This would vary with the tilting of the steering wheel and the individual's height."

Insight Base

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Let me start out with this is a Hybrid, if you are expecting a sports car like drive forget it. This car is all about great gas mileage if you drive it like it was designed. I bought this 2011 Base model because I was new to hybrids and did not want to spend more then I needed to to see how I would like it. Let me say, I am very impressed with the way this car handles, is put together, and the mileage I have been able to get so far a respectable 51.8 MPG by the MPG gauge. The car handles better then a Prius and is slightly smaller but does not get as good as mileage as the Prius. But in my case was 6500 dollars cheaper then the Prius 2, I was looking at. Do yourself a favor and test drive both, compare prices and make your decision. Can't go wrong with a Honda! I would buy this car again I like it so much."

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."

Nice car but please don't expect luxury!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "GREAT mpg... The best, I guess"

Cons: "Very inexpensive interior materials..."

"I own this car for 1.5 years and drive it every day to work and around the area on weekends. Car is very efficient on fuel - on the highway it's 60 mpg, I am serious! Traffic takes it to 38 mpg with heating or airconditioning on. So, if you'd like to save on gas - this is the car! Car is great on turns, it sticks to the road like a glue. Interior wise, I am not impressed. The interior is very, very modest... Honda car should have more expensive materials, this one doesn't. Again, question yourself - what do I want from my car? My answer was - economy, reliable car. So... here I am! Please, read carefully maintenance instructions - dealer would recommend to change oil in 5,000 miles - that is NOT true. You should change it ONLY in 15,000 miles, so please save your money. I am a woman and I am very good with cars, so hope you guys will benefit from this review."

Best value for the fuel economy and comfort

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "Poor rear visibility, one cup holder blocked"

"I have a 45 minute commute to work everyday so I needed a car that was comfortable and had good fuel economy. This car is great! Pros: It is rated for 40-43 mpg but my commute is mostly flat, with mostly good weather (and I drive very efficiently) so I tend to get 55-60mpg on my commute. My overall average since I bought the car is 53.2mpg (including any interstate driving, bad weather, etc). I find the seats to be very comfortable and I really love the vents. I know that might be strange but I hate it when I have a hot spot where the sun is shining on me and the vents can't direct air to that spot. I am always the perfect temperature in the Insight. The hatchback/trunk area has a surprising amount of room and if you lay the seats down there is a good amount of height available too (my 75lb dog likes to ride back there and she can fully stand up in the back with no problems) There is a storage space under the trunk interior, surrounding the spare tire that is large enough to hold your jumper cables (you won't need them though), first aid kit, etc Having the usb charging/play cable inside the armrest console is pretty convenient. It keeps my mp3 player out of sight and out of the sun so I can leave it in there all the time. Front and side visibility is excellent and driving the car in general feels great. The car corners smoothly, has little road noise and reacts quickly to any driver inputs. I also love the convenience of the steering wheel radio controls, it lets me flip through all the stations without having to take my eyes off the road. The car is low and sleek enough to minimize drag and maximize fuel efficiency but is high enough off the ground that you will clear a standard parking stop - no need to worry about tearing off the bumper or anything crazy like that. Cons: The cons are very minimal but here are the only things I think Honda should try to improve: - The rear visibility is pretty poor, I always feel like i have a big blind spot back there no matter how much i adjust the mirrors - the AC/lighter outlet is directly above the driver's cup-holder so you can't charge your phone from that outlet if you have a drink in both cup-holders That's it! This is a great car. My last car was paid off and got about 22mpg. With this car, my gas cost plus car payment is only $100/month more than the cost of my last car (which had no car payment). The maintenance costs a little more but it needs less maintenance so you don't experience any added cost there. I think anyone who has a commute would love this car!"

One year old

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"Insight is good on gas and easy on the wallet. Not good choice for taller people commuting long distances. Uncomfortable after long commute. Noisy on Interstate. Good pep in Sports Mode. Like the features and design of the car. Driver seat is comfortable just not enough leg room."

Happy with hybrid

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Good car for someone looking for a responsive, fun to drive, tight handling compact car. Paddle shifters, hand brake are nice for an ex-std driver. Dashboard display is much better than Prius high center console. Getting 47MPG in mixed suburban driving. Eco assist system really does improve driving habits. Rear view is helped by oversized mirrors and low second rear window. Driver's seat quite comfortable and rear seat room has been fine for the adults that have ridden in back. Hybrid control displays bring interest to driving that is good for someone used to a manual. Tight turning radius makes car manuverable in parking lots. I highly recommend this car."

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

Best choice on the market

By on Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"I put alot of miles on my vehicles in a short time. I chose the Insight over the Prius and Fusion for several reasons. Reason 1 - Unlike the Prius its not in the media for having issues. Though I realize the media most likely blew things out of proportion. Reason 2 - Fuel consumption. Yes I know the Prius gets better fuel mileage. But when you do a cost analysis you would have to drive over 40 thousand miles before a break even point. Reason 3- My Insight is the EX with Nav. to get these features on a Prius or Fusion it would cost over $28,000. I picked up my NEW not used Insight EX w/Nav with floor mats, splash guards, cargo tray, and tinted windows for $22,000. Ford and Toyota couldn't touch this. Plus 1.9% APR for 60 months. Now that's a great deal!!!!"