• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2013 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Solid buy

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "relatively cheap, fun to drive, fuel efficient"

Cons: "no frills, can get cramped for bigger folks"

"All hybrids basically get compared to the Prius. In my experience the insight is cheaper, better looking, and funner to drive. Not to mention that it gets better mileage depending how you drive it. It's smaller, and pretty spartan when it comes to features, but it's got a simplicity and feel that I found superior. The dashboard is not that fancy but it has a very simple fuel economy indicator, when you're driving efficiently the speedometer is green, inefficiently it's blue. I've found that to be a great driving trainer, so far I've been able to keep my MPG around 52 in the summer and 47 in the winter. It's a smaller car, and I'm a tall guy, so there's little room for backseat passengers. Overall I'm very happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, cheap hybrid."

out of over one hundred vehicles this is the BEST

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Great little Car"

Cons: "Idle stop on too much"

"Very convenient dependable/economical sporty little car - If you need a City Commuter you can't go wrong - Sportier looking/driving than Prius, and far simpler mechanically. Yes you can feel the road - I like to! No the back seat is not for grown-ups - AND it is definitely NOT a Colorado Mountain/winter car like my Subaru Outbacks... I get 40 to 45 MPG ALWAYS in STOP/GO traffic - even when I drive quickly - The car is pleasant on the highway at 80 MPH too. AT it's BEST in town commuter driving...."

Uncomfortable

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

"I had a Toyota Prius and it was comfortable and quiet. This is uncomfortable and no one wants to drive it. Plus somehow the dealer got me owing 20,000 when its value is 9000. I was an idiot and trusted him at the dealership."

<3 my insight

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"I am in love with this car so far. It is so comfortable, it drives like a dream, and it is beautifully designed. I am always being asked why didn't you buy a prius? Well, for one, the prius looks like it has a crooked nose, and two its alot more expensive. I love the half leather half recycled cloth interior, i love the custom mats that I got with it and the mud protection add-ons (especially for Oregon). I really like the hatchback design. I've never had one, but you can fit an army in the back. My dog does not fit in the back however, he hits his head haha. So i purchased a Dickies back seat cover to protect my backseat from him. The inside is so nice and the comfort level is through the roof. The only thing I would say is that it is a little bit complicated trying to figure out the controls. Such as resetting the oil life indicator. Having trouble with that but I will figure it out!!!"

Worse vehicle I have ever owned in over 50 years.

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "too many to list"

"Over priced;under performs. EPA sticker says 44mpg, I have never gotten over 39, last weeks long distance trip (down hill, interstate all the way) my mileage actually went down;fails to accelerate through intersections from a left hand turn; can not maintain highway speed up-hill (redlines at 55mph in top gear; hesitates when the accelerator pedal is released; extended warranty is a waste the items covered never seem to need attention (have had two oil changes in over 1.5 years). Had to replace the passenger side rear-view mirror at a price of $425;it is all plastic, not power operated (have to open the window to adjust both). The service manager says "what do you expect it is a hybrid" or "The car isn't really made for New Mexico roads and hills." I can see why their promo literature says "Cheaper to own than the Prius" because I hate to drive it and it sits in the garage; I drive my Subaru which gets 25.8mpg but at least it performs... I am a professional, CDL driver with over 2 million miles on the road and some big rigs outperform this car. Will trade it in (aka get rid of it) Dec 1."

See if you qualify for