• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,478 - $18,051.

10/6.5

8.4

Based on 112 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Disappointed in vehicle

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

"This vehicle is no where near the quality of the '04 Insight. My car feels cheap, makes ringing noises, you can hear the gas tank swoosh when making a stop, and no sound deafening when driving. I've even submitted a complaint and was advised these are known characteristics of the car and not defects. I will never buy this car again."

Great looking and practical little car

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "Sleek, practical, great fuel efficiency vehicle"

Cons: "Bumpy rides"

"This is a very nice car. I love the looks and its hatch back cargo capacity. I am always amazed at all the things we can fit in the back when folding the back seats. The interior materials and ergonomics are very good. I was a little hesitant about having enough leg and head room but it hasn't been a problem at all. The fuel efficiency is greater than expected. I'm not crazy about the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system and I would also prefer a smoother ride when driving. Hope future models will improve this."

A Great Car with One Major Exception

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Looks Great! High Quality Feel. Navigation/Camera."

Cons: "IMA - Integrated Motor Assist - Horrible."

"Overall this is a very nice car. It looks great. I like the sharp wedge design, the chrome and blue accents, the wheels, the color (bright red). The interior materials and ergonomics are very good. The navigation system is mostly very good. I have only one complaint about the music file player and that is that clicking the forward and back (track) buttons do not work the way they should. If I double click the back button I should be at the beginning of the previous song. But I am not. The major complaint I have about this car is the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system. It is horrible. If I had drove this car before I bought it I might have re-considered. Once they put the Earth Dreams engine into this car, it will be fantastic! I am hoping that happens soon. I say, spend a little more and get the new Accord Hybrid. The Earth Dreams engine seems to be a vast improvement over the IMA."

Solid buy

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "relatively cheap, fun to drive, fuel efficient"

Cons: "no frills, can get cramped for bigger folks"

"All hybrids basically get compared to the Prius. In my experience the insight is cheaper, better looking, and funner to drive. Not to mention that it gets better mileage depending how you drive it. It's smaller, and pretty spartan when it comes to features, but it's got a simplicity and feel that I found superior. The dashboard is not that fancy but it has a very simple fuel economy indicator, when you're driving efficiently the speedometer is green, inefficiently it's blue. I've found that to be a great driving trainer, so far I've been able to keep my MPG around 52 in the summer and 47 in the winter. It's a smaller car, and I'm a tall guy, so there's little room for backseat passengers. Overall I'm very happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, cheap hybrid."

out of over one hundred vehicles this is the BEST

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Great little Car"

Cons: "Idle stop on too much"

"Very convenient dependable/economical sporty little car - If you need a City Commuter you can't go wrong - Sportier looking/driving than Prius, and far simpler mechanically. Yes you can feel the road - I like to! No the back seat is not for grown-ups - AND it is definitely NOT a Colorado Mountain/winter car like my Subaru Outbacks... I get 40 to 45 MPG ALWAYS in STOP/GO traffic - even when I drive quickly - The car is pleasant on the highway at 80 MPH too. AT it's BEST in town commuter driving...."

Uncomfortable

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

"I had a Toyota Prius and it was comfortable and quiet. This is uncomfortable and no one wants to drive it. Plus somehow the dealer got me owing 20,000 when its value is 9000. I was an idiot and trusted him at the dealership."

<3 my insight

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"I am in love with this car so far. It is so comfortable, it drives like a dream, and it is beautifully designed. I am always being asked why didn't you buy a prius? Well, for one, the prius looks like it has a crooked nose, and two its alot more expensive. I love the half leather half recycled cloth interior, i love the custom mats that I got with it and the mud protection add-ons (especially for Oregon). I really like the hatchback design. I've never had one, but you can fit an army in the back. My dog does not fit in the back however, he hits his head haha. So i purchased a Dickies back seat cover to protect my backseat from him. The inside is so nice and the comfort level is through the roof. The only thing I would say is that it is a little bit complicated trying to figure out the controls. Such as resetting the oil life indicator. Having trouble with that but I will figure it out!!!"

Worse vehicle I have ever owned in over 50 years.

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "too many to list"

"Over priced;under performs. EPA sticker says 44mpg, I have never gotten over 39, last weeks long distance trip (down hill, interstate all the way) my mileage actually went down;fails to accelerate through intersections from a left hand turn; can not maintain highway speed up-hill (redlines at 55mph in top gear; hesitates when the accelerator pedal is released; extended warranty is a waste the items covered never seem to need attention (have had two oil changes in over 1.5 years). Had to replace the passenger side rear-view mirror at a price of $425;it is all plastic, not power operated (have to open the window to adjust both). The service manager says "what do you expect it is a hybrid" or "The car isn't really made for New Mexico roads and hills." I can see why their promo literature says "Cheaper to own than the Prius" because I hate to drive it and it sits in the garage; I drive my Subaru which gets 25.8mpg but at least it performs... I am a professional, CDL driver with over 2 million miles on the road and some big rigs outperform this car. Will trade it in (aka get rid of it) Dec 1."

Bought as a commuter vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, sporty appearance"

Cons: "Back seat headroom - [the dog fits, nobody else..."

"I'm ecstatic. I was promised low-mid 40's MPG; I'm getting 55 MPG avg, and up to 62 MPG [depending on traffic conditions.] I like the interactive dash screen; it helps me to further economize in real-time. In my former vehicle (Saturn Ion), I filled the gas tank at least every 6 - 7 days. In the 5 weeks I've owned my Insight, I have only been to the gas station 3 times (and one of those was just to top-off about 3 gallons"

Can't find a new car I'd trade for

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "It's a happy car and has few flaws."

Cons: "Driver foot discomfort."

"Except for the intrusion of the tunnel onto the driver's foot position and somewhat lumpy seat, I find the car very comfortable. It's adequately powerful, handles almost like a sports car when the tires are properly inflated. Fuel economy is quite good. It has averaged a bit over 42 mpg for the total miles, and almost 44 mpg for the past thousand. Uses no oil between changes and revs happily to 6,000 rpm or more."

not to impressed

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "not designed well to work on at home"

"For those do it yourselfers who don't have all the garage tools: there is no good place to jack the car up. You just plain can't from the front. Frame seems weak even to jack it up under the doors. Inside is alright though. Lots of room in the back. I've heard of people getting a lot better gas millage but I seem to only be able to get about 46mpg. I got it for the buy price but I think I should have went Prius."

Mileage beast

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "great price, mileage, smooth"

Cons: "slow, not powerful, wind moves it"

"First off this car is not for everyone. If your a speed demon look elsewhere or if you want something strong try again. This car is a godsend for freeway use and amazing in the city too. My driving is 90 percent freeway and I try to throttle between 60 or 65 mph. I get around 50-53 mpg, but when I kicked my speed to 70-75 my mpg dropped to around 40. Basically a great car if you don't mind driving a bit slow and want to fill up once a week. I'm 22 and after getting a speeding ticket in my old car this one keeps me away from the cops lol."

My first Hybrid

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "MPG, look, technology, interior (I added leather)"

Cons: "Weight and size - no sunroof (Would add a lot)"

"I purchased my Insight in June of this year. It is my first Hybrid and I do like the "sportiness" of it. I have been getting in the city around 42-43 mpg, however, I did get it up to 48.7 yesterday for the first time! After you learn how the car works and drives, you can really pick up your MPG - it almost becomes a game. If I had to say what I don't like or takes some getting use to - is the size and weight of this car (or any car hybrid I guess), I still need to tackle my first Minnesota winter with the Insight - I wonder how that will go. The size makes it a little close (or closer then I am use to) in the car - but fits a passenger and a couple of medium size dogs very nicely. All in all I really do like the car and love playing the "MPG game" each time I drive it."

MPG dropping

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"bought a 2010 with 37k on it. No problems so far, generally pleased with it. I do not undersatnd how so many reviews boast over 50 MPG. I have not seen better than 40, using computer and actual. lately dropping to 35 per computer, right after an oil change!! Use eco mode always. I wonder if something needs tuned up on mine. Dissapointed BC bought it mainly because I wanted to get at least 40 mpg."

Rear door access horrible

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

I don't own this car

"While shopping for a new vehicle and getting into the back seat if the Insight to check for leg room, seat comfort, head room, etc., I bumped my head very hard just above my right ear. After laying across the seat and holding my head for a few minutes I sat up to see how that could have happened. As I looked out the door opening I realized the top of the door frame was about my eye level. I am not a tall person. I did not drive the vehicle, so cannot rate it on anything else except for the design of the back door. It is horrible."

Best Buy!

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "great price, mpg, reliability, sleek"

"I love my Insight and I absolutely love the value of my Insight. I regularly haul 550# of stuff in my car and get 41-43 mpg depending on outside temp. Its pretty inside and out, highly functional with the fold down seats. Easy to care for with oil change every 10-11k. The only thing I have not liked is an intermittent squeak in my glove box."

My Insight has been problem free and a GREAT value

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas mileage, power ,room with hatchback"

Cons: "no cruise control, light interior gets dirty quick"

"Other than missing an armrest compartment and no cruise(LX model)I'm thrilled with this problem free car-even without the EX models slip diff- with 4 Blizzaks I went thru the snow with no problem in upstate NY's lake effect snowbelt. plenty of power to pass, and 43ish mpg to boot (a little lower with the snow tires on) I leased this car but will probably buy it at lease end, so I can continue to avoid the repair shop!!!!! The hatchback is soo roomy I moved a clothes dryer in it(hatch wasn't closed)"

It is what I expected

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "Good price, normal car feel."

Cons: "Small elbow rest, side gusts tend to move vehicle."

"This vehicle achieves what it was designed to do. It is a cost effective hybrid compared to its competitors. Being a complex electro-mechanical product I elected to buy this compared to its domestic equivalent. (I trust Honda reliability.) After 50k miles I do not have any problems to report with the car. All services were done per recommendations in the owners manual. Quality of the car is above average due to more of a plastic look inside. Ride comfort is average due to relatively stiff suspension and thin seat cushions. Driving dynamics is excellent for a hybrid. Ergonomics and cabinet layout is excellent. To get 60 mpg you need to stay below 55 mph and really watch your stop and go traffic."

very good on gas

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "not a powerful machine but great on gas"

"A very reliable car with great milage"

Handles Awesome, a little underpowered

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great gas mileage, excellent corners"

Cons: "a bit underpowered"

sky blue w_black tint

"I have owned this 2010 Insight 2 EX for close to three years. It is a blast to drive. I upgraded the tires immediately, and it corners like it is on rails. I drive it like a sports car and wail it through the turns. It is great! It definitely is underpowered though. You have to floor it to accelerate onto the highway. it does get up and go, though, just needs lots of encouragement. The gas mileage is great. 37-40 regularly. I think it is fabulous that I can totally floor it and peel out and constantly accelerate at top RPM and still get 35mpg. My old pocket rocket was about the same top speed, worse in the corners, but just got 20ish mpg. This insight is great!"

sky blue w_black tint

Its way understated!

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "great price great on gas"

"My 2013 Insight averages 50.3 MPG! The salesman at the dealer told me it gets 50 MPG and I had doubts but he was correct...this is a great car! The milage per gallon is way way understated!"

Better then prius

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "comforte, handling, design"

Cons: "very low to ground"

"I got the insight because I drive a lot. I find that for the long haul the insight is much more comfortable then the prius, with a better ride, better handling, and better look. I average 47-53mph hwy and with the prius I was getting 48-53. I find the prius gets the same mileage all the time. With the insight your mileage is based on you driving style. It takes some getting used to... tho after a while I don't even notice the engine turning off and on. New passengers in my car are sometimes startled when I'm at a light and the engine turns off. Over all I recommend this car. Even with high gas prices I never spend more then 35$ to fill up and can go for a long time between fill ups."

Best Honda I have owned.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Styling. Quality. Price. Gas mileage. Safety"

Cons: "Not available in a 2 door coupe."

"I have owned four Honda Civics since 1998 and my one month old 2013 Insight LX is excellent in all respects. I am 6'1" tall and have ample head and leg room. The interior and exterior quality is excellent and the gas mileage (average of 50+ mpg in city and highway driving) is great. Before buying the Insight I test drove two 2013 Prius's and chose the Insight as I believe it looks nicer, drives better, and costs less. The Insight's "Econ" function is useful too. Finally, I feel safe in my Insight (even though it is small) as I was made aware of its advanced safety features and know it has been highly rated in crash tests."

great car! great mileage!

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "competitively priced/great mileage/low maint."

Cons: "tires wear more rapidly than standard vehicles"

"I bought this car new in Fall '09. It's great! I drive over 100 miles per day for work and can go several days without stopping at the gas station (and when I DO stop, it only takes 10-12 gal. of gas max!). Car uses regular unleaded. Most oil-change places stock the oil filter, most tire stores can get the low-profile tires within a day. Comfy front seats, less comfortable back seats, great heating/cooling, audio speaker distribution. "Sport" mode is fun when you feel like 'shifting gears'. Easy trunk access due to flat/low back. Tons of room for gear with rear seats down."

it's okay

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I want this car

"test drove, it was just okay"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25