• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2013 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,360 - $17,969.

10/6.5

8.4

Based on 118 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Great car for delivery driving

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg, good price, comfortable, stylish"

Cons: "Requires reading the manual for best usage"

"I have the EX w/Navi model of this car. I've looked at several reviews, and decided that if I was going to get this car, I wanted the additional features. I haven't been disappointed! I am a delivery driver, and average about 200 miles per day - including both highway and city driving. I bought this car for it's awesome gas mileage for BOTH city and highway (40+city, 44+highway), and haven't been disappointed. I have read several reviews about problems with braking in time. After READING the owners manual, it turns out that if you put the car into 'S' gear, you get more power for acceleration and braking (confirmed). Go figure - reading how something works... Also, if you don't tailgate, you'll have plenty of room to stop anyways. :P Problem solved. I've used several opportunities to play with different combinations of driving style during my deliveries. The best combination thus far (for me) would be this: In CITY DRIVING, short distances and less than 40mph - use the 'S' gear. This keeps the engine running at stop signs/lights, so you don't have to worry about the engine turning back on if you're in a hurry. Paddle shifters are optional for faster acceleration, but really, how fast do you need to accelerate in traffic? Getting on ramps, sure, but otherwise no. If you use the 'D' gear in city, I can see how people might be annoyed by the continual starting/stopping of the engine. Even so, it's a smooth transition and you don't really notice it after a while. I still suggest the 'S' gear however. On HIGHWAY DRIVING, long distance and more than 40mph - use the 'D' gear. You'll get better gas mileage, and you can still use the paddle shifters if you need a faster change in speed. As for comfort, I love the mix of fabric and leather. I use the a/c frequently, despite the fact that it does hinder the gas mileage, but not all that much if used smartly. - I suggest using the economy setting (cycles the air inside, rather than pulling from outside) on super hot days, as it gives the a/c a bit of a break and takes less energy. Even with the a/c running, I still get great gas mileage! The Vehicle Stability Assist makes taking corners a smooth ride, especially since it's combined with the Electronic Brake Distribution. This means that each wheel has a sensor attached to it's brakes, so that if you're taking a corner too sharply, it will apply the appropriate brakes to the appropriate wheel. It does all the hard work for you! In regards to the small rear window - Yes, it's quite a bit smaller than most cars. HOWEVER, I have noticed that the driver's side mirror, when angled appropriately, can provide visibility both behind and to the side of the car... which means I don't really need to use the rear-view mirror at all. It also helps being used to only using the side mirrors, which in all reality, you might as well get used to it if you plan on taking full advantage of the trunk cargo space by moving larger objects. I enjoy having the steering wheel controls/ voice command controls for things like music, gps, and phone calls. That means I can be a safer driver since I'm not having to take my eyes off the road. Still, this car is for the ECONOMICALLY MINDED DRIVER. This is NOT a sports car. This car will train you to be a better driver economically wise (via color cues to good/bad gas driving habits). This car is not meant for those who want to just jump in and speed off. Those cars are for beginner drivers (not including professional race car drivers - they have a lot of controls to worry about). If you do that with this car, you have no right to complain about the lower gas mileage you'll be getting... or for any car, for that matter (as they post their gas mileage claims with ideal driving conditions). Also, if you want to get the most of the car, READ THE MANUAL! There's a lot going on under that hood! This car requires a committed driver who will adhere to the gas mileage cues and will handle the car (accelerating/braking, etc) appropriately. Treat the car nicely, and you'll be rewarded with awesome gas mileage. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. After calculating the gas consumption with my old car (and driving 200+ miles each day), I'm actually SAVING money despite the fact I now have monthly payments and an increase in car insurance. I'm essentially getting paid to own this car!"

economical hybrid gives good value for cost

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "price, mpg, quiet, comfortable, peppy, stylish,"

Cons: "little rear seat room, no toys, need snow tires"

"A very basic car as far as toys are concerned; but car is quiet, has great city and highway mpg, holds a lot in the hatchback, gives driver good all around visibility, especially to the rear; seats are comfortable in front, tight in back; drives okay in snow except it slides on icy streets; snow tires recommended for snowy city driving."

Good Vehicle

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Noisy engine under load"

"The Insight handles well and rides fairly smoothly. On the highway I get in the low 50s. However, the car must be driven moderately to get over 50mpg. Weather also impacts mileage. During the winter expect 2-3mpg less. Power is just adequate and under load you will hear the engine. Although the Insight doesn't quite get the mileage of a Prius, I saved approximately $5500 by buying the Insight, which will buy a lot of gas."

44MPG, NOT! 55-57MPG normal highway mileage

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Price, durability, cost to operate, fit & finish"

Cons: "Noisy! no power seat option"

"Bought to commute 134 miles per day, much less $$$ than Prius, has performed flawlessly, back to dealer for oil and filter changes only. Not really big enough for 6'4" 275#, but reasonably comfortable. At 65,000 still have 1/2 tread on tires, rides a little firm and handling is not at all sporty, but hey, it is a compact economy car, right? This was my first Honda, and I am a fan."

Great little car - may have saved my life.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Safety, MPG, roominess"

Cons: "Low to moderate acceleration, no bells or whistles"

"I bought this car used about a year ago. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. You can read about the features of the car so I will just touch on the ones that impressed me the most. First it is a surprisingly roomy car. I am 6'2" tall and a big man. The drivers seat accommodates me with room to spare. The gas mileage is excellent. While I don't get the full mileage rating, I still do very well on the mileage averaging 38 MPG. The car is a little slow on pickup but it sufficient for merging into traffic and passing other cars on the highway. It is a minimalist car in that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles but what it does offer is plenty for me. Now the big part. Car safety. The Insight is rated 9.4-9.7 out of 10 on safety rating. A few days ago I was involved in an accident where the car rolled over on its roof. I an my 7 year old son were in the car. My son was in a rear seat in a booster seat. We were both wearing seatbelts. The car had some denting and very slight crushing on the roof though the passenger compartment was intact and showed very little interior damage due to the crash in the front seats. The windshield cracked but did not shatter. The area over the rear seats was perfectly intact and showed no damage whatsoever. My son was able to undo his seatbelt and scramble out to safety out of a window that first responders had broken with no injuries. Because of my size I was stuck in the driver's seat and had to be extricated by the fire department and the jaws of life. They essentially cut off the doors. I sustained minor injuries, specifically some lacerations and of course I was sore from the motion and shock of the car rolling over. If you discount the fact the doors needed to be cut off, the damage to the car was not that severe. So was the car safe? Absolutely and it was graphically proven to me in my accident. Would I buy another Insight. Yes I would. Not only because of the low purchase price, high MPG and comfort but most importantly for the safety of the car. Thank you Honda Insight for keeping my son and I free from serious injuries."