• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2012 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 134 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Yawn

By on Monday, October 05, 2009

"I know it does a good job reducing pollutants and gets better mileage than NonHybrids, but why is it 10mpg less than the new Prius, and why is it such a dog in acceleration? I am afraid to get on the highway where I live (SoCal). I wish I'd paid the additional 3K and gotten a more refined car. Prius works, if you have to Hybrid."

Worse vehicle I have ever owned in over 50 years.

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "too many to list"

"Over priced;under performs. EPA sticker says 44mpg, I have never gotten over 39, last weeks long distance trip (down hill, interstate all the way) my mileage actually went down;fails to accelerate through intersections from a left hand turn; can not maintain highway speed up-hill (redlines at 55mph in top gear; hesitates when the accelerator pedal is released; extended warranty is a waste the items covered never seem to need attention (have had two oil changes in over 1.5 years). Had to replace the passenger side rear-view mirror at a price of $425;it is all plastic, not power operated (have to open the window to adjust both). The service manager says "what do you expect it is a hybrid" or "The car isn't really made for New Mexico roads and hills." I can see why their promo literature says "Cheaper to own than the Prius" because I hate to drive it and it sits in the garage; I drive my Subaru which gets 25.8mpg but at least it performs... I am a professional, CDL driver with over 2 million miles on the road and some big rigs outperform this car. Will trade it in (aka get rid of it) Dec 1."

I'v driven better vehicles with better gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Better mileage than a semi tractor.."

Cons: "Mileage is hyped (35-45 max).."

"I don't get the "mileage hype".. I bought my insight brand new, even the sticker indicated 30-45 mpg's. I'm getting between 35-44 mpg's. It has a 10 gallon fuel tank and gets 400-415 miles per tank. It has alot of inside noise while driving the x-way. Not very comfortable, but better than a "Yugo"..lol. All in all, the car is just "ok", but not worth the $22,000 I paid for it. It may have been worth $15-17,000 (maybe)."

Great hybrid for the money!

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "great price and mpg and is fun to drive."

Cons: "styling more generic and interior needs upgrades."

"I have had no problems with my car so far and average around 50mpg. For the money, it is difficult to find a better hybrid for return on investment. It has a more engaging driving experience than other hybrids I test drove, and the purchase process was a breeze. Other than oil changes once a year I have had no need to return to the dealer. Job done."

Best Buy!

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "great price, mpg, reliability, sleek"

"I love my Insight and I absolutely love the value of my Insight. I regularly haul 550# of stuff in my car and get 41-43 mpg depending on outside temp. Its pretty inside and out, highly functional with the fold down seats. Easy to care for with oil change every 10-11k. The only thing I have not liked is an intermittent squeak in my glove box."