2011 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Economically and Environmentally Sound

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "10,000 cheaper than a Prius"

Cons: "large blind spots, only one recharging station"

"I have enjoyed an average of 45-50 mpg in mostly CITY driving. I love the handling and reliability of this car. At 5'11 though the low seats have taken a toll on my lower back, especially if I do any long distance traveling. The driver seat can be raised somewhat, but the passenger side not at all. I am not sure if it is due to my height, but there have been several occassions when I have had near misses with other vehicles because of large blind spots, which has included the rearview mirror. The back seat offers more space than expected. There is plently of room for hauling various items in the back. For long trips the lack of available outlets for recharging phones, etc. has been extremely inconvenient."

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"I have had this car for a year and a half now and i can honestly say that it's been the best purchase i've ever made. Always get better MPG than the EPA est. MPG. Dash is beautful and interior is nice. Handles well in all weather conditions. Already have 45k miles on it and it runs great. Would recommend this car to anyone as a commuter. Glad i chose this hybrid over the Prius."

Great little car - may have saved my life.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Safety, MPG, roominess"

Cons: "Low to moderate acceleration, no bells or whistles"

"I bought this car used about a year ago. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. You can read about the features of the car so I will just touch on the ones that impressed me the most. First it is a surprisingly roomy car. I am 6'2" tall and a big man. The drivers seat accommodates me with room to spare. The gas mileage is excellent. While I don't get the full mileage rating, I still do very well on the mileage averaging 38 MPG. The car is a little slow on pickup but it sufficient for merging into traffic and passing other cars on the highway. It is a minimalist car in that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles but what it does offer is plenty for me. Now the big part. Car safety. The Insight is rated 9.4-9.7 out of 10 on safety rating. A few days ago I was involved in an accident where the car rolled over on its roof. I an my 7 year old son were in the car. My son was in a rear seat in a booster seat. We were both wearing seatbelts. The car had some denting and very slight crushing on the roof though the passenger compartment was intact and showed very little interior damage due to the crash in the front seats. The windshield cracked but did not shatter. The area over the rear seats was perfectly intact and showed no damage whatsoever. My son was able to undo his seatbelt and scramble out to safety out of a window that first responders had broken with no injuries. Because of my size I was stuck in the driver's seat and had to be extricated by the fire department and the jaws of life. They essentially cut off the doors. I sustained minor injuries, specifically some lacerations and of course I was sore from the motion and shock of the car rolling over. If you discount the fact the doors needed to be cut off, the damage to the car was not that severe. So was the car safe? Absolutely and it was graphically proven to me in my accident. Would I buy another Insight. Yes I would. Not only because of the low purchase price, high MPG and comfort but most importantly for the safety of the car. Thank you Honda Insight for keeping my son and I free from serious injuries."

Falls short of expectations

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "good MPG"

Cons: "technology features"

"I used to own the 2001 Honda Insight... the two-seater. After 239k, I decided to get the 2011 Insight. More seats was an equal trade-off to less MPG. Aside from more room, it fell short with every feature it provided in comparison to other makes that offer the same features. Variable Transmission Putting the car into gear prompted a few second delay. So if you put the car in Drive, and placed you foot on the throttle, it would rev the engine and then 'jump' into gear. You had to wait. The engine was also not responsive coming out of a stop. NAVIGATION It only offered "easy, direct, maximize freeways" routing methods. Garmin and Tomtom are able to rout the fastest route. I tested my built-in Honda nav against my dashboard Garmin, and the Garmin consistently saved 20-35 minutes of drive time to get from north detroit to ann arbor mi. The Honda Nav would take you on routes that made absolutely no sense if you knew better. MP3/USB You can plug on a flash drive or thumb stick into the car to play music. On the stereo, the folders and track names come up. Scrolling through them was a pain because the screen's reaction (loading time) took forever... to the point where I don't like using it. This was an essential feature I wanted in my car, and it was simply disappointing. The dash located behind the wheel had to be toggled every time you run the car to get the one screen you prefer to be up at all times. This was just a small hassle. BRAKES the brakes were spongy and soft and seem to take longer to come to a stop than most other cars."

Best Honda I have owned.

By on Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pros: "Styling. Quality. Price. Gas mileage. Safety"

Cons: "Not available in a 2 door coupe."

"I have owned four Honda Civics since 1998 and my one month old 2013 Insight LX is excellent in all respects. I am 6'1" tall and have ample head and leg room. The interior and exterior quality is excellent and the gas mileage (average of 50+ mpg in city and highway driving) is great. Before buying the Insight I test drove two 2013 Prius's and chose the Insight as I believe it looks nicer, drives better, and costs less. The Insight's "Econ" function is useful too. Finally, I feel safe in my Insight (even though it is small) as I was made aware of its advanced safety features and know it has been highly rated in crash tests."

Best Car Ever!

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable - no "special" maintenance to far"

"I love my Insight! It is fun and easy to drive. I bought the car for "green reasons" and my expectations have been exceeded. Typically I get btwn 42-44 mpg per tank...90% city driving. I fill the tank about every 3 1/2 weeks! Highway driving gets significantly better gas mileage (48-52 MPG per tank), depending upon how long I drive at a speed over over 75 mph. Pick up rate on highway is typical of other smaller cars. The Insights gets a bit of extra attention. I've had strangers at stop lights, parking lots, and gas stations ask me about the car."

Great gas saver!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, super gas saver"

Cons: "Interior trim on doors and exterior roof trim."

"My car has been great. The only problem was exterior trim on the roof which they did recall and are fixing and I'm not a fan of the cloth trim on the interior doors. Lots of interior room for a small car and rear seat lays down to provide an very roomy rear cargo area. A/C is very cold and heat is better than hubby's 2500 Big Horn Ram. What a gas saver though and handles great in the curves! I live 40 miles round trip from work and only fill up twice a month and also do shopping trips occasionally. People comment on what a cute car it is and want to know what kind of car it is since you really don't see them as popular as the Prius. I typically get 50 miles to the gallon or more on the back roads! Only 32 to 34 going 70 on the interstate though."

MORE CAR THAN I EXPECTED!

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Better fuel economy than EPA estimates"

Cons: "Like more bells and whistles"

"My 8-month old Insight consistently gets 50-52 mpg. It is much more peppy and comfortable than I thought it would be. I am 240lbs and find the car to be very adequate for my comfort. I am retired and bought the Insight to have something to drive when I needed to run errands. We have a Honda Crosstour that my wife was driving. However, she now drives the Insight and leaves me the Crosstour. Next one will have Navigation, backup camera and XM."

Fantastic Gas Mileage!

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "MPG is fantastic! Roomy and the perfect commuter vehicle."

Cons: "bad cup holder location and road noise"

"Had this vehicle for almost 1 1/2 years and I am currently getting 49.8 mpg averaged over the 1 1/2 years. On I-75 with speed limit of 70 and avg speed of 74 mph, driving an hour each way I avg'd 47.6 mpg. Same trip down Hwy 411 with avg speed limit of 55, and avg speed of 59 I avg'd 59 mpg. Not sure why consumer reports reports much lower mpg, but they are WRONG! Road noise could be less and cup holders better, other than that, perfect car for commuting!"

Renaissance car

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, stylish, excellent mpg, affordable"

Cons: "Can't think of any!"

"Before this car, I owned a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid, which ran well, gave me no trouble at all until 90,000 miles (never even changed the brakes), and got great mileage even though I didn't drive in a way to maximize the mileage. When I started looking for a new car, I just couldn't see myself with a car that averaged less than 40 mpg, so I started looking at new hybrids. I fell in love at first sight with the Honda Insight, as the styling was a big step up from the Civic hybrid. Also, the hatchback is much more convenient than the trunk of a sedan, especially with very easy fold-over rear seats. Lastly, the price just blew the possibility of a Prius out of the water. The mpg is slightly less than the Prius - I usually average 45-47 mpg - but why pay the price of a luxury car when a very well constructed, reliable, stylish, vehicle is available for thousands less."