2011 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Best Car Ever!

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable - no "special" maintenance to far"

"I love my Insight! It is fun and easy to drive. I bought the car for "green reasons" and my expectations have been exceeded. Typically I get btwn 42-44 mpg per tank...90% city driving. I fill the tank about every 3 1/2 weeks! Highway driving gets significantly better gas mileage (48-52 MPG per tank), depending upon how long I drive at a speed over over 75 mph. Pick up rate on highway is typical of other smaller cars. The Insights gets a bit of extra attention. I've had strangers at stop lights, parking lots, and gas stations ask me about the car."

Great gas saver!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, super gas saver"

Cons: "Interior trim on doors and exterior roof trim."

"My car has been great. The only problem was exterior trim on the roof which they did recall and are fixing and I'm not a fan of the cloth trim on the interior doors. Lots of interior room for a small car and rear seat lays down to provide an very roomy rear cargo area. A/C is very cold and heat is better than hubby's 2500 Big Horn Ram. What a gas saver though and handles great in the curves! I live 40 miles round trip from work and only fill up twice a month and also do shopping trips occasionally. People comment on what a cute car it is and want to know what kind of car it is since you really don't see them as popular as the Prius. I typically get 50 miles to the gallon or more on the back roads! Only 32 to 34 going 70 on the interstate though."

MORE CAR THAN I EXPECTED!

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Better fuel economy than EPA estimates"

Cons: "Like more bells and whistles"

"My 8-month old Insight consistently gets 50-52 mpg. It is much more peppy and comfortable than I thought it would be. I am 240lbs and find the car to be very adequate for my comfort. I am retired and bought the Insight to have something to drive when I needed to run errands. We have a Honda Crosstour that my wife was driving. However, she now drives the Insight and leaves me the Crosstour. Next one will have Navigation, backup camera and XM."

Fantastic Gas Mileage!

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "MPG is fantastic! Roomy and the perfect commuter vehicle."

Cons: "bad cup holder location and road noise"

"Had this vehicle for almost 1 1/2 years and I am currently getting 49.8 mpg averaged over the 1 1/2 years. On I-75 with speed limit of 70 and avg speed of 74 mph, driving an hour each way I avg'd 47.6 mpg. Same trip down Hwy 411 with avg speed limit of 55, and avg speed of 59 I avg'd 59 mpg. Not sure why consumer reports reports much lower mpg, but they are WRONG! Road noise could be less and cup holders better, other than that, perfect car for commuting!"

Renaissance car

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, stylish, excellent mpg, affordable"

Cons: "Can't think of any!"

"Before this car, I owned a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid, which ran well, gave me no trouble at all until 90,000 miles (never even changed the brakes), and got great mileage even though I didn't drive in a way to maximize the mileage. When I started looking for a new car, I just couldn't see myself with a car that averaged less than 40 mpg, so I started looking at new hybrids. I fell in love at first sight with the Honda Insight, as the styling was a big step up from the Civic hybrid. Also, the hatchback is much more convenient than the trunk of a sedan, especially with very easy fold-over rear seats. Lastly, the price just blew the possibility of a Prius out of the water. The mpg is slightly less than the Prius - I usually average 45-47 mpg - but why pay the price of a luxury car when a very well constructed, reliable, stylish, vehicle is available for thousands less."

Great commuter vehicle, awesome gas mileage

By on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pros: "Excellent value, awesome gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "none!"

"I was looking at several hybrids and based on price and consumer reviews, I went with the Insight EX. I use it primarily for commuting to work and running errands. It is really fun to drive, definitely not a luxury ride and there is road noise and not a lot of power, but that's not what this car is about. The gas mileage has been much better than expected. My ratio of highway to city driving is 50/50 and I drive almost exclusively Eco mode, averaging 54 mpg!! During summer, I use Eco mode less often, to avoid auto-stop and the a/c shutting off and still average 48-49 mpg. This car has been very reliable, not one issue with this car so far, I'm really happy with it, exactly as expected from Honda"

Very Pleasantly Surprised

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Even though there was a negative report from Consumers Report, I find the Insight very pleasant to drive, comfortable, economical and easy on the eye. I parked next to a Prius recently and thought it looked clunky next to the Insight. I also like the dashboard layout much better than the quirky Prius which reminds me of the awful Saturn Ion. It almost appears Honda is relying on word of mouth to sell this model. I have seen few on the road and have yet to see any form of advertisement in print or on television. That's unfortunate, as I think Honda could capitalize on their stellar recall history against Toyota's. My partner and I bought two cars at the same time -- the Insight EX and the Civic Sedan EX. We both enjoy the extra room and convenience of the Insight and it has become our primary car."

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"I shopped and thought about this car for a year before i bought it. I love it, and i have relearned how to drive. Actually, correctly. No stop, go, hurry then stop. Because i want to get my "Eco" Grade high and get the best milage. The best so far is 44, that is a combination of in town and home 23 miles away. It is sporty, comfortable, great readability on the dash. The only complaint that i have is that the computer milage is not true. My readings have been the old fashioned way. Also, the summer air conditioning use brings the milage down to 36 to 39, and you can't use the Eco mode, cause the A/C shuts off when vehicle stops. But i have had my car for over a year, and i love it."

Stylish and ECO Friendly

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Great fuel friendly auto with stylish looks. This car is more like a video game than a car. You earn icons depending on how well you drive. This car actually teaches you how to drive smart with its light changing speedometer (blue for bad, green for good). I would recommend this car highly!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Great economy, excellent handling."

Cons: "Uncomfortable accrlerator position for my build."

"This car is far better performing than most of the reviews I have read. The paddle shifters are exciting to use and almost as good as a sports car. The economy is excellent and I have pictures of the mileage readout as high as 50 mpg while driving through the dense traffic of Orlando, Fl. with an overall average from coast to coast (in Florida)of 48 mpg. The navigation system projects a map on the screen but is not as easy to follow as a Magellan gps. I especially appreciate the hands free cell phone connection, but it seems sensitive to road vibration."

47 mpg 7spd paddle shifters Cool looks load It up

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Great car for everyday commute (60 miles per day) everything you need, 47 mpg that is city and highway combined. Airbags, not two wheels with a helmet to get that mpg safe to drive in rush hour stop and go traffic. Hook up the IPod and Go along way on a tank. Low gear for the snow. Honda Quality."

Great Econmy

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"The does what I expected. Great mileage, nice features, handles well. I first drove it to conserve gas, but found the gas mileage to be only slightly less when driving more agressively. The car has good acceleration when you step on it. I would recommnd the car for commuting, but don't plan on putting 4 adults in it comfortably."

Great car for delivery driving

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg, good price, comfortable, stylish"

Cons: "Requires reading the manual for best usage"

"I have the EX w/Navi model of this car. I've looked at several reviews, and decided that if I was going to get this car, I wanted the additional features. I haven't been disappointed! I am a delivery driver, and average about 200 miles per day - including both highway and city driving. I bought this car for it's awesome gas mileage for BOTH city and highway (40+city, 44+highway), and haven't been disappointed. I have read several reviews about problems with braking in time. After READING the owners manual, it turns out that if you put the car into 'S' gear, you get more power for acceleration and braking (confirmed). Go figure - reading how something works... Also, if you don't tailgate, you'll have plenty of room to stop anyways. :P Problem solved. I've used several opportunities to play with different combinations of driving style during my deliveries. The best combination thus far (for me) would be this: In CITY DRIVING, short distances and less than 40mph - use the 'S' gear. This keeps the engine running at stop signs/lights, so you don't have to worry about the engine turning back on if you're in a hurry. Paddle shifters are optional for faster acceleration, but really, how fast do you need to accelerate in traffic? Getting on ramps, sure, but otherwise no. If you use the 'D' gear in city, I can see how people might be annoyed by the continual starting/stopping of the engine. Even so, it's a smooth transition and you don't really notice it after a while. I still suggest the 'S' gear however. On HIGHWAY DRIVING, long distance and more than 40mph - use the 'D' gear. You'll get better gas mileage, and you can still use the paddle shifters if you need a faster change in speed. As for comfort, I love the mix of fabric and leather. I use the a/c frequently, despite the fact that it does hinder the gas mileage, but not all that much if used smartly. - I suggest using the economy setting (cycles the air inside, rather than pulling from outside) on super hot days, as it gives the a/c a bit of a break and takes less energy. Even with the a/c running, I still get great gas mileage! The Vehicle Stability Assist makes taking corners a smooth ride, especially since it's combined with the Electronic Brake Distribution. This means that each wheel has a sensor attached to it's brakes, so that if you're taking a corner too sharply, it will apply the appropriate brakes to the appropriate wheel. It does all the hard work for you! In regards to the small rear window - Yes, it's quite a bit smaller than most cars. HOWEVER, I have noticed that the driver's side mirror, when angled appropriately, can provide visibility both behind and to the side of the car... which means I don't really need to use the rear-view mirror at all. It also helps being used to only using the side mirrors, which in all reality, you might as well get used to it if you plan on taking full advantage of the trunk cargo space by moving larger objects. I enjoy having the steering wheel controls/ voice command controls for things like music, gps, and phone calls. That means I can be a safer driver since I'm not having to take my eyes off the road. Still, this car is for the ECONOMICALLY MINDED DRIVER. This is NOT a sports car. This car will train you to be a better driver economically wise (via color cues to good/bad gas driving habits). This car is not meant for those who want to just jump in and speed off. Those cars are for beginner drivers (not including professional race car drivers - they have a lot of controls to worry about). If you do that with this car, you have no right to complain about the lower gas mileage you'll be getting... or for any car, for that matter (as they post their gas mileage claims with ideal driving conditions). Also, if you want to get the most of the car, READ THE MANUAL! There's a lot going on under that hood! This car requires a committed driver who will adhere to the gas mileage cues and will handle the car (accelerating/braking, etc) appropriately. Treat the car nicely, and you'll be rewarded with awesome gas mileage. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. After calculating the gas consumption with my old car (and driving 200+ miles each day), I'm actually SAVING money despite the fact I now have monthly payments and an increase in car insurance. I'm essentially getting paid to own this car!"

Surprised

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Lots of hard plastic/cheap looking interior."

"I took a new position where I commute 160 miles a day, five days a week. Because of this I traded in my '06 Honda Civic SI that I loved to drive, for what I thought would be a boring, uncomfortable, but slightly more fuel efficient vehicle. After a slight adjustment period, I must say I truly love driving this car. It's attractive,comfortable, and gets great fuel mileage(48 on the Freeway in the summer 53 on the highway). I am surprised by how much I truly love to drive this car. Very satisfied with my purchase."

I love this car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park, fuel economy."

Cons: "No cons in my book!"

"I bought this car one year ago and have absolutely no complaints. It is very fun to drive and the fuel economy is wonderful. I had previously bought a Dodge (new) and had several issues with it. I was a little nervous about buying something and finding out it had a lot of little problems. Not so with the Insight! I have not had to take it in for ANY adjustments or problems."

great car

By on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"Great car would get another one but some things to watch for. No armrest or cruise control on LX modlel and poor sight of outside temp control from drivers seat. Needs to be able to raise steering wheel a little higher for 6 foot 1 inch frame."

Better then prius

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "comforte, handling, design"

Cons: "very low to ground"

"I got the insight because I drive a lot. I find that for the long haul the insight is much more comfortable then the prius, with a better ride, better handling, and better look. I average 47-53mph hwy and with the prius I was getting 48-53. I find the prius gets the same mileage all the time. With the insight your mileage is based on you driving style. It takes some getting used to... tho after a while I don't even notice the engine turning off and on. New passengers in my car are sometimes startled when I'm at a light and the engine turns off. Over all I recommend this car. Even with high gas prices I never spend more then 35$ to fill up and can go for a long time between fill ups."

My first Hybrid

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "MPG, look, technology, interior (I added leather)"

Cons: "Weight and size - no sunroof (Would add a lot)"

"I purchased my Insight in June of this year. It is my first Hybrid and I do like the "sportiness" of it. I have been getting in the city around 42-43 mpg, however, I did get it up to 48.7 yesterday for the first time! After you learn how the car works and drives, you can really pick up your MPG - it almost becomes a game. If I had to say what I don't like or takes some getting use to - is the size and weight of this car (or any car hybrid I guess), I still need to tackle my first Minnesota winter with the Insight - I wonder how that will go. The size makes it a little close (or closer then I am use to) in the car - but fits a passenger and a couple of medium size dogs very nicely. All in all I really do like the car and love playing the "MPG game" each time I drive it."

Great hybrid car for the money!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Great price, great mpg."

Cons: "Needs larger cup holders and more power outlets."

"I've had my insight for about 9 months and it has been a great car. The gas mileage is great. I get much higher than what is on the sticker. We just took a 1400 mile family trip and I averaged 50 mpg on the highway. I average about 43-45 mpg in town. It's very comparable to the Prius in that regard, but it also seems to have more room in the rear storage area for suitcases and such."

owned Hondas since 1976

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Good handling, make a game of getting high mpg"

Cons: "extremely cheap carpet, interior cheap look"

"This was a big step down from my wife's Accord but she wanted it over the Civic Hybrid because the Accords have gotten 2 big. I guess you can say we wanted to go back to our roots and this is a fun car to drive and play how high can you get your mpg, but you have to understand how to drive it.We live in the Raleigh area and she uses it to drive to work. Again you have to understand how to drive a underpowered auto, it is very underpowered so you have to make early decisions on acceleration, no rabbit starts, because it won't. We like it because you have to pay attention and drive defensively because the crazies out there don't. We tend to use back roads and streets and it gets better milage in that type of driving than interstate driving. It gets between 45-50 intown and 42-45 interstate driving. No maintenance problems and it will tell you when something needs attention. It's hard to beleive but the dealer actually has a competative oil change price, and since you have to drop a underpanel to get to the the oil filter plus it takes a special weight oil, so I let them do it."

Great Car!

By on Friday, December 03, 2010

"I only have this car for a few days, I got if for the mileage since I'm going to have a long commute from home to work. It was a rational decision based ONLY on the MPG rate. Did research the Prius but decided on the Insight since it was cheaper. I could not be more happier with this car! I love driving it and did not expect to like the car so much. I have the basic model which comes with a lot of features still. The seats are a little hard and not so confortable but I'm getting used to it!. It is fun do drive this car and the display gives you a lot of information which is also nice to keep track. I recommend."

OK for what it is

By on Monday, November 15, 2010

"The value is 3 or 4, because you pay extra for hybrid and the hybrid gets you good mileage, but winter mileage is below 40 and car is somewhat useless for long drives as it is uncomfortable. For me the quality is not the greatest as it is already making an annoying rattle/clunking noise at low speeds. Glove box door fit is not perfect. Performance is weak, but it is a 1.3L only. The comfort is OK for a driver, but horrible for backseat. Driver comfort lasts about 2 hours - what is the point of a Hybrid if it is terribly uncomfortable after only 2 hours. The car is "OK" - works well as a commuter if you are in the situation where you commute enough to take advantage of high mileage, but not so much where you need a more comfortable vehicle. If you need or want get up and go, this car does not deliver that either."

out of over one hundred vehicles this is the BEST

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Great little Car"

Cons: "Idle stop on too much"

"Very convenient dependable/economical sporty little car - If you need a City Commuter you can't go wrong - Sportier looking/driving than Prius, and far simpler mechanically. Yes you can feel the road - I like to! No the back seat is not for grown-ups - AND it is definitely NOT a Colorado Mountain/winter car like my Subaru Outbacks... I get 40 to 45 MPG ALWAYS in STOP/GO traffic - even when I drive quickly - The car is pleasant on the highway at 80 MPH too. AT it's BEST in town commuter driving...."

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I traded in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 for this car and I do miss my big truck but I love getting 48 mpg. I took a trip to NC from FL and avg about 43 mpg. The care does not have the most comfortable seats but it's not that big of an issue. I like how the inside looks and the available shift options. All in all this is a great car."

Love it!

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "good price, runs FOREVER"

Cons: "Blind spot, WORTHLESS cup holders."

"Great little car. I get 47-54 MPG ALL the time. I find that the ECO mode is only good for the HWY makes my MPG go down on hilly country roads. Cup holders are WORTHLESS and it does have a bad blind spot on the pass. side but you get used to it. Great car for work and school not recommended for busy parents running high school kids to sporting events with lots of gear."