2011 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Great Commuter Car

By on Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I purchased an Insight LX a couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it thus far. While I was originally planning to purchase a Prius, my wife already has a Prius and we decided that it would make more sense to get a smaller (and cheaper!) vehicle for my commute (about 12 miles each way). The insight is not going to blow anybody away performance-wise (although in sport mode with econ off it blows the Prius out of the water), but my 47.1 mpg average over about 6000 miles so far more than makes up for that. I haven't had any problems with the car, and find it to be generally comfortable and sort of fun to drive. I miss having a manual transmission, but the CVT in the Insight is, from what I hear, a necessity in terms of getting the maximum benefit from the hybrid system. While the Insight is small, its form factor makes it surprisingly versatile. I frequently need to move large boxes, and my dog's kennel, and have had no problems in that regard (far better than my old '08 civic). The car actually feels smallest in terms of its width, though other than sacrificing center console space, that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I definitely would not recommend this vehicle for anybody who routinely needs to have three people in the rear seat, although I've had two adult passengers in back on a few occasions and have had no complaints. The interior is definitely that of a budget vehicle, but is generally well-configured and attractive. I'm a huge fan of the hybrid-specific display readouts, which provide some useful fuel economy information and nice cues regarding real-time driving efficiency. In terms of features, the Insight EX and EX Nav are certainly more full-featured than my LX, but I can't complain too much (considering its purpose as a commuter vehicle). The LX lacks cruise control and variable intermittent wipers, but includes temperature-based climate control and an external temperature sensor, which I'm not used to seeing on base-level vehicles. All-in-all, I'm happy with my little Insight, and would highly recommend to others who are looking for an efficient, versatile, and relatively inexpensive vehicle."

3800 miles

By on Monday, February 1, 2010

"I have enjoyed my Insight which is my second hybrid. It is much better than the Civic hybrid that I drove for 6 years. My mileage is averaging 48.5 MPG for combined mileage. The hatchback has provided more than enough cargo space for me. The instrument panel and controls are very easily accessed and were a primary reason for me choosing the Insight over a Prius. The only negative at this point is the view of the speedometer. The steering wheel blocks a portion of the readout. This would vary with the tilting of the steering wheel and the individual's height."

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

Insight Base

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Let me start out with this is a Hybrid, if you are expecting a sports car like drive forget it. This car is all about great gas mileage if you drive it like it was designed. I bought this 2011 Base model because I was new to hybrids and did not want to spend more then I needed to to see how I would like it. Let me say, I am very impressed with the way this car handles, is put together, and the mileage I have been able to get so far a respectable 51.8 MPG by the MPG gauge. The car handles better then a Prius and is slightly smaller but does not get as good as mileage as the Prius. But in my case was 6500 dollars cheaper then the Prius 2, I was looking at. Do yourself a favor and test drive both, compare prices and make your decision. Can't go wrong with a Honda! I would buy this car again I like it so much."

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."

Nice car but please don't expect luxury!

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "GREAT mpg... The best, I guess"

Cons: "Very inexpensive interior materials..."

"I own this car for 1.5 years and drive it every day to work and around the area on weekends. Car is very efficient on fuel - on the highway it's 60 mpg, I am serious! Traffic takes it to 38 mpg with heating or airconditioning on. So, if you'd like to save on gas - this is the car! Car is great on turns, it sticks to the road like a glue. Interior wise, I am not impressed. The interior is very, very modest... Honda car should have more expensive materials, this one doesn't. Again, question yourself - what do I want from my car? My answer was - economy, reliable car. So... here I am! Please, read carefully maintenance instructions - dealer would recommend to change oil in 5,000 miles - that is NOT true. You should change it ONLY in 15,000 miles, so please save your money. I am a woman and I am very good with cars, so hope you guys will benefit from this review."

Best value for the fuel economy and comfort

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy, comfortable, affordable"

Cons: "Poor rear visibility, one cup holder blocked"

"I have a 45 minute commute to work everyday so I needed a car that was comfortable and had good fuel economy. This car is great! Pros: It is rated for 40-43 mpg but my commute is mostly flat, with mostly good weather (and I drive very efficiently) so I tend to get 55-60mpg on my commute. My overall average since I bought the car is 53.2mpg (including any interstate driving, bad weather, etc). I find the seats to be very comfortable and I really love the vents. I know that might be strange but I hate it when I have a hot spot where the sun is shining on me and the vents can't direct air to that spot. I am always the perfect temperature in the Insight. The hatchback/trunk area has a surprising amount of room and if you lay the seats down there is a good amount of height available too (my 75lb dog likes to ride back there and she can fully stand up in the back with no problems) There is a storage space under the trunk interior, surrounding the spare tire that is large enough to hold your jumper cables (you won't need them though), first aid kit, etc Having the usb charging/play cable inside the armrest console is pretty convenient. It keeps my mp3 player out of sight and out of the sun so I can leave it in there all the time. Front and side visibility is excellent and driving the car in general feels great. The car corners smoothly, has little road noise and reacts quickly to any driver inputs. I also love the convenience of the steering wheel radio controls, it lets me flip through all the stations without having to take my eyes off the road. The car is low and sleek enough to minimize drag and maximize fuel efficiency but is high enough off the ground that you will clear a standard parking stop - no need to worry about tearing off the bumper or anything crazy like that. Cons: The cons are very minimal but here are the only things I think Honda should try to improve: - The rear visibility is pretty poor, I always feel like i have a big blind spot back there no matter how much i adjust the mirrors - the AC/lighter outlet is directly above the driver's cup-holder so you can't charge your phone from that outlet if you have a drink in both cup-holders That's it! This is a great car. My last car was paid off and got about 22mpg. With this car, my gas cost plus car payment is only $100/month more than the cost of my last car (which had no car payment). The maintenance costs a little more but it needs less maintenance so you don't experience any added cost there. I think anyone who has a commute would love this car!"

One year old

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"Insight is good on gas and easy on the wallet. Not good choice for taller people commuting long distances. Uncomfortable after long commute. Noisy on Interstate. Good pep in Sports Mode. Like the features and design of the car. Driver seat is comfortable just not enough leg room."

Happy with hybrid

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Good car for someone looking for a responsive, fun to drive, tight handling compact car. Paddle shifters, hand brake are nice for an ex-std driver. Dashboard display is much better than Prius high center console. Getting 47MPG in mixed suburban driving. Eco assist system really does improve driving habits. Rear view is helped by oversized mirrors and low second rear window. Driver's seat quite comfortable and rear seat room has been fine for the adults that have ridden in back. Hybrid control displays bring interest to driving that is good for someone used to a manual. Tight turning radius makes car manuverable in parking lots. I highly recommend this car."

Best choice on the market

By on Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"I put alot of miles on my vehicles in a short time. I chose the Insight over the Prius and Fusion for several reasons. Reason 1 - Unlike the Prius its not in the media for having issues. Though I realize the media most likely blew things out of proportion. Reason 2 - Fuel consumption. Yes I know the Prius gets better fuel mileage. But when you do a cost analysis you would have to drive over 40 thousand miles before a break even point. Reason 3- My Insight is the EX with Nav. to get these features on a Prius or Fusion it would cost over $28,000. I picked up my NEW not used Insight EX w/Nav with floor mats, splash guards, cargo tray, and tinted windows for $22,000. Ford and Toyota couldn't touch this. Plus 1.9% APR for 60 months. Now that's a great deal!!!!"

great car! great mileage!

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "competitively priced/great mileage/low maint."

Cons: "tires wear more rapidly than standard vehicles"

"I bought this car new in Fall '09. It's great! I drive over 100 miles per day for work and can go several days without stopping at the gas station (and when I DO stop, it only takes 10-12 gal. of gas max!). Car uses regular unleaded. Most oil-change places stock the oil filter, most tire stores can get the low-profile tires within a day. Comfy front seats, less comfortable back seats, great heating/cooling, audio speaker distribution. "Sport" mode is fun when you feel like 'shifting gears'. Easy trunk access due to flat/low back. Tons of room for gear with rear seats down."

Honda quality!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage, everything!"

Cons: "haven't found the con yet"

"I have the 2012 and average 48 mpg. The car is much quieter than the previous models. This is a hybrid so don't buy this car if you want to go 1-100 in a few seconds. I average 70 miles a day in my car. Does great in the stop and go traffic. Gets the 48 mpg with cruise set at 72mph. Navigation map is great as is shows congestion and construction. Back up camera was a great add. Can fill up for about $30 (gas $3.85 per gal) and go right at 500 miles. The only downsize is the leg room in the back seat... children are ok... tall adults not so much."

Its way understated!

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "great price great on gas"

"My 2013 Insight averages 50.3 MPG! The salesman at the dealer told me it gets 50 MPG and I had doubts but he was correct...this is a great car! The milage per gallon is way way understated!"

The Honda insight has one perpose

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "great looks, great at the pumps, ITS HONDA"

Cons: "not enough power, to spongie"

"the insight is a lot of fun on the inside and looks sharp from the out side. we left from lake tahoe the other day and made it to san diago on $60 and that is all the way to the port for our cruise. this car isnt the best road trip car i must admit. the driver seat is shaped a little odd for me. ( im 5'11 @190lbs) the paddle shfter is fun long as yer not going up hill. the poor little 1.3 just doesn't have the power for the mountains.out on the hwys though the car is awsome on gas! this is its bread and butter. it is a comuter car. the handling is way to soft. Eibach makes a spring kit for $200 that is more than worth the money! and having a set of tires for summer driving would best 205-40-r17 or r16"

2012 Insight EX no NAV, practical, Fun, gas sipper

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Bluetooth, Price, fuel, style, reputation, Fun2drv"

Cons: "USB only works with thumbdrive or IPOD, add more."

"I must admit that over the years I have grown to appreciate the core qualities of Hondas and I realize that there are tradeoffs in life. (One major trade off when it comes to cars is the more moving parts you have typically the more problems you have). I have owned Chryslers (Jeep Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee (both receive a failing score in my book because of Chrysler / Jeeps failure to fix known commonly reported issues model year, after model year)), Hondas (Accords, Odyssey (passed)), and Mercedes ((failed) should have never merged with Chrysler, quality suffered) and I have driven a lot of Fords, GM’s Hyundai’s, etc… as rentals. But when all things are considered I am always drawn back to Hondas. Not that they are perfect, they have issues with engine mounts from time to time. But because they are reasonably priced, the service and repair cost are reasonable and they are reliable and generally comfortable. I think that the most important thing that you get when you purchase a Honda is knowing that they listen, and respond accordingly when things are brought to their attention. With my new Insight I did hear a whistling noise when driving between 60 and 70 MPH and when I went back to the dealership the service guys acknowledged that there was a service bulletin out on that (trim at the top of the windshield need some more glue) and they fixed it and provided me with a loaner. My other car is a 2009 Mercedes Benz R350. What more can you ask for?"

economical hybrid gives good value for cost

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "price, mpg, quiet, comfortable, peppy, stylish,"

Cons: "little rear seat room, no toys, need snow tires"

"A very basic car as far as toys are concerned; but car is quiet, has great city and highway mpg, holds a lot in the hatchback, gives driver good all around visibility, especially to the rear; seats are comfortable in front, tight in back; drives okay in snow except it slides on icy streets; snow tires recommended for snowy city driving."

My Insight has been problem free and a GREAT value

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas mileage, power ,room with hatchback"

Cons: "no cruise control, light interior gets dirty quick"

"Other than missing an armrest compartment and no cruise(LX model)I'm thrilled with this problem free car-even without the EX models slip diff- with 4 Blizzaks I went thru the snow with no problem in upstate NY's lake effect snowbelt. plenty of power to pass, and 43ish mpg to boot (a little lower with the snow tires on) I leased this car but will probably buy it at lease end, so I can continue to avoid the repair shop!!!!! The hatchback is soo roomy I moved a clothes dryer in it(hatch wasn't closed)"

Great MPG and very reliable !! Get one.....

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "A real gas saver....and roomy for a hybrid."

Cons: "Needs better quality interior fabric & floor mats."

"Have owned a 2010 Insight for 2 years with 38k miles and have averaged 43-45 mpg. Only issue was a molding on roof that would blow off in high wind and now that warranty is up rear shocks are starting to leak. Can get over 50 mpg going 55 mph. I have had a Prius before and had a bad battery smell on interior that we couldn't get rid of. I drove the newer Prius and even though I liked the design better the Insight was much more spacious in divers seat.....Prius felt crowded. Overall all a great hybrid and worth every penny."

Great Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I've had this vehicle since 09/2009 and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned! I've had luxury cars with the leather interior and moon/sunroofs and by far this a way better purchase. I had done my research on purchasing a hybrid vehicle and was stuck between the Insight and Prius. After much thought, I decided on the Insight and it has delivery 3 fold. The est EPA of 40/43 is way under estimate. I mostly put 20 highway miles to and from daily and at the end of 2 weeks, I still have 1/4 tank of gas left. I've done the calculation myself so not to trust the car's calculation on the dash and just like it states, I'm getting 50 miles per gallon!! Also this is considering that I drive in Miami traffic and can't really hypermile like others may in other cities. Also, I find it worth considering that this vehicle only has about 10 gallons to fill in comparison with the Prius's 13 while still getting the same amount of gas mileage. Personally I way prefer to have a smaller gas tank with the same amount of mileage. At the end of the day, I would want to have the extra cash in my pocket rather than prepaying for an extra 3 gallons of gas. If Honda can make an even smaller gas tank and higher gas mileage ... i.e. 7 gallons and 60 miles/gallon ... that would be even better!! The seats do take a little getting use to. In particular, if you're a female that likes to pick up her hair the head restraint will push your head forward and not allow the extra space between your head and ponytail! I make it a habit to not pick up my hair in the car. Also, in the beginning, my body would feel a little tired from the trips, maybe because of the lack of stuffing in the seats, but it's amazing how your body gets use to it. It's really not that bad. Oh yeah, and if you're thinking of carrying 4 adults in this vehicle I would highly not suggest it, as it may be uncomfortable for your guests. Though this can be an obvious con, the pro is that you're go-to excuse can be that you don't mind driving but that everyone might be uncomfortable in your car as it's a little packed in there. You'd be surprised how quickly you won't be the driver for any occasion and hence save yourself even MORE gas! LOL. Enjoy!"

44MPG, NOT! 55-57MPG normal highway mileage

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Price, durability, cost to operate, fit & finish"

Cons: "Noisy! no power seat option"

"Bought to commute 134 miles per day, much less $$$ than Prius, has performed flawlessly, back to dealer for oil and filter changes only. Not really big enough for 6'4" 275#, but reasonably comfortable. At 65,000 still have 1/2 tread on tires, rides a little firm and handling is not at all sporty, but hey, it is a compact economy car, right? This was my first Honda, and I am a fan."

Economically and Environmentally Sound

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "10,000 cheaper than a Prius"

Cons: "large blind spots, only one recharging station"

"I have enjoyed an average of 45-50 mpg in mostly CITY driving. I love the handling and reliability of this car. At 5'11 though the low seats have taken a toll on my lower back, especially if I do any long distance traveling. The driver seat can be raised somewhat, but the passenger side not at all. I am not sure if it is due to my height, but there have been several occassions when I have had near misses with other vehicles because of large blind spots, which has included the rearview mirror. The back seat offers more space than expected. There is plently of room for hauling various items in the back. For long trips the lack of available outlets for recharging phones, etc. has been extremely inconvenient."

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"I have had this car for a year and a half now and i can honestly say that it's been the best purchase i've ever made. Always get better MPG than the EPA est. MPG. Dash is beautful and interior is nice. Handles well in all weather conditions. Already have 45k miles on it and it runs great. Would recommend this car to anyone as a commuter. Glad i chose this hybrid over the Prius."

Great little car - may have saved my life.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Safety, MPG, roominess"

Cons: "Low to moderate acceleration, no bells or whistles"

"I bought this car used about a year ago. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. You can read about the features of the car so I will just touch on the ones that impressed me the most. First it is a surprisingly roomy car. I am 6'2" tall and a big man. The drivers seat accommodates me with room to spare. The gas mileage is excellent. While I don't get the full mileage rating, I still do very well on the mileage averaging 38 MPG. The car is a little slow on pickup but it sufficient for merging into traffic and passing other cars on the highway. It is a minimalist car in that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles but what it does offer is plenty for me. Now the big part. Car safety. The Insight is rated 9.4-9.7 out of 10 on safety rating. A few days ago I was involved in an accident where the car rolled over on its roof. I an my 7 year old son were in the car. My son was in a rear seat in a booster seat. We were both wearing seatbelts. The car had some denting and very slight crushing on the roof though the passenger compartment was intact and showed very little interior damage due to the crash in the front seats. The windshield cracked but did not shatter. The area over the rear seats was perfectly intact and showed no damage whatsoever. My son was able to undo his seatbelt and scramble out to safety out of a window that first responders had broken with no injuries. Because of my size I was stuck in the driver's seat and had to be extricated by the fire department and the jaws of life. They essentially cut off the doors. I sustained minor injuries, specifically some lacerations and of course I was sore from the motion and shock of the car rolling over. If you discount the fact the doors needed to be cut off, the damage to the car was not that severe. So was the car safe? Absolutely and it was graphically proven to me in my accident. Would I buy another Insight. Yes I would. Not only because of the low purchase price, high MPG and comfort but most importantly for the safety of the car. Thank you Honda Insight for keeping my son and I free from serious injuries."

Falls short of expectations

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "good MPG"

Cons: "technology features"

"I used to own the 2001 Honda Insight... the two-seater. After 239k, I decided to get the 2011 Insight. More seats was an equal trade-off to less MPG. Aside from more room, it fell short with every feature it provided in comparison to other makes that offer the same features. Variable Transmission Putting the car into gear prompted a few second delay. So if you put the car in Drive, and placed you foot on the throttle, it would rev the engine and then 'jump' into gear. You had to wait. The engine was also not responsive coming out of a stop. NAVIGATION It only offered "easy, direct, maximize freeways" routing methods. Garmin and Tomtom are able to rout the fastest route. I tested my built-in Honda nav against my dashboard Garmin, and the Garmin consistently saved 20-35 minutes of drive time to get from north detroit to ann arbor mi. The Honda Nav would take you on routes that made absolutely no sense if you knew better. MP3/USB You can plug on a flash drive or thumb stick into the car to play music. On the stereo, the folders and track names come up. Scrolling through them was a pain because the screen's reaction (loading time) took forever... to the point where I don't like using it. This was an essential feature I wanted in my car, and it was simply disappointing. The dash located behind the wheel had to be toggled every time you run the car to get the one screen you prefer to be up at all times. This was just a small hassle. BRAKES the brakes were spongy and soft and seem to take longer to come to a stop than most other cars."

Best Honda I have owned.

By on Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pros: "Styling. Quality. Price. Gas mileage. Safety"

Cons: "Not available in a 2 door coupe."

"I have owned four Honda Civics since 1998 and my one month old 2013 Insight LX is excellent in all respects. I am 6'1" tall and have ample head and leg room. The interior and exterior quality is excellent and the gas mileage (average of 50+ mpg in city and highway driving) is great. Before buying the Insight I test drove two 2013 Prius's and chose the Insight as I believe it looks nicer, drives better, and costs less. The Insight's "Econ" function is useful too. Finally, I feel safe in my Insight (even though it is small) as I was made aware of its advanced safety features and know it has been highly rated in crash tests."