• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 134 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"I shopped and thought about this car for a year before i bought it. I love it, and i have relearned how to drive. Actually, correctly. No stop, go, hurry then stop. Because i want to get my "Eco" Grade high and get the best milage. The best so far is 44, that is a combination of in town and home 23 miles away. It is sporty, comfortable, great readability on the dash. The only complaint that i have is that the computer milage is not true. My readings have been the old fashioned way. Also, the summer air conditioning use brings the milage down to 36 to 39, and you can't use the Eco mode, cause the A/C shuts off when vehicle stops. But i have had my car for over a year, and i love it."

Stylish and ECO Friendly

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Great fuel friendly auto with stylish looks. This car is more like a video game than a car. You earn icons depending on how well you drive. This car actually teaches you how to drive smart with its light changing speedometer (blue for bad, green for good). I would recommend this car highly!"

Great little car - may have saved my life.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Safety, MPG, roominess"

Cons: "Low to moderate acceleration, no bells or whistles"

"I bought this car used about a year ago. It had less than 10,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. You can read about the features of the car so I will just touch on the ones that impressed me the most. First it is a surprisingly roomy car. I am 6'2" tall and a big man. The drivers seat accommodates me with room to spare. The gas mileage is excellent. While I don't get the full mileage rating, I still do very well on the mileage averaging 38 MPG. The car is a little slow on pickup but it sufficient for merging into traffic and passing other cars on the highway. It is a minimalist car in that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles but what it does offer is plenty for me. Now the big part. Car safety. The Insight is rated 9.4-9.7 out of 10 on safety rating. A few days ago I was involved in an accident where the car rolled over on its roof. I an my 7 year old son were in the car. My son was in a rear seat in a booster seat. We were both wearing seatbelts. The car had some denting and very slight crushing on the roof though the passenger compartment was intact and showed very little interior damage due to the crash in the front seats. The windshield cracked but did not shatter. The area over the rear seats was perfectly intact and showed no damage whatsoever. My son was able to undo his seatbelt and scramble out to safety out of a window that first responders had broken with no injuries. Because of my size I was stuck in the driver's seat and had to be extricated by the fire department and the jaws of life. They essentially cut off the doors. I sustained minor injuries, specifically some lacerations and of course I was sore from the motion and shock of the car rolling over. If you discount the fact the doors needed to be cut off, the damage to the car was not that severe. So was the car safe? Absolutely and it was graphically proven to me in my accident. Would I buy another Insight. Yes I would. Not only because of the low purchase price, high MPG and comfort but most importantly for the safety of the car. Thank you Honda Insight for keeping my son and I free from serious injuries."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Great economy, excellent handling."

Cons: "Uncomfortable accrlerator position for my build."

"This car is far better performing than most of the reviews I have read. The paddle shifters are exciting to use and almost as good as a sports car. The economy is excellent and I have pictures of the mileage readout as high as 50 mpg while driving through the dense traffic of Orlando, Fl. with an overall average from coast to coast (in Florida)of 48 mpg. The navigation system projects a map on the screen but is not as easy to follow as a Magellan gps. I especially appreciate the hands free cell phone connection, but it seems sensitive to road vibration."

47 mpg 7spd paddle shifters Cool looks load It up

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Great car for everyday commute (60 miles per day) everything you need, 47 mpg that is city and highway combined. Airbags, not two wheels with a helmet to get that mpg safe to drive in rush hour stop and go traffic. Hook up the IPod and Go along way on a tank. Low gear for the snow. Honda Quality."

Great Econmy

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"The does what I expected. Great mileage, nice features, handles well. I first drove it to conserve gas, but found the gas mileage to be only slightly less when driving more agressively. The car has good acceleration when you step on it. I would recommnd the car for commuting, but don't plan on putting 4 adults in it comfortably."

Great car for delivery driving

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg, good price, comfortable, stylish"

Cons: "Requires reading the manual for best usage"

"I have the EX w/Navi model of this car. I've looked at several reviews, and decided that if I was going to get this car, I wanted the additional features. I haven't been disappointed! I am a delivery driver, and average about 200 miles per day - including both highway and city driving. I bought this car for it's awesome gas mileage for BOTH city and highway (40+city, 44+highway), and haven't been disappointed. I have read several reviews about problems with braking in time. After READING the owners manual, it turns out that if you put the car into 'S' gear, you get more power for acceleration and braking (confirmed). Go figure - reading how something works... Also, if you don't tailgate, you'll have plenty of room to stop anyways. :P Problem solved. I've used several opportunities to play with different combinations of driving style during my deliveries. The best combination thus far (for me) would be this: In CITY DRIVING, short distances and less than 40mph - use the 'S' gear. This keeps the engine running at stop signs/lights, so you don't have to worry about the engine turning back on if you're in a hurry. Paddle shifters are optional for faster acceleration, but really, how fast do you need to accelerate in traffic? Getting on ramps, sure, but otherwise no. If you use the 'D' gear in city, I can see how people might be annoyed by the continual starting/stopping of the engine. Even so, it's a smooth transition and you don't really notice it after a while. I still suggest the 'S' gear however. On HIGHWAY DRIVING, long distance and more than 40mph - use the 'D' gear. You'll get better gas mileage, and you can still use the paddle shifters if you need a faster change in speed. As for comfort, I love the mix of fabric and leather. I use the a/c frequently, despite the fact that it does hinder the gas mileage, but not all that much if used smartly. - I suggest using the economy setting (cycles the air inside, rather than pulling from outside) on super hot days, as it gives the a/c a bit of a break and takes less energy. Even with the a/c running, I still get great gas mileage! The Vehicle Stability Assist makes taking corners a smooth ride, especially since it's combined with the Electronic Brake Distribution. This means that each wheel has a sensor attached to it's brakes, so that if you're taking a corner too sharply, it will apply the appropriate brakes to the appropriate wheel. It does all the hard work for you! In regards to the small rear window - Yes, it's quite a bit smaller than most cars. HOWEVER, I have noticed that the driver's side mirror, when angled appropriately, can provide visibility both behind and to the side of the car... which means I don't really need to use the rear-view mirror at all. It also helps being used to only using the side mirrors, which in all reality, you might as well get used to it if you plan on taking full advantage of the trunk cargo space by moving larger objects. I enjoy having the steering wheel controls/ voice command controls for things like music, gps, and phone calls. That means I can be a safer driver since I'm not having to take my eyes off the road. Still, this car is for the ECONOMICALLY MINDED DRIVER. This is NOT a sports car. This car will train you to be a better driver economically wise (via color cues to good/bad gas driving habits). This car is not meant for those who want to just jump in and speed off. Those cars are for beginner drivers (not including professional race car drivers - they have a lot of controls to worry about). If you do that with this car, you have no right to complain about the lower gas mileage you'll be getting... or for any car, for that matter (as they post their gas mileage claims with ideal driving conditions). Also, if you want to get the most of the car, READ THE MANUAL! There's a lot going on under that hood! This car requires a committed driver who will adhere to the gas mileage cues and will handle the car (accelerating/braking, etc) appropriately. Treat the car nicely, and you'll be rewarded with awesome gas mileage. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. After calculating the gas consumption with my old car (and driving 200+ miles each day), I'm actually SAVING money despite the fact I now have monthly payments and an increase in car insurance. I'm essentially getting paid to own this car!"

Surprised

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Lots of hard plastic/cheap looking interior."

"I took a new position where I commute 160 miles a day, five days a week. Because of this I traded in my '06 Honda Civic SI that I loved to drive, for what I thought would be a boring, uncomfortable, but slightly more fuel efficient vehicle. After a slight adjustment period, I must say I truly love driving this car. It's attractive,comfortable, and gets great fuel mileage(48 on the Freeway in the summer 53 on the highway). I am surprised by how much I truly love to drive this car. Very satisfied with my purchase."

I love this car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park, fuel economy."

Cons: "No cons in my book!"

"I bought this car one year ago and have absolutely no complaints. It is very fun to drive and the fuel economy is wonderful. I had previously bought a Dodge (new) and had several issues with it. I was a little nervous about buying something and finding out it had a lot of little problems. Not so with the Insight! I have not had to take it in for ANY adjustments or problems."

great car

By on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"Great car would get another one but some things to watch for. No armrest or cruise control on LX modlel and poor sight of outside temp control from drivers seat. Needs to be able to raise steering wheel a little higher for 6 foot 1 inch frame."

Better then prius

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "comforte, handling, design"

Cons: "very low to ground"

"I got the insight because I drive a lot. I find that for the long haul the insight is much more comfortable then the prius, with a better ride, better handling, and better look. I average 47-53mph hwy and with the prius I was getting 48-53. I find the prius gets the same mileage all the time. With the insight your mileage is based on you driving style. It takes some getting used to... tho after a while I don't even notice the engine turning off and on. New passengers in my car are sometimes startled when I'm at a light and the engine turns off. Over all I recommend this car. Even with high gas prices I never spend more then 35$ to fill up and can go for a long time between fill ups."

My first Hybrid

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "MPG, look, technology, interior (I added leather)"

Cons: "Weight and size - no sunroof (Would add a lot)"

"I purchased my Insight in June of this year. It is my first Hybrid and I do like the "sportiness" of it. I have been getting in the city around 42-43 mpg, however, I did get it up to 48.7 yesterday for the first time! After you learn how the car works and drives, you can really pick up your MPG - it almost becomes a game. If I had to say what I don't like or takes some getting use to - is the size and weight of this car (or any car hybrid I guess), I still need to tackle my first Minnesota winter with the Insight - I wonder how that will go. The size makes it a little close (or closer then I am use to) in the car - but fits a passenger and a couple of medium size dogs very nicely. All in all I really do like the car and love playing the "MPG game" each time I drive it."

Great hybrid car for the money!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Great price, great mpg."

Cons: "Needs larger cup holders and more power outlets."

"I've had my insight for about 9 months and it has been a great car. The gas mileage is great. I get much higher than what is on the sticker. We just took a 1400 mile family trip and I averaged 50 mpg on the highway. I average about 43-45 mpg in town. It's very comparable to the Prius in that regard, but it also seems to have more room in the rear storage area for suitcases and such."

owned Hondas since 1976

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Good handling, make a game of getting high mpg"

Cons: "extremely cheap carpet, interior cheap look"

"This was a big step down from my wife's Accord but she wanted it over the Civic Hybrid because the Accords have gotten 2 big. I guess you can say we wanted to go back to our roots and this is a fun car to drive and play how high can you get your mpg, but you have to understand how to drive it.We live in the Raleigh area and she uses it to drive to work. Again you have to understand how to drive a underpowered auto, it is very underpowered so you have to make early decisions on acceleration, no rabbit starts, because it won't. We like it because you have to pay attention and drive defensively because the crazies out there don't. We tend to use back roads and streets and it gets better milage in that type of driving than interstate driving. It gets between 45-50 intown and 42-45 interstate driving. No maintenance problems and it will tell you when something needs attention. It's hard to beleive but the dealer actually has a competative oil change price, and since you have to drop a underpanel to get to the the oil filter plus it takes a special weight oil, so I let them do it."

OK for what it is

By on Monday, November 15, 2010

"The value is 3 or 4, because you pay extra for hybrid and the hybrid gets you good mileage, but winter mileage is below 40 and car is somewhat useless for long drives as it is uncomfortable. For me the quality is not the greatest as it is already making an annoying rattle/clunking noise at low speeds. Glove box door fit is not perfect. Performance is weak, but it is a 1.3L only. The comfort is OK for a driver, but horrible for backseat. Driver comfort lasts about 2 hours - what is the point of a Hybrid if it is terribly uncomfortable after only 2 hours. The car is "OK" - works well as a commuter if you are in the situation where you commute enough to take advantage of high mileage, but not so much where you need a more comfortable vehicle. If you need or want get up and go, this car does not deliver that either."

out of over one hundred vehicles this is the BEST

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Great little Car"

Cons: "Idle stop on too much"

"Very convenient dependable/economical sporty little car - If you need a City Commuter you can't go wrong - Sportier looking/driving than Prius, and far simpler mechanically. Yes you can feel the road - I like to! No the back seat is not for grown-ups - AND it is definitely NOT a Colorado Mountain/winter car like my Subaru Outbacks... I get 40 to 45 MPG ALWAYS in STOP/GO traffic - even when I drive quickly - The car is pleasant on the highway at 80 MPH too. AT it's BEST in town commuter driving...."

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I traded in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 for this car and I do miss my big truck but I love getting 48 mpg. I took a trip to NC from FL and avg about 43 mpg. The care does not have the most comfortable seats but it's not that big of an issue. I like how the inside looks and the available shift options. All in all this is a great car."

<3 my insight

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"I am in love with this car so far. It is so comfortable, it drives like a dream, and it is beautifully designed. I am always being asked why didn't you buy a prius? Well, for one, the prius looks like it has a crooked nose, and two its alot more expensive. I love the half leather half recycled cloth interior, i love the custom mats that I got with it and the mud protection add-ons (especially for Oregon). I really like the hatchback design. I've never had one, but you can fit an army in the back. My dog does not fit in the back however, he hits his head haha. So i purchased a Dickies back seat cover to protect my backseat from him. The inside is so nice and the comfort level is through the roof. The only thing I would say is that it is a little bit complicated trying to figure out the controls. Such as resetting the oil life indicator. Having trouble with that but I will figure it out!!!"

Solid buy

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "relatively cheap, fun to drive, fuel efficient"

Cons: "no frills, can get cramped for bigger folks"

"All hybrids basically get compared to the Prius. In my experience the insight is cheaper, better looking, and funner to drive. Not to mention that it gets better mileage depending how you drive it. It's smaller, and pretty spartan when it comes to features, but it's got a simplicity and feel that I found superior. The dashboard is not that fancy but it has a very simple fuel economy indicator, when you're driving efficiently the speedometer is green, inefficiently it's blue. I've found that to be a great driving trainer, so far I've been able to keep my MPG around 52 in the summer and 47 in the winter. It's a smaller car, and I'm a tall guy, so there's little room for backseat passengers. Overall I'm very happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, cheap hybrid."

A Great Car with One Major Exception

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Looks Great! High Quality Feel. Navigation/Camera."

Cons: "IMA - Integrated Motor Assist - Horrible."

"Overall this is a very nice car. It looks great. I like the sharp wedge design, the chrome and blue accents, the wheels, the color (bright red). The interior materials and ergonomics are very good. The navigation system is mostly very good. I have only one complaint about the music file player and that is that clicking the forward and back (track) buttons do not work the way they should. If I double click the back button I should be at the beginning of the previous song. But I am not. The major complaint I have about this car is the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system. It is horrible. If I had drove this car before I bought it I might have re-considered. Once they put the Earth Dreams engine into this car, it will be fantastic! I am hoping that happens soon. I say, spend a little more and get the new Accord Hybrid. The Earth Dreams engine seems to be a vast improvement over the IMA."

Great Value

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"We have bought this 2010 Honda Insight brand new and have put in 22 k miles on it. Its is fantastic on gas. Extremely reliable. Some hints of "economy" in the interior but otherwise nicely designed inside"

fuel efficient to a point but uncomfortable

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "reasonably good fuel efficiency, good handling"

Cons: "uncomfortable ride"

"This would be a great car for a flat, southern locale (e.g. Florida). Fuel efficiency is bad for hilly terrain and decreases by about 5 mpg in winter. For a 50/50 street/rural highway combination, the mpg was about 46 mpg (rural locale). The car is uncomfortable for long trips, sprung very hard. However it does handle nicely."

I love this car!

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "Great mpg, looks good, fun to drive"

Cons: "Interior noise a little high"

"Over the past year and a half, I have gotten between 44 and 48 mpg. I check the mileage every fill-up. This car has helped me learn to drive more efficiently and effectively. It's fun to drive...it actually corners better than all of the Civics I ever had. (5 of them.) If you want the good fuel economy, you need to learn to drive it correctly. If you're a pedal to the metal person who still wants 45 mpg, this isn't the car for you. I'm a big fan of trying to do my part for the environment...and along the way, I'm saving a ton of money on gas!"

Best Car

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"I have seen one of the best Honda model in car industry. Ver nice immedeate pick up, when you drive at the 90 or 100 MPH speed you feel that your car speed run on 50 MPH. Very smooth running. Devdatt"

If you hate it, don't buy it as will last forever.

By on Sunday, May 10, 2015

Pros: "Probably cheapest car too own."

Cons: "Where is the fun?"

"My 2011 Insight base has 212000 miles and not a single problem other than normal wear and tear. Averaging 48mpg over life of car. Build is so solid as if car was molded from one piece. Nor squeak nor rattle of any kind. Car has been cheap to maintain. Oil changes come about 12k. Serpentine belt changed at 200k. Brake pads and shoes also lasted 200k. Oem tires worn out at 30k. Replacement Ecopias lasted 100k. I use Nitto SN2 winter tires, excellent traction over frozen stuff.. Battery still strong. Cvt still sliky smooth. Now the bad. Eight, yes eight spark plugs on 4 cylinder engine only pricey maintenance at 105k and 210k. Handling like driving in mud.Car cant even hold a straight line. Slow slow and slow. Above 65mph engine makes a racket. Cramped interior especially back seats."