2010 Honda Insight

8.4

Based on 139 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Great Commuter Car

By on Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I purchased an Insight LX a couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it thus far. While I was originally planning to purchase a Prius, my wife already has a Prius and we decided that it would make more sense to get a smaller (and cheaper!) vehicle for my commute (about 12 miles each way). The insight is not going to blow anybody away performance-wise (although in sport mode with econ off it blows the Prius out of the water), but my 47.1 mpg average over about 6000 miles so far more than makes up for that. I haven't had any problems with the car, and find it to be generally comfortable and sort of fun to drive. I miss having a manual transmission, but the CVT in the Insight is, from what I hear, a necessity in terms of getting the maximum benefit from the hybrid system. While the Insight is small, its form factor makes it surprisingly versatile. I frequently need to move large boxes, and my dog's kennel, and have had no problems in that regard (far better than my old '08 civic). The car actually feels smallest in terms of its width, though other than sacrificing center console space, that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I definitely would not recommend this vehicle for anybody who routinely needs to have three people in the rear seat, although I've had two adult passengers in back on a few occasions and have had no complaints. The interior is definitely that of a budget vehicle, but is generally well-configured and attractive. I'm a huge fan of the hybrid-specific display readouts, which provide some useful fuel economy information and nice cues regarding real-time driving efficiency. In terms of features, the Insight EX and EX Nav are certainly more full-featured than my LX, but I can't complain too much (considering its purpose as a commuter vehicle). The LX lacks cruise control and variable intermittent wipers, but includes temperature-based climate control and an external temperature sensor, which I'm not used to seeing on base-level vehicles. All-in-all, I'm happy with my little Insight, and would highly recommend to others who are looking for an efficient, versatile, and relatively inexpensive vehicle."

3800 miles

By on Monday, February 1, 2010

"I have enjoyed my Insight which is my second hybrid. It is much better than the Civic hybrid that I drove for 6 years. My mileage is averaging 48.5 MPG for combined mileage. The hatchback has provided more than enough cargo space for me. The instrument panel and controls are very easily accessed and were a primary reason for me choosing the Insight over a Prius. The only negative at this point is the view of the speedometer. The steering wheel blocks a portion of the readout. This would vary with the tilting of the steering wheel and the individual's height."

Underrated

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Super reliable, off the scale fuel economy,"

Cons: "No leather heated seats."

"Great car for the money. Not many out there which is nice to have a hybrid that nobody seems to know exists. I have averaged 46 mpg city highway combined. Took it on a 300 mile trip in zero degree weather to Northern Maine loaded with two people and ski gear, we 80 mph most of the way and it still got 41mpg!! If carefull I can push mid 50's mpg with no problem. I am 6ft guy and this car has plenty of space. Fold down rear seat allows tons of cargo room. I put a hitch on mine and have a bike rack and a 4x8 utility trailer which allows me to move just about anything I need to. I think this is a better car than the ratings are showing. The dealer was willing to deal because of low sales figures. My gain. 50k miles and no problems to date. Drives as new. My first Honda. Hard to fault a car that runs perfect gets great mileage, handles great, fit and finish is perfect. Low cost people mover. Why be a hostage to gas prices?"

Insight Base

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Let me start out with this is a Hybrid, if you are expecting a sports car like drive forget it. This car is all about great gas mileage if you drive it like it was designed. I bought this 2011 Base model because I was new to hybrids and did not want to spend more then I needed to to see how I would like it. Let me say, I am very impressed with the way this car handles, is put together, and the mileage I have been able to get so far a respectable 51.8 MPG by the MPG gauge. The car handles better then a Prius and is slightly smaller but does not get as good as mileage as the Prius. But in my case was 6500 dollars cheaper then the Prius 2, I was looking at. Do yourself a favor and test drive both, compare prices and make your decision. Can't go wrong with a Honda! I would buy this car again I like it so much."

Good choice for $4.00/gal gas

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "More fun to drive than the Prius I test drove."

Cons: "Don't know how long the eco seat fabric will last."

"I purchased this car to replace a 1996 Civic that I used for running around the city. Although similarly sized, there is a world of difference. The Civic would get around 28 mpg on the highway. But with little regard to conservative driving, the Insight gets me 51 mpg on the same hwy route - with more comfort."