2010 Honda Insight

8.3

Based on 126 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

great for the $$$$

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great for the $$$$"

"Great deal, reliable, knock of similar prius, but $3000 cheaper. Never had any major issues."

the 2012 insight ex model great miles 50 plus

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Pros: "fun car"

Cons: "cup holders not good placnent for us"

"the overall car is great wife drives 80 miles a day just loves the car from driver seat every thing is total reachable but at about 60000 miles car is burning oil wish i could a fix.do not want to give up car"

Overall Great! But...not great for hills

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

"I have had this car for 2 1/2 years now, I went from a tiny gas guzzling VW. Overall, I really like the car, I haven't had any real issues with it. In the first year or so, I did experience some "whistling" when I drove over 70mph but it seemed to go away over time. It was really annoying though at first. My only major complaint about this car is that it's NOT made for steep hills. I spent the first 2.2yrs living in Los Angeles, I didn't have any really issues since there were VERY rare occasions where I was stuck on a steep hill, and it would roll back, so I'd scramble for the e-brake and hope for the best. I just however, moved to Seattle, the land of steep hills. It's been absolutely terrifying to drive!! I've rolled back multiple times now and its SO scary. It also jerks (almost like a manual) when you try and recover from the rolling. Just not good. Alas, this car is not made for someone living in Seattle and I am looking to trade in for something "hill friendly" so I can navigate the city without fearing my life (or someone elses!) If you live somewhere relatively flat, I HIGHLY recommend this car!"

Great commuter car

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "EPA-beating MPG, low cost, more "fun" than a Prius"

Cons: "No AC when stopped, engine wheezes on hills"

"We've had our 2011 Insight EX since new. It's had 50,000 trouble-free miles, with only normal maintenance like oil changes and a new set of tires (factory ones wore out after 15k miles). First off, fuel economy: we have a 20 mile commute roundtrip, with a mixture of hwy and city roads. We average around 46mpg, (calculated after refueling), soundly beating the EPA rated figures. On longer roadtrips, we've gotten 55-60mpg. Following the built-in efficient driving guides, you should absolutely get better mileage than the EPA figures. It's also a much more engaging car to drive than the Prius. We test drove both back to back, and the Insight has much more direct handling, and the manual shift paddles on the EX trim snap through pre-set CVT ratios instantly. It feels like a dual-clutch box in that mode. The car has no troubles getting up to freeway speeds and passing, although I'd recommending a few "downshifts" on the paddle shifters before passing. That said, the paltry 98hp does make hill climbing a chore, as the car will drone away at 5000rpm after the electric boost charge is used up. Even worse, the car has an alarming tendency to roll backward if you're stopped on a hill, and the start-stop system kills the engine. After you let off the brake, the car lags in getting enough torque to start rolling forward. This caused some hair-raising situations during a drive through San Francisco. At level grades, though, the stop-start function is seamless. The car does great in light snow. The skinny tires cut through light snow very well, and the car tracked great. I did have problems getting up an icy hill, but made it to the top after turning off the traction control. With judicious driving, the car can manage mild snowstorms without issue, just stick to plowed roads. The interior is comfortable, and the EX stereo has USB input and sat radio. It sounds decent for a car in this class, and has no problems connecting to an iphone, USB stick, or Android phone and navigating through playlists right from the dash. On our car, bluetooth was only available with the navigation, which we don't have. Later models changed that. In an obvious cost-cutting measure, the air-conditioning compressor is powered off the engine accessory belt, like a conventional gas car. However, this means the AC turns off when you stop at a stoplight, and can be very uncomfortable on hot days. There doesn't seem to be a way to force the car to idle, as it will shut off in both normal and ECO modes. The competition uses electric AC compressors to get around this, but also cost quite a bit more. The automatic single-zone climate control works great when the car is running. The sloped roof can make the back seat hard to get into for taller passengers, although there's plenty of headroom once they're seated. There's a sizable cargo space with the rear seats up, and this becomes massive with the seats folded down. I've gotten a full garage cabinet set in the back with the hatch closed. Overall, we really like this car, despite its relatively minor faults. It's never had a single problem, gets great mileage, and isn't entirely soul-sucking to drive (this coming from a Subaru WRX owner)."

Great urban car

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "confortaable, convenient, economical"

Cons: "under-powered for general travel"

"The Insight is a great city car, but too severely under powered for general travel, especially in hilly/mountainous country. It needs a bigger engine and should have used the Toyota Prius transmission model. Otherwise it's a great little car. PB"