• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000
2006 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

For Economy, Ecology, Reliability, Best Ever Made

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Ideal if you care whether humans exist in 200 yrs."

Cons: "Bad news if you like to spend lots on gas/repairs."

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

"Driving 50-60 mph, I averaged 94 miles per gallon on a 2,000-mile trip at 6,500 feet elevation through NM/WY mountain passes. The car's lifetime average of 70 mpg was achieved mostly around town at 7,100 feet elevation, both of which reduce efficiency. Best medium-range run: Santa Fe to Albuquerque, 70 miles, 129 miles per gallon. Best Santa Fe-to-Taos, NM run, driving from 7100 feet elevation down to 5,000 and back up again to 7,000: 117 mpg. Except for free recalls and free battery replacement, this car has never been serviced (I do oil and filter changes, adjusted valves once myself, replaced plugs once; the car still has all original fluids, original brake pads--rears still 90 percent--original clutch, 2nd set of tires). I almost never rev the engine past 2,000 rpm. I am quite convinced the car, which can't rust since there's nothing to rust on it, will be running strong and looking good well after I'm in eco-heaven. I drive to get the most out of the car and be kindest to the environment: coast down hills, regenerate instead of mechanical-brake up to lights, accelerate gently, shift at 10, 15, 25, and 30 mph to get to 5th gear. By now--over 10 years--this driving behavior is second-nature and completly automatic. Only two things are truly awful regarding this car: 1) Honda barely advertised it, and 2) almost nobody bought it. Kudos to Honda for designing it--a marvel of engineering and seamless hybrid reliability. And shame on them for not advertising it more aggressively. Shame, too, on the affluent world for not buying it, particularly those who claim a modicum of concern about our species' future. If reliability, economy of operation, and impact on the environment are the measures, then this in my opinion is the best car manufactured to date. (The Toyota Prius, with half the fuel economy and twice as many engines, is in a very different, lesser, league.)"

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

Fantastic fuel mileage, fun.

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Owned since 2000, 48 mpg lifetime average but located in hilly area in NH. Did get 77 mpg on a 100 mile trip from Canadian border southward on Interstate, but had to work at it. Not recommended for snow, too light, will not penetrate snow cover well, so use other cars in winter. Love to drive the car, for the smile it puts on when passing gas stations with $3.29 gas. Genuinely fun to drive, would drive it rather than many other cars I own, including a Porsche 993-C4. I'm not saying it is more FUN than a Porsche, but it definately is less likely to result in a traffic ticket, because the Insight elicits sympathy, whereas the 911 elicits envy and more visibility, AND the gas mileage is a huge kick. I can remember when I was 25 yrs. old and good gas mileage was 28 mpg with a VW beetle, and gas was up to 75 cents per gallon in 1977. My purchase of the car in 2000 was based on my salute to the fine engineering of it rather than the payback with fuel, because I don't have that many miles (15k) on the odometer compared to the average for this year (79K). The instrumentation allows you to monitor and manipulate your driving technique to get better mileage. Wish someone would sell an aftermarket kit to plug it in at night, to further improve the mileage potential. Too bad they discontinued the car from Honda. Love the fact that the used car value is low, means I can look for a good deal on a used one. On long trips, the seats can be a little uncomfortable, but adding a piece of foam from a BJ's Club store mattress overlay cut to shape solved that for less than $70. Will hold surprising amount of store purchases when the passenger seat and hatchback used fully. Have carried 10' lumber and pipes when necessary with hatchback open and articles put up at windshield with foam protection on ends. Did I say this car is fun to drive? It is fun to drive. Peole who say it is sluggish simply don't bother to rev it out to the red line, which is probably why my 48 mpg is lower than most people. It flies, have topped out at 102 mph downhill. It will "hunt around wandering a few inches from side to side on roads that have depressions in them due to heavy truck traffic, which can be annoying or disconcerting depending on your tolerance level. Fortunately this phenomena is rare, in my area it is only on one particular uphill stretch of interstate near a crushed-rock dump truck fill site. It really is neat to have the air conditioning on with the outside temp at 90 + and to get 96 mpg from home to the local Wal-Mart which is 12 miles away. Unfortunately on the way home it is all up hill so mileage drops down to 60 mpg average round trip. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. Only problem has been fake chrome on the door handle peeled off, and some interior trim has to be pushed back in place now and then. And the anti-theft device which at several times in 7 years disabled the car until the dealer gave me the 3 minute technique of getting around it. This can be caused by using the wrong Honda key in the ignition. I paid for the entire Honda dealership service manual which is extensive, but have only referred to it for fun, like reading about how the braking system regenerates power to store in the special battery pack, which is below the rear luggage area. You can trick the car into generating more stored electricity by dragging the foot brake pedal a tiny bit early going down hills, especially helpful when you know you are coming to a stop sign. I love this car, and have actually searched for a accident parts car for long in the future when I MAY need spare parts. I would not want to be in this if someone else hit me, because at only 1800 pounds I am going to come out the loser in a weight contest. I am very attentive to that kind of situation, as I don't want to pay the ultimate price for my high fuel mileage fun. There are some internet clubs talking about a kit which allows you to do some trick stuff to further improve fuel mileage, but I haven't bothered yet. I am very satisfied with 48 mpg lifetime average, which is always displayed on the dash at the push of a button. I have test driven the Toyota Prius which has fantastic engineering but the fuel mileage penalty to me makes the Prius a poor value at the new prices. (Yes, I did pay about the same for the Honda Insight in 2000, at $21,000. but the Prius was not available then. I am looking forward to additional exciting engineering from the Japenese in the near future. I'd love to buy that LS600 in 2008, but the UPCOMING Lexus hybrid is over $100,000. reportedly, and the fuel mileage is only about 28 mpg highway. Let's see, 48 and 1800 lbs. car weight, or 28 mpg and 5000+ pounds. The 100k $ price kills it."

Amazing little car!

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Amazing MPG, well engineered, excellent durability"

Cons: "Only 67hp forces you to modify how you drive!"

"My Insight is about to turn over 300K and it's been a wonderful car. I average about 60-65mpg, but in the right conditions it can do significantly better than that. If you're considering buying an insight, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading the articles and forums at Insightcentral.net. The dealers and mechanics don't know much about these cars and insightcentral will save you lots of headaches with incompetent service people. Every detail of this car was optimized for light weight and aerodynamics in order to make it as fuel efficient as possible. Sadly, in the twelve years since this car was introduced nobody has stepped up and tried to make a car that comes anywhere near it's efficiency. This is an excellent road trip car. Do the math. 10.5 gallons of gas in the tank will get you at least 600 miles at a cost of something like $35 and gets two people and all of their stuff (you can fit an eight foot surfboard inside the car and close the hatch... ask me how I know)"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted