• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2006 Honda Insight

Based on 78 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"Perfect car for a couple with pets! A few of it's star qualities: 1.) The best fuel mileage that I have ever seen. 2.) Very cute. People laughed when I first purchased this little "space-pod" styled car that boasted awesome mpg. Mind you this was in 2002 when huge SUV's were the most popular vehicles on the road... NOBODY'S LAUGHING NOW! 3.) surprisingly roomy interior with an ultra-quiet engine."

Still the best

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"This has been a surprisingly dependable car. Other than a weak starter battery, it has never failed me. The hybrid power system has been flawless in its performance and reliability and the fuel economy is still the best of any production car."

Best commuter / city car

By on Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I love this vehicle, its fun to drive, reliable, efficient. The handling is tight and responsive, has great road feel. The five speed is fun and smooth. I've got a heavy right foot and do mostly city driving and have been getting about 45 mpg. On long road trips cruising on the freeway (60 to 70 mph) it gets 60 mpg! Minor gripes; The seats do not recline very far do to the traction battery placement. That's fine for most day to day use. But on long road trip I would like to put the seat back further. The headliner is sagging a little near the opening for the hatch back. I had the headliner replaced at the dealer, but the new one they put in is starting to sag a little. The carpeting near the drivers left foot has detached from the side of the car near the door. Not a big deal just need a new plastic clip for it. Other than those two things the fit and finish is excellent."

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

By on Monday, June 08, 2009

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

love this car

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"this is a sports car that gets 50 plus mpg. my favorite car...ever!"

95+ MPG

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my '00 used back in '06 because I was driving 3500+ miles a month and it was cheaper to add this car to my collection that it was to feed my truck's gas-appetite. I regularly made runs from San Diego to Los Angeles and Irvine getting 90 - 95 MPG using hypermiling techniques. If not for the limitations of the human bladder, you could drive this little car the length of California on 10 gallons...from Yreka to Tijuana...without ever stopping. My lifetime average was around 64 MPG when I sold it last year. I miss the little guy, but I moved and have a super-short commute now and wanted someone else to enjoy it! I got $4000 above the KBB private party value because gas was $4.00 a gallon and Insights were impossible to find used! After adding 69,000 miles to the little guy, I sold it for $300 less than I bought it for. Amazing."

Honda Insight

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Insight as a second owner since 2004 and this vehicle is excellent! We bought it as a commuter vehicle, and it has been so much more. This car defines basic transportation, because it does everything so predictably well. I have taken a few long distance trips in it and enjoyed not paying a lot for gas, but after a few hours, I can notice how stiff the ride really is. Honda saved weight by putting in a minimal suspension. I still don't mind the weight saving measures on the Insight because we have saved so much money by owning it. Maintenance has been minimal over the years too. I have only replaced the tires once. I finally replaced the front brake pads last spring. With the weight of the car being so low and the engine doing the majority of the braking anyway, brakes don't see the same extreme conditions that conventional vehicle brakes experience. I changed the starter battery once. The only other maintenance that I have needed to has been routine oil and filter changes. The 3 liter engine only takes 2.6 quarts of oil, so oil changes don't even cost much. I don't think I will ever get rid of my Insight because I am so pleased with it!"

Doesn't get better than this

By on Sunday, December 07, 2008

""I've owned my Insight for 5 years now. I bought it used with 24,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with it. It's an attention getter. I get asked questions all the time about this car. I've averaged 72 mpg since I bought it. The furthest I've driven on a single tank of 10.6 gallons is from Jacksonville, Florida to the New Jersey Turnpike. For those who don't know a lot about this car here's some info for you. The Insight was the first hybrid car you could purchase in the U.S. only about 18,000 were made in the 6 years it was in production. The car is made out of 80% aluminum, making 40% stronger and lighter than the average car. All Insight's were hand built in Japan and the last one was made on September 21st 2006. If you can find one I strongly suggest getting one!! You'll never drive a better car. I only wish Honda had added cruise control. Hey hopefully with the 2nd generation Insight coming out in 2009 we'll get one. I'm buying that Insight too!!!""

Best car ever

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"I have owned my Insight since new ('00), it has 163,000 miles on it. I have only made normal repairs (ECM-Recall, Idler Pully and AC something or other and front brakes at 145K). Other than that, Oil and tires!!! The other reviewers are on the money with their descriptions of this cars abilities and shortcomings. I have a lifetime avg. of 50.0 MPG, with best tanks of 62MPG and 600+ miles (10.5 Gal. tank). I drive the car hard and fast, and it still runs like the day I bought it. 2 yrs ago I thought I needed a sports car and went with an Acura, I could not deal with the frequent fill-ups and the Super Unleaded gas prices. I sold it after 6 months. I sure am glad no one made a serious offer on my Insight. i'll drive it until the wheels fall off (er, forever I guess)!"

Insight as primary vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Owned since new in 2000, my personal favorite car and the great gaas mileage is the reason. Entertaining instrumentation allows you to monitor fuel mileage instantly and you can squeeze out extra mileage easily with driving method changes. If you rev up the engine before shifting it is plenty fast too, topping out at 102. Easily can go 80 on the highway but then fuel mileage will suffer a bit. Optimum fuel mileage also compromised by hilly terrain, works best on flat land."

Insight Rocks

By on Monday, October 06, 2008

"Simply a great car, technology, and 55+ AVG MPG!"

Good Car, Few Options

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I needed a car to get to work 100 miles a day and mostly highway driving. Few options, but I didn't care and almost all my driving on highway. Not build for back roads and you have to go slow in Winter. The Honda dealerships know how to treat their customer."

Perfect commute vehicle

By on Monday, September 15, 2008

"With the exception of a slightly rough ride on poorly maintained highways the Insight is the perfect commuting vehicle. Efficient, nimble, fits in the most cramped parking spots, all with Honda reliability; what more can you ask for from a runabout?"

By on Friday, August 22, 2008

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Nothing Better

By on Sunday, August 03, 2008

"I cannot believe how lucky I am to own this car. I have wanted one since they became available in 2000 and was able to purchase mine in 2004. After putting 70,000 miles on in addition to the previous owners 25,000, I could not be happier. This vehicle is reliable, economical, and stylish to boot."

Honda Insight

By on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Excellent commuter and in-town vehicle. I usually get between 48 and 55 mpg for mixed hwy and in-town driving. Very reliable car. Hard to find vehicle."

Incredible Gas Mileage

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Our 2001 Insight stick shift has exceeded our wildest dreams. In the real world driving of Chicagoland, it gets 60-70 mpg highway, 35 -50 city/suburban mpg. For the life of the car it's gotten 45.3 mpg - not bad considering how cold Chicagoland winters are. Great instrument panel! The car has been a joy to drive -- you only wonder how much Honda wished it was still selling new ones here. Rumor is that the 2009 Fit hybrid will be based on the Insight's drive train."

Honda Insight, what really matters

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Ok, is this a fast car, NO! Is is super comfortable to ride in or is it quiet, NO! Will it hold 7 people and all the gear you can haul, NO! Why is this great car? The Honda Insight is a wonderful car because of the potential for saving $$$ on fuel. And believe it or not, it's actually quite fun to drive. Now if you climb into this car and try to hot rod it around town I don't think you'll be very impressed with the mileage. Just remember, change of driver attitude is one of the most effective modifications you can make to your car to save gas. If you just just try a little you can get >70MPG and over 700 miles to a tank of gas. If you try really hard you can get >100MPG and well over 1000 miles from a tank! This isn't a family car, but it's a great car for back and forth to work or as a second car if you have a family. I love mine, my record tank is 1200 miles, maintaining 98.4MPG."

Incredible MPG

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"2001 blue manual transmission, 65k 58mpg lifetime. I have put 30,000 miles on it since i bought it and have brought the lifetime mpg up from 52 to 58 so far. I routinely get 75mpg. My record is 82mpg driving from Akron to Dayton (200 miles). My wife usually gets 65mpg (lead foot). I am 6'3" and the car is more than roomy enough for me. Although the ride quality is poor, it gives it a very sporty feel. It is actually very responsive and fun to drive because of it! I have not modified the car, and I see no reason to do so given that it already gets such great mpg. I will note the engine that comes with the manual transmission is different from the automatic. The automatic does not have lean-burn mode, therefore the mpg will be slightly less (55-65), but still amazing!"

Excellent Engineering

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"RE: 2001 Insight 80K miles (purchased new in 2002) Best Feature(s): Reliability & Dependability as evidenced through quality of engineering. Fuel efficiency is amazing. Before handing this car off to my wife I used to run it Portland to Seattle every other week at 75-80mph. I'd arrive home after the round trip and driving around Seattle for 4 days with a 1/4 tank of gas still intact. Yah Baby! Worst Feature: Cabin/Road Noise. This is not a sound proofed car - not really a big deal from my take. Road noise is bad on rough concrete. The flip side is this - get on a smooth new asphalt road and you run silent/quiet/stealth. It reminds me of being in a sailplane absent the wind rush. Overall: Grab onto one of these truly ahead of it's time cars. They will be a collector piece. Peace"

fell apart after warranty expired

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"Warranty expired in september, have had three engine control modules (computer) installed since then, problems with wiring harness and issues (holes) with the gas tank. The gas tank is plastic, Honda says it is unavailable and they have no plan for when a tank might become available."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next