• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2006 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Best car ever

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"This is the best and most satisfying car I have ever driven. I get 75 mpg on the highway if I keep it at 55 mph, and it is the most maneuverable car in the city. It is very well made and a great car. Too bad people are afraid of buying such a little car."

Best commuter in the World

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"This is the Best Commuter Car in the World. Reasonable price, peppy, comfortable, great climate control and last but not least Fantastic mileage at nearly 60mpg over 80,000 miles of use on freeways and in town in Southern Calif. Top speed (observed) 109 mph. Top mileage, 75 mpg. Reliable with great service; cheap to own."

It's a keeper

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Many people think a hybrid in general may be sluggish. I have had a couple of tickets with this car. I drive it and it performs like a race car. I get an average of 46 miles to the gallon. When I drive nicely though, I have gotton up to 69 mpg on long road trips. I love it. People always ask, "yea but does the savings in fuel really offset the extra price". They are not taking in consideration the very main fact of why it was designed and that is to curb pollution. My honda insight is the only car I know that doesn't stink."

Insight Hybrid... The Best

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Bought this 2000 Insight used 4 1/2 years ago (2/2003) and it hasn't had a moments problem. Gas mileage will easily average 60+ and the ride is amazingly good for a car this size. Perfect for work commute or 2 people on a weekend trip. I have absolutely no complaints."

Fantastic Car

By on Friday, April 20, 2007

"Delivers on every avenue; terrific mileage at average of over 61 mpg. Good power, excellent storage. Outstanding reliability. Will definitely buy another for my fleet and recommend to everyone as a very responsible, practical auto for today's commuters."

I am just sad they changed it.

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Economy rocks, comfort even for 6'4" is amazing"

Cons: "they dont make them any more"

"I drove the new Insight and about cried, nothing as cool as this little car for comfort and economy. So sad that this model I wont be able to replace. Do not plan on getting a new car until this one totally dies. I love it!"

Great "Little" Commuter

By on Friday, September 03, 2010

"Stress on the LITTLE. But it gets better economy and comfort than my motorcycle. Perfect for my 110 mile a day commute. I can easily get 55mpg and 60 on a good day. You will want after market stereo and speakers. I am a LARGE person (6'3" 300lbs) and I fit comfortably in this car. It is just very low to the ground. Plenty of headroom."

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"Perfect car for a couple with pets! A few of it's star qualities: 1.) The best fuel mileage that I have ever seen. 2.) Very cute. People laughed when I first purchased this little "space-pod" styled car that boasted awesome mpg. Mind you this was in 2002 when huge SUV's were the most popular vehicles on the road... NOBODY'S LAUGHING NOW! 3.) surprisingly roomy interior with an ultra-quiet engine."

Still the best

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"This has been a surprisingly dependable car. Other than a weak starter battery, it has never failed me. The hybrid power system has been flawless in its performance and reliability and the fuel economy is still the best of any production car."

Incredible Gas Mileage

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Our 2001 Insight stick shift has exceeded our wildest dreams. In the real world driving of Chicagoland, it gets 60-70 mpg highway, 35 -50 city/suburban mpg. For the life of the car it's gotten 45.3 mpg - not bad considering how cold Chicagoland winters are. Great instrument panel! The car has been a joy to drive -- you only wonder how much Honda wished it was still selling new ones here. Rumor is that the 2009 Fit hybrid will be based on the Insight's drive train."

well worth every penny

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"it's a shame that honda quit making this vehicle in the US - it's a show stopper"

Great Road Car

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"60+ miles per gallon, exceptional styling, durability and efficiency make this my favorite car."

For Economy, Ecology, Reliability, Best Ever Made

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Ideal if you care whether humans exist in 200 yrs."

Cons: "Bad news if you like to spend lots on gas/repairs."

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

"Driving 50-60 mph, I averaged 94 miles per gallon on a 2,000-mile trip at 6,500 feet elevation through NM/WY mountain passes. The car's lifetime average of 70 mpg was achieved mostly around town at 7,100 feet elevation, both of which reduce efficiency. Best medium-range run: Santa Fe to Albuquerque, 70 miles, 129 miles per gallon. Best Santa Fe-to-Taos, NM run, driving from 7100 feet elevation down to 5,000 and back up again to 7,000: 117 mpg. Except for free recalls and free battery replacement, this car has never been serviced (I do oil and filter changes, adjusted valves once myself, replaced plugs once; the car still has all original fluids, original brake pads--rears still 90 percent--original clutch, 2nd set of tires). I almost never rev the engine past 2,000 rpm. I am quite convinced the car, which can't rust since there's nothing to rust on it, will be running strong and looking good well after I'm in eco-heaven. I drive to get the most out of the car and be kindest to the environment: coast down hills, regenerate instead of mechanical-brake up to lights, accelerate gently, shift at 10, 15, 25, and 30 mph to get to 5th gear. By now--over 10 years--this driving behavior is second-nature and completly automatic. Only two things are truly awful regarding this car: 1) Honda barely advertised it, and 2) almost nobody bought it. Kudos to Honda for designing it--a marvel of engineering and seamless hybrid reliability. And shame on them for not advertising it more aggressively. Shame, too, on the affluent world for not buying it, particularly those who claim a modicum of concern about our species' future. If reliability, economy of operation, and impact on the environment are the measures, then this in my opinion is the best car manufactured to date. (The Toyota Prius, with half the fuel economy and twice as many engines, is in a very different, lesser, league.)"

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

Amazing little car!

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Amazing MPG, well engineered, excellent durability"

Cons: "Only 67hp forces you to modify how you drive!"

"My Insight is about to turn over 300K and it's been a wonderful car. I average about 60-65mpg, but in the right conditions it can do significantly better than that. If you're considering buying an insight, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading the articles and forums at Insightcentral.net. The dealers and mechanics don't know much about these cars and insightcentral will save you lots of headaches with incompetent service people. Every detail of this car was optimized for light weight and aerodynamics in order to make it as fuel efficient as possible. Sadly, in the twelve years since this car was introduced nobody has stepped up and tried to make a car that comes anywhere near it's efficiency. This is an excellent road trip car. Do the math. 10.5 gallons of gas in the tank will get you at least 600 miles at a cost of something like $35 and gets two people and all of their stuff (you can fit an eight foot surfboard inside the car and close the hatch... ask me how I know)"

Its a Honda Enough Said

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "amazing MPG and reliability"

Cons: "Main batter pack is the weak link."

Beep

"Amazing MPG and reliability. Purchased car new. Hybrid system worked flawlessly until it reached 90,000. Factory replaced main battery and Catalytic converter. Still running on original clutch with no issues. I replaced the front sway bar links and shocks. Battery pack has 40,000 miles and three years since replacement."

Beep

Doesn't get better than this

By on Sunday, December 07, 2008

""I've owned my Insight for 5 years now. I bought it used with 24,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with it. It's an attention getter. I get asked questions all the time about this car. I've averaged 72 mpg since I bought it. The furthest I've driven on a single tank of 10.6 gallons is from Jacksonville, Florida to the New Jersey Turnpike. For those who don't know a lot about this car here's some info for you. The Insight was the first hybrid car you could purchase in the U.S. only about 18,000 were made in the 6 years it was in production. The car is made out of 80% aluminum, making 40% stronger and lighter than the average car. All Insight's were hand built in Japan and the last one was made on September 21st 2006. If you can find one I strongly suggest getting one!! You'll never drive a better car. I only wish Honda had added cruise control. Hey hopefully with the 2nd generation Insight coming out in 2009 we'll get one. I'm buying that Insight too!!!""

good car, great ful economy , only 2 seats

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, 60 mpg average"

Cons: "they doo not make them anymore ......."

"I bought this car at 196k miles about 4 years ago , Somebody else thought it was at the end of its useful life and traded it in. I bit the bullet and bought it site unseen . Now 96k miles later I think I got a great car and great opportunity . during these years I have spent ~$5k on gas . with my previous car I would have spent roughly 3 times that , so it has saved me $10k so far. It is an old car and at this mileage most cars are retired already, Overall this one holds well, but some parts need replacement when their time comes... I do the repairs diligently as I am planning to have this car for the long run.... Its ride is a little rough , there is room for only two passengers and it is not a sports car with its puny 65 hp (+14 hp of the electric motor) hp. But it does the job and still is a lot of fun to drive. it is made of aluminum so there will be no rust over the years. if you drive a lot this car is one of the best choices that can be made."

Best car ever

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"I have owned my Insight since new ('00), it has 163,000 miles on it. I have only made normal repairs (ECM-Recall, Idler Pully and AC something or other and front brakes at 145K). Other than that, Oil and tires!!! The other reviewers are on the money with their descriptions of this cars abilities and shortcomings. I have a lifetime avg. of 50.0 MPG, with best tanks of 62MPG and 600+ miles (10.5 Gal. tank). I drive the car hard and fast, and it still runs like the day I bought it. 2 yrs ago I thought I needed a sports car and went with an Acura, I could not deal with the frequent fill-ups and the Super Unleaded gas prices. I sold it after 6 months. I sure am glad no one made a serious offer on my Insight. i'll drive it until the wheels fall off (er, forever I guess)!"

RIDES LIKE A SPORTS CAR, TR3 OR CORVETTE. STIFF

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "I LOVE FILLING IT UP ONLY TWICE PER MONTH."

"ONLY TWO SEATS. LOW SO DIFFICULT FOR SOME TO GET IN AND OUT. ROAD NOISE IS ABOVE AVERAGE. TIRE PRESSURE IS IMPORTANT, LOW AND IT CAN BE HARD TO DRIVE. IT WANTS TO SKATE. MECHANICS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF THEM FOR ANYONE TO BE FAMILURE WITH IT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT THEY DO NOT COME WITH A SPARE TIRE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE TIRE IS. IT IS NOW THE TEST BEFORE THEY CAN WORK ON THE CAR. MILEAGE VARIES SUMMER TO WINTER. IT IS MUCH BETTER IN THE SUMMER. MY BEST EVER WAS 60 MPG FOR 1200 MILE TRIP. WINTER IT CAN GO DOWN TO HIGH 40'S. NARROW WIDTH MAKES IT DIFFICULT IN THE SNOW. IT DOES NOT FIT THE NORMAL TIRE PATHS."

gas saver

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Ever since I bought this car 6 months ago, I had saved thousands of dollars in gas. This was the best buy ever."

This car is amazing. I think and it does.

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "Tall people have difficulty leaving the auto."

"Wonderful automobile. It is a very stable car in that the engine is in the front and the batteries are in the rear. When driving fast, it is areodynamic and uses very little fuel. It picks up speed rapidly when needed. The steering is a 1 to 1 ratio, very tight."

Hate it, rides rough

By on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pros: "good milage, easy to park"

Cons: "no cruise control, rough ride"

"Rides rough. In the Texas summer the AC can not keep up and the milage drops to 40mpg. The seat is one of the most uncomfortable I have ever ridden in. No cruise control. The scheduled maintenance very expensive. The batteries went out at 75K miles. It would have been $5000 dollars if it hadn't been covered by a recall. I have been to to three different dealers for service and I haven't been happy with any of them. There have been a couple of recalls and they were handled in an ineffective manner. The tires are special and in Dallas I could only find one tire dealer near my house that carried them. When the weather is bad the two stage braking ( regenerative then normal) makes it very tricky on wet and or snowy roads. ( Yes, Dallas has snow and ice storms) Terrible blind spots. Average milage after 85 K miles is only 46"

fun and still gets best MPG of all hybrids

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "aerodynamic, cute and reliable"

Cons: "A bit too Low to the ground; noisy on fough roads"

"I love my little Honda insight, it is fun to drive, and has quick, tight response. It accelerates fast if need be, but of course that decreases its magnificent miles-to-the-gallon. It is one of the first 5000 hybrid Hondas and was made in Japan in the year 2000. If anything were to happen to it, I would try to find another 2-door 2-seater Honda Insight."

I won't buy another Hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Good daily drive for in city. Easy to Park"

Cons: "Uncomfortable to ride long distances"

"I just installed my second IMA ( integrated motor assist) battery t 97K miles. If it wasn't for the warranty that was extended to ten years after a recall I would be looking at a $4000 repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The battery and control module was replaced three years ago and that would have been $5000 if it weren't for the recall. The ride is rough and I only get about 42 mpg average. If I know it is going to rain I take my other vehicle because it is not good on wet roads. Standard maintenance is very expensive."

Honda Insight, what really matters

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Ok, is this a fast car, NO! Is is super comfortable to ride in or is it quiet, NO! Will it hold 7 people and all the gear you can haul, NO! Why is this great car? The Honda Insight is a wonderful car because of the potential for saving $$$ on fuel. And believe it or not, it's actually quite fun to drive. Now if you climb into this car and try to hot rod it around town I don't think you'll be very impressed with the mileage. Just remember, change of driver attitude is one of the most effective modifications you can make to your car to save gas. If you just just try a little you can get >70MPG and over 700 miles to a tank of gas. If you try really hard you can get >100MPG and well over 1000 miles from a tank! This isn't a family car, but it's a great car for back and forth to work or as a second car if you have a family. I love mine, my record tank is 1200 miles, maintaining 98.4MPG."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next