• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2006 Honda Insight

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

This car is amazing. I think and it does.

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "Tall people have difficulty leaving the auto."

"Wonderful automobile. It is a very stable car in that the engine is in the front and the batteries are in the rear. When driving fast, it is areodynamic and uses very little fuel. It picks up speed rapidly when needed. The steering is a 1 to 1 ratio, very tight."

best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

"bought it used in 2002 with 14,000, still driving everyday with 176,000. 85% of average American's driving is solo. Been getting 70mpg for years, can get over 100 when I draft semi's on my way to Michigan. It's reliable, comfortable, strange looking in a loveable way. it's been very good to me and I hope I have it for another 150,000."

Great fuel economy - best as a 2nd car

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and great on gas."

Cons: "Not a lot of cargo space, marginal air conditionin"

"In 2001 Hybrid technology was evolving and this car was state of the art then. There have been a few problems with the sensors giving (incorrect) indications of engine problems, requiring software "fixes" to the computer controlling things. The car itself is very durable. Living in Michigan I am used to seeing cars rust out after a few years, but the fiberglass body on this car is still immaculate. Overall mileage for this car over 106,000 miles was 60.3 mpg for all kinds of driving: city and highway. The car is peppy and nimble and spacious inside for 2 adults. Cargo space is limited. The engine is so small that running the air conditioning causes a noticeable decrease in the otherwise peppy performance. An excellent 2nd car for a family who need two cars."

Its a Honda Enough Said

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "amazing MPG and reliability"

Cons: "Main batter pack is the weak link."

Beep

"Amazing MPG and reliability. Purchased car new. Hybrid system worked flawlessly until it reached 90,000. Factory replaced main battery and Catalytic converter. Still running on original clutch with no issues. I replaced the front sway bar links and shocks. Battery pack has 40,000 miles and three years since replacement."

Beep

good car, great ful economy , only 2 seats

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, 60 mpg average"

Cons: "they doo not make them anymore ......."

"I bought this car at 196k miles about 4 years ago , Somebody else thought it was at the end of its useful life and traded it in. I bit the bullet and bought it site unseen . Now 96k miles later I think I got a great car and great opportunity . during these years I have spent ~$5k on gas . with my previous car I would have spent roughly 3 times that , so it has saved me $10k so far. It is an old car and at this mileage most cars are retired already, Overall this one holds well, but some parts need replacement when their time comes... I do the repairs diligently as I am planning to have this car for the long run.... Its ride is a little rough , there is room for only two passengers and it is not a sports car with its puny 65 hp (+14 hp of the electric motor) hp. But it does the job and still is a lot of fun to drive. it is made of aluminum so there will be no rust over the years. if you drive a lot this car is one of the best choices that can be made."

its got mpg but whers honda relyibility

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Reason: no relibility

Pros: "mpg"

Cons: "everything els"

"no releibility good mpg but what a money pit its 7 years old and almost 7,597 in repaers no more hondas for me"

I won't buy another Hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Good daily drive for in city. Easy to Park"

Cons: "Uncomfortable to ride long distances"

"I just installed my second IMA ( integrated motor assist) battery t 97K miles. If it wasn't for the warranty that was extended to ten years after a recall I would be looking at a $4000 repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The battery and control module was replaced three years ago and that would have been $5000 if it weren't for the recall. The ride is rough and I only get about 42 mpg average. If I know it is going to rain I take my other vehicle because it is not good on wet roads. Standard maintenance is very expensive."

For Economy, Ecology, Reliability, Best Ever Made

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Ideal if you care whether humans exist in 200 yrs."

Cons: "Bad news if you like to spend lots on gas/repairs."

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

"Driving 50-60 mph, I averaged 94 miles per gallon on a 2,000-mile trip at 6,500 feet elevation through NM/WY mountain passes. The car's lifetime average of 70 mpg was achieved mostly around town at 7,100 feet elevation, both of which reduce efficiency. Best medium-range run: Santa Fe to Albuquerque, 70 miles, 129 miles per gallon. Best Santa Fe-to-Taos, NM run, driving from 7100 feet elevation down to 5,000 and back up again to 7,000: 117 mpg. Except for free recalls and free battery replacement, this car has never been serviced (I do oil and filter changes, adjusted valves once myself, replaced plugs once; the car still has all original fluids, original brake pads--rears still 90 percent--original clutch, 2nd set of tires). I almost never rev the engine past 2,000 rpm. I am quite convinced the car, which can't rust since there's nothing to rust on it, will be running strong and looking good well after I'm in eco-heaven. I drive to get the most out of the car and be kindest to the environment: coast down hills, regenerate instead of mechanical-brake up to lights, accelerate gently, shift at 10, 15, 25, and 30 mph to get to 5th gear. By now--over 10 years--this driving behavior is second-nature and completly automatic. Only two things are truly awful regarding this car: 1) Honda barely advertised it, and 2) almost nobody bought it. Kudos to Honda for designing it--a marvel of engineering and seamless hybrid reliability. And shame on them for not advertising it more aggressively. Shame, too, on the affluent world for not buying it, particularly those who claim a modicum of concern about our species' future. If reliability, economy of operation, and impact on the environment are the measures, then this in my opinion is the best car manufactured to date. (The Toyota Prius, with half the fuel economy and twice as many engines, is in a very different, lesser, league.)"

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

What a fun way to commute...backroads fwy- Rgr8!!!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, easy to park , technology works, green"

Cons: "< storage, trade stiff ride for mileage=ok 4 me"

"I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this car when I bought it used last month for 6k. Body is Excellent, inside is plain but ok for me, and it had a new battery pack installed recently and it is a blast to drive for milage or like a regular car when i'm slightly late for work. As a newbie, I easily attained 52mpg right away with the CVT (auto). I have never been a fan of small cars but this changed my mind. It handles very well on country roads...ride is low and stiff like a go-cart but there is no creaking and it is built well. Headroom is gr8, seats fine, storage is minimal but perfect for commute and quick runs to town when milage matters and I don't want to start my main gas guzzler up. The new Insights are so bland compared to this puppy...but they would hold my family once i decide to ditch our larger cars.....I may have to try a Prius but i'm not too excited about it yet."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "super mileage when you learn to drive for mileage"

Cons: "drive like normal car, gets only 60-70 mpg"

"It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It takes a little bit of learning to keep the mileage up because of both the lean burn engine and the electric motor. Once you figure it out it is easy to get awesome mileage. My best was 1016 miles with a fill of 10.2 gallons 99.6 mpg. Granted I was on back roads and only driving 45-50 mph. My overall mileage has been 75. During the summer it is fairly easy to maintain low to mid 80s if you drive for fuel mileage. Even with 120,000 miles it still is solid with no rattles. The interior shows very little wear except for the carpeting. Because of the aluminum construction it is imposable to rust. Over all, if you can find one grab it, they are hard to find and only getting harder."

The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and fun to drive."

Cons: "Small interior"

"The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!! Great gas mileage and fun to drive. Small interior"

Great on GAS, Fun to drive

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"I've had this car which we call the pod for the last nine years I've had a fun time driving the car. But like all thing I must let go of the car if you don't drive it every day the battery will go dead so I going to sell it to a very good friend who will drive it all the time."

I am just sad they changed it.

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Economy rocks, comfort even for 6'4" is amazing"

Cons: "they dont make them any more"

"I drove the new Insight and about cried, nothing as cool as this little car for comfort and economy. So sad that this model I wont be able to replace. Do not plan on getting a new car until this one totally dies. I love it!"

Excellent car if you don't have a family

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Very few problems in 11 years; good crash survival"

Cons: "Anything that does go wrong is expensive"

"As a 2-seater, this is not meant to be a family car. If you're looking for reliable transportation and gas savings, I found it to be good at both for the last 11 years. I had one relatively major crash (1-2 years in) at about 40 mph (I thought the insurance company might even total it, but they didn't) where a truck pulled across my lane... and the car kept me from harm even though his tire/axle impaled the whole engine -- making it look like I'd wrapped it around a telephone pole or something. It's fuel economy is extraordinary, which with my limited milage helped to keep me from needing more than about 1 stop at the gas station per month. =) It's a bit low to the ground for some people getting in and out... my 6'8" work buddy and my slightly heavyset father both dislike getting in and out of it. Myself, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm still fairly young, avg height, and of slight build. It is a comfortable car, with leg-room and head-room for all but the tallest to be comfortable once inside. My younger sister absolutely raved about the comfort of the bucket seats when she tried driving it, and I have grown very used to them over the years... now finding many other cars' seats to be rather unlikeable after getting used to mine. The steering / handling is quite good in my opinion, and the car turns very well. The ride is probably a bit stiff for some people, but as I'm accustomed to it, I don't even notice the fact unless I've been driving someone else's car for a while. There is a bit more road noise than in some more luxurious cars, but it's a fairly low key background and doesn't particularly bother me. I've only had 2 major repairs in 11 years (excepting the crash mentioned above) and the first was completely covered under the extended warranty I had purchased with the car. The first (covered) was a battery pack controller (tells the batteries when/how/how long/how fast to charge and discharge) would have been around $4K, and the latest one is the battery pack itself needing to be replaced... and I'm still waiting for a final cost figure... but it's somewhere in $3K-$5K. So... it's fairly expensive when something goes wrong with the electric side of "hybrid"."

Wow! Way more than exceeded my expectations!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Built by the Acura NSX factory in Japan"

Cons: "Could be more comfortable."

"I bought this car to do deliveries because of gas prices and I went from a Suzuki swift gt getting 17 miles to the gallon to 40 mpg in the insight cutting my gas costs mor than in half! I get 65 mpg on the freeway even though I am a led foot and the car feels solid even at 90 mph because of it's aerodynamics and tight suspension. This car handle corners like a go cart but does understeer a little but in a very controllabe way. I do the hardest kind of driving and have had no problems with the car! Brakes and tires and oilchanges and I am all good. I did have charging issue but the dealer upgraded to the second generation battery pack for free at 80 k and they say the batteries should last 157k so I have lots more miles on this unbreakable little head turner of a car. I do not recommend this car as a family car because it is a 2 seater but I highly recommend this car for any body that commutes or delivers or needs a fun sporty little head turner that won't break the bank. there is a slight learning curve on driving this car because of the recharge driving and I suggest you get the stick rather than the cvt version because you get better mileage and more power control. Buy this car! You won't regret it!"

It is what it is

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Pays for itself at the pump."

Cons: "Only two seats."

"The biggest complaint people have about my car is that it's too low to the ground and therefore hard to get in and out of. I have to agree with this statement. I find it very comfortable once I'm in though, unlike the Prius which I can't fit in at all. I'm a 6'3" 320lb man. I've always felt like it needed a better suspension system. They aren't kidding about the 350lb max load. Once two adults are in, it drastically changes the dynamics of the car. Needless to say, it becomes a very bumpy ride. But overall I love this car. I can't imagine though, how I would feel about the automatic version of this car. It would probably be really slow to me. Also, even though I drive it crazy and I load it way over the max load, I still get 45-52mpg consistently on the highway and 35-43 in town."

Amazing little car!

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Amazing MPG, well engineered, excellent durability"

Cons: "Only 67hp forces you to modify how you drive!"

"My Insight is about to turn over 300K and it's been a wonderful car. I average about 60-65mpg, but in the right conditions it can do significantly better than that. If you're considering buying an insight, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading the articles and forums at Insightcentral.net. The dealers and mechanics don't know much about these cars and insightcentral will save you lots of headaches with incompetent service people. Every detail of this car was optimized for light weight and aerodynamics in order to make it as fuel efficient as possible. Sadly, in the twelve years since this car was introduced nobody has stepped up and tried to make a car that comes anywhere near it's efficiency. This is an excellent road trip car. Do the math. 10.5 gallons of gas in the tank will get you at least 600 miles at a cost of something like $35 and gets two people and all of their stuff (you can fit an eight foot surfboard inside the car and close the hatch... ask me how I know)"

RIDES LIKE A SPORTS CAR, TR3 OR CORVETTE. STIFF

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "I LOVE FILLING IT UP ONLY TWICE PER MONTH."

"ONLY TWO SEATS. LOW SO DIFFICULT FOR SOME TO GET IN AND OUT. ROAD NOISE IS ABOVE AVERAGE. TIRE PRESSURE IS IMPORTANT, LOW AND IT CAN BE HARD TO DRIVE. IT WANTS TO SKATE. MECHANICS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF THEM FOR ANYONE TO BE FAMILURE WITH IT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT THEY DO NOT COME WITH A SPARE TIRE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE TIRE IS. IT IS NOW THE TEST BEFORE THEY CAN WORK ON THE CAR. MILEAGE VARIES SUMMER TO WINTER. IT IS MUCH BETTER IN THE SUMMER. MY BEST EVER WAS 60 MPG FOR 1200 MILE TRIP. WINTER IT CAN GO DOWN TO HIGH 40'S. NARROW WIDTH MAKES IT DIFFICULT IN THE SNOW. IT DOES NOT FIT THE NORMAL TIRE PATHS."

"Fun" sports car - excellent mileage 46 to 55 mpg

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive - great mileage (46 to 55 mpg)"

Cons: "two seater - low to get into and out of - no cruise control"

"The car handles very well - very responsive steering - mileage has been excellent throughout ownership - 46 to 55 both highway and local driving - The only drawbacks are the fact that it is a two seater and low to the ground which makes getting into and out challenging if you are not in A one physical condition. This is a "fun" car."

Hate it, rides rough

By on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pros: "good milage, easy to park"

Cons: "no cruise control, rough ride"

"Rides rough. In the Texas summer the AC can not keep up and the milage drops to 40mpg. The seat is one of the most uncomfortable I have ever ridden in. No cruise control. The scheduled maintenance very expensive. The batteries went out at 75K miles. It would have been $5000 dollars if it hadn't been covered by a recall. I have been to to three different dealers for service and I haven't been happy with any of them. There have been a couple of recalls and they were handled in an ineffective manner. The tires are special and in Dallas I could only find one tire dealer near my house that carried them. When the weather is bad the two stage braking ( regenerative then normal) makes it very tricky on wet and or snowy roads. ( Yes, Dallas has snow and ice storms) Terrible blind spots. Average milage after 85 K miles is only 46"

gas saver

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Ever since I bought this car 6 months ago, I had saved thousands of dollars in gas. This was the best buy ever."

Wonderful car

By on Friday, April 22, 2011

"This car is amazing. I bought it used and have had no issues to date. The fuel mileage is unbelievable! I drive mostly highway in my daily commute. I take it easy on the accelerator and routinely average 71MPG on regular 87 octane gasoline. I own a 5 speed manual and the acceleration is more than sufficient. If I get into the gas and drive it aggressively, my mileage will "drop" to around 60MPG in combined city/highway driving. The interior is surprisingly roomy for such a small vehicle. I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. My only complaint is that the car does not come with tilt steering. However, because the steering wheel design allows for easy viewing of all the gauges, lack if tilt is only a minor annoyance. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to save significant money on fuel costs."

unbeatable

By on Saturday, January 22, 2011

"owned since new. lifetime mpg is 48 under all driving conditions. It still looks new.. corrosion will never be a problem as it's aluminum and plastic. replacement batteries appear to be a non-issue. snow tires render it unstoppable. I was looking forward to the CRZ, but all things considered I think I'll just keep this thing forever !"

Great "Little" Commuter

By on Friday, September 03, 2010

"Stress on the LITTLE. But it gets better economy and comfort than my motorcycle. Perfect for my 110 mile a day commute. I can easily get 55mpg and 60 on a good day. You will want after market stereo and speakers. I am a LARGE person (6'3" 300lbs) and I fit comfortably in this car. It is just very low to the ground. Plenty of headroom."

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"Perfect car for a couple with pets! A few of it's star qualities: 1.) The best fuel mileage that I have ever seen. 2.) Very cute. People laughed when I first purchased this little "space-pod" styled car that boasted awesome mpg. Mind you this was in 2002 when huge SUV's were the most popular vehicles on the road... NOBODY'S LAUGHING NOW! 3.) surprisingly roomy interior with an ultra-quiet engine."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next