• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2005 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

It is what it is

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Pays for itself at the pump."

Cons: "Only two seats."

"The biggest complaint people have about my car is that it's too low to the ground and therefore hard to get in and out of. I have to agree with this statement. I find it very comfortable once I'm in though, unlike the Prius which I can't fit in at all. I'm a 6'3" 320lb man. I've always felt like it needed a better suspension system. They aren't kidding about the 350lb max load. Once two adults are in, it drastically changes the dynamics of the car. Needless to say, it becomes a very bumpy ride. But overall I love this car. I can't imagine though, how I would feel about the automatic version of this car. It would probably be really slow to me. Also, even though I drive it crazy and I load it way over the max load, I still get 45-52mpg consistently on the highway and 35-43 in town."

An out of work Italian car designer goes to Tokyo

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Purchased the Insight in 2001 and wouldn't part with it on a bet. Commute over 140 (mostly highway) mile per day. Over 145,000 miles and averaging 55.8 MPG over the lifetime. Depending on the driving conditions (and the leadness of my foot), I have gotten from 475 to 640 miles with 10.6 gallons. Tires are an odd size and have to be special ordered, as I've learned since I'm on my 3rd set. Have had 100% dealer maintenance and the only major items have been a new 12v battery and oil pan replacement. Oil changes every 3500 miles will do that. Tennager hates it so that's a plus (made him learn a stick and take driving test in it), but I'm sure the attitude will change when they are paying for the gas. Turns into "game" to kept instant MPG as high as possible. Had 98.2 average for the first 110 after fillup, then traffic, hills and other evil influences presented themselves. Downhill with wind the car literally flies once the speedometer reaches 100+ due to the weight. You only do that once just to be able to say you did. As previous review stated. great "three season" vehicle."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"Great car, qualifies for carpool lane with one driver here in california. saves hours off my commute each day and i have saved thousands of dollars in gas the last 7 years. great for road trips. i love my insight. good luck finding one!"

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I have loved this car from the day i purchased it. Have not had any problems with it at all and wit the 50+ miles i get per gallon what more can say. I even got 65 Mile/Gal on a trip to Virginia. The only thing i wonder it why did Honda stop making a car that is so great."

Wow! Way more than exceeded my expectations!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Built by the Acura NSX factory in Japan"

Cons: "Could be more comfortable."

"I bought this car to do deliveries because of gas prices and I went from a Suzuki swift gt getting 17 miles to the gallon to 40 mpg in the insight cutting my gas costs mor than in half! I get 65 mpg on the freeway even though I am a led foot and the car feels solid even at 90 mph because of it's aerodynamics and tight suspension. This car handle corners like a go cart but does understeer a little but in a very controllabe way. I do the hardest kind of driving and have had no problems with the car! Brakes and tires and oilchanges and I am all good. I did have charging issue but the dealer upgraded to the second generation battery pack for free at 80 k and they say the batteries should last 157k so I have lots more miles on this unbreakable little head turner of a car. I do not recommend this car as a family car because it is a 2 seater but I highly recommend this car for any body that commutes or delivers or needs a fun sporty little head turner that won't break the bank. there is a slight learning curve on driving this car because of the recharge driving and I suggest you get the stick rather than the cvt version because you get better mileage and more power control. Buy this car! You won't regret it!"