2005 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Fantastic fuel mileage, fun.

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Owned since 2000, 48 mpg lifetime average but located in hilly area in NH. Did get 77 mpg on a 100 mile trip from Canadian border southward on Interstate, but had to work at it. Not recommended for snow, too light, will not penetrate snow cover well, so use other cars in winter. Love to drive the car, for the smile it puts on when passing gas stations with $3.29 gas. Genuinely fun to drive, would drive it rather than many other cars I own, including a Porsche 993-C4. I'm not saying it is more FUN than a Porsche, but it definately is less likely to result in a traffic ticket, because the Insight elicits sympathy, whereas the 911 elicits envy and more visibility, AND the gas mileage is a huge kick. I can remember when I was 25 yrs. old and good gas mileage was 28 mpg with a VW beetle, and gas was up to 75 cents per gallon in 1977. My purchase of the car in 2000 was based on my salute to the fine engineering of it rather than the payback with fuel, because I don't have that many miles (15k) on the odometer compared to the average for this year (79K). The instrumentation allows you to monitor and manipulate your driving technique to get better mileage. Wish someone would sell an aftermarket kit to plug it in at night, to further improve the mileage potential. Too bad they discontinued the car from Honda. Love the fact that the used car value is low, means I can look for a good deal on a used one. On long trips, the seats can be a little uncomfortable, but adding a piece of foam from a BJ's Club store mattress overlay cut to shape solved that for less than $70. Will hold surprising amount of store purchases when the passenger seat and hatchback used fully. Have carried 10' lumber and pipes when necessary with hatchback open and articles put up at windshield with foam protection on ends. Did I say this car is fun to drive? It is fun to drive. Peole who say it is sluggish simply don't bother to rev it out to the red line, which is probably why my 48 mpg is lower than most people. It flies, have topped out at 102 mph downhill. It will "hunt around wandering a few inches from side to side on roads that have depressions in them due to heavy truck traffic, which can be annoying or disconcerting depending on your tolerance level. Fortunately this phenomena is rare, in my area it is only on one particular uphill stretch of interstate near a crushed-rock dump truck fill site. It really is neat to have the air conditioning on with the outside temp at 90 + and to get 96 mpg from home to the local Wal-Mart which is 12 miles away. Unfortunately on the way home it is all up hill so mileage drops down to 60 mpg average round trip. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. Only problem has been fake chrome on the door handle peeled off, and some interior trim has to be pushed back in place now and then. And the anti-theft device which at several times in 7 years disabled the car until the dealer gave me the 3 minute technique of getting around it. This can be caused by using the wrong Honda key in the ignition. I paid for the entire Honda dealership service manual which is extensive, but have only referred to it for fun, like reading about how the braking system regenerates power to store in the special battery pack, which is below the rear luggage area. You can trick the car into generating more stored electricity by dragging the foot brake pedal a tiny bit early going down hills, especially helpful when you know you are coming to a stop sign. I love this car, and have actually searched for a accident parts car for long in the future when I MAY need spare parts. I would not want to be in this if someone else hit me, because at only 1800 pounds I am going to come out the loser in a weight contest. I am very attentive to that kind of situation, as I don't want to pay the ultimate price for my high fuel mileage fun. There are some internet clubs talking about a kit which allows you to do some trick stuff to further improve fuel mileage, but I haven't bothered yet. I am very satisfied with 48 mpg lifetime average, which is always displayed on the dash at the push of a button. I have test driven the Toyota Prius which has fantastic engineering but the fuel mileage penalty to me makes the Prius a poor value at the new prices. (Yes, I did pay about the same for the Honda Insight in 2000, at $21,000. but the Prius was not available then. I am looking forward to additional exciting engineering from the Japenese in the near future. I'd love to buy that LS600 in 2008, but the UPCOMING Lexus hybrid is over $100,000. reportedly, and the fuel mileage is only about 28 mpg highway. Let's see, 48 and 1800 lbs. car weight, or 28 mpg and 5000+ pounds. The 100k $ price kills it."

What a fun way to commute...backroads fwy- Rgr8!!!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, easy to park , technology works, green"

Cons: "< storage, trade stiff ride for mileage=ok 4 me"

"I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this car when I bought it used last month for 6k. Body is Excellent, inside is plain but ok for me, and it had a new battery pack installed recently and it is a blast to drive for milage or like a regular car when i'm slightly late for work. As a newbie, I easily attained 52mpg right away with the CVT (auto). I have never been a fan of small cars but this changed my mind. It handles very well on country roads...ride is low and stiff like a go-cart but there is no creaking and it is built well. Headroom is gr8, seats fine, storage is minimal but perfect for commute and quick runs to town when milage matters and I don't want to start my main gas guzzler up. The new Insights are so bland compared to this puppy...but they would hold my family once i decide to ditch our larger cars.....I may have to try a Prius but i'm not too excited about it yet."

"Fun" sports car - excellent mileage 46 to 55 mpg

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive - great mileage (46 to 55 mpg)"

Cons: "two seater - low to get into and out of - no cruise control"

"The car handles very well - very responsive steering - mileage has been excellent throughout ownership - 46 to 55 both highway and local driving - The only drawbacks are the fact that it is a two seater and low to the ground which makes getting into and out challenging if you are not in A one physical condition. This is a "fun" car."

Best commuter / city car

By on Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I love this vehicle, its fun to drive, reliable, efficient. The handling is tight and responsive, has great road feel. The five speed is fun and smooth. I've got a heavy right foot and do mostly city driving and have been getting about 45 mpg. On long road trips cruising on the freeway (60 to 70 mph) it gets 60 mpg! Minor gripes; The seats do not recline very far do to the traction battery placement. That's fine for most day to day use. But on long road trip I would like to put the seat back further. The headliner is sagging a little near the opening for the hatch back. I had the headliner replaced at the dealer, but the new one they put in is starting to sag a little. The carpeting near the drivers left foot has detached from the side of the car near the door. Not a big deal just need a new plastic clip for it. Other than those two things the fit and finish is excellent."

Great gas mileage

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"consistent 60 mpg, average 55 city and highway on a automatic, i drive pretty hard, had this car for 3 months, great car, ample storage for my means (carpool commute), comfortable seats, good visibility, cruising at 75mph feels like 50mph, finding myself needing to slowing down all the time, handling is very good."

95+ MPG

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my '00 used back in '06 because I was driving 3500+ miles a month and it was cheaper to add this car to my collection that it was to feed my truck's gas-appetite. I regularly made runs from San Diego to Los Angeles and Irvine getting 90 - 95 MPG using hypermiling techniques. If not for the limitations of the human bladder, you could drive this little car the length of California on 10 gallons...from Yreka to Tijuana...without ever stopping. My lifetime average was around 64 MPG when I sold it last year. I miss the little guy, but I moved and have a super-short commute now and wanted someone else to enjoy it! I got $4000 above the KBB private party value because gas was $4.00 a gallon and Insights were impossible to find used! After adding 69,000 miles to the little guy, I sold it for $300 less than I bought it for. Amazing."

Honda Insight

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Insight as a second owner since 2004 and this vehicle is excellent! We bought it as a commuter vehicle, and it has been so much more. This car defines basic transportation, because it does everything so predictably well. I have taken a few long distance trips in it and enjoyed not paying a lot for gas, but after a few hours, I can notice how stiff the ride really is. Honda saved weight by putting in a minimal suspension. I still don't mind the weight saving measures on the Insight because we have saved so much money by owning it. Maintenance has been minimal over the years too. I have only replaced the tires once. I finally replaced the front brake pads last spring. With the weight of the car being so low and the engine doing the majority of the braking anyway, brakes don't see the same extreme conditions that conventional vehicle brakes experience. I changed the starter battery once. The only other maintenance that I have needed to has been routine oil and filter changes. The 3 liter engine only takes 2.6 quarts of oil, so oil changes don't even cost much. I don't think I will ever get rid of my Insight because I am so pleased with it!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "super mileage when you learn to drive for mileage"

Cons: "drive like normal car, gets only 60-70 mpg"

"It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It takes a little bit of learning to keep the mileage up because of both the lean burn engine and the electric motor. Once you figure it out it is easy to get awesome mileage. My best was 1016 miles with a fill of 10.2 gallons 99.6 mpg. Granted I was on back roads and only driving 45-50 mph. My overall mileage has been 75. During the summer it is fairly easy to maintain low to mid 80s if you drive for fuel mileage. Even with 120,000 miles it still is solid with no rattles. The interior shows very little wear except for the carpeting. Because of the aluminum construction it is imposable to rust. Over all, if you can find one grab it, they are hard to find and only getting harder."

Excellent Engineering

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"RE: 2001 Insight 80K miles (purchased new in 2002) Best Feature(s): Reliability & Dependability as evidenced through quality of engineering. Fuel efficiency is amazing. Before handing this car off to my wife I used to run it Portland to Seattle every other week at 75-80mph. I'd arrive home after the round trip and driving around Seattle for 4 days with a 1/4 tank of gas still intact. Yah Baby! Worst Feature: Cabin/Road Noise. This is not a sound proofed car - not really a big deal from my take. Road noise is bad on rough concrete. The flip side is this - get on a smooth new asphalt road and you run silent/quiet/stealth. It reminds me of being in a sailplane absent the wind rush. Overall: Grab onto one of these truly ahead of it's time cars. They will be a collector piece. Peace"

The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and fun to drive."

Cons: "Small interior"

"The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!! Great gas mileage and fun to drive. Small interior"