• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2005 Honda Insight

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

its got mpg but whers honda relyibility

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Reason: no relibility

Pros: "mpg"

Cons: "everything els"

"no releibility good mpg but what a money pit its 7 years old and almost 7,597 in repaers no more hondas for me"

I won't buy another Hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Good daily drive for in city. Easy to Park"

Cons: "Uncomfortable to ride long distances"

"I just installed my second IMA ( integrated motor assist) battery t 97K miles. If it wasn't for the warranty that was extended to ten years after a recall I would be looking at a $4000 repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The battery and control module was replaced three years ago and that would have been $5000 if it weren't for the recall. The ride is rough and I only get about 42 mpg average. If I know it is going to rain I take my other vehicle because it is not good on wet roads. Standard maintenance is very expensive."

For Economy, Ecology, Reliability, Best Ever Made

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Ideal if you care whether humans exist in 200 yrs."

Cons: "Bad news if you like to spend lots on gas/repairs."

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

"Driving 50-60 mph, I averaged 94 miles per gallon on a 2,000-mile trip at 6,500 feet elevation through NM/WY mountain passes. The car's lifetime average of 70 mpg was achieved mostly around town at 7,100 feet elevation, both of which reduce efficiency. Best medium-range run: Santa Fe to Albuquerque, 70 miles, 129 miles per gallon. Best Santa Fe-to-Taos, NM run, driving from 7100 feet elevation down to 5,000 and back up again to 7,000: 117 mpg. Except for free recalls and free battery replacement, this car has never been serviced (I do oil and filter changes, adjusted valves once myself, replaced plugs once; the car still has all original fluids, original brake pads--rears still 90 percent--original clutch, 2nd set of tires). I almost never rev the engine past 2,000 rpm. I am quite convinced the car, which can't rust since there's nothing to rust on it, will be running strong and looking good well after I'm in eco-heaven. I drive to get the most out of the car and be kindest to the environment: coast down hills, regenerate instead of mechanical-brake up to lights, accelerate gently, shift at 10, 15, 25, and 30 mph to get to 5th gear. By now--over 10 years--this driving behavior is second-nature and completly automatic. Only two things are truly awful regarding this car: 1) Honda barely advertised it, and 2) almost nobody bought it. Kudos to Honda for designing it--a marvel of engineering and seamless hybrid reliability. And shame on them for not advertising it more aggressively. Shame, too, on the affluent world for not buying it, particularly those who claim a modicum of concern about our species' future. If reliability, economy of operation, and impact on the environment are the measures, then this in my opinion is the best car manufactured to date. (The Toyota Prius, with half the fuel economy and twice as many engines, is in a very different, lesser, league.)"

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

What a fun way to commute...backroads fwy- Rgr8!!!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, easy to park , technology works, green"

Cons: "< storage, trade stiff ride for mileage=ok 4 me"

"I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this car when I bought it used last month for 6k. Body is Excellent, inside is plain but ok for me, and it had a new battery pack installed recently and it is a blast to drive for milage or like a regular car when i'm slightly late for work. As a newbie, I easily attained 52mpg right away with the CVT (auto). I have never been a fan of small cars but this changed my mind. It handles very well on country roads...ride is low and stiff like a go-cart but there is no creaking and it is built well. Headroom is gr8, seats fine, storage is minimal but perfect for commute and quick runs to town when milage matters and I don't want to start my main gas guzzler up. The new Insights are so bland compared to this puppy...but they would hold my family once i decide to ditch our larger cars.....I may have to try a Prius but i'm not too excited about it yet."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "super mileage when you learn to drive for mileage"

Cons: "drive like normal car, gets only 60-70 mpg"

"It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It takes a little bit of learning to keep the mileage up because of both the lean burn engine and the electric motor. Once you figure it out it is easy to get awesome mileage. My best was 1016 miles with a fill of 10.2 gallons 99.6 mpg. Granted I was on back roads and only driving 45-50 mph. My overall mileage has been 75. During the summer it is fairly easy to maintain low to mid 80s if you drive for fuel mileage. Even with 120,000 miles it still is solid with no rattles. The interior shows very little wear except for the carpeting. Because of the aluminum construction it is imposable to rust. Over all, if you can find one grab it, they are hard to find and only getting harder."

See if you qualify for