2005 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

What a fun way to commute...backroads fwy- Rgr8!!!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, easy to park , technology works, green"

Cons: "< storage, trade stiff ride for mileage=ok 4 me"

"I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this car when I bought it used last month for 6k. Body is Excellent, inside is plain but ok for me, and it had a new battery pack installed recently and it is a blast to drive for milage or like a regular car when i'm slightly late for work. As a newbie, I easily attained 52mpg right away with the CVT (auto). I have never been a fan of small cars but this changed my mind. It handles very well on country roads...ride is low and stiff like a go-cart but there is no creaking and it is built well. Headroom is gr8, seats fine, storage is minimal but perfect for commute and quick runs to town when milage matters and I don't want to start my main gas guzzler up. The new Insights are so bland compared to this puppy...but they would hold my family once i decide to ditch our larger cars.....I may have to try a Prius but i'm not too excited about it yet."

95+ MPG

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my '00 used back in '06 because I was driving 3500+ miles a month and it was cheaper to add this car to my collection that it was to feed my truck's gas-appetite. I regularly made runs from San Diego to Los Angeles and Irvine getting 90 - 95 MPG using hypermiling techniques. If not for the limitations of the human bladder, you could drive this little car the length of California on 10 gallons...from Yreka to Tijuana...without ever stopping. My lifetime average was around 64 MPG when I sold it last year. I miss the little guy, but I moved and have a super-short commute now and wanted someone else to enjoy it! I got $4000 above the KBB private party value because gas was $4.00 a gallon and Insights were impossible to find used! After adding 69,000 miles to the little guy, I sold it for $300 less than I bought it for. Amazing."

Great gas mileage

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"consistent 60 mpg, average 55 city and highway on a automatic, i drive pretty hard, had this car for 3 months, great car, ample storage for my means (carpool commute), comfortable seats, good visibility, cruising at 75mph feels like 50mph, finding myself needing to slowing down all the time, handling is very good."

Honda Insight

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Insight as a second owner since 2004 and this vehicle is excellent! We bought it as a commuter vehicle, and it has been so much more. This car defines basic transportation, because it does everything so predictably well. I have taken a few long distance trips in it and enjoyed not paying a lot for gas, but after a few hours, I can notice how stiff the ride really is. Honda saved weight by putting in a minimal suspension. I still don't mind the weight saving measures on the Insight because we have saved so much money by owning it. Maintenance has been minimal over the years too. I have only replaced the tires once. I finally replaced the front brake pads last spring. With the weight of the car being so low and the engine doing the majority of the braking anyway, brakes don't see the same extreme conditions that conventional vehicle brakes experience. I changed the starter battery once. The only other maintenance that I have needed to has been routine oil and filter changes. The 3 liter engine only takes 2.6 quarts of oil, so oil changes don't even cost much. I don't think I will ever get rid of my Insight because I am so pleased with it!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "super mileage when you learn to drive for mileage"

Cons: "drive like normal car, gets only 60-70 mpg"

"It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It takes a little bit of learning to keep the mileage up because of both the lean burn engine and the electric motor. Once you figure it out it is easy to get awesome mileage. My best was 1016 miles with a fill of 10.2 gallons 99.6 mpg. Granted I was on back roads and only driving 45-50 mph. My overall mileage has been 75. During the summer it is fairly easy to maintain low to mid 80s if you drive for fuel mileage. Even with 120,000 miles it still is solid with no rattles. The interior shows very little wear except for the carpeting. Because of the aluminum construction it is imposable to rust. Over all, if you can find one grab it, they are hard to find and only getting harder."

Excellent Engineering

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"RE: 2001 Insight 80K miles (purchased new in 2002) Best Feature(s): Reliability & Dependability as evidenced through quality of engineering. Fuel efficiency is amazing. Before handing this car off to my wife I used to run it Portland to Seattle every other week at 75-80mph. I'd arrive home after the round trip and driving around Seattle for 4 days with a 1/4 tank of gas still intact. Yah Baby! Worst Feature: Cabin/Road Noise. This is not a sound proofed car - not really a big deal from my take. Road noise is bad on rough concrete. The flip side is this - get on a smooth new asphalt road and you run silent/quiet/stealth. It reminds me of being in a sailplane absent the wind rush. Overall: Grab onto one of these truly ahead of it's time cars. They will be a collector piece. Peace"

The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!!

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and fun to drive."

Cons: "Small interior"

"The best car I've ever owned. Still gets 54 mpg!! Great gas mileage and fun to drive. Small interior"

It is what it is

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Pays for itself at the pump."

Cons: "Only two seats."

"The biggest complaint people have about my car is that it's too low to the ground and therefore hard to get in and out of. I have to agree with this statement. I find it very comfortable once I'm in though, unlike the Prius which I can't fit in at all. I'm a 6'3" 320lb man. I've always felt like it needed a better suspension system. They aren't kidding about the 350lb max load. Once two adults are in, it drastically changes the dynamics of the car. Needless to say, it becomes a very bumpy ride. But overall I love this car. I can't imagine though, how I would feel about the automatic version of this car. It would probably be really slow to me. Also, even though I drive it crazy and I load it way over the max load, I still get 45-52mpg consistently on the highway and 35-43 in town."

An out of work Italian car designer goes to Tokyo

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Purchased the Insight in 2001 and wouldn't part with it on a bet. Commute over 140 (mostly highway) mile per day. Over 145,000 miles and averaging 55.8 MPG over the lifetime. Depending on the driving conditions (and the leadness of my foot), I have gotten from 475 to 640 miles with 10.6 gallons. Tires are an odd size and have to be special ordered, as I've learned since I'm on my 3rd set. Have had 100% dealer maintenance and the only major items have been a new 12v battery and oil pan replacement. Oil changes every 3500 miles will do that. Tennager hates it so that's a plus (made him learn a stick and take driving test in it), but I'm sure the attitude will change when they are paying for the gas. Turns into "game" to kept instant MPG as high as possible. Had 98.2 average for the first 110 after fillup, then traffic, hills and other evil influences presented themselves. Downhill with wind the car literally flies once the speedometer reaches 100+ due to the weight. You only do that once just to be able to say you did. As previous review stated. great "three season" vehicle."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"Great car, qualifies for carpool lane with one driver here in california. saves hours off my commute each day and i have saved thousands of dollars in gas the last 7 years. great for road trips. i love my insight. good luck finding one!"

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I have loved this car from the day i purchased it. Have not had any problems with it at all and wit the 50+ miles i get per gallon what more can say. I even got 65 Mile/Gal on a trip to Virginia. The only thing i wonder it why did Honda stop making a car that is so great."

Wow! Way more than exceeded my expectations!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Built by the Acura NSX factory in Japan"

Cons: "Could be more comfortable."

"I bought this car to do deliveries because of gas prices and I went from a Suzuki swift gt getting 17 miles to the gallon to 40 mpg in the insight cutting my gas costs mor than in half! I get 65 mpg on the freeway even though I am a led foot and the car feels solid even at 90 mph because of it's aerodynamics and tight suspension. This car handle corners like a go cart but does understeer a little but in a very controllabe way. I do the hardest kind of driving and have had no problems with the car! Brakes and tires and oilchanges and I am all good. I did have charging issue but the dealer upgraded to the second generation battery pack for free at 80 k and they say the batteries should last 157k so I have lots more miles on this unbreakable little head turner of a car. I do not recommend this car as a family car because it is a 2 seater but I highly recommend this car for any body that commutes or delivers or needs a fun sporty little head turner that won't break the bank. there is a slight learning curve on driving this car because of the recharge driving and I suggest you get the stick rather than the cvt version because you get better mileage and more power control. Buy this car! You won't regret it!"

Wonderful car

By on Friday, April 22, 2011

"This car is amazing. I bought it used and have had no issues to date. The fuel mileage is unbelievable! I drive mostly highway in my daily commute. I take it easy on the accelerator and routinely average 71MPG on regular 87 octane gasoline. I own a 5 speed manual and the acceleration is more than sufficient. If I get into the gas and drive it aggressively, my mileage will "drop" to around 60MPG in combined city/highway driving. The interior is surprisingly roomy for such a small vehicle. I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. My only complaint is that the car does not come with tilt steering. However, because the steering wheel design allows for easy viewing of all the gauges, lack if tilt is only a minor annoyance. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to save significant money on fuel costs."

unbeatable

By on Saturday, January 22, 2011

"owned since new. lifetime mpg is 48 under all driving conditions. It still looks new.. corrosion will never be a problem as it's aluminum and plastic. replacement batteries appear to be a non-issue. snow tires render it unstoppable. I was looking forward to the CRZ, but all things considered I think I'll just keep this thing forever !"

love this car

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"this is a sports car that gets 50 plus mpg. my favorite car...ever!"

Incredible MPG

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"2001 blue manual transmission, 65k 58mpg lifetime. I have put 30,000 miles on it since i bought it and have brought the lifetime mpg up from 52 to 58 so far. I routinely get 75mpg. My record is 82mpg driving from Akron to Dayton (200 miles). My wife usually gets 65mpg (lead foot). I am 6'3" and the car is more than roomy enough for me. Although the ride quality is poor, it gives it a very sporty feel. It is actually very responsive and fun to drive because of it! I have not modified the car, and I see no reason to do so given that it already gets such great mpg. I will note the engine that comes with the manual transmission is different from the automatic. The automatic does not have lean-burn mode, therefore the mpg will be slightly less (55-65), but still amazing!"

fell apart after warranty expired

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"Warranty expired in september, have had three engine control modules (computer) installed since then, problems with wiring harness and issues (holes) with the gas tank. The gas tank is plastic, Honda says it is unavailable and they have no plan for when a tank might become available."

Saving Gas

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"In my personal opinion, leg room is terrific for people with long legs. Plenty of headroom as well. All digital displays (including real time and overall gas mileage) enhance interior styling. Hatch is great for easy storage with access from the front. This car is great for long trips because the horsepower assisting battery charges best during highway driving, but it never runs out anyways and drives just like any other car. I took mine to Florida and back without a problem for under $120 in gas round trip in 2007, even with over 100,000 miles already on it in under 8 years. Visibility driving is the best I've driven. One of those cars that you drive till they drop just for the economic benefits. One final note, my car has a lifetime total of 56 miles per gallon. That's something to think about when thinking about buying."

unbeatable

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"while individual drivers skill and the variations in individual commutes will result in variation in mpg.... the Honda Insight WILL get better mpg than any other vehicle ( except PHEV ) over the same drive, when averaged out over a year. This is a collectors car aluminum body ( very rare )... 150,000 mile Honda warranty on the Hybrid parts... car can easily be modified to run without the NiMH battery if you are over 150,000 miles and it wears out. Mine is a 2000 , standard, with AC and over 115,000 miles... only issues have been normal repairs for any car and repairs from being hit by another car. I have had after market improvements added... but the car is rock solid stock... If you want a boat that you never feel the road... this is not the car for you... if you like a more sporty road feel you'll love it."

Luv my Insight!

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I love the excellent MPG's. I can easily go 500-550 miles between fill ups and only need to fill up 2-3 times per month. Accelerates well and is very reliable. I haven't had any problems with my 2005 Insight at all. The factory stereo left something to be desired, but a quick trip to Circuit City fixed that issue. The only way, I'd get consider getting rid of my "Iggy" is if something comes along that uses less gasoline. So far, that hasn't happend."

Reliable, quick, efficient

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"Great commuter vehicle with considerably more room than expected. Drove form Boston to Chicago and back on less than two 11gal. tanks, at 80 MPH most of the way, with my wife. We were comfortable- (We're both under 6 feet) Averaged 59 MPG on the trip. Everyday average is 54-55 MPG with 60% highway. There is a Blizzak snow and ice tire for this car. It changes the car from 3 to 4-season instantly."

Excellent Car

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Wonderful experience since owning this very economical auto. Purchashed new in 2001, vehicle currently has 125000 miles on it and we have had very few problems with it. POOR ABS system though and poor in deep snow, great 3 season vehicle> we have averaged 55.4 MPG overall."

Best car ever

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"This is the best and most satisfying car I have ever driven. I get 75 mpg on the highway if I keep it at 55 mph, and it is the most maneuverable car in the city. It is very well made and a great car. Too bad people are afraid of buying such a little car."

Best commuter in the World

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"This is the Best Commuter Car in the World. Reasonable price, peppy, comfortable, great climate control and last but not least Fantastic mileage at nearly 60mpg over 80,000 miles of use on freeways and in town in Southern Calif. Top speed (observed) 109 mph. Top mileage, 75 mpg. Reliable with great service; cheap to own."

It's a keeper

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Many people think a hybrid in general may be sluggish. I have had a couple of tickets with this car. I drive it and it performs like a race car. I get an average of 46 miles to the gallon. When I drive nicely though, I have gotton up to 69 mpg on long road trips. I love it. People always ask, "yea but does the savings in fuel really offset the extra price". They are not taking in consideration the very main fact of why it was designed and that is to curb pollution. My honda insight is the only car I know that doesn't stink."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next