2003 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Insight Hybrid... The Best

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Bought this 2000 Insight used 4 1/2 years ago (2/2003) and it hasn't had a moments problem. Gas mileage will easily average 60+ and the ride is amazingly good for a car this size. Perfect for work commute or 2 people on a weekend trip. I have absolutely no complaints."

Fantastic Car

By on Friday, April 20, 2007

"Delivers on every avenue; terrific mileage at average of over 61 mpg. Good power, excellent storage. Outstanding reliability. Will definitely buy another for my fleet and recommend to everyone as a very responsible, practical auto for today's commuters."

I am just sad they changed it.

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Economy rocks, comfort even for 6'4" is amazing"

Cons: "they dont make them any more"

"I drove the new Insight and about cried, nothing as cool as this little car for comfort and economy. So sad that this model I wont be able to replace. Do not plan on getting a new car until this one totally dies. I love it!"

Great "Little" Commuter

By on Friday, September 03, 2010

"Stress on the LITTLE. But it gets better economy and comfort than my motorcycle. Perfect for my 110 mile a day commute. I can easily get 55mpg and 60 on a good day. You will want after market stereo and speakers. I am a LARGE person (6'3" 300lbs) and I fit comfortably in this car. It is just very low to the ground. Plenty of headroom."

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"Perfect car for a couple with pets! A few of it's star qualities: 1.) The best fuel mileage that I have ever seen. 2.) Very cute. People laughed when I first purchased this little "space-pod" styled car that boasted awesome mpg. Mind you this was in 2002 when huge SUV's were the most popular vehicles on the road... NOBODY'S LAUGHING NOW! 3.) surprisingly roomy interior with an ultra-quiet engine."

Still the best

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"This has been a surprisingly dependable car. Other than a weak starter battery, it has never failed me. The hybrid power system has been flawless in its performance and reliability and the fuel economy is still the best of any production car."

Incredible Gas Mileage

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Our 2001 Insight stick shift has exceeded our wildest dreams. In the real world driving of Chicagoland, it gets 60-70 mpg highway, 35 -50 city/suburban mpg. For the life of the car it's gotten 45.3 mpg - not bad considering how cold Chicagoland winters are. Great instrument panel! The car has been a joy to drive -- you only wonder how much Honda wished it was still selling new ones here. Rumor is that the 2009 Fit hybrid will be based on the Insight's drive train."

well worth every penny

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"it's a shame that honda quit making this vehicle in the US - it's a show stopper"

Great Road Car

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"60+ miles per gallon, exceptional styling, durability and efficiency make this my favorite car."

For Economy, Ecology, Reliability, Best Ever Made

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Ideal if you care whether humans exist in 200 yrs."

Cons: "Bad news if you like to spend lots on gas/repairs."

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

"Driving 50-60 mph, I averaged 94 miles per gallon on a 2,000-mile trip at 6,500 feet elevation through NM/WY mountain passes. The car's lifetime average of 70 mpg was achieved mostly around town at 7,100 feet elevation, both of which reduce efficiency. Best medium-range run: Santa Fe to Albuquerque, 70 miles, 129 miles per gallon. Best Santa Fe-to-Taos, NM run, driving from 7100 feet elevation down to 5,000 and back up again to 7,000: 117 mpg. Except for free recalls and free battery replacement, this car has never been serviced (I do oil and filter changes, adjusted valves once myself, replaced plugs once; the car still has all original fluids, original brake pads--rears still 90 percent--original clutch, 2nd set of tires). I almost never rev the engine past 2,000 rpm. I am quite convinced the car, which can't rust since there's nothing to rust on it, will be running strong and looking good well after I'm in eco-heaven. I drive to get the most out of the car and be kindest to the environment: coast down hills, regenerate instead of mechanical-brake up to lights, accelerate gently, shift at 10, 15, 25, and 30 mph to get to 5th gear. By now--over 10 years--this driving behavior is second-nature and completly automatic. Only two things are truly awful regarding this car: 1) Honda barely advertised it, and 2) almost nobody bought it. Kudos to Honda for designing it--a marvel of engineering and seamless hybrid reliability. And shame on them for not advertising it more aggressively. Shame, too, on the affluent world for not buying it, particularly those who claim a modicum of concern about our species' future. If reliability, economy of operation, and impact on the environment are the measures, then this in my opinion is the best car manufactured to date. (The Toyota Prius, with half the fuel economy and twice as many engines, is in a very different, lesser, league.)"

94 mpg (left) over 1,400 mi (right)and that's at 6,500 feet elevation)

Fantastic fuel mileage, fun.

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Owned since 2000, 48 mpg lifetime average but located in hilly area in NH. Did get 77 mpg on a 100 mile trip from Canadian border southward on Interstate, but had to work at it. Not recommended for snow, too light, will not penetrate snow cover well, so use other cars in winter. Love to drive the car, for the smile it puts on when passing gas stations with $3.29 gas. Genuinely fun to drive, would drive it rather than many other cars I own, including a Porsche 993-C4. I'm not saying it is more FUN than a Porsche, but it definately is less likely to result in a traffic ticket, because the Insight elicits sympathy, whereas the 911 elicits envy and more visibility, AND the gas mileage is a huge kick. I can remember when I was 25 yrs. old and good gas mileage was 28 mpg with a VW beetle, and gas was up to 75 cents per gallon in 1977. My purchase of the car in 2000 was based on my salute to the fine engineering of it rather than the payback with fuel, because I don't have that many miles (15k) on the odometer compared to the average for this year (79K). The instrumentation allows you to monitor and manipulate your driving technique to get better mileage. Wish someone would sell an aftermarket kit to plug it in at night, to further improve the mileage potential. Too bad they discontinued the car from Honda. Love the fact that the used car value is low, means I can look for a good deal on a used one. On long trips, the seats can be a little uncomfortable, but adding a piece of foam from a BJ's Club store mattress overlay cut to shape solved that for less than $70. Will hold surprising amount of store purchases when the passenger seat and hatchback used fully. Have carried 10' lumber and pipes when necessary with hatchback open and articles put up at windshield with foam protection on ends. Did I say this car is fun to drive? It is fun to drive. Peole who say it is sluggish simply don't bother to rev it out to the red line, which is probably why my 48 mpg is lower than most people. It flies, have topped out at 102 mph downhill. It will "hunt around wandering a few inches from side to side on roads that have depressions in them due to heavy truck traffic, which can be annoying or disconcerting depending on your tolerance level. Fortunately this phenomena is rare, in my area it is only on one particular uphill stretch of interstate near a crushed-rock dump truck fill site. It really is neat to have the air conditioning on with the outside temp at 90 + and to get 96 mpg from home to the local Wal-Mart which is 12 miles away. Unfortunately on the way home it is all up hill so mileage drops down to 60 mpg average round trip. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. Only problem has been fake chrome on the door handle peeled off, and some interior trim has to be pushed back in place now and then. And the anti-theft device which at several times in 7 years disabled the car until the dealer gave me the 3 minute technique of getting around it. This can be caused by using the wrong Honda key in the ignition. I paid for the entire Honda dealership service manual which is extensive, but have only referred to it for fun, like reading about how the braking system regenerates power to store in the special battery pack, which is below the rear luggage area. You can trick the car into generating more stored electricity by dragging the foot brake pedal a tiny bit early going down hills, especially helpful when you know you are coming to a stop sign. I love this car, and have actually searched for a accident parts car for long in the future when I MAY need spare parts. I would not want to be in this if someone else hit me, because at only 1800 pounds I am going to come out the loser in a weight contest. I am very attentive to that kind of situation, as I don't want to pay the ultimate price for my high fuel mileage fun. There are some internet clubs talking about a kit which allows you to do some trick stuff to further improve fuel mileage, but I haven't bothered yet. I am very satisfied with 48 mpg lifetime average, which is always displayed on the dash at the push of a button. I have test driven the Toyota Prius which has fantastic engineering but the fuel mileage penalty to me makes the Prius a poor value at the new prices. (Yes, I did pay about the same for the Honda Insight in 2000, at $21,000. but the Prius was not available then. I am looking forward to additional exciting engineering from the Japenese in the near future. I'd love to buy that LS600 in 2008, but the UPCOMING Lexus hybrid is over $100,000. reportedly, and the fuel mileage is only about 28 mpg highway. Let's see, 48 and 1800 lbs. car weight, or 28 mpg and 5000+ pounds. The 100k $ price kills it."

Amazing little car!

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Amazing MPG, well engineered, excellent durability"

Cons: "Only 67hp forces you to modify how you drive!"

"My Insight is about to turn over 300K and it's been a wonderful car. I average about 60-65mpg, but in the right conditions it can do significantly better than that. If you're considering buying an insight, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading the articles and forums at Insightcentral.net. The dealers and mechanics don't know much about these cars and insightcentral will save you lots of headaches with incompetent service people. Every detail of this car was optimized for light weight and aerodynamics in order to make it as fuel efficient as possible. Sadly, in the twelve years since this car was introduced nobody has stepped up and tried to make a car that comes anywhere near it's efficiency. This is an excellent road trip car. Do the math. 10.5 gallons of gas in the tank will get you at least 600 miles at a cost of something like $35 and gets two people and all of their stuff (you can fit an eight foot surfboard inside the car and close the hatch... ask me how I know)"

Its a Honda Enough Said

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "amazing MPG and reliability"

Cons: "Main batter pack is the weak link."

Beep

"Amazing MPG and reliability. Purchased car new. Hybrid system worked flawlessly until it reached 90,000. Factory replaced main battery and Catalytic converter. Still running on original clutch with no issues. I replaced the front sway bar links and shocks. Battery pack has 40,000 miles and three years since replacement."

Beep

Best commuter / city car

By on Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I love this vehicle, its fun to drive, reliable, efficient. The handling is tight and responsive, has great road feel. The five speed is fun and smooth. I've got a heavy right foot and do mostly city driving and have been getting about 45 mpg. On long road trips cruising on the freeway (60 to 70 mph) it gets 60 mpg! Minor gripes; The seats do not recline very far do to the traction battery placement. That's fine for most day to day use. But on long road trip I would like to put the seat back further. The headliner is sagging a little near the opening for the hatch back. I had the headliner replaced at the dealer, but the new one they put in is starting to sag a little. The carpeting near the drivers left foot has detached from the side of the car near the door. Not a big deal just need a new plastic clip for it. Other than those two things the fit and finish is excellent."

Doesn't get better than this

By on Sunday, December 07, 2008

""I've owned my Insight for 5 years now. I bought it used with 24,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with it. It's an attention getter. I get asked questions all the time about this car. I've averaged 72 mpg since I bought it. The furthest I've driven on a single tank of 10.6 gallons is from Jacksonville, Florida to the New Jersey Turnpike. For those who don't know a lot about this car here's some info for you. The Insight was the first hybrid car you could purchase in the U.S. only about 18,000 were made in the 6 years it was in production. The car is made out of 80% aluminum, making 40% stronger and lighter than the average car. All Insight's were hand built in Japan and the last one was made on September 21st 2006. If you can find one I strongly suggest getting one!! You'll never drive a better car. I only wish Honda had added cruise control. Hey hopefully with the 2nd generation Insight coming out in 2009 we'll get one. I'm buying that Insight too!!!""

good car, great ful economy , only 2 seats

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, 60 mpg average"

Cons: "they doo not make them anymore ......."

"I bought this car at 196k miles about 4 years ago , Somebody else thought it was at the end of its useful life and traded it in. I bit the bullet and bought it site unseen . Now 96k miles later I think I got a great car and great opportunity . during these years I have spent ~$5k on gas . with my previous car I would have spent roughly 3 times that , so it has saved me $10k so far. It is an old car and at this mileage most cars are retired already, Overall this one holds well, but some parts need replacement when their time comes... I do the repairs diligently as I am planning to have this car for the long run.... Its ride is a little rough , there is room for only two passengers and it is not a sports car with its puny 65 hp (+14 hp of the electric motor) hp. But it does the job and still is a lot of fun to drive. it is made of aluminum so there will be no rust over the years. if you drive a lot this car is one of the best choices that can be made."

Best car ever

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"I have owned my Insight since new ('00), it has 163,000 miles on it. I have only made normal repairs (ECM-Recall, Idler Pully and AC something or other and front brakes at 145K). Other than that, Oil and tires!!! The other reviewers are on the money with their descriptions of this cars abilities and shortcomings. I have a lifetime avg. of 50.0 MPG, with best tanks of 62MPG and 600+ miles (10.5 Gal. tank). I drive the car hard and fast, and it still runs like the day I bought it. 2 yrs ago I thought I needed a sports car and went with an Acura, I could not deal with the frequent fill-ups and the Super Unleaded gas prices. I sold it after 6 months. I sure am glad no one made a serious offer on my Insight. i'll drive it until the wheels fall off (er, forever I guess)!"

"Fun" sports car - excellent mileage 46 to 55 mpg

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive - great mileage (46 to 55 mpg)"

Cons: "two seater - low to get into and out of - no cruise control"

"The car handles very well - very responsive steering - mileage has been excellent throughout ownership - 46 to 55 both highway and local driving - The only drawbacks are the fact that it is a two seater and low to the ground which makes getting into and out challenging if you are not in A one physical condition. This is a "fun" car."

RIDES LIKE A SPORTS CAR, TR3 OR CORVETTE. STIFF

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "I LOVE FILLING IT UP ONLY TWICE PER MONTH."

"ONLY TWO SEATS. LOW SO DIFFICULT FOR SOME TO GET IN AND OUT. ROAD NOISE IS ABOVE AVERAGE. TIRE PRESSURE IS IMPORTANT, LOW AND IT CAN BE HARD TO DRIVE. IT WANTS TO SKATE. MECHANICS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF THEM FOR ANYONE TO BE FAMILURE WITH IT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT THEY DO NOT COME WITH A SPARE TIRE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE TIRE IS. IT IS NOW THE TEST BEFORE THEY CAN WORK ON THE CAR. MILEAGE VARIES SUMMER TO WINTER. IT IS MUCH BETTER IN THE SUMMER. MY BEST EVER WAS 60 MPG FOR 1200 MILE TRIP. WINTER IT CAN GO DOWN TO HIGH 40'S. NARROW WIDTH MAKES IT DIFFICULT IN THE SNOW. IT DOES NOT FIT THE NORMAL TIRE PATHS."

gas saver

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Ever since I bought this car 6 months ago, I had saved thousands of dollars in gas. This was the best buy ever."

This car is amazing. I think and it does.

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "Tall people have difficulty leaving the auto."

"Wonderful automobile. It is a very stable car in that the engine is in the front and the batteries are in the rear. When driving fast, it is areodynamic and uses very little fuel. It picks up speed rapidly when needed. The steering is a 1 to 1 ratio, very tight."

Hate it, rides rough

By on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pros: "good milage, easy to park"

Cons: "no cruise control, rough ride"

"Rides rough. In the Texas summer the AC can not keep up and the milage drops to 40mpg. The seat is one of the most uncomfortable I have ever ridden in. No cruise control. The scheduled maintenance very expensive. The batteries went out at 75K miles. It would have been $5000 dollars if it hadn't been covered by a recall. I have been to to three different dealers for service and I haven't been happy with any of them. There have been a couple of recalls and they were handled in an ineffective manner. The tires are special and in Dallas I could only find one tire dealer near my house that carried them. When the weather is bad the two stage braking ( regenerative then normal) makes it very tricky on wet and or snowy roads. ( Yes, Dallas has snow and ice storms) Terrible blind spots. Average milage after 85 K miles is only 46"

fun and still gets best MPG of all hybrids

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "aerodynamic, cute and reliable"

Cons: "A bit too Low to the ground; noisy on fough roads"

"I love my little Honda insight, it is fun to drive, and has quick, tight response. It accelerates fast if need be, but of course that decreases its magnificent miles-to-the-gallon. It is one of the first 5000 hybrid Hondas and was made in Japan in the year 2000. If anything were to happen to it, I would try to find another 2-door 2-seater Honda Insight."

Glad I bought this car!

By on Saturday, June 13, 2015

Pros: "Wonderfully economical car!"

Cons: "Not enough passenger seat recline for long trips."

"I bought this car new in 2005. Since then, I have replaced the front brakes and done regular oil and filter changes. Nothing else! It has been amazingly economical to drive. Miles per gallon lifetime is 52 MPH. No issues with the big battery, as everyone warned me about when I bought it. Doesn't do well in a lot of snow. It's a nice commuter car."

I won't buy another Hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Good daily drive for in city. Easy to Park"

Cons: "Uncomfortable to ride long distances"

"I just installed my second IMA ( integrated motor assist) battery t 97K miles. If it wasn't for the warranty that was extended to ten years after a recall I would be looking at a $4000 repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The battery and control module was replaced three years ago and that would have been $5000 if it weren't for the recall. The ride is rough and I only get about 42 mpg average. If I know it is going to rain I take my other vehicle because it is not good on wet roads. Standard maintenance is very expensive."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next