• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2002 Honda Insight

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 ... 6 7 8 | Next

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I have loved this car from the day i purchased it. Have not had any problems with it at all and wit the 50+ miles i get per gallon what more can say. I even got 65 Mile/Gal on a trip to Virginia. The only thing i wonder it why did Honda stop making a car that is so great."

Insight Hybrid... The Best

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Bought this 2000 Insight used 4 1/2 years ago (2/2003) and it hasn't had a moments problem. Gas mileage will easily average 60+ and the ride is amazingly good for a car this size. Perfect for work commute or 2 people on a weekend trip. I have absolutely no complaints."

Fantastic fuel mileage, fun.

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Owned since 2000, 48 mpg lifetime average but located in hilly area in NH. Did get 77 mpg on a 100 mile trip from Canadian border southward on Interstate, but had to work at it. Not recommended for snow, too light, will not penetrate snow cover well, so use other cars in winter. Love to drive the car, for the smile it puts on when passing gas stations with $3.29 gas. Genuinely fun to drive, would drive it rather than many other cars I own, including a Porsche 993-C4. I'm not saying it is more FUN than a Porsche, but it definately is less likely to result in a traffic ticket, because the Insight elicits sympathy, whereas the 911 elicits envy and more visibility, AND the gas mileage is a huge kick. I can remember when I was 25 yrs. old and good gas mileage was 28 mpg with a VW beetle, and gas was up to 75 cents per gallon in 1977. My purchase of the car in 2000 was based on my salute to the fine engineering of it rather than the payback with fuel, because I don't have that many miles (15k) on the odometer compared to the average for this year (79K). The instrumentation allows you to monitor and manipulate your driving technique to get better mileage. Wish someone would sell an aftermarket kit to plug it in at night, to further improve the mileage potential. Too bad they discontinued the car from Honda. Love the fact that the used car value is low, means I can look for a good deal on a used one. On long trips, the seats can be a little uncomfortable, but adding a piece of foam from a BJ's Club store mattress overlay cut to shape solved that for less than $70. Will hold surprising amount of store purchases when the passenger seat and hatchback used fully. Have carried 10' lumber and pipes when necessary with hatchback open and articles put up at windshield with foam protection on ends. Did I say this car is fun to drive? It is fun to drive. Peole who say it is sluggish simply don't bother to rev it out to the red line, which is probably why my 48 mpg is lower than most people. It flies, have topped out at 102 mph downhill. It will "hunt around wandering a few inches from side to side on roads that have depressions in them due to heavy truck traffic, which can be annoying or disconcerting depending on your tolerance level. Fortunately this phenomena is rare, in my area it is only on one particular uphill stretch of interstate near a crushed-rock dump truck fill site. It really is neat to have the air conditioning on with the outside temp at 90 + and to get 96 mpg from home to the local Wal-Mart which is 12 miles away. Unfortunately on the way home it is all up hill so mileage drops down to 60 mpg average round trip. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. Only problem has been fake chrome on the door handle peeled off, and some interior trim has to be pushed back in place now and then. And the anti-theft device which at several times in 7 years disabled the car until the dealer gave me the 3 minute technique of getting around it. This can be caused by using the wrong Honda key in the ignition. I paid for the entire Honda dealership service manual which is extensive, but have only referred to it for fun, like reading about how the braking system regenerates power to store in the special battery pack, which is below the rear luggage area. You can trick the car into generating more stored electricity by dragging the foot brake pedal a tiny bit early going down hills, especially helpful when you know you are coming to a stop sign. I love this car, and have actually searched for a accident parts car for long in the future when I MAY need spare parts. I would not want to be in this if someone else hit me, because at only 1800 pounds I am going to come out the loser in a weight contest. I am very attentive to that kind of situation, as I don't want to pay the ultimate price for my high fuel mileage fun. There are some internet clubs talking about a kit which allows you to do some trick stuff to further improve fuel mileage, but I haven't bothered yet. I am very satisfied with 48 mpg lifetime average, which is always displayed on the dash at the push of a button. I have test driven the Toyota Prius which has fantastic engineering but the fuel mileage penalty to me makes the Prius a poor value at the new prices. (Yes, I did pay about the same for the Honda Insight in 2000, at $21,000. but the Prius was not available then. I am looking forward to additional exciting engineering from the Japenese in the near future. I'd love to buy that LS600 in 2008, but the UPCOMING Lexus hybrid is over $100,000. reportedly, and the fuel mileage is only about 28 mpg highway. Let's see, 48 and 1800 lbs. car weight, or 28 mpg and 5000+ pounds. The 100k $ price kills it."

Great gas mileage

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"consistent 60 mpg, average 55 city and highway on a automatic, i drive pretty hard, had this car for 3 months, great car, ample storage for my means (carpool commute), comfortable seats, good visibility, cruising at 75mph feels like 50mph, finding myself needing to slowing down all the time, handling is very good."

Great Road Car

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"60+ miles per gallon, exceptional styling, durability and efficiency make this my favorite car."

Fantastic Car

By on Friday, April 20, 2007

"Delivers on every avenue; terrific mileage at average of over 61 mpg. Good power, excellent storage. Outstanding reliability. Will definitely buy another for my fleet and recommend to everyone as a very responsible, practical auto for today's commuters."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25