2002 Honda Insight

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

What a fun way to commute...backroads fwy- Rgr8!!!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "MPG, easy to park , technology works, green"

Cons: "< storage, trade stiff ride for mileage=ok 4 me"

"I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this car when I bought it used last month for 6k. Body is Excellent, inside is plain but ok for me, and it had a new battery pack installed recently and it is a blast to drive for milage or like a regular car when i'm slightly late for work. As a newbie, I easily attained 52mpg right away with the CVT (auto). I have never been a fan of small cars but this changed my mind. It handles very well on country roads...ride is low and stiff like a go-cart but there is no creaking and it is built well. Headroom is gr8, seats fine, storage is minimal but perfect for commute and quick runs to town when milage matters and I don't want to start my main gas guzzler up. The new Insights are so bland compared to this puppy...but they would hold my family once i decide to ditch our larger cars.....I may have to try a Prius but i'm not too excited about it yet."

95+ MPG

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought my '00 used back in '06 because I was driving 3500+ miles a month and it was cheaper to add this car to my collection that it was to feed my truck's gas-appetite. I regularly made runs from San Diego to Los Angeles and Irvine getting 90 - 95 MPG using hypermiling techniques. If not for the limitations of the human bladder, you could drive this little car the length of California on 10 gallons...from Yreka to Tijuana...without ever stopping. My lifetime average was around 64 MPG when I sold it last year. I miss the little guy, but I moved and have a super-short commute now and wanted someone else to enjoy it! I got $4000 above the KBB private party value because gas was $4.00 a gallon and Insights were impossible to find used! After adding 69,000 miles to the little guy, I sold it for $300 less than I bought it for. Amazing."

Great gas mileage

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"consistent 60 mpg, average 55 city and highway on a automatic, i drive pretty hard, had this car for 3 months, great car, ample storage for my means (carpool commute), comfortable seats, good visibility, cruising at 75mph feels like 50mph, finding myself needing to slowing down all the time, handling is very good."

Honda Insight

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Insight as a second owner since 2004 and this vehicle is excellent! We bought it as a commuter vehicle, and it has been so much more. This car defines basic transportation, because it does everything so predictably well. I have taken a few long distance trips in it and enjoyed not paying a lot for gas, but after a few hours, I can notice how stiff the ride really is. Honda saved weight by putting in a minimal suspension. I still don't mind the weight saving measures on the Insight because we have saved so much money by owning it. Maintenance has been minimal over the years too. I have only replaced the tires once. I finally replaced the front brake pads last spring. With the weight of the car being so low and the engine doing the majority of the braking anyway, brakes don't see the same extreme conditions that conventional vehicle brakes experience. I changed the starter battery once. The only other maintenance that I have needed to has been routine oil and filter changes. The 3 liter engine only takes 2.6 quarts of oil, so oil changes don't even cost much. I don't think I will ever get rid of my Insight because I am so pleased with it!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "super mileage when you learn to drive for mileage"

Cons: "drive like normal car, gets only 60-70 mpg"

"It is by far the best car I have ever owned. It takes a little bit of learning to keep the mileage up because of both the lean burn engine and the electric motor. Once you figure it out it is easy to get awesome mileage. My best was 1016 miles with a fill of 10.2 gallons 99.6 mpg. Granted I was on back roads and only driving 45-50 mph. My overall mileage has been 75. During the summer it is fairly easy to maintain low to mid 80s if you drive for fuel mileage. Even with 120,000 miles it still is solid with no rattles. The interior shows very little wear except for the carpeting. Because of the aluminum construction it is imposable to rust. Over all, if you can find one grab it, they are hard to find and only getting harder."